Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Sep 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Actor's first one comes out next year
- Tom Hanks' next big venture has no hope of winning him an Oscar—unless it's adapted into a film. The 66-year-old actor is writing his first novel, one that's due out in May 2023, reports
. The book is called
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece,
Loss to Literature'
Sep 23, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Death of Hilary Mantel 'an Enormous Loss to Literature'
British writer who wrote historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell suffered a stroke
- Hilary Mantel, the Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed
saga, has died. She was 70. Mantel died "suddenly yet peacefully," surrounded by close family and friends, publisher HarperCollins said Friday, per the AP . Her longtime literary agent, Bill Hamilton, confirmed to the
New York Times
2K Irish Artists Now Getting
Universal Basic Income
Sep 13, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
2K Irish Artists Now Getting Universal Basic Income
3-year pilot program could transform lives, boost sector, backers say
- Ireland's government has begun paying $325 per week to 2,000 artists—including actors, musicians, writers, and painters—as part of a research program on the effects of universal basic income. The 707 visual artists, 584 musicians, 204 film artists, 184 writers, 173 theater artists, 32 dancers and choreographers,...
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer
Winner Cormac McCarthy
Mar 9, 2022 1:16 PM CST
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer Winner Cormac McCarthy
'The Passenger' and 'Stella Maris' will be first fiction from McCarthy since 2006's 'The Road'
- Cormac McCarthy has two novels coming out this fall, his first fiction releases since the Pulitzer Prize-winning
in 2006. Publisher Alfred A. Knopf announced Tuesday that
, a long-rumored novel about "morality and science" and "the legacy of sin" that McCarthy reportedly began decades ago,...
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Jan 18, 2022 9:05 AM CST
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
AP confirms what was an open secret among family
- For decades renowned Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez kept the public from knowing about an intimate aspect of his life: He had a daughter with a Mexican writer, with whom he had an extramarital affair in the early 1990s. The closely guarded secret was published by Colombian newspaper...
Critics Slam Men
Who Won $1.2M
Oct 18, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
Critics Slam Men Who Won $1.2M Literary Prize: 'Scammers'
'Carmen Mola,' believed to have been a woman, is actually trio of middle-aged Spanish screenwriters
, a gruesome historical thriller about a serial killer in the 1830s, has won one of Spain's top literary prizes, and its author, Carmen Mola—a popular writer known for the "strong female protagonists" in her crime novels, per the
—was supposed to show...
Just Got Weird
Jul 9, 2021 10:31 AM CDT
Remember 'Cat Person'? The Backstory Just Got Weird
Alexis Nowicki says Kristen Roupenian based short story on her
- More than three years ago, at the peak of the #MeToo movement, a short story in the
went viral, earning Kristen Roupenian a book contract and movie deal . This week, however, a swerve: In an essay for Slate , Alexis Nowicki says the main female character in Roupenian's...
Restored Novel by Late Author
a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
May 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Restored Novel by Late Author a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
Richard Wright's 'The Man Who Lived Underground' is already a bestseller
- More than 60 years after his death, Richard Wright is again a bestselling author, and very much in line with the present.
The Man Who Lived Underground
, a short novel written in the 1940s and never published in full until this spring, is the surreal but credible story of Fred...
She Began as a Librarian. Then
She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Mar 27, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
She Began as a Librarian. Then She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Children's author Beverly Cleary dies at 104
- Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children's author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104. Cleary's publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Carmel Valley, Calif., where she'...
Dead at 84
Mar 26, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Writer Who Captured the 'American Experience' Dead at 84
Larry McMurtry won Pulitzer for 'Lonesome Dove,' Oscar for 'Brokeback Mountain' screenplay
- He was a novelist, screenwriter, and nonfiction author, known for several books that ended up adapted for the big screen. Larry McMurtry, described by the
Los Angeles Times
as "one of the most acclaimed writers of the American experience," died at the age of 84 on Thursday at...
He Called Poland's President
a 'Moron,' Now Faces Prison
Mar 23, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
He Called Poland's President a 'Moron,' Now Faces Prison
Writer Jakub Zulczyk apparently violated article making it a crime to insult the head of state
- A popular Polish writer is facing a potential sentence of up to three years in prison for calling the nation's president a "moron" on social media, per the AP . Jakub Zulczyk had criticized the manner in which Polish President Andrzej Duda—a close ally of former President Trump—...
Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
Jan 6, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Bestselling Novelist Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
He died from cancer on Sunday
- Eric Jerome Dickey, the bestselling novelist who blended crime, romance, and eroticism in
Waking With Enemies
; and dozens of other stories about contemporary Black life, has died at age 59. Dickey's publicist at Penguin Random House told the AP that the author died of cancer Sunday in...
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Jul 22, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Nadim Shamma-Sourgen writes 'purely childlike' poems
- Not many poets try picking their nose on national television. But then, Nadim Shamma-Sourgen doesn't have much media experience: He just landed his first book deal at the age of four, the
reports. "The poems talk about such important feelings, like love and loneliness, and Nadim finds...
Idea for Kids
May 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
JK Rowling's Idea for Kids in Lockdown Starts Today
She'll be releasing 'The Ickabog,' a 'political fairy tale,' in 34 free installments ahead of print edition
- JK Rowling is set to release her first children's book unrelated to the
series—and this time it's free.
, a fairy tale "about truth and the abuse of power" in an imaginary land, written "in fits and starts" between the
JK Rowling to
'Tell Me the
May 22, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Asks JK Rowling to 'Tell Me the Truth.' So She Did
Author reveals 'true birthplace' of her 'Harry Potter' books: a London apartment
- On Thursday, a
fan implored JK Rowling on Twitter to "tell me the truth"—and she did, with a reveal that may have surprised many readers. CNN notes that the initial tweet included a picture of the Elephant House, a coffeehouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has...
A Hacker Did
This to Me
May 10, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Neil Gaiman: A Hacker Did This to Me
The 'American Gods' author sees his marital woes go public
- Really, I was hacked. That's all it is. So said Neil Gaiman after his Goodreads account showed he was reading the book
Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder
while his marriage fell into disarray, Mashable reports. His marital woes became public recently when...
At Age 4, He
Knew He'd Write.
His Creation: a
Mar 31, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
At Age 4, He Knew He'd Write. His Creation: a Famous Witch
'Strega Nona' author Tomie dePaola dies at age 85 after complications, surgery following a bad fall
- Tomie dePaola, the prolific children's author and illustrator who delighted generations with tales of Strega Nona, the kindly and helpful old witch in Italy, died Monday at age 85 at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH, according to his literary agent. He was badly injured in a fall...
World War Z
Author Calls Out
'Onion of Layered Lies'
Mar 25, 2020 3:42 PM CDT
World War Z
Author Calls Out 'Onion of Layered Lies'
Max Brooks says government could've prevented much of the current panic
- Of the coronavirus-themed celebrity PSAs released so far, Max Brooks' entry with his famous dad Mel—in which the two communicate with each other through a sliding-glass door—has become one of the most shared . The author of 2006's apocalyptic
World War Z
explains to SYFY Wir e that...
of Me,' She
Dec 24, 2019 11:30 AM CST
Romance 'Came Out of Me,' She Said. Now She's Gone
Johanna Lindsey died this year at age 67
- One of the world's best-loved romance writers is gone. Johanna Lindsey—whose pirates, aristocrats, and brave heroines sold at least 60 million copies—died earlier this year with stage 4 lung cancer, the
New York Times
reports. She was only 67. "Since I was old enough to appreciate...
Has a Surprising Author
Nov 29, 2019 8:45 AM CST
Centuries-Old Manuscript Has a Surprising Author
Queen Elizabeth I's messy handwriting was the big giveaway, historian says
- In what the
is calling a "royal bombshell," a centuries-old manuscript recently unearthed in a UK library turns out to have been penned by someone rather unexpected. The 42-page text, a translation of a book by the Roman historian Tacitus, has taken up residence at London'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.