Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Illinois Is First State
to Eliminate Cash Bail
Jul 18, 2023 5:18 PM CDT
Illinois Is First State to Eliminate Cash Bail
State's top court upholds new law
- Illinois became the first state in the nation to eliminate cash bail as a condition of pretrial release from jail on Tuesday when the state Supreme Court upheld the constitutionally of the law abolishing it. The 5-2 ruling overturns a Kankakee County judge's opinion in December that the law...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Are Making a Big Ask
Dec 23, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Are Making a Big Ask
James, Jennifer Crumbley say they're 'devastated' about shooting, want bail lowered
- The parents of a teenager charged with killing four students at a Michigan high school didn't anticipate he would commit violence and are "devastated" like others in the community, a lawyer said Wednesday in requesting they be granted a lower bond. James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with...
Ghislaine Maxwell: Male
Predators Weren't Denied Bail
Apr 1, 2021 4:42 PM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell: Male Predators Weren't Denied Bail
Lawyers want the onetime girfriend of Jeffrey Epstein freed to assist in her defense
- Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein didn't have to put up with this, an attorney for Ghislaine Maxwell has told a court. "Wealthy men charged with similar or more serious offenses, many of whom have foreign ties, are routinely granted bail so that they can effectively prepare for trial,...
Ghislaine Maxwell Really
Does Not Want to Be in Jail
Feb 24, 2021 7:39 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Really Does Not Want to Be in Jail
In 3rd try for bail, Epstein associate's attorneys say she'll give up UK, French citizenships
- Ghislaine Maxwell has been in jail since last July, and her trial on charges she aided in Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking of minors won't begin until this July. That means she's got at least four months, if not more, to wait things out behind bars—a prospect...
First State to
Feb 24, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Illinois Becomes First State to Eliminate Cash Bail
Governor signs bill into law
- Illinois on Monday became the first state to do away with cash bail. Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker signed a sweeping criminal justice reform bill into law, and said that piece of the legislation will take the state "from a system of pretrial detention that prioritizes wealth to one that...
Gets More Bad News
Jan 6, 2021 6:41 AM CST
WikiLeaks Founder Gets More Bad News
UK judge denies bail to Julian Assange, saying he's a flight risk
- A UK judge on Wednesday denied bail to WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange, who has been jailed in Britain since 2019 as he fights extradition to the US. District Judge Vanessa Baraitser ordered Assange to remain in prison while the courts consider an appeal by US authorities against a decision not...
$28.5M Bail Bid
Dec 28, 2020 6:45 PM CST
Judge Rejects Ghislaine Maxwell's $28.5M Bail Bid
Prosecutors say she is still a flight risk
- A judge rejected a $28.5 million proposed bail package for Jeffrey Epstein’s former girlfriend Monday, saying her incarceration is necessary to ensure she faces trial on charges she recruited teenage girls for the late financier to sexually abuse. US District Judge Alison J. Nathan in Manhattan rejected the...
Here's How Badly
Wants Out of Prison
Dec 15, 2020 10:15 AM CST
Here's How Badly Ghislaine Maxwell Wants Out of Prison
Jeffrey Epstein confidant offers to put up all of her assets for bail
- Ghislaine Maxwell wants out of prison and is apparently willing to put up all of her assets to make that happen. The British socialite accused of grooming underage girls for convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein asked to be released from confinement in a court filing revealed Monday, claiming she's...
Kyle Rittenhouse Posts
$2M Bail, Goes Free
Nov 20, 2020 3:25 PM CST
Kyle Rittenhouse Posts $2M Bail, Goes Free
Teenager faces homicide charges in Kenosha shootings
- A 17-year-old from Illinois who is charged with killing two people during a protest in Wisconsin, and whose case has become a rallying cry for some conservatives, posted $2 million bail Friday and was released from custody. Kyle Rittenhouse is accused of fatally shooting Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber and...
Teen Facing Life
for Killing Abuser
Gets a Break
Jun 24, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Teen Facing Life for Killing Abuser Gets a Break
Community groups raise $400K to get Chrystul Kizer out of jail
- A Wisconsin teen held in jail for two years for the murder of her alleged sex trafficker has been released on bail after $400,000 was raised by groups including the Milwaukee Freedom Fund. The fund worked with the Chrystul Kizer Defense Committee, Chicago Community Bond Fund, and the national...
'Minnesota Freedom Fund'
Reels After Getting $30M
Jun 17, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
'Minnesota Freedom Fund' Reels After Getting $30M
The nonprofit is suddenly flush and under a microscope
- A small nonprofit is feeling the heat after receiving more than $30 million in the wake of George Floyd's death, the
New York Times
reports. The Minnesota Freedom Fund—which had only one full-time worker earlier this month—became a popular cause for activist and celebrity donors. Now the...
Romance Novelist Allegedly
Killed Husband for Money
Apr 29, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Romance Novelist Allegedly Killed Husband for Money
Court documents say Nancy Brophy had taken out life insurance policies on her husband
- Nancy Crampton Brophy was charged with murder in September 2018 in connection with her chef husband's death. Days after her arraignment, it emerged that the 68-year-old romance novelist had published a 700-word essay online in 2011 called "How to Murder Your Husband." In it, she gave five...
Woman Arrested After
Paying Bail With Smelly Cash
Mar 10, 2020 4:04 AM CDT
Woman Arrested After Paying Bail With Smelly Cash
It had a 'strong odor of marijuana,' police say
- A Louisiana woman was arrested on drug charges after police determined the $5,000 cash she used to post an inmate's bail had a "strong odor of marijuana." Authorities began investigating Stormy Lynn Parfait, 33, on Friday, shortly after she showed up at the Ashland jail to...
Dec 6, 2019 1:29 PM CST
Prosecutor: Weinstein Messed With Ankle Monitor
Weinstein's attorney says it was tech 'glitches' that caused him to fall off radar for hours
- Some people don't like the fact that Harvey Weinstein is out from behind bars while he awaits his January trial on rape and sexual assault charges. Now, a New York City prosecutor wants to make the disgraced movie producer's release conditions more onerous, asking a judge to increase...
He Skipped Bail
7 Years Ago.
Hears His Fate
May 1, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
He Skipped Bail 7 Years Ago. Now, Assange Hears His Fate
WikiLeaks founder sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for trying to avoid extradition to Sweden in 2012
- Raising a fist in the air as he arrived, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange entered a London courtroom Wednesday to find out his fate for skipping bail in 2012 to avoid getting extradited to Sweden over rape allegations , reports Al Jazeera . That fate: nearly a year in jail. The 50-week sentence...
R. Kelly Is Out
Mar 9, 2019 12:40 PM CST
R. Kelly Is Out
Someone makes the R&B singer's child support payment
- R&B singer R. Kelly walked out of a Chicago jail on Saturday, shortly after someone paid $161,000 that he owed in back child support, the AP reports. Kelly was ordered taken into custody on Wednesday by a judge after he said that he did not have the entire...
Freed on $7.5M Bail
Dec 12, 2018 12:03 AM CST
Meng Wanzhou Freed on $7.5M Bail
She has agreed to pay for 24/7 surveillance
- Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou walked free from a Vancouver courthouse Tuesday night after a bail hearing that lasted three days. She was released on bail of $10 million Canadian—around $7.5 million American—after BC Supreme Court Justice William Ehrcke decided the bail terms were enough to "offset...
Jailed Banker's Wife Could
Be Forced to Join Him
Nov 8, 2018 10:29 AM CST
Jailed Banker's Wife Could Be Forced to Join Him
Zamira Hajiyeva fighting extradition to Azerbaijan over embezzlement allegations
- A woman from Azerbaijan whose fortune has been targeted by British authorities under anti-corruption laws was freed on bail Thursday while she battles extradition to her homeland over embezzlement allegations. Zamira Hajiyeva is the first person to be subject to an Unexplained Wealth Order, a measure introduced this year in...
California to End Bail,
ACLU Not a Fan of How
Aug 29, 2018 8:50 AM CDT
California to End Bail, ACLU Not a Fan of How
State is replacing it with 'murky' risk-assessment system
- California will become the first state to eliminate bail for suspects awaiting trial and replace it with a still murky risk-assessment system under a bill signed Tuesday by Gov. Jerry Brown, reports the AP . Brown's signature gives the state's judicial council broad authority to reshape pretrial detention policies...
Against Allison Mack
Apr 25, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Documents Detail More Allegations Against Allison Mack
Actress allegedly received 'financial benefits [and] financial opportunities' for her role in cult-like group
- Allison Mack, the
star fighting sex trafficking charges after being accused of helping run a cult-like "self-help" group, received somewhat of a reprieve Tuesday from a federal judge, who agreed to let Mack be released to her parents' custody on a $5 million bond, NBC News and CNN...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.