Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate
Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Sep 21, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Online critics falsely accuse 'Las Vegas Review-Journal,' issue threats to reporter
- A Las Vegas newspaper is being viciously attacked online for its coverage of an alleged murder of a retired police chief, with critics guilty of either a misunderstanding or a deliberate attempt to mislead, per the AP . The "firehose of hatred" has led the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then
Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Sep 14, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Juvenile in Huntington Beach, California, charged with homicide after 70-year-old cyclist died
- A juvenile driver in Huntington Beach, California, is accused of running down three cyclists within 45 minutes on Sunday, killing one. The cyclists were struck in separate incidents less than a mile apart, KTLA reports. The first incident occurred around 10pm when a cyclist was struck in a crosswalk by...
Victim Is a
Sep 8, 2023 9:36 AM CDT
Hit-and-Run Victim Is a Pedestrian Safety Advocate
Stephen Grasty, who fronted a 2013 Street Smart campaign, suffers broken leg, vertebra
- You could once see Stephen Grasty's face, with a thick black tire mark running from top to bottom, on billboards and buses across Washington, DC. In 2013, Grasty became the face of Street Smart, a pedestrian and bicycle safety campaign that urged drivers to yield to walkers and cyclists...
NFL Veteran Charged With
Hit-and-Run, Striking Witness
Aug 21, 2023 5:33 PM CDT
NFL Veteran Charged With Hit-and-Run, Striking Witness
Police: Bystander said driver slapped her across the face
- An NFL veteran faces multiple charges in South Carolina after police said he drove a pickup truck into four vehicles, struck a woman in the face, and fled the scene. Robert Quinn, a defensive back, turned himself in to Summerville police on Friday, per Yahoo Sports . The charges against Quinn...
One-Star Google Review
a Clue in Fatal Hit-and-Run
Aug 2, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
One-Star Google Review a Clue in Fatal Hit-and-Run
The man who left it witnessed the Florida crime
- "The last thing I saw before I shut my eyes was the side of the truck." That's the recollection of Tiffany Fletcher, who was headed to a saloon in Riverview, Florida, with her boyfriend on June 9 when a truck made a U-turn into their lane. She...
She Refused Ride From Drunk
Coworker, Still Ended Up Dead
Jun 15, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
She Refused Ride From Drunk Coworker, Still Ended Up Dead
Cops: Madison Faltisco fatally struck by Joshua Schiano as she walked home in Clay, NY
- After a night out, an upstate New York woman refused to get into a vehicle with her intoxicated coworker, saying she would rather walk home, a journey of between 3 and 4 miles. "She didn't get very far,"
reports. After walking less than a quarter...
Taylor Swift Fans
Make $13 Donations
After Man's Death
Apr 26, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Taylor Swift Fans Make $13 Donations After Man's Death
Jacob Lewis was struck by allegedly drunk driver after leaving Swift's Houston concert
- A Houston man is facing a felony murder charge after he allegedly struck and killed a man who'd just left a Taylor Swift concert. Jacob Lewis, 20, and his 26-year-old sister departed Houston's NRG Stadium early Saturday only to have their vehicle break down on the Southwest Freeway....
Man Kneeling at Friend's
Memorial Killed in Hit and Run
Apr 20, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Man Kneeling at Friend's Memorial Killed in Hit and Run
Michael Berry was visiting a memorial that had been erected on State Road 415
- A Florida man lost his life at the very spot where a friend had died two years prior—with both having been killed in the same way. Sanford resident Michael Berry, 42, was at the roadside memorial honoring his late friend on April 12 when Berry was struck and...
Down Cops, Was
Apr 10, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
She Flagged Down Cops, Was 'Victimized' Herself
City of Scottsdale settles with Yessenia Garcia for $200K after wrongful hit-and-run arrest
- An Arizona woman has been granted a $200,000 settlement from the city of Scottsdale and its police department after she says she was wrongfully arrested for a hit-and-run nearly three years ago. "Yessenia is totally innocent," Benjamin Taylor, the attorney for Yessenia Garcia, tells the
Woman Dies After Rideshare
Driver Leaves Her on Interstate
Jan 3, 2023 11:16 AM CST
Woman Dies After Rideshare Driver Leaves Her on Interstate
Woman was struck on busy road in Colorado
- A woman is dead following a hit-and-run on I-25 in Thornton, Colorado, a Denver suburb. The suspected driver is now under arrest, but as CBS News reports, many people—at least on social media—are "focusing their anger on the rideshare driver" who left the victim and her friends...
Despite Lies, Man
Actor Gets Light Sentence
Dec 1, 2022 12:27 AM CST
Despite Lies, Man Who Killed
Actor Gets Light Sentence
Brian Boyd struck Lisa Banes on a New York street
- The man who hit
actor Lisa Banes with his moped on a New York street, killing her, was on Wednesday sentenced to one to three years behind bars, the
New York Daily News
reports. Brian Boyd had pleaded guilty to manslaughter in September, but prosecutors said that after...
Teen's Final Act: Pushing
Sister Out of Harm's Way
Oct 21, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Teen's Final Act: Pushing Sister Out of Harm's Way
'He's my hero,' mom says of 13-year-old Tyler Phillips of Long Island, NY
- The family of a Long Island teen who was killed during a hit-and-run earlier this month is lauding his final act: saving his sister. NBC New York reports that on Oct. 12, the day after he turned 13, Tyler Phillips of Medford, NY, and his sister Krystal Randolph, also 13,...
Driver in Death
of Nicki Minaj's
Father Gets 1 Year
Aug 3, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Driver in Death of Nicki Minaj's Father Gets 1 Year
Charles Polevich says he is 'heartsick' over hit-and-run that killed Robert Maraj
: The driver who killed rapper Nicki Minaj's father in a hit-and-run accident last year has been sentenced to a year in jail—the maximum that Judge Howard Sturim said he would receive under a plea deal. Charles Polevich, 72, who surrendered to police days after the February 2021...
Cops: Driver Hit Woman,
Dragged Her 8 Miles
May 13, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Cops: Driver Hit Woman, Dragged Her 8 Miles
Pedestrian, 29, was fatally struck at an intersection in Fresno
- Police in central California were searching Friday for the driver of a pickup truck that struck a woman walking her dog and kept going, dragging her more than 8 miles to a hotel parking lot, where she was found dead. The 29-year-old woman was pushing a shopping cart and had...
Actor David Koechner
Charged Over NYE Arrest
Apr 1, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Actor David Koechner Charged Over NYE Arrest
'Anchorman' actor allegedly committed a hit-and-run while driving under influence
- David Koechner of
fame is facing charges of hit and run and driving under the influence following an arrest on New Year's Eve. The actor, also known for roles in
F Is for Family
, faces up to a year in...
Man Saves Wife, Son Before
Being Killed in Hit-and-Run
Mar 11, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Man Saves Wife, Son Before Being Killed in Hit-and-Run
Los Angeles police search for driver who struck Jemmy Chavarria in crosswalk
- Angelica Chavarria has lost her husband, her son Zion has lost his father, and—a member of the Los Angeles City Council said—the community has "lost a superdad." Jemmy Chavarria, 42, was killed Feb. 26 after being struck by a hit-and-run driver while the family crossed a...
Suspect in Hit-and-Run
That Left Kids Dead
Has Outburst in Court
Dec 30, 2021 6:03 AM CST
Suspect in Hit-and-Run That Left Kids Dead Has Outburst in Court
Sean Charles Greer, 27, ordered held without bond
- The driver accused of hitting a group of six children at a bus stop , killing two of them, was arrested Tuesday after allegedly fleeing the scene of the Monday afternoon crash in Wilton Manors, Fla. Police used a bumper left at the scene and a partial VIN to track him...
Driver Trying to Get Around Bus
Hits 6 Kids, Killing 2
Dec 28, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Driver Trying to Get Around Bus Hits 6 Kids, Killing 2
Hit-and-run is under investigation in Florida
- In a horrific Monday afternoon incident in Florida, two children were killed and another four injured, two of them critically, at a bus stop in Wilton Manors. Witnesses tell the
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
a car swerved in front of a bus in an attempt to get around it as it...
Teen on Joyride
Laughed About It
Sep 16, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Teen on Joyride Allegedly Killed Runner, Then Laughed About It
15-year-old charged in juvenile court with felony murder of Greg Moore
- A 15-year-old girl took her godmother's vehicle out for a joyride without permission, then decided to "scare" a runner by hitting and ultimately killing him, according to prosecutors in Washington state, who've filed criminal charges of second-degree felony murder and felony hit-and-run. Charging documents allege the 15-year-old...
Against 2 Kids
Aug 20, 2021 10:16 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced for 'Devastating' Hate Crimes Against 2 Kids
Nicole Poole Franklin gets another 25 years behind bars
- In May, a Des Moines woman received 25 years behind bars for state charges of attempted murder. She just got 25 more, this time thanks to a new sentencing on two federal hate crimes. Iowa's News Now reports that 43-year-old Nicole Poole Franklin, who admitted that in 2019 she...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.