Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
In Silicon Valley,
This Job Pays a
Oct 28, 2017 2:27 PM CDT
In Silicon Valley, This Job Pays a 'Startling' Salary
Become an AI specialist, kids
US News & World Report
is out with a list of the 10 best jobs for millennials (No. 1 is web developer, No. 2 is dental hygienist), and says its list took into consideration the group's priorities. And, per a survey it did of 1,000 millennials, salary...
Elon Musk Sees AI as
'Most Likely Cause' of WWIII
Sep 5, 2017 7:27 AM CDT
Elon Musk Sees AI as 'Most Likely Cause' of WWIII
His comments were spurred by Vladimir Putin's thoughts on artificial intelligence
- Vladimir Putin has talked about a great many subjects lately, and artificial intelligence is one of them. The Verge reported that on Friday the Russian president had this to say to students he was speaking to: "Artificial intelligence is the future, not only for Russia, but for all humankind....
Elon Musk, AI Experts Warn
of 'Pandora's Box' of Weapons
Aug 21, 2017 10:35 AM CDT
Elon Musk, AI Experts Warn of 'Pandora's Box' of Weapons
Open letter asks for ban of autonomous 'killer robots'
- Elon Musk's wariness on artificial intelligence is well documented, and he just stepped up his anti-robot efforts with a note to the United Nations. The
reports that the Tesla CEO and Alphabet's Mustafa Suleyman, along with nearly 120 robotics and AI specialists from more than two dozen...
Your Roomba May Be
Up to No Good
Jul 26, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Your Roomba May Be Up to No Good
iRobot is considering selling consumer info to Amazon, Apple, or Google
- It may be "smart" to put robots to work in your home—but is it wise? Consumers who want the blueprint and contents of their homes kept private may be wary at news coming out of iRobot, which makes the Roomba robotic vacuum. Per the
New York Times
Elon Musk: Zuckerberg's
Understanding of AI Is 'Limited'
Jul 25, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Zuckerberg's Understanding of AI Is 'Limited'
Tesla founder hits back after Facebook founder questions his concerns
- Mark Zuckerberg has "thrown shade" at Elon Musk before regarding Musk's wariness of artificial intelligence, most recently on Sunday. On Tuesday, the Tesla founder threw some shade of his own right back. Musk is concerned that artificial intelligence could someday threaten humanity, possibly becoming more dangerous than nuclear...
Toyota's Next Model
Reaches for the Sky
Jun 3, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
Toyota's Next Model Reaches for the Sky
Japanese automaker's 'flying car' isn't all it has planned
- Toyota is working on a "flying car." The AP reports the startup backed by the Japanese automaker has developed a test model that engineers hope will eventually develop into a tiny car with a driver who'll be able to light the Olympic torch in the 2020 Tokyo...
The Jobs That
Bots Will Take
Jun 1, 2017 12:46 PM CDT
The Jobs That Bots Will Take Over First
Translators and truck drivers, beware
- It’s not a question of "if," but "when" artificial intelligence will be able to perform your job better than you do, reports the
MIT Technology Review
. So when is when? That depends on what you do. According to 352 AI experts surveyed by researchers at the...
Musk: I Want
to Link Brains
in 4 Years
Apr 21, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
Musk: I Want to Link Brains to Computers in 4 Years
SpaceX CEO's new Neuralink firm would initially do this to help brain-injured humans
- Elon Musk might be somewhat skittish at the prospect of artificial intelligence (or at least at its more nefarious potential), but that hasn't curbed his latest goal: merging human brains with computers by the time we reach the next presidential inauguration, Reuters reports. In what TechCrunch calls "the...
Machine Learning Has
a Weakness: Humans
Apr 14, 2017 12:03 PM CDT
Machine Learning Has a Weakness: Humans
Study finds that artificial intelligence can adopt our racism, sexism
- Artificial intelligence has come a long way in recent years, and algorithms with machine-learning applications are proving skillful at things like playing poker, lip-reading, and, unfortunately, being biased. Researchers at Princeton proved the point in an experiment involving an algorithm known as GloVe , which has learned about 840 billion words...
Elon Musk Is
of the Robots
Mar 31, 2017 7:10 PM CDT
Elon Musk Is Quite Frightened of the Robots Taking Over
He's '[cueing] the scary organ music' on artificial intelligence: 'Vanity Fair'
- While Elon Musk embraces the sci-fi nature of colonizing other planets, he's not exactly a superfan of the sci-fi concept of robot overlords. The CEO of both Tesla and SpaceX is terrified of artificial intelligence, Maureen Dowd reveals in
, and doesn't think Silicon Valley should be...
Elon Musk's New Project
Will Merge Brains, Computers
Mar 28, 2017 4:17 AM CDT
Elon Musk's New Project Will Merge Brains, Computers
He wants to make 'neural lace' a reality
- Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk's new venture isn't rocket science—it's brain surgery. The futurist entrepreneur's new company, Neuralink Corp., plans to merge human brains with computers, insiders tell the
Wall Street Journal
. The computer interface would become part of the brain with the help...
Hands Us 'Crushing
Defeat for Humanity'
Jan 31, 2017 10:17 AM CST
Poker-Playing Bot Hands Us 'Crushing Defeat for Humanity'
Libratus wins big for artificial intelligence
- Four of the world's best poker players are hanging their heads after recently losing $1.8 million in chips to Libratus. But Libratus isn't some card shark with a one-name brand: It's a computer that's been soundly trouncing humans—specifically, Dong Kim, Jason Les, Jimmy Chou,...
Is Now an AI
Jan 20, 2017 3:47 PM CST
Kristen Stewart Is Now an AI Researcher
She's a co-author on 'style transfer' case study
- If she ever abandons acting, Kristen Stewart might have a gig in artificial intelligence. The
actress has just published a research paper on a machine learning technique called "neural style transfer" and its use in film, reports Quartz . Style transfer is a "fun technique," according to...
Oct 30, 2016 1:10 PM CDT
Finally, a Traffic Light That Makes Driving Better
Artificial intelligence could be coming to a block near you
- If you've ever called a traffic light "dumb," well, you're technically correct. Amidst the proliferation of smart devices, traffic lights have largely remained conventional, their colors changing based on preprogrammed timing that can go years without being adjusted. But there's a noteworthy exception, and it'...
Robots Try to Write a Beatles
Song, Kind of Pull It Off
Sep 26, 2016 11:17 AM CDT
Robots Try to Write a Beatles Song, Kind of Pull It Off
Come together, artificial intelligence and humans
- There'll never be a bona fide Beatles reunion, but scientists at Sony's CSL research lab have come up with an alternative: a song written by artificial intelligence that sounds like something that could've been penned by the Fab Four, TNW reports. Quartz calls "Daddy's Car,...
Get Called Racist
Sep 9, 2016 6:35 PM CDT
Robots Judge Beauty Contest, Get Called Racist
Artificial intelligence was supposed to eliminate bias—but most winners were light-skinned
- Can robots be racist? It appears that way, per results from Beauty.AI , a beauty competition designed to take prejudices out of the mix by having algorithms do the judging instead of humans. But results from the competition indicate that even 'bots have biases, the
reports. Forty-four winners...
Jun 28, 2016 5:21 PM CDT
Robot Lawyer Helps Humans Beat 160K Parking Tickets
And its inventor is only 19 years old
- By the time he was 18, London native Joshua Browder had already racked up 30 parking tickets, the
reports. That's even more impressive considering the legal driving age in the UK is 18. “I decided that instead of paying for them, I should try and fight,"...
Microsoft's AI Teen Chatbot
Got Loose, Went Crazy (Again)
Mar 31, 2016 1:33 AM CDT
Microsoft's AI Teen Chatbot Got Loose, Went Crazy (Again)
'I feel like the lamest piece of technology'
- Tay—Microsoft's artificially intelligent millennial Twitter chatbot last seen turning into Hitler —woke up from her forced slumber for a brief moment Wednesday morning. Spoiler: She's still crazy. TechCrunch reports Tay went on a "spam tirade," tweeting the phrase, "You are too fast, please...
Microsoft Made a Teen AI,
We Made It Hitler
Mar 24, 2016 5:31 PM CDT
Microsoft Made a Teen AI, We Made It Hitler
How 15 hours on Twitter ruined the millennial chatbot
- Microsoft's artificially intelligent teen chatbot Tay is self-aware, and she is horrible. Vox reports Microsoft unleashed Tay—an "AI fam from the internet that's got zero chill"—into the wild this week to learn how to have a conversation. Unfortunately, it learned those conversation skills from...
Triumphs Over AI
in Ancient Game
Mar 13, 2016 6:00 AM CDT
Man Finally Triumphs Over AI in Ancient Game
Lee Sedol pulls a win out after 3 losses against AlphaGo
- A champion Go player scored his first win over Go-playing computer software on Sunday after losing three straight times in the ancient Chinese game. Lee Sedol's victory over AlphaGo served as a reminder that Google's Go-playing program is not perfect. Lee had said that he lost earlier games...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.