Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Subway Worker Killed
Over Mayo Complaint
Jun 27, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Woman in Atlanta was fatally shot and a co-worker wounded
- A fatal shooting at a Subway restaurant in Atlanta comes with a hard-to-fathom quote from the shop's co-owner: "It breaks my heart to know that someone has the audacity to point a weapon and shoot someone for as little as too much mayonnaise on a sandwich," Willie...
Nuclear Physicist Who
Co-Founded Subway Has Died
Nov 25, 2021 4:11 AM CST
Nuclear Physicist Who Co-Founded Subway Has Died
Billionaire Peter Buck has died at age 90
- Peter Buck, whose $1,000 investment in a family friend's Connecticut sandwich shop in 1965 provided the genesis for what is now the world's largest restaurant chain—Subway—has died. He was 90. Buck, a nuclear physicist who was born in Portland, Maine, in 1930, died at a...
Subway Tuna Lawsuit
Has Taken a New Turn
Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM CST
Subway Tuna Lawsuit Has Taken a New Turn
3rd version of complaint claims sandwich chain's tuna contains cattle, pork, chicken DNA
The first version of a lawsuit against Subway claimed its tuna wasn't really tuna. The second, which was dismissed, said the tuna wasn't the right kind of tuna. Now, in a new amendment to that proposed class-action complaint, the plaintiffs say testing has found animal proteins in...
What's Going On With
Subway's Tuna Sandwiches?
Jun 23, 2021 6:36 PM CDT
What's Going On With Subway's Tuna Sandwiches?
One lab said it couldn't find tuna DNA
- We already know that Subway’s bread isn’t bread—it’s cake. Now DNA testing can’t confirm the tuna is tuna. What’s going on? Is it time to freak out? Well, actually, probably not. It’s true that two people in California started a class-action lawsuit accusing...
Subway's Tuna Isn't Tuna,
Jan 28, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Subway's Tuna Isn't Tuna, Alleges Lawsuit
2 California residents file claim against the chain, which denies the allegation
- At least one court doesn't think Subway's bread is actually bread . Now, a new lawsuit alleges that Subway's tuna isn't actually tuna. As Law and Crime reports, two California residents are bringing a class-action suit that asserts the chain's tuna sandwiches "are made from...
Election Day Have You Stressed,
Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Nov 3, 2020 10:38 AM CST
Election Day Have You Stressed, Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Doughnuts, chicken, and massages are gratis
- Once you've voted, head to the gym for a free workout and massage, then reward yourself with a free doughnut. Still waiting around for election results early Wednesday? You can snag a free coffee, too. It's all possible with perks offered by various businesses this Election Day, which...
Court: Subway Bread
Doesn't Qualify as Bread
Oct 1, 2020 7:46 AM CDT
Court: Subway Bread Doesn't Qualify as Bread
Sugar content is way too high, Irish court says
- Subway bread doesn't qualify for a value-added tax exemption because it doesn't meet the legal definition of "bread," or indeed "food" under the relevant law, Ireland's Supreme Court has decided. The court ruled that all six varieties of bread used in the company's...
Judge Orders Subway to Pay
Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
Mar 1, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Judge Orders Subway to Pay Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
But it's unclear whether the chain did anything wrong
- A CBC report on Subway's chicken sandwiches is going to cost the chain fairly big bucks—regardless of the report's accuracy, the CBC reports. A judge has ordered Subway to reimburse the CBC $500,000 in legal costs after the chain tried to sue over the eye-grabbing 2017...
One Step Back, Two Steps
Forward for Beyond Meat
Jan 29, 2020 9:03 AM CST
One Step Back, Two Steps Forward for Beyond Meat
Tim Hortons ends partnership, while KFC and Denny's expand theirs
- Canada's largest coffee chain is giving up Beyond Meat products after just seven months. Tim Hortons served up an imitation sausage breakfast sandwich, and later added the Beyond Burger to the menu at many of its nearly 4,000 locations last year. But most had dropped the faux meat...
Cops: She Got Hired by Subway,
Wanted to Party. Her BF Didn't
Dec 23, 2019 8:17 AM CST
Cops: She Got Hired by Subway, Wanted to Party. Her BF Didn't
Kathy Jones accused of trying to set beau on fire because he wouldn't celebrate with her
- Getting a new job is certainly worthy of celebration, but one Arizona woman's alleged response to a lukewarm reaction from her live-in boyfriend appears to have crossed the line. Court documents cited by KHOU and KPHO note that 46-year-old Kathy Jones was charged with aggravated assault and criminal damage...
Subway to Franchisees: Sell $5
Footlong Only If You Want To
Sep 10, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Subway to Franchisees: Sell $5 Footlong Only If You Want To
Complaints over slim margins on cheap sandwich has led to pullback on program
- Customers love Subway's $5 Footlong deal; franchisees, not so much. That's why the chain's CEO has decided to let individual owners decide whether they want to offer the sandwich at that price to their customers, per
. Trevor Haynes tells the paper that, after hearing complaints...
A Subway Near You
May Be Closing Soon
Apr 26, 2018 11:43 AM CDT
A Subway Near You May Be Closing Soon
Fast-food chain says it's closing 500 US stores, but opening 1K internationally
- Sandwich lovers may soon have to drive a few more miles more for their footlongs. Bloomberg reports that Subway Restaurants will be shuttering 500 or so of its US stores, leaving about 25,400 open. (No specifics yet on which locations are closing.) This latest round of closures follows...
Cop Said Subway Drugged
His Lemonade. Now a Lawsuit
Aug 15, 2017 6:29 PM CDT
Cop Said Subway Drugged His Lemonade. Now a Lawsuit
Owners say false claims from police have ruined their business
- The owners of a Subway in Utah are suing for more than $250,000 after police claimed—falsely, it turns out—that a restaurant employee had drugged an officer's lemonade , the
reports. The arrest of an 18-year-old in Layton made international headlines last August after police accused...
Subway Is Traveling in
Wrong Direction in US
Apr 21, 2017 2:20 PM CDT
Subway Is Traveling in Wrong Direction in US
The restaurant closed 359 locations in 2016
- Last year, for the first time ever, Subway closed more US restaurants than it opened, shuttering 359 locations in 2016, Bloomberg reports. While that still left Subway with 26,744 locations in the US—more than any other restaurant in the country—it also came along with a 1.7%...
Woman Tracks Down
Stranger Who Saved Son
in case you missed it
Apr 15, 2017 11:40 AM CDT
Woman Tracks Down Stranger Who Saved Son
He stopped boy from choking in Chicago Subway
- It took days of trying, but Chicago mom Mary Graham was able to track down the stranger who saved her son's life in a Subway and took off before she could thank him. Indiana man Patrick Kissane was a customer in the restaurant Tuesday night when Graham's 2-year-old...
Subway Sues Broadcaster
for $210M Over Chicken Story
Mar 17, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
Subway Sues Broadcaster for $210M Over Chicken Story
CBC stands by accusation that chain's product is half soy
- Subway and the CBC are continuing their game of chicken, and neither side looks to be swerving. The latest in the fast-food drama: The restaurant chain says it will file a lawsuit against the broadcaster for a story that claims Subway's chicken isn't 100% chicken , but halfway made...
Subway: We Tested Our
Chicken, and No, It's Not Soy
Mar 3, 2017 7:25 AM CST
Subway: We Tested Our Chicken, and No, It's Not Soy
Chain refutes 'false' CBC report, says its own tests show only 'trace' amount of soy
- Subway says lab tests it commissioned show its chicken contains only trace amounts of soy. This after a CBC show reported that tests showed only about half the DNA from Subway chicken samples was from chicken. The rest was mostly from soy. After calling the report "false and misleading,...
Test: Subway's Chicken
Has Only 50% Chicken DNA
Feb 28, 2017 7:24 PM CST
Test: Subway's Chicken Has Only 50% Chicken DNA
According to a Canadian study
- Here's an unappetizing number: Only about half the DNA in the chicken used in Subway sandwiches actually comes from a chicken, at least according to one analysis. A DNA researcher says that number, obviously, should be 100%. The CBC did a DNA analysis of chicken from various fast-food chains...
Teen Dies Protecting Mom
in Subway Shop Holdup
Feb 24, 2017 2:00 AM CST
Teen Dies Protecting Mom in Subway Shop Holdup
Cops say teen pushed her out of the way as man fired
- Houston police say an 18-year-old sandwich shop employee was fatally shot as he tried to protect his mother during an attempted robbery at the store. Police say Javier Flores and his mother were the only people working in the southeast Houston Subway restaurant near closing time Wednesday night when two...
Texan Executed for Subway
Sandwich Shop Murders
Jan 27, 2017 12:41 AM CST
Texan Executed for Subway Sandwich Shop Murders
Terry Edwards killed 2 former colleagues
- A man convicted of a fatal robbery at a Dallas-area Subway shop just weeks after he was fired from his job there was executed Thursday night. Terry Edwards, 43, received a lethal injection for the $3,000 holdup at a Subway restaurant where two employees were shot to death in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.