Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Video of Chained Woman
Sparks Outrage in China
Feb 1, 2022 1:32 PM CST
Video of Chained Woman Sparks Outrage in China
Officials in China's Jiangsu province say they're investigating her husband
- Chinese citizens are demanding action in response to a video spreading online that shows a woman chained by her neck to the wall of an open shack. She had no coat, despite it being winter, and a bowl of food on the table next to her looked to have frozen...
They Turned to
Sperm Donor 1558.
Was It a Mistake?
Jan 4, 2022 2:14 PM CST
They Turned to Sperm Donor 1558. Was It a Mistake?
Their resulting child suffered from mental illness they suspect was hereditary
- "You can know everything about somebody and that doesn’t tell you what their children are going to be like," the chief advocacy and policy officer for the American Society for Reproductive Medicine tells the
Wall Street Journal
. Laura and David Gunner still wish they had known closer...
It Happened 'in
Just 8 Minutes.'
Now, a Cop Charged
Nov 3, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
It Happened 'in Just 8 Minutes.' Now, a Cop Charged
DA: Kenneth Cha shot unarmed man in 2017; the man died last January
- For just the second time, an on-duty law enforcement officer in San Francisco is being prosecuted for a homicide, according to the district attorney's office. Officer Kenneth Cha faces charges of voluntary manslaughter and assault with a semiautomatic firearm, among others, after allegedly shooting an unarmed Sean Moore—who...
Study Suggests Link Between
Jul 25, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Study Suggests Link Between Schizophrenia, Cannabis
Danish researchers say cases have gone up as pot becomes more prevalent and potent
- A new study out of Denmark shows a link between increased cases of schizophrenia and cannabis use disorder. The study, published in JAMA Psychiatry , notes that both the use and potency of cannabis have gone up in the last 20 years. Cannabis use disorder is not the mere use of...
MLB Prospect Will Spend
Rest of His Life in Prison
Nov 20, 2020 11:34 AM CST
MLB Prospect Will Spend Rest of His Life in Prison
Brandon Martin was earlier found guilty of 2015 triple murder
- Former Tampa Bay Rays prospect Brandon Martin has avoided the death penalty but will spend life in prison for the 2015 murders of his father, uncle, and an alarm installer. Martin's family was having a house alarm installed in their Corona, Calif., on Sept. 17, 2015, when Martin, the...
Man Who Killed Dad After
Allowance Cut Is Sentenced
Sep 28, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Man Who Killed Dad After Allowance Cut Is Sentenced
Thomas Gilbert Jr gets life in prison
- The trial that shocked New York's high society is over—and Thomas Gilbert Jr, accused of murdering his father over an allowance cut, got life in prison. Judge Melissa Jackson acknowledged the defendant's "mental issues" Friday but saw no excuse for shooting his 70-year-old father in the...
'Jimmy Was Found
Dead Today in Iraq'
Aug 8, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
'Jimmy Was Found Dead Today in Iraq'
Attorney says Jimmy Aldaoud, deported in June, was a diabetic with mental health issues
- "Jimmy was found dead today in Iraq." That was the Facebook announcement Wednesday from immigration attorney Edward Bajoka, who revealed the fate of friend Jimmy Aldaoud, a Detroit man deported in June amid the Trump administration's immigration roundups. Aldaoud—who Bajoka says was a diabetic suffering from...
Cops Explain Why They
Mocked Man Who Died
Aug 3, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Cops Explain Why They Mocked Man Who Died
Dallas officers say they were trying to 'perk up' Tony Timpa
- Dallas police officers who handcuffed and pinned down a struggling schizophrenic until he died say their mocking banter was really a strategy, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. The explanation emerged in audio of a police hearing into the 2016 death of Tony Timpa. "When we're kind of going...
Lawsuit: Why Was
Man Shot 59 Times?
Dec 29, 2018 12:48 PM CST
Lawsuit: Why Was Man Shot 59 Times?
'My son deserves the truth,' says Monteria Robinson
- A Georgia prosecutor is suing the US Department of Justice over its refusal to provide information about how officers shot 59 bullets into a schizophrenic college student, the AP reports. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said Friday that federal authorities have blocked his prosecutors from interviewing the officers who...
at a Dunkin' Got
Oct 2, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Homeless Man Charging Phone at a Dunkin' Got Rude Surprise
Workers terminated after dumping water on him in 'cruel' incident caught on video
- "Cruel" is how people are describing an incident that took place at an upstate New York Dunkin' Donuts, and the company seems to agree. The
reports that on Sunday evening, Jeremy Dufresne (aka Jeremy Young ), a homeless man whose family says he has epilepsy and schizophrenia...
Cops: Man Throws His
Brother, 4, Off a Roof
Sep 30, 2018 12:24 PM CDT
Cops: Man Throws His Brother, 4, Off a Roof
Shawn Smith of Brooklyn, NY, is charged with second-degree murder
- "I need to talk to you," Shawn Smith told cops a few blocks from his Brooklyn residence Saturday. "My brother may be hurt. He might be dead." Police officers soon found the body of Smith's little brother Shimron in a rear courtyard, where the 4-year-old...
US Prisons Have a Secret
Dating Back to the 1800s
Jun 10, 2018 12:47 PM CDT
US Prisons Have a Secret Dating Back to the 1800s
Prison journalist John J. Lennon writes about it in 'Esquire'
- Joe Cardo was known as a "bugout"—prisonspeak for a person battling mental illness. Sentenced to two years at Attica Correctional Facility in upstate New York for attempted robbery, he was clearly unwell in 2015, searching the yard for half-smoked cigarettes and claiming to shoot orbs of light....
Family Is 'Flabbergasted' at FBI
Aug 18, 2017 10:36 AM CDT
Attempted-Bombing Suspect's Family Is 'Flabbergasted' at FBI
Jerry Drake Varnell's parents says he has schizophrenia—and FBI took advantage
- The family of the Oklahoma man accused of plotting to blow up a bank says they're "heartbroken" but stand by Jerry Drake Varnell—who got caught up in a situation spurred by his mental illness and only made possible with aid from the FBI. NewsOK posts a statement...
GF of Man Who
Killed Bronx Cop
Details Scary Days
Jul 18, 2017 11:20 AM CDT
GF of Man Who Killed Bronx Cop Details Scary Days Before Murder
Despite her 911 calls, she says cops didn't arrive in time to help BF with mental illness
- Before Alexander Bonds shot a police officer in the Bronx on the night of July 4, he claimed lights from passing cars were a code only he could understand, his girlfriend tells the
New York Times
. The unnamed woman, who'd spent the previous four days with Bonds, says her...
Young Inventor Now Facing
Mar 24, 2017 2:44 PM CDT
Young Inventor Now Facing Schizophrenia Diagnosis
Joey Hudy's family faces mounting debt to help son
- A science phenom known for impressing President Obama with his marshmallow air cannon at the 2012 White House Science Fair faces crushing debt after being diagnosed with a mental illness. Joey Hudy, now 20, is undergoing treatment for schizophrenia at a live-in facility in Tennessee that costs his family $25,...
She Begged Shop Not to Sell
Her Girl a Gun. It Did Anyway
Mar 18, 2017 1:56 PM CDT
She Begged Shop Not to Sell Her Girl a Gun. It Did Anyway
Colby Sue Weathers bought a pistol with a disability check, then killed her father
- In 2012, when a doctor told Janet Delana's schizophrenic adult daughter to stop an aggressive drug regimen that wasn't working and come back for a checkup in four days, the mother picked up the phone. Colby Sue Weathers had been hearing voices for five years and bought a...
Man Who Beheaded Bus
Feb 11, 2017 7:53 AM CST
Man Who Beheaded Bus Passenger Freed
Matt Baker gets total discharge for 2008 attack
- A man who stabbed, beheaded, and partially cannibalized a fellow Greyhound bus passenger in a terrifying random attack in 2008 has been granted an absolute discharge by authorities in Canada, meaning he will no longer be subject to any court-ordered monitoring. That includes monitoring to check whether he is taking...
NYPD Fatally Shoots
Woman With Bat
Oct 19, 2016 10:03 AM CDT
NYPD Fatally Shoots Schizophrenic Woman With Bat
Police say Black Lives Matter supporter was screaming at neighbors, lunged at officer
- A supporter of Black Lives Matter with schizophrenia was shot dead by police in the Bronx on Tuesday after authorities say she swung a baseball bat at an officer. In the NYPD's telling, officers were responding to a complaint about a woman acting irrationally when they entered 66-year-old Deborah...
'Genius' Sperm Donor, Who's
Schizophrenic, Turns Self In
Sep 2, 2016 7:20 AM CDT
'Genius' Sperm Donor, Who's Schizophrenic, Turns Self In
Christian Aggeles, who looked good on paper, has fathered more than 36 children worldwide
- How often are sperm donors vetted, and how often do they get away with enhancing their positive traits? It's a question at the heart of ongoing lawsuits involving James Christian (Chris) Aggeles, who donated his sperm to Georgia-based Xytex Corp. years ago and fathered 36 children between 2000 and...
Can Take Plasma
Center to Court for
Jul 15, 2016 6:35 PM CDT
Schizophrenic Donor Can Take Plasma Center to Court for Discrimination
Octapharma in Salt Lake City refused to let Brent Levorsen donate
- A man with schizophrenia will be able to take a plasma-donation company to court for discrimination following a ruling this week, Courthouse News Service reports. Octapharma Plasma in Salt Lake City told Brent Levorsen he couldn't donate out of fear he would have a schizophrenic episode during the process....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.