Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually
Grow in Lunar Stuff'
May 15, 2022 10:03 AM CDT
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Researchers grow plants in dirt brought back from the moon
- For the first time, scientists have grown plants in soil from the moon collected by NASA’s Apollo astronauts. Researchers had no idea if anything would sprout in the harsh moon dirt and wanted to see if it could be used to grow food by the next generation of lunar...
Gas May Hide
Mar 9, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gas May Hide in 50-Year-Old Moon Sample
Sample 73001, vacuum-sealed in 1972, is now being opened
- The last time astronauts set foot on the moon, in 1972, they hammered two 1.5-by-14-inch tubes into the lunar surface, which were then retrieved along with the soil inside. Sample 73002 was brought back to Earth in an unsealed container, which was opened in 2019. But sample 73001 was...
It'll Look Like
Mar 2, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Here's What It'll Look Like When Rocket Crashes Into Moon
Moon dust to fly hundreds of miles from impact crater, which is expected to be quite large
- The moon is about to get walloped by 3 tons of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semitractor-trailers. A leftover rocket will smash into the far side of the moon at 5,800mph on Friday, away from telescopes' prying eyes, the AP...
China: Rocket Set to
Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Feb 23, 2022 6:45 AM CST
China: Rocket Set to Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Experts disagree, say Chang'e-5T1 booster will make impact March 4
- China is denying responsibility for a wayward rocket expected to crash into the far side of the moon next month. Though the rocket was initially misidentified as a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that failed to return to Earth after launching a weather satellite in 2015, experts— including those at NASA'...
Rocket Due to
Crash Into the Moon
Isn't From SpaceX
Feb 15, 2022 2:07 PM CST
Rocket Due to Crash Into the Moon Isn't From SpaceX
Expert says WE0913A is likely a Chinese rocket, launched in 2014
The space expert shouting about a rocket smashing into the moon says he made a big mistake. The item dubbed WE0913A is still projected to hit the dark side of the moon at 7:26am EST on March 4, but it's not the upper stage of a SpaceX...
Think You Can Build a Nuclear
Power Plant On the Moon?
Nov 29, 2021 7:20 PM CST
Think You Can Build a Nuclear Power Plant On the Moon?
If so, NASA would like to hear from you
- NASA wants there to be a nuclear power plant on the moon, and it needs your help. The goal is to build a fission reactor within 10 years, and the plan is to get someone else to get it started, the AP reports. In a statement , Battelle Energy Alliance and...
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Small Space Traveler May Be a First
Rock the size of a Ferris wheel appears to be a long-lost piece of the moon in orbit around sun
- It's not the first asteroid near Earth to show up in astronomers' telescopes, but this one appears to have a rare distinction. The rock dubbed with the Hawaiian name Kamo`oalewa seems to have come not from deep space, but from our own moon, reports the
. Assuming the theory...
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has
Delayed Return to the Moon
Nov 10, 2021 4:07 PM CST
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has Delayed Return to the Moon
Astronauts won't get there until 2025 at the earliest
- NASA says its return to the moon has been pushed back from 2024 until 2025 at the earliest—and a lawsuit from Jeff Bezos' space company is one of the main causes for the delay. "We've lost nearly seven months in litigation, and that likely has pushed the...
a $2B Offer
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Makes NASA a $2B Offer
Ex-Amazon CEO wants to again compete in moon race against SpaceX
- If Elon Musk thought he had the sole lock on building NASA's next lunar landing vehicle, there may be a new wrench in the works. In April, the space agency announced it was offering Musk's SpaceX a $2.9 billion contract to build the spacecraft that will take...
in case you missed it
Jul 24, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Moon Could Help Trigger a Decade of Flooding
Effects on tides might not be huge, but researchers say some coastal areas are 'close to the brim'
- Flooding in the 2030s might make us look back fondly on this decade. NASA sea level researchers say high tide flooding could seriously worsen next decade along US coastlines, NPR reports. That's the sort of flooding in which water invades streets and yards in coastal areas. "Nuisance floods,...
Full Moon Will Be
Putting On a Show
May 25, 2021 1:42 PM CDT
Full Moon Will Be Putting On a Show
People on the West Coast can watch a lunar eclipse early Wednesday
- The first total lunar eclipse in more than two years coincides with a supermoon early Wednesday for quite a cosmic show, per the AP . East Coasters are out of luck when it comes to the eclipse part, though West Coasters will get to see it. This super “blood” moon...
Scientists Want to Store
a 'Lunar Ark' on the Moon
Mar 16, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Scientists Want to Store a 'Lunar Ark' on the Moon
It would hold frozen samples of sperm, eggs in case disaster strikes on Earth
- It's like an emergency kit, but in this case the label would read, "open in case of Armageddon." Scientists are floating the idea of storing samples of sperm, eggs, spores, and seeds from pretty much every life form on Earth up on the moon, reports CBS News...
America's 2 Biggest Rivals
Are Building a Lunar Base
Mar 10, 2021 3:08 PM CST
America's 2 Biggest Rivals Are Building a Lunar Base
China, Russia say they will 'conduct close interaction' on scientific base
- China and Russia are gearing up to become America's biggest rivals on the moon as well as the Earth. China's National Space Agency and Russia's Roscomos agency have announced plans to jointly build a lunar research station, the BBC reports. "China and Russia will use their...
Want to Go on
to the Moon?
Mar 3, 2021 7:21 AM CST
Want to Go on SpaceX Flight to the Moon? He's Paying
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa launches contest for 8 to ride with him to lunar orbit in 2023
- It's a Frank Sinatra song come to life, courtesy of a billionaire. In 2018, tycoon and art collector Yusaku Maezawa, founder of Japanese online fashion mall Zozotown, was announced as the first signed passenger aboard SpaceX's Starship rocket, set to fly to the moon sometime in 2023. At...
Behold, the Wolf Moon
Jan 28, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Behold, the Wolf Moon
Expect some howling as January's full moon peaks Thursday
- It's time to revive the howl in honor of the first full moon of the year. January's full moon is known as the "wolf moon" because "wolves were more often heard howling at this time," per the Old Farmer's Almanac . The traditional belief was...
Japan Thrilled About
'Treasure Box' From Space
Dec 7, 2020 11:14 AM CST
Japan Thrilled About 'Treasure Box' From Space
Capsule with material from asteroid was successfully dropped to Earth
- China's mission to retrieve moon rocks isn't the only successful space feat in the news these days. A small capsule containing asteroid soil samples that was dropped from 136,700 miles in space by Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft landed as planned in the Australian Outback on Sunday, per...
Bezos' Blue Origin Wants
a Woman on the Moon
Dec 6, 2020 9:01 AM CST
Bezos' Blue Origin Wants a Woman on the Moon
NASA getting ready to pick a company to build a moon lander
- If NASA can put 12 men on the moon, Jeff Bezos' space company thinks it can put a woman on our lunar neighbor, reports the
With NASA getting ready to pick between three companies vying to supply it with a lunar lander, Blue Origin posted an Instagram video of...
China Plants Its
Flag on the Moon
Dec 4, 2020 3:26 PM CST
China Plants Its Flag on the Moon
It was left during mission to collect moon rocks
- China did more than collect rocks in this week's mission to the moon . The state-controlled
says the unmanned mission also left behind a national flag. While previous Chinese lunar missions have displayed a flag, this is the first free-standing one from China, made with fabric, to unfurl...
Off to Good Start
Dec 1, 2020 11:10 AM CST
China's Ambitious Moon Mission Off to Good Start
Probe lands, aims to bring back moon rocks
- A Chinese robot probe launched to return lunar rocks to Earth landed on the moon Tuesday, the government announced. Assuming all goes well, the mission will be the first in 40 years to retrieve moon rocks. The Chang'e 5 probe "successfully landed on the moon in the preselected...
Nov 17, 2020 2:38 PM CST
China Readies an Historic Launch
It aims to bring back moon rocks for the first time in 40 years
- China is continuing to flex its space muscles. On Tuesday, it rolled a rocket into place that is scheduled to lift off for an ambitious mission to the moon early next week, reports the AP . The Long March-5 will carry the Chang'e 5, whose mission is to fetch rocks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
Ukraine Ends Battle Over Mariupol Plant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.