Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nobel Peace Prize
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nobel Team Rescinds
Invite to 3 Nations
Sep 2, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Nobel Team Rescinds Invite to 3 Nations
Invites to Russia, Belarus, Iran withdrawn after Swedish lawmakers said they'd boycott awards
- The Nobel Foundation on Saturday retracted its invitation for representatives of Russia, Belarus, and Iran to attend this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies after the controversial decision "provoked strong reactions." Several Swedish lawmakers said Friday they would boycott this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies in the...
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Gets
'Simply Appalling' Sentence
Mar 3, 2023 5:26 AM CST
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Gets 'Simply Appalling' Sentence
Belarus activist Ales Bialiatski sentenced to 10 years in prison
- Ales Bialiatski was in prison when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last year and he was sentenced to another 10 years on Friday. The 60-year-old, one of three activists in Eastern Europe who shared the prize in 2022, was convicted of financing "activities that grossly violate public...
Number of Nobel Peace Prize
Nominees Is Lowest in 4 Years
Feb 22, 2023 11:20 AM CST
Number of Nobel Peace Prize Nominees Is Lowest in 4 Years
305 nominees, and we don't know much about them
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee said Wednesday that 305 candidates were nominated for the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize by the Feb. 1 deadline, the lowest number in four years. The names of the 212 individuals and 93 organizations weren't released, reports the AP , in accordance with committee practice. The Oslo-based...
They Came to Pick Up
Their Nobels, Slam Putin's War
Dec 10, 2022 9:00 AM CST
They Came to Pick Up Their Nobels, Slam Putin's War
Peace prize winners from Ukraine, Belarus, Russia blasted Russian leader's invasion of Ukraine
- The winners of this year's Nobel Peace Prize from Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine shared their visions of a fairer world and denounced Russian President Vladimir Putin's war in Ukraine during Saturday's award ceremony. Oleksandra Matviichuk of Ukraine's Center for Civil Liberties dismissed calls for a political...
Belarus Claims Alfred Nobel
Is 'Turning in His Grave'
Oct 8, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Belarus Claims Alfred Nobel Is 'Turning in His Grave'
European leaders, meanwhile, praise recognition for rights activists in Belarus, Ukraine, Russia
- Officials in Europe praised the awarding of this year's Nobel Peace Prize to activists standing up for human rights and democracy in Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine, while authorities in Belarus scorned the move. "I hope the Russian authorities read the justification for the peace prize and take it...
Activists in Belarus, Russia,
Ukraine Win Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 7, 2022 4:24 AM CDT
Activists in Belarus, Russia, Ukraine Win Nobel Peace Prize
Belarus winner Ales Bialiatski is in prison
- This year’s Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to jailed Belarus rights activist Ales Bialiatski, the Russian group Memorial, and the Ukrainian organization Center for Civil Liberties. The winners were announced Friday in Oslo by Berit Reiss-Andersen, chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, the AP reports. Memorial, one of...
There Might Be No
Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 6, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
There Might Be No Nobel Peace Prize This Year
'The conflicts seem never-ending, and treaties seem to be there to be violated'
- "Peaceful" is not a word historians are going to use to describe 2022—and while there's a lot of speculation about who will win this year's Nobel Peace Prize, at least one analyst thinks the committee might choose not to award the prize this year for the...
for Ukraine, Gets
Jun 21, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Sells Medal for Ukraine, Gets Huge Price
Journalist Dmitry Muratov's gold prize went for a staggering $103.5M; proceeds will go to UNICEF
- Ukrainian children and their families who've been uprooted from their homes due to the Russian-led invasion are about to get a boost from a benevolent benefactor. Dmitry Muratov, editor-in-chief of Russia's independent
newspaper, announced earlier this year that he was selling the gold Nobel Peace Prize...
Selling Medal for
Mar 22, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Selling Medal for Noble Reasons
Russia's Dmitry Muratov, who won peace prize last year, wants funds raised to assist Ukraine refugees
- People from all over the world are donating where they can to help the millions of refugees streaming out of Ukraine as Russia continues its invasion there—but very few have Nobel Peace Prize gold they can hawk to free up some funds. Russia's Dmitry Muratov is one of...
2 Journalists Win
Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 8, 2021 4:18 AM CDT
2 Journalists Win Nobel Peace Prize
Prize goes to Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov
- This year's Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded jointly to two journalists from the Philippines and Russia. The 2021 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov "for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace,...
Jared Kushner Gets
Nominated for Huge Prize
Feb 1, 2021 6:23 AM CST
Jared Kushner Gets Nominated for Huge Prize
Alan Dershowitz nominates former president's son-in-law for Mideast 'Abraham Accords'
- The Trump family will have a rooting interest in the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize. Jared Kushner has been nominated for the honor for his work in normalizing relations between Israel and four Arab nations, reports Reuters . The nomination of former President Trump's son-in-law came from attorney Alan Dershowitz, who...
Nobel Peace Prize for Black
Lives Matter? Nomination Is In
Jan 30, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Nobel Peace Prize for Black Lives Matter? Nomination Is In
Norwegian MP praises movement for inspiring fight for racial justice worldwide
- On Saturday, in an online ceremony in Stockholm, the $100,000 Olof Palme human rights award will be bestowed upon the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, recognizing the BLM movement for its promotion of "peaceful civil disobedience against police brutality and racial violence," organizers say, per the...
2020 Nobel Peace Prize
Goes to World Food Program
Oct 9, 2020 5:05 AM CDT
2020 Nobel Peace Prize Goes to World Food Program
Organization praised for efforts to fight hunger
- This year's Nobel Peace Prize has gone to the world's largest humanitarian organization. In a virtual ceremony Friday, the Nobel Committee announced that it is honoring the United Nations' World Food Program for its efforts fighting hunger and food insecurity worldwide, the BBC reports. "In the face...
Trump Gets a
2nd Nobel Peace
Sep 9, 2020 7:33 AM CDT
Trump Gets a 2nd Nobel Peace Prize Nod
President nominated for Nobel by Norwegian Parliament member Christian Tybring-Gjedde
- President Trump has a big fan in Norway, and now the possibility of a Nobel Peace Prize, thanks to his somewhat-newfound friend. Fox News reports that Norwegian Parliament member Christian Tybring-Gjedde has nominated Trump for the honor based on his role in establishing relations between Israel and the United Arab...
Ethiopian Leader Wins
Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 11, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Ethiopian Leader Wins Nobel Peace Prize
Abiy Ahmed ended border conflict with Eritrea
- The 2019 Nobel Peace has been awarded to Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. Ahmed was cited for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and in particular for his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighboring Eritrea. The Norwegian Nobel Institute on Friday also praised the "...
Nobel Committee Is
Unfair, Trump Says
Sep 23, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
Nobel Committee Is Unfair, Trump Says
President says he deserves the honor, unlike Obama, but doesn't expect it
- President Obama received a Nobel Peace Prize but didn't deserve it. President Trump deserves one but won't get it. That's how Trump sees the situation, he said Monday at the UN. "I think I'm going to get a Nobel Prize for a lot of things,...
Abe Cites Nobel Policy in Not
Answering Question on Trump
Feb 18, 2019 2:12 PM CST
Abe Cites Nobel Policy in Not Answering Question on Trump
Japanese PM won't confirm or deny he nominated Trump
- Did Japanese PM Shinzo Abe nominate President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize in advance of the Jan. 31 deadline? Abe isn't saying, though he wasn't entirely silent on the topic. He was asked about it in Parliament Monday, days after Trump asserted that Abe nominated him and...
Oct 11, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Won't Keep Her $500K
Activist Nadia Murad will be donating it to help sex crime survivors
- If any Nobel Prize winners strive for the award solely for the money, Nadia Murad isn't among them. The
reports the 25-year-old Yazidi human rights activist, who shared this year's Peace Prize with Congolese doctor Denis Mukwege, will be giving her $500,000 portion of the Nobel...
Doctor, Former ISIS Captive
Win Nobel Peace Prize
Oct 5, 2018 6:55 AM CDT
Doctor, Former ISIS Captive Win Nobel Peace Prize
They fought the use of sexual violence in war
- The Nobel Peace Prize on Friday was awarded to a Congolese doctor and a Yazidi former captive of ISIS for their work to highlight and eliminate the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war, the AP reports. Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad "have made a crucial contribution...
Trump Formally Nominated
for Nobel Peace Prize
May 2, 2018 5:01 PM CDT
Trump Formally Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
18 House Republicans send letter to prize committee
- Republican lawmakers have nominated President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. Eighteen House members penned a letter Wednesday to the Nobel Prize Committee praising the president’s efforts to broker peace in the Korean Peninsula, reports the Hill . "President Trump has worked tirelessly to apply maximum pressure on North...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.