Jennifer Lopez once described her relationship with Alex Rodriguez as "a matching of ... twin souls." But those souls are now "better as friends," the Hollywood power couple said in a Thursday statement to Today, announcing their breakup.
- "We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects. We wish the best for each other and one another's children," the statement reads.
- Lopez, 51, and Rodriguez, 45, who each have two kids, first stepped out as a couple in 2017. They were engaged in 2019 and had plans to marry in 2020 before the pandemic took hold.
- "I'm a little heartbroken because we did have some great plans," singer-actress Lopez told Today last year about their postponed wedding. "I'm also like, 'You know what? God has a bigger plan.'" And "maybe it's going to be better."
- Rumors of a split surfaced last month—Lopez told Allure that the pair had been to therapy—but the couple said they were just "working through some things."
- The rumors spread again this week after Lopez—who's in the Dominican Republic filming Shotgun Wedding with Josh Duhamel, who replaced Armie Hammer—posted photos from the set, which showed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring.
- Around the same time, reports suggested former MLB All-Star Rodriguez was looking to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves without Lopez, who'd joined with him on a previous bid on the New York Mets, per TMZ.
- Confirmation of the split followed. "We have realized we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so," reads Thursday's statement, adding thanks to those who "sent kind words and support."
(Read more celebrity breakup