Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Skater in Doping Scandal
Has Disastrous Performance
Feb 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Skater in Doping Scandal Has Disastrous Performance
Russia's Kamila Valieva finishes in 4th in a stunner
- It might be the biggest surprise of the Beijing Olympics: Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping controversy , had a disastrous free skate on Thursday and finished out of medal contention in fourth place. "Stunning" is the word used by Christine Brennan of
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays
Skaters' Medals: Reports
Feb 9, 2022 7:45 PM CST
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays Skaters' Medals: Reports
Russian newspapers say Kamila Valieva, 15, tested positive for banned heart drug
This file has been updated with reports of a positive drug test on the Russian team.
The winners in the team figure-skating competition at the Beijing Olympics still haven't received their medals two days later because of what the International Olympic Committee said are "legal issues."...
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,'
Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Feb 9, 2022 6:51 AM CST
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,' Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Lindsey Jacobellis brings home first gold for US at Winter Games in Beijing
- It took 16 years and five Olympic appearances, but Lindsey Jacobellis finally has her gold medal. NBC News reports that the world-champion snowboarder, who first competed in the Games in 2006 in Turin, took top honors Wednesday in the women's snowboard cross, earning the US its first gold at...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
Report: US Officials
to Turn Their Backs
on Winter Olympics
Nov 17, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Report: US Officials to Turn Their Backs on Winter Olympics
Sources say diplomatic boycott of Beijing Games has been formally recommended to Biden
- The Biden administration is likely planning a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Olympics in February in response to human rights abuses in China, according to a report. Several sources tell
columnist Josh Rogin that a formal recommendation has been made to President Biden that the US refrain from...
N. Korea Pays Piper
Over Its Olympic No-Show
Sep 9, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
N. Korea Pays Piper Over Its Olympic No-Show
Pyongyang is suspended from Beijing Olympics for skipping out on Tokyo Games over COVID
- North Korea was formally suspended from the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics by the IOC on Wednesday as punishment for refusing to send a team to the Tokyo Games citing the COVID-19 pandemic. IOC president Thomas Bach said the North Korean national Olympic body will also now forfeit money it was...
Both Beat the World Record,
but Only One Could Win Gold
Aug 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Both Beat the World Record, but Only One Could Win Gold
Sydney McLaughlin of the US wins Olympics' 400-meter hurdles event
- Sydney McLaughlin broke the world record. Dalilah Muhammad broke it, too. Only one of the world's best hurdlers could win the Olympic gold medal—and McLaughlin came out ahead in the latest installment of the best rivalry in track, the AP reports. The 21-year-old out of East Orange, NJ,...
US Medalist Raven Saunders
Does Protest Gesture at Podium
Aug 2, 2021 1:44 AM CDT
US Medalist Raven Saunders Does Protest Gesture at Podium
The 'X' arms likely violated Olympic rules, according to reports
- After Raven Saunders won a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, the US shot-putter raised her arms in an 'X' above her head at the podium following the medal ceremony. The 25-year-old told the AP the X symbolizes "the intersection of where all people who are...
This Is Now the
to Ever Medal
Jul 29, 2021 9:02 AM CDT
This Is Now the Tiniest Country to Ever Medal
Alessandra Perilli earns bronze in trap shooting for San Marino
- Twenty-fifth time’s the charm for San Marino, the European enclave surrounded by north-central Italy, home to fewer than 35,000 people, which was awarded its first-ever Olympic medal on Thursday. Alessandra Perilli shot 29 targets in the women's trap shooting final, coming in third after Kayle Browning of...
Ledecky Finally Tastes Gold
Jul 28, 2021 12:23 AM CDT
Ledecky Finally Tastes Gold
Hours after failing to medal, US swimmer claims first-ever gold in women's 1500
- When Katie Ledecky finally saw that familiar number next to her name, the emotions flooded to the surface at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre. She tumbled over the lane rope to give her runner-up teammate a hug. She let out an uncharacteristic scream toward the American cheering section in the mostly...
Alaska Has an
in an Unexpected Sport
Jul 27, 2021 12:41 AM CDT
Alaska Has an Olympic Champion in an Unexpected Sport
Lydia Jacoby pulls off stunning swimming upset
- Alaska is renowned for its majestic natural beauty. The snowy peaks. The glistening glaciers. The sparkling fjords. An Arctic paradise, for sure. Swimming? That’s never been much of a thing in the 49th US state. Until now. Seventeen-year-old Lydia Jacoby pulled off a stunning victory in the women’s...
Ends Floor Routine
With BLM Tribute
Jul 26, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Olympic Gymnast Ends Floor Routine With BLM Tribute
Luciana Alvarado of Costa Rica raised fist in the air, knelt
- The first-ever Costa Rican gymnast to qualify for the Olympics used the end of her floor routine Sunday to make a big statement. Luciana Alvarado, 18, took a knee with one arm behind her back and the other raised in the air with a fist, NBC Olympics reports. (Watch the...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
False Start in
After Boat Gets in Way
Jul 26, 2021 1:29 AM CDT
False Start in Olympic Triathlon After Boat Gets in Way
Some competitors were stuck on dock as boat with cameras tried to reverse
- Let's try that again, triathlon. The Olympic men's triathlon needed a do-over Monday when a bizarre start sent dozens of competitors into the water only to have others stuck on the dock, helplessly blocked by a boat containing cameras that got in the way, the AP reports. The...
Here's Who Won First-Ever
Olympic Skateboarding Medals
Jul 26, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Here's Who Won First-Ever Olympic Skateboarding Medals
Japan sweeps golds, takes first in both men's and women's contests
- Thirteen-year-old Momiji Nishiya of Japan won the first Olympic skateboard competition for women on Monday, giving the host nation a sweep of golds in the street event after Yuto Horigome won the men’s competition, also the Olympics' first ever, the AP reports. Rayssa Leal, a Brazilian who is also...
US Fencer Keep Him
Out of Olympic Village
Jul 23, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Allegations Against US Fencer Keep Him Out of Olympic Village
Alen Hadzic appealed the decision, lost
- An alternate on the US fencing team is in Tokyo with the rest of the team, but he had to fly separately and is not allowed to train or live in the Olympic Village due to accusations of sexual misconduct that three women have made against him. Alen Hadzic, 29,...
Olympics Opening Ceremony
Director Fired for 1998 Joke
Jul 22, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Olympics Opening Ceremony Director Fired for 1998 Joke
Kentaro Kobayashi made a Holocaust joke during a comedy show
- The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee fired the director of the opening ceremony on Thursday because of a Holocaust joke he made during a comedy show in 1998, the AP reports. Organizing committee president Seiko Hashimoto said a day ahead of the opening ceremony that director Kentaro Kobayashi has been dismissed....
2032 Olympics Host Announced
Jul 21, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
2032 Olympics Host Announced
Brisbane, Australia, promises 'climate-positive' Games
- Athletes should be happy to know the 2032 Summer Olympics will take place in winter. Brisbane, Australia—the last remaining bid city—will host the Olympics from July to August in 2032, followed by the Paralympics from August to September, the International Olympic Committee confirmed with a vote in Tokyo...
Athletes Will Really
Feel the Heat in Tokyo
Jul 20, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Athletes Will Really Feel the Heat in Tokyo
This could be the hottest Olympics on record, bringing risk of heatstroke
- Tokyo claimed "mild" summer weather made it an ideal candidate to host the Olympic Games in 2020. Consider that an oversell, as athletes could now be in for the hottest Olympics on record. The daily maximum temperature recorded at a Summer Olympics was in Sydney, Australia, in 2000 and...
Olympic Ban on
Caps for Black
in case you missed it
Jul 4, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Olympic Ban on Caps for Black Swimmers Leads to Backlash
Governing body for water sports has prohibited Soul Cap for hair that's 'volume blessed'
- Alice Dearing will be the first female Black swimmer to represent Great Britain at the Olympics in Tokyo, and she'd likely planned to wear her swim cap from Soul Cap, a brand she partnered with last year , during competition. Per the BBC , the Soul Cap brand is a larger...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.