Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bears Kill Zoo Worker in Front of Tourists
Incident happened in Shanghai
- Tourists visiting an animal park in Shanghai on Saturday saw the unimaginable unfold before their eyes: Bears attacked and killed a staffer, reports the BBC . Few details are known about the incident at the Shanghai Wildlife Park, including the identity of the victim, the type of bears involved, or what...
Costco's China Opening Descends Into Chaos
Store says it will limit numbers in future
- Amid the US-China trade war, one American business had an extremely popular launch in China on Tuesday. Maybe
popular. Costco had to close its first location in the country early on the afternoon of its opening day amid scenes resembling Black Friday chaos, the BBC reports. Video from the...
This Tesla Is About to Explode. The Carmaker Is Investigating
Tesla sends team to Shanghai to look into video showing car allegedly exploding in parking lot
- Teslas catching fire have made recent headlines , but one supposed incident has now been caught on video, and the automaker is investigating. Reuters reports the company has sent a team to China to check out an explosion that allegedly took place in a Shanghai parking garage, an incident seen in...
Woman Has 25M Reasons to Not Let Toddler Use iPhone
'iPhone is disabled, try again in 25,114,984 minutes'
- Well, that's one way to beat a smartphone addiction. The
South China Morning Post
reports a Shanghai mom is locked out of her iPhone for the next 47 years after her 2-year-old son repeatedly entered the wrong passcode. The mom, identified only as Lu, gave her son the phone...
18 Hurt as Van Plows Into Crowd in Downtown Shanghai
Police say driver was smoking, lost control
- A minivan hauling gas canisters plowed into pedestrians near a prominent park and burst into flames in downtown Shanghai on Friday, injuring 18 people in the heart of the Chinese financial hub, local authorities say. Police appeared to dismiss fears that the crash was a deliberate attack, describing it as...
Shanghai Will Allow Only 800K More to Live There
Chinese city will cap its permanent population at 25M
- Anyone interested in moving to Shanghai better not dawdle. The Chinese economic hub currently has a population of 24.2 million, and authorities just put a plan in place to cap the permanent population at 25 million, reports Reuters . The idea behind the newly adopted master plan through 2035 is...
World's Biggest Starbucks Is No Longer in Seattle
30K-square-foot behemoth opens in Shanghai
- Shanghai now boasts the biggest Starbucks in the world—an upmarket "Reserve Roastery" that, at 30,000 square feet, is more than 40 times bigger than the average apartment in the city. The establishment is the first Reserve Roastery outside the US, and it's almost twice as big...
China Introduces 'Husband Storage' Pods in Mall
Tiny rooms with gaming consoles let users play retro games
- For men who are willing to accompany their wives to the mall but not actually inclined to shop with them, a mall in Shanghai has devised a novel answer: "husband storage" pods replete with retro video games from the 1990s, reports the BBC . The Global Harbor mall currently offers...
There's a Secret Club at Shanghai Disneyland
Club 33 is for Magic Kingdom's elite
- Unless you've got close connections to Mickey or Mao, you're going to have a hard time getting into Club 33. A private members-only club by that name exists at the Disneylands in Anaheim and Tokyo, and the
Los Angeles Times
has discovered that the brand-new Disney park in...
What Will Be the World's Most-Visited Theme Park Opens
Disney's Shanghai park is its first in mainland China
- Walt Disney Co. opened its Shanghai theme park Thursday, its first in mainland China, with a Chinese children's choir, Sleeping Beauty and other Disney characters, and speeches by Communist Party leaders. Vice Premier Wang Yang joined Disney CEO Bob Iger in cutting a red ribbon as the park opened,...
Knife-Wielding Chinese Man Proves Crime Doesn't Pay
He probably would have made more money just selling the knife
- They say crime doesn't pay, and damned if one bad-luck robber in China didn't just prove them right. Shanghaiist reports a knife-wielding man spent Monday terrorizing various businesses in downtown Shanghai but only succeeded in stealing pocket change before being arrested. The unidentified man started at a life...
Shanghai Stampede Victims Mostly Young Women
Social media users blame tragedy on migrant population
- City officials are disclosing more information about Shanghai's New Year's Eve stampede as crowds gather in the city's waterfront area to mourn the dead. AP puts the death toll at 36; all but four of the victims identified were under 25 and 21 were women, officials say,...
Cops: Tossed Cash Didn't Set Off Shanghai Stampede
Families demand answers after 36 fatalities
- The death toll from last night's stampede in Shanghai has risen to 36 as families demand answers about why so many people—hundreds of thousands—were allowed to gather in one area with so little crowd control. Among the developments:
Lack of police:
Authorities were worried days in advance
35 Dead in New Year's Stampede in Shanghai
Even more are injured in the crush
- A New Year's tragedy in downtown Shanghai: A stampede of people celebrating the arrival of 2015 has left 35 people dead and more than 40 injured, reports the BBC . It happened about 11:35pm local time in the city's Chenyi Square, according to China's Xinhua news service....
How You Could Someday Get From China to San Fran in 100 Minutes
Supersonic vessel will fly through the water in air bubble, say researchers
- Never heard of the term “supercavitation”? China’s about to school us all with its announcement that it’s making progress on a supersonic submarine that uses this technology, theoretically giving the underwater vessel the capability to zip along at the speed of sound, reports the
China Paper: Smog Good for National Security
Bad air can be bonus on battlefield, paper claims
- As Shanghai and other Chinese cities choke on one of the worst bouts of air pollution ever recorded, a nationalist newspaper has tried to put a positive spin on the problem. The Communist Party-linked
argues that while smog can affect people's health, "on the battlefield, it...
China Dropping Facebook Ban—in Part of One City
Banned sites allowed in Shanghai free-trade zone
- Chinese authorities hope the new Shanghai free-trade zone will cement the city's place as a financial center, in spite of a potential drag on worker productivity—the zone will be the only place in China where banned social media sites including Facebook and Twitter are allowed, sources tell the...
Drug Giant's Secret to Success Is Bribery: Cops
China says it busts scheme by Glaxo, travel agencies to bribe doctors
- China says it knows how a few Shanghai travel agencies were managing huge revenues without many bookings, and the explanation isn't pretty: They were involved in an extensive bribery scheme with executives from drug giant GlaxoSmithKline, authorities say. The firms are accused of teaming up to bribe doctors and...
Fearing Outbreak, Shanghai Slaughters 20K Birds
CDC researcher says agency 'fairly worried' about H7N9
- With China scrambling to keep a lid on a budding H7N9 bird flu outbreak , authorities in Shanghai said they will close all its live poultry markets beginning tomorrow for the indefinite future, reports CNN . Some 20,000 birds have already been slaughtered at a market where traces of the bird...
China Scrambles to Track Mystery Bird Flu
New outbreaks as officials fear H7N9 may have mutated
- Four more people in coastal China are hospitalized with the new H7N9 strain of bird flu, China announced yesterday. H7N9 has already killed two people and left a third in critical condition; the four new patients, aged 32 to 83, are also critically ill, the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One Emerging Factor May Help Trump's Chances
First-Grade Remote Class Turns Absolutely Horrifying
Senator's Treatment of Name 'Kamala' Gives Boost to Rival
Pastor to Trump: 'the Lord' Told Me Who Will Win
Court: Man Who Wouldn't Shake Woman's Hand Can't Be Citizen
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.