Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Donald Trump Really Hates
Cleveland Team's New Name
Jul 24, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Donald Trump Really Hates Cleveland Team's New Name
Former president declared himself a 'FORMER' baseball fan
- Donald Trump is so mad about the Cleveland Guardians that he doesn’t even like baseball anymore. The former president weighed in on the Cleveland Major League Baseball team changing its name to the Guardians Friday. In a statement, Trump wrote that he is a “FORMER” baseball fan and...
Into Wrong Patient
Jul 13, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Kidney Transplanted Into Wrong Patient
2 hospital employees are on administrative leave
- Getting the right organ into the right person is a crucial step in the organ transplant process, and an Ohio hospital system is trying to figure out how it went wrong. University Hospitals in Cleveland says a kidney intended for someone else ended up in the wrong patient in a...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted,
Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
Jun 15, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted, Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
'You killed my baby,' she screamed at Tevin Biles-Thomas
- "You killed my baby," a woman screamed as she ran toward Tevin Biles-Thomas in a makeshift courtroom in a Cleveland convention center complex Tuesday, moments after the 26-year-old was acquitted of a triple murder on New Year's Eve 2018. "You have to be f------ kidding me,...
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can
Go On Because He's Dead'
Feb 9, 2021 7:44 AM CST
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can Go On Because He's Dead'
Victims' families relieved after serial killer, rapist Anthony Sowell dies in prison hospital
- A serial killer and rapist who terrorized Cleveland before the bodies of 11 women were found on his property has died on death row. "Cleveland strangler" Anthony Sowell was moved Jan. 21 from Ohio's Chillicothe Correctional Institute to the end-of-life care unit at the Franklin Medical Center in...
Jan 29, 2021 2:45 PM CST
COVID Protesters Face Felony Charges Over Megaphone
Restaurant worker in Cleveland says she suffered permanent hearing loss
- Two people are accused of causing permanent hearing loss to a Cleveland restaurant employee while using megaphones during a coronavirus protest outside the eatery, per the AP . Both are now facing felony assault charges. Josiah Douglas, 25, of Cleveland, and Sydney Yahner, 21, of Willoughby were indicted last week by...
No Federal Charges
in Tamir Rice Case
Dec 30, 2020 12:05 AM CST
No Federal Charges in Tamir Rice Case
Justice Department closes case involving Cleveland 12-year-old
- Tamir Rice would have turned 18 this year. But the Cleveland boy died at 12, shot by a police officer less than two seconds after cops arrived at the park where he was playing with a toy gun in broad daylight. On Tuesday, the Justice Department closed the case without...
There's a Frontrunner
Name to Replace 'Indians'
Dec 14, 2020 1:31 PM CST
There's a Frontrunner Name to Replace 'Indians'
The Cleveland Spiders, anyone?
- The Cleveland Indians are poised to drop "Indians" from their name, though the timetable is uncertain. Now the inevitable guessing game has begun on what the new name will be. Both
and CBS Sports suggest the Cleveland Spiders is a frontrunner. This was actually the name of...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
Left Massive Tip
Nov 23, 2020 11:30 AM CST
He Ordered One Beer, Left Massive Tip
Good Samaritan leaves $3K at jazz club that's closing till the spring due to COVID
- A man wandered into Cleveland's Nighttown jazz club over the weekend and ordered just one beer—a purchase that WKYC notes would usually warrant a buck or two for a tip. This customer left a whole lot more, though: $3,000, and it was no drunken mistake. In a...
The 'Terminator' Just Got
Another Body Upgrade
Oct 24, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
The 'Terminator' Just Got Another Body Upgrade
Arnold Schwarzenegger, 73, has heart surgery to get a new aortic valve
- Even the "Terminator" gets laid up now and again.
reports that actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is on the mend after undergoing heart surgery in Cleveland. "Thanks to the team at the Cleveland Clinic, I have a new aortic valve to go along with my...
Fails to Send Out Ballots
Oct 17, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
'Overwhelmed' Company Fails to Send Out Ballots
The media spotlight falls on Midwest Direct
- A company tasked with supplying absentee ballots to counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania has kinda blown it—at least in some counties, so far. And the company, Midwest Direct, is unabashedly pro-Trump. "We have freedom to vote for who we want and support who we want," co-owner Richard...
These 11 Cities Receive
a COVID Warning
Jul 23, 2020 12:54 PM CDT
These 11 Cities Receive a COVID Warning
Dr. Birx is worried about Baltimore, Cleveland, and 9 others
- White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Deborah Birx is worried about 11 US cities in particular because of a surge in positive tests, according to a report by the Center for Public Integrity . Birx warned state and local leaders—the exact participants are unclear—in a private phone call...
Here Are the Happiest,
Least Happy US Cities
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Here Are the Happiest, Least Happy US Cities
Half of the top 10 cities brimming with joy are in the Golden State
- Happiness may be a state of mind, but it may also depend on the state of where you live. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's biggest cities to see how they ranked in terms of contentment, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being,...
She Was Captive
for a Decade.
But 'He Couldn't
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2020 3:30 PM CST
She Was Captive for a Decade. But 'He Couldn't Break Me'
Michelle Knight on Ariel Castro and making the most of life
- There's no need to be pessimistic about 2020. "You can overcome all obstacles that stand in your way," says Michelle Knight, who experienced more than enough hardships before spending 11 years as Ariel Castro's sex slave in Cleveland. "You name it, I went through it,...
'Popping Off Rounds'
on NYE Killed Girlfriend
Jan 2, 2020 1:24 AM CST
Cops: Man 'Popping Off Rounds' on NYE Killed Girlfriend
Cleveland man was arrested at the scene
- A Cleveland man is going to have a very unhappy 2020 because of his reckless way of celebrating the new year—and his girlfriend isn't going to have one at all. Police say the 38-year-old man fatally injured his girlfriend while "popping off rounds" shortly after midnight at...
Faux Fur Wearer Stabbed. This
Isn't Suspect's First Charge
Nov 22, 2019 2:49 PM CST
Faux Fur Wearer Stabbed. This Isn't Suspect's First Charge
Police say suspect Meredith Lowell once solicited hitmen online to kill people wearing fur
- An Ohio woman charged with attempted murder in a stabbing prompted by the victim wearing what appeared to be fur boots was accused of planning similar crimes in 2012. Police say Meredith Lowell, 35, stabbed a woman at a church in Cleveland Heights on Wednesday. The victim had just brought...
Cleveland Browns Player's
Girlfriend Killed in Front of Him
Sep 12, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Cleveland Browns Player's Girlfriend Killed in Front of Him
She was hit by car after Lamborghini's tire blew out
- The girlfriend of Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith was hit and killed by a car early Wednesday—less than a month after she gave birth to their daughter. The team says 26-year-old Petra Cordero died in front of Smith after a tire in the Lamborghini he was driving blew...
Simone Biles' Brother
Charged in Triple Murder
Aug 30, 2019 7:49 AM CDT
Simone Biles' Brother Charged in Triple Murder
Tevin Biles-Thomas accused in New Year's Eve shooting in Cleveland
- The brother of Olympic gymnast Simone Biles has been charged with multiple counts of murder tied to a New Year's Eve shooting in Cleveland, Ohio. Tevin Biles-Thomas, 24, is from Cleveland but was arrested Thursday at Fort Stewart in Georgia, where he's on active duty with the Army,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Trapped in Car, Woman Dies at Edge of Niagara Falls
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.