Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
An Iconic Ohio
Home Is Up for Grabs
Nov 15, 2022 10:19 AM CST
An Iconic Ohio Home Is Up for Grabs
Cleveland house used in 'A Christmas Story,' plus a museum and gift shop, has been listed
- You could spend Christmas—and every other day of the year—in the house made famous by
A Christmas Story
. The century-old home in Cleveland, used to house the family of Ralphie Parker in the 1983 film, is up for sale as part of a listing that includes a museum,...
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
In Swing State,
Jul 6, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
In Swing State, Biden Says He's Helping Workers
President attacks GOP in announcing completion of plan keeping pension funds solvent
- President Biden reassured a gathering of union workers in Ohio on Wednesday, telling them he'll protect them and their pensions. "Who is the backbone of this country? It's you, the American worker," Biden said at Max S. Hayes High School in Cleveland, the Hill reports. "...
Cleveland Is Trying to Gain
a New Nickname
Mar 27, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Cleveland Is Trying to Gain a New Nickname
Politico takes a look at 'Kindland'
- The concept of “kindness” is not hard to grasp, especially in contrast to things like cruelty, selfishness, and bullying. In Cleveland, it's the root of a brand, “ Kindland ,” launched in 2020 by an insurance salesman come social entrepreneur whose ultimate goal is “to make kindness...
Pair Face Prison After
Felling 'Irreplaceable' Tree
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Pair Face Prison After Felling 'Irreplaceable' Tree
250-year-old black walnut tree, among Ohio's largest, was on park district land
- A brother and sister in Ohio could face prison after cutting down what a prosecutor describes as an "irreplaceable" black walnut tree, one of the largest in the state and perhaps more than 250 years old. "This is so ridiculous that they're doing this," Todd Jones,...
on COVID: 'Help'
Dec 20, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Ohio Hospitals' One-Word Plea on COVID: 'Help'
Medical centers in Cleveland area, Minnesota beg people to get vaxxed in major newspaper ads
- One word dominates a full-page advertisement that appeared in Sunday's
, Ohio's biggest newspaper. "Help," reads the bold-font plea, surrounded by white space, smack in the middle of the ad placed by the heads of six of the Cleveland area's medical facilities to try...
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Donald Trump Really Hates
Cleveland Team's New Name
Jul 24, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Donald Trump Really Hates Cleveland Team's New Name
Former president declared himself a 'FORMER' baseball fan
- Donald Trump is so mad about the Cleveland Guardians that he doesn’t even like baseball anymore. The former president weighed in on the Cleveland Major League Baseball team changing its name to the Guardians Friday. In a statement, Trump wrote that he is a “FORMER” baseball fan and...
Into Wrong Patient
Jul 13, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Kidney Transplanted Into Wrong Patient
2 hospital employees are on administrative leave
- Getting the right organ into the right person is a crucial step in the organ transplant process, and an Ohio hospital system is trying to figure out how it went wrong. University Hospitals in Cleveland says a kidney intended for someone else ended up in the wrong patient in a...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted,
Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
Jun 15, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted, Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
'You killed my baby,' she screamed at Tevin Biles-Thomas
- "You killed my baby," a woman screamed as she ran toward Tevin Biles-Thomas in a makeshift courtroom in a Cleveland convention center complex Tuesday, moments after the 26-year-old was acquitted of a triple murder on New Year's Eve 2018. "You have to be f------ kidding me,...
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can
Go On Because He's Dead'
Feb 9, 2021 7:44 AM CST
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can Go On Because He's Dead'
Victims' families relieved after serial killer, rapist Anthony Sowell dies in prison hospital
- A serial killer and rapist who terrorized Cleveland before the bodies of 11 women were found on his property has died on death row. "Cleveland strangler" Anthony Sowell was moved Jan. 21 from Ohio's Chillicothe Correctional Institute to the end-of-life care unit at the Franklin Medical Center in...
Jan 29, 2021 2:45 PM CST
COVID Protesters Face Felony Charges Over Megaphone
Restaurant worker in Cleveland says she suffered permanent hearing loss
- Two people are accused of causing permanent hearing loss to a Cleveland restaurant employee while using megaphones during a coronavirus protest outside the eatery, per the AP . Both are now facing felony assault charges. Josiah Douglas, 25, of Cleveland, and Sydney Yahner, 21, of Willoughby were indicted last week by...
No Federal Charges
in Tamir Rice Case
Dec 30, 2020 12:05 AM CST
No Federal Charges in Tamir Rice Case
Justice Department closes case involving Cleveland 12-year-old
- Tamir Rice would have turned 18 this year. But the Cleveland boy died at 12, shot by a police officer less than two seconds after cops arrived at the park where he was playing with a toy gun in broad daylight. On Tuesday, the Justice Department closed the case without...
There's a Frontrunner
Name to Replace 'Indians'
Dec 14, 2020 1:31 PM CST
There's a Frontrunner Name to Replace 'Indians'
The Cleveland Spiders, anyone?
- The Cleveland Indians are poised to drop "Indians" from their name, though the timetable is uncertain. Now the inevitable guessing game has begun on what the new name will be. Both
and CBS Sports suggest the Cleveland Spiders is a frontrunner. This was actually the name of...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
Left Massive Tip
Nov 23, 2020 11:30 AM CST
He Ordered One Beer, Left Massive Tip
Good Samaritan leaves $3K at jazz club that's closing till the spring due to COVID
- A man wandered into Cleveland's Nighttown jazz club over the weekend and ordered just one beer—a purchase that WKYC notes would usually warrant a buck or two for a tip. This customer left a whole lot more, though: $3,000, and it was no drunken mistake. In a...
The 'Terminator' Just Got
Another Body Upgrade
Oct 24, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
The 'Terminator' Just Got Another Body Upgrade
Arnold Schwarzenegger, 73, has heart surgery to get a new aortic valve
- Even the "Terminator" gets laid up now and again.
reports that actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is on the mend after undergoing heart surgery in Cleveland. "Thanks to the team at the Cleveland Clinic, I have a new aortic valve to go along with my...
Fails to Send Out Ballots
Oct 17, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
'Overwhelmed' Company Fails to Send Out Ballots
The media spotlight falls on Midwest Direct
- A company tasked with supplying absentee ballots to counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania has kinda blown it—at least in some counties, so far. And the company, Midwest Direct, is unabashedly pro-Trump. "We have freedom to vote for who we want and support who we want," co-owner Richard...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Fed-Up Rod Stewart Offers to Pay for People's Hospital Scans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.