Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Clarence Thomas' Long
Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
Nov 30, 2021 1:14 PM CST
Clarence Thomas' Long Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
Supreme Court hears arguments in highly awaited abortion case out of Mississippi
- It's seen as the best chance in 50 years to overturn
Roe v. Wade
. On Wednesday, the most conservative Supreme Court in decades will take up the case of
Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health
, which centers on a Mississippi law that prohibits abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy....
Offers a Warning
Sep 17, 2021 3:29 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas Offers a Warning During Speech
We must be careful not to 'destroy our institutions,' SCOTUS justice says
- Expand the Supreme Court? Sounds like SCOTUS Justice Clarence Thomas probably doesn't think that's a good idea. In a lecture Thursday at the University of Notre Dame, the high court judge twice warned against "destroying our institutions because they don't give us what we want, when...
We May Not Need
Federal Marijuana Laws
Jun 29, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas: We May Not Need Federal Marijuana Laws
Because of the government's 'piecemeal approach'
- One of the Supreme Court's most conservative justices thinks we may be able to do away with federal weed laws. Clarence Thomas released a statement Monday in connection with the high court declining to hear an appeal from a Colorado pot dispensary looking to block the IRS from getting...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Court Decides Policy Change
Didn't Make $1 Lawsuit Moot
Mar 8, 2021 4:37 PM CST
Court Decides Policy Change Didn't Make $1 Lawsuit Moot
Student stopped from handing out religious material on campus has graduated
- The Supreme Court is reviving a lawsuit brought by a Georgia college student who sued school officials after being prevented from distributing Christian literature on campus. The high court sided 8-1 with the student, Chike Uzuegbunam, and against Georgia Gwinnett College. Uzuegbunam has since graduated, and the public school in...
One Word Used
10 Times in
Feb 23, 2021 8:49 AM CST
One Word Used 10 Times in Thomas Dissent Raises Eyebrows
Supreme Court justice regurgitated baseless voter-fraud claims in election case out of Pennsylvania
- While it may not have been a complete surprise that Clarence Thomas dissented from his more liberal colleagues in a Supreme Court election case on Monday, what is causing some head whips is his apparently firm support for former President Trump's debunked claims of election fraud. The case the...
Ginni Thomas Apologizes
to Husband's SCOTUS Clerks
Feb 2, 2021 7:03 PM CST
Ginni Thomas Apologizes to Husband's SCOTUS Clerks
She raised tensions with post in support of 'Stop the Steal' rally
- Conservative activist Virginia "Ginni" Thomas has apologized for inflaming tensions on the normally sedate email group for former law clerks of her husband, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, with pro-Trump posts. The
says a member of the private Thomas Clerk World listserv shared some posts from the...
Rob Lowe Is Pals
With a Supreme
Jun 17, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Rob Lowe Is Pals With a Supreme Court Justice
- They say Hollywood is all about connections. And then there's Rob Lowe—who's got a friend in an even higher place, the
reports. "It could be Brat Pack people, it could be
Parks and Rec
people," Lowe said recently about guests...
Supreme Court Weighs In on
Unprecedented Murder Case
Jun 21, 2019 11:25 AM CDT
Supreme Court Weighs In on Unprecedented Murder Case
Justices toss latest conviction of Curtis Flowers, who's already had 6 murder trials for same crime
- A white district attorney in Mississippi has tried black defendant Curtis Flowers no fewer than six times for the murder of four people in a furniture store in 1996. That amounts to a "prosecutorial pursuit that may be without parallel," per the
. Now, thanks to a...
Anita Hill's Biden Answer
May Be Good News for Him
Jun 14, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Anita Hill's Biden Answer May Be Good News for Him
'Of course I could' vote for him, she says
- If there was one person you'd bet won't be sporting a "Vote for Biden" T-shirt during election season, it might be Anita Hill. After all, Hill didn't seem completely won over earlier this year when the former VP called her to express regret (but not to...
SCOTUS Defers on Abortion,
but 2 Justices are 'at War'
May 29, 2019 8:44 AM CDT
SCOTUS Defers on Abortion, but 2 Justices are 'at War'
Clarence Thomas, Ruth Bader Ginsburg have drawn their 'battle lines'
- The Supreme Court may have put off for now some of the core questions tied to Roe vs. Wade, but the Cut and CNN note justices Clarence Thomas and Ruth Bader Ginsburg are now "officially at war" and "drawing their battle lines." All of the justices agreed...
Joe Biden Called Anita Hill
Before Joining 2020 Race
Apr 25, 2019 5:48 PM CDT
Joe Biden Called Anita Hill Before Joining 2020 Race
But accuser of Clarence Thomas says Biden never apologized
- Anita Hill says Joe Biden called her this month to express regret over "what she endured" during Senate hearings in 1991—an outreach Hill found inadequate. "I cannot be satisfied by simply saying, 'I'm sorry for what happened to you,'" she told the
Biden Not Exactly Praised for
His Latest Anita Hill Comments
Mar 27, 2019 11:37 AM CDT
Biden Not Exactly Praised for His Latest Anita Hill Comments
Pundits say the topic could be a real 2020 problem for him
- Joe Biden was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee during the 1991 Senate hearing in which Anita Hill alleged sexual harassment at the hands of then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas. On Tuesday, Biden expressed regrets—and not for the first time—for his handling of the hearing. In what the...
Clarence Thomas Makes
an Extremely Rare Move
Mar 21, 2019 3:46 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas Makes an Extremely Rare Move
He asks 2nd question in 13 years
- Something highly unusual happened at the Supreme Court on Wednesday: Justice Clarence Thomas asked a question. The
reports that spectators were shocked when the notoriously silent justice asked a question—and a follow-up— during an argument on racial discrimination in jury selection. The court was hearing the case of...
Justice Thomas Joins Trump
in Criticizing Libel Standards
Feb 19, 2019 12:46 PM CST
Justice Thomas Joins Trump in Criticizing Libel Standards
He calls for reconsidering landmark case involving public figures
- President Trump's calls to change libel laws that make it difficult to sue journalists—or comedians—may have found a sympathetic ear on the Supreme Court. Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday urged a new look at the landmark case, the
New York Times
v. Sullivan, that requires public figures...
Jab at Booker
Sep 13, 2018 12:32 PM CDT
Clarence Thomas Takes 'Spartacus' Jab at Booker
Supreme Court justice argues that theatrics hurt the political process
- Cory Booker's "Spartacus" moment is getting mocked at the highest levels: Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas mentioned it during a conversation last week with the Federalist Society that aired Wednesday on C-SPAN , reports Fox News . After being asked a question about "preserving the legitimacy" of the high...
Feb 20, 2018 9:50 AM CST
Magazine Raises Idea of Impeaching Thomas
Jill Abramson makes the case in 'New York' because of his 'lies' under oath
New York Times
executive editor Jill Abramson authors a controversial new cover story for
magazine, and the headline pretty much explains all: "The Case for Impeaching Clarence Thomas." The lengthy piece revisits the Supreme Court justice's infamous confirmation hearings, along with the allegations of...
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate
Over Juror's Use of N-Word
Jan 8, 2018 1:11 PM CST
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate Over Juror's Use of N-Word
Supreme Court sends Keith Sharpe's case back to lower courts over juror's racist comments
- The Supreme Court gave a death-row inmate a potentially life-saving reprieve on Monday because of racist comments made by one of his jurors. Keith Tharpe has been sentenced to death in Georgia for the rape and murder of his sister-in-law, but the court ordered a new look at his request...
Biden Offers Apology to One
Woman, Comfort to Another
Dec 14, 2017 6:49 AM CST
Biden Offers Apology to One Woman, Comfort to Another
Former VP says he's sorry he didn't shield Anita Hill more from attacks, consoles Meghan McCain
- When law professor Anita Hill faced the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1991 to testify about the sexual harassment she said she endured from then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, she also faced down attacks on her character and credibility—and many (including Hill herself ) still blame Joe Biden, the senator...
Me at Party
Oct 28, 2016 12:33 AM CDT
Lawyer: Clarence Thomas Groped Me at Party
Moira Smith says she felt 'powerless' after 1999 incident
- Another accuser says she decided to come forward because of Donald Trump's remarks about woman—but she's accusing Clarence Thomas, not Trump, of groping her. Alaska lawyer Moira Smith says she was a 23-year-old Truman Foundation scholar in Washington when the Supreme Court justice touched her inappropriately at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.