After weeks of speculation, we finally know who will play The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo...and it's not Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, or Kristen Stewart. No, the coveted role of hacker Lisbeth Salander went to relative unknown Rooney Mara, director David Fincher's first choice. Five things you should know about Mara, courtesy of the New York Daily News, Variety, E!, and Deadline:
- She beat out a lot of people: In addition to those mentioned above, Mara also reportedly bested Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska, and Carey Mulligan.
- She comes from a famous family: Her great-grandfathers founded the New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers, and her sister Kate appeared in Brokeback Mountain and Iron Man 2. As for Mara herself, her biggest role to date is Nancy Holbrook in the reboot of A Nightmare on Elm Street.
- She's already worked with Fincher: He cast her in The Social Network, his movie about Facebook, and he fought for Mara when Sony wasn't convinced she was right as Salander.
- She joins an exciting cast: Daniel Craig, Robin Wright, and Stellan Skarsgard also star, and Max von Sydow is in talks.
- She's not just an actress: The 25-year-old studied psychology and social policy at New York University, and she oversees a charity she founded for Kenyan orphans.
The film is set for a Dec. 21, 2011 release. Can't get enough? Click here
for more on Mara, including video clips and interviews. (Read more The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo