Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Year's Harvest Moon
Will Be Spectacular
Sep 28, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
This Year's Harvest Moon Will Be Spectacular
It's the last supermoon of the year
- This has been a banner year for moon-watchers, and there are four full moons still to go, including the last supermoon of the year. The harvest moon, the last of four supermoons in a row, will appear full Thursday evening and reach its peak around 6am ET on Friday, NPR...
India Can't Rouse
Its Moon Rover
Sep 22, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
India Can't Rouse Its Moon Rover
Lander and rover are dormant at the frigid south pole after a 2-week nap
- India's mission to the moon can already be counted as a historic success, but this might put a damper on how it ends: The nation's space agency can't rouse its lunar lander or lunar rover after a two-week nap, reports New Scientist . The machines deliberately went into...
Traced to a
Sep 13, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Moonquakes Traced to a Human-Made Source
Apollo 17 lunar module base 'starts popping off' every lunar morning as it warms, researchers find
- Sensors placed on the lunar surface during the Apollo 17 mission listened for vibrations over a period of several months and helped establish four types of moonquakes: those triggered by meteorite impacts; shallow quakes, possibly triggered by shrinkage due to a cooling interior ; deep quakes, tidal in origin ; and thermal...
There's a Celestial
You Won't See
Again Till 2037
Aug 30, 2023 1:38 PM CDT
There's a Celestial Event Tonight You Won't See Again Till 2037
August gets itself a super blue moon, which doesn't come around all the time
- If you're midway through another boring Wednesday, here's how to jazz things up: Go outside tonight and gawk at a celestial sight that won't be seen again for another 14 years. As Space.com reports, a pretty rare super blue moon will be dangling in the skies...
India's Lunar Rover
Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
Aug 25, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
India's Lunar Rover Keeps Doing Its Moon Walk
No glitches so far after historic touch-down earlier this week
- India's lunar rover continued its walk on the moon Friday after the historic touch-down of India's spacecraft near the moon's south pole earlier this week, the country's space agency said. The rover's data collection and experiments could help determine if there is oxygen and hydrogen...
Russia's First Moon Mission
in Decades Ends in a Crash
Aug 20, 2023 6:26 AM CDT
Russia's First Moon Mission in Decades Ends in a Crash
Luna-25 lander rams into the moon while preparing to land
- Russia's first attempt to return to the moon since 1976 has ended in an explosion. The nation's Luna-25 lander spun out of control while preparing to land and rammed into the moon's surface, reports CNN . "The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist...
This Is a Pretty Rare
Month for Moon Watchers
Aug 1, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
This Is a Pretty Rare Month for Moon Watchers
We'll get 2 full moons, and both are 'supermoons,' with the first on Tuesday evening
- August will be a marvelous month for a moon watch, two times over. As NPR explains, August not only has two full moons, it has two supermoons—full moons that appear bigger than usual because they occur when the moon is closest to Earth during its orbit around us. August...
Again to Nail
Jul 14, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
India Tries Again to Nail Moon Landing
After failed 2019 mission, country launches Chandrayaan-3 with a rover and lander
- An Indian spacecraft blazed its way to the far side of the moon Friday in a follow-up mission to its failed effort nearly four years ago to land a rover softly on the lunar surface, the country's space agency said. Chandrayaan-3, the word for "moon craft" in Sanskrit,...
'Man in the Moon' Is More
Ancient Than We Thought
Jul 13, 2023 12:44 PM CDT
'Man in the Moon' Is More Ancient Than We Thought
New dating indicates parts of lunar crust are 200M years older than previously thought
- Scientists believe the moon formed 4.5 billion years ago based on studies of lunar rocks. But dating the lunar surface is less cut and dried. As only so many lunar samples are returned to Earth, scientists have traditionally counted craters as a way of dating sections of the lunar...
Break Out the Lawn Chairs—
It's Strawberry Moon Time
Jun 3, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Break Out the Lawn Chairs— It's Strawberry Moon Time
Saturday night, just before midnight, is when last full moon of spring will be at its peak
- The last full moon of spring has arrived. CBS News reports that the so-called strawberry moon will grace the skies this weekend, with peak illumination on Saturday at 11:42pm ET, per NASA . Space.com notes that this particular incarnation of the moon often gives off a "warmer" light...
NASA Finds Japan's
Moon Lander—and Its Dent
May 24, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
NASA Finds Japan's Moon Lander—and Its Dent
NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter snaps photos of impact site in Atlas crater
- The Japanese spacecraft that crashed on the moon earlier this year left a scar that's reportedly at least 200 feet across. Scientists used NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter to zoom in on the site where ispace's Hakuto-R lunar lander crash-landed in the Atlas crater after its rocket engines...
Japanese Spacecraft's Moon
Landing Appears to Fail
Apr 25, 2023 12:57 PM CDT
Japanese Spacecraft's Moon Landing Appears to Fail
Ground control loses contact as unmanned spacecraft attempts to touch down
- A Japanese company lost contact with its spacecraft moments before touchdown on the moon Wednesday, and the lunar lander is presumed to have crashed, per the AP . Contact was lost as the lander descended the final 33 feet while traveling around 16 mph. Controllers peered at their screens in Tokyo,...
Will Be a Big First
Apr 25, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
'White Rabbit' Moon Landing Will Be a Big First
Hakuto lander from Japan firm ispace will be first spacecraft from private company to land on moon
- A Japanese company is about to attempt what no other private business has done: land on the moon. Tokyo's ispace company put its own spacecraft into orbit around the moon a month ago. On Tuesday, flight controllers will direct the craft, named Hakuto (Japanese for "white rabbit")...
NASA's First Moon Crew
in 50 Years Has 3 Big Firsts
Apr 3, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
NASA's First Moon Crew in 50 Years Has 3 Big Firsts
Artemis team includes Black, female, Canadian astronauts
- NASA on Monday named the four astronauts who will fly to the moon by the end of next year, including one woman and three men. The three Americans and one Canadian were introduced during a ceremony in Houston, home to the nation's astronauts as well as Mission Control, the...
All Over the Moon
Mar 28, 2023 12:03 PM CDT
There's Water All Over the Moon
Researchers in China find H2O can be pulled from heated impact beads
- New research suggests trillions of gallons of water are spread across the moon—which should be great news for those planning a lunar colony. Though NASA plans to search for water ice at the lunar south pole, there are signs that water isn't restricted to the poles but is...
Here's the New
Concrete for Mars
Mar 21, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Here's the New Concrete for Mars
StarCrete, twice as strong as ordinary concrete, uses dirt, potato starch, and salt
- Future buildings on the moon and Mars may be built from potato starch. A team at the University of Manchester has come up with a building material, twice as strong as concrete, that can be made in a microwave with a little extra-terrestrial dust, potato starch, and a pinch of...
NASA Is Ready
to Go Back
to the Moon
Mar 8, 2023 2:34 PM CST
NASA Is Ready to Go Back to the Moon
After successful Artemis 1, manned Artemis 2 mission on track to launch in late 2024
- The report card for NASA's Artemis 1 mission is in, and it's a definite pass. The Orion spacecraft that orbited the moon as part of the unmanned 25-day, 1.4 million-mile mission last fall performed better than expected on its second test flight and its first into deep...
Space Agency Says Moon
Should Have Own Time Zone
Feb 28, 2023 6:47 PM CST
Space Agency Says Moon Should Have Own Time Zone
ESA says joint international effort is underway
- With more lunar missions than ever on the horizon, the European Space Agency wants to give the moon its own time zone. "This week, the agency said space organizations around the world are considering how best to keep time on the moon. The idea came up during a meeting...
There's a Space Race On,
and China Could Win It
Jan 2, 2023 3:31 PM CST
There's a Space Race On, and China Could Win It
'We better watch out,' says NASA Administrator Bill Nelson
- "It is a fact: We're in a space race," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson told Politico in a recent interview. And it's not just about politics and bragging rights—there are both national security and practical implications, according to many US officials. "We better watch out...
NASA's Orion Capsule Makes
Crazy-Fast Return From Moon
Dec 11, 2022 12:00 PM CST
NASA's Orion Capsule Makes Crazy-Fast Return From Moon
Capsule hit atmosphere at 32 times the speed of sound
- NASA's Orion capsule made a blisteringly fast return from the moon Sunday, parachuting into the Pacific off Mexico to conclude a 25-day test flight around the moon that should clear the way for astronauts on the next lunar flyby. The incoming capsule hit the atmosphere at Mach 32, or...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.