Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Family Calls Swept-Away
Diver's Rescue a 'Miracle'
Jan 25, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Family Calls Swept-Away Diver's Rescue a 'Miracle'
Dylan Gartenmayer was found off Key West, Florida
- For a moment, the family members look out at the black speck in the water—fearful, waiting. Then they erupt in cheers, and no wonder. Their loved one, 22-year-old spearfishing diver Dylan Gartenmayer, had then been missing for at least three hours, per NBC Miami . Gartenmayer had been free diving...
Bartender Cracks Case
of Burned Key West Buoy
Jan 12, 2022 4:49 PM CST
Bartender Cracks Case of Burned Key West Buoy
He remembered suspect who ordered 3 rounds and never left a tip
- Police in Key West trying to find the suspects who vandalized an iconic local landmark in the early hours of New Year's Day got some help from a bartender with a good memory for bad tippers. After authorities shared video of the two suspects setting a Christmas tree on...
2 Dead, 10 Missing After
Boat Overturns Near Key West
May 28, 2021 3:06 AM CDT
2 Dead, 10 Missing After Boat Overturns Near Key West
Survivors say they left Cuba Sunday
- The Coast Guard says multiple units are searching for 10 people believed to be missing in waters near Key West, Florida. Another eight people were rescued Thursday afternoon and two bodies were recovered around 16 miles south of the island, CNN reports. The Coast Guard says the cutter Resolute saw...
Woman Allegedly Tried on
$15K Ring, Walked Out With It
Mar 5, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Woman Allegedly Tried on $15K Ring, Walked Out With It
Jannet Novelo-Aqela faces felony charge of grand theft
- A Florida woman has been arrested almost a month after she allegedly snagged a $15,000 diamond ring from a jewelry store in Key West. The manager of Gold Silver Creations says that on Feb. 10 a female shopper in a floral jumpsuit tried on a three-diamond, 14-karat white gold...
Police: Fake Dating Profile
Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Police: Fake Dating Profile Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Suspect and victim have never met but have dated the same man
- The threatening texts and phone calls began in October. The 36-year-old Key West woman blocked the calls, only to have them start up again from other numbers. "You think texts are bad, next is your house and your job," Florida police said Vanessa Marie Huckaba told her at...
Body Cam Footage: Cops
Try Handcuffing 8-Year-Old
Aug 11, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Body Cam Footage: Cops Try Handcuffing 8-Year-Old
Attorney Benjamin Crump says he plans to file lawsuit
- Handcuff an 8-year-old? Florida police tried it in 2018 but found the boy's wrists too small for the cuffs, NBC News reports. Attorney Benjamin Crump tweeted bodycam footage of the incident Sunday, which has already racked up 2.3 million hits: "Unbelievable," he writes, adding that Key...
Florida Couple Jailed After
Refusing to Quarantine
Jul 30, 2020 12:26 PM CDT
Florida Couple Jailed After Refusing to Quarantine
Key West residents ignored COVID-19 order
- Two Florida Keys residents who ignored orders to quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 ended up in jail Wednesday night. Jose Freire Interian, 24, and Yohana Gonzalez, 26, were charged with violating isolation rules for a quarantine and violating emergency management disaster preparedness rules, the
reports. Both charges...
He Just Bought
a Private Island.
Cops Say He
Stole From Kmart
Apr 9, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
He Just Bought a Private Island. Cops Say He Stole From Kmart
Andrew Lippi faces grand theft charges, accused of stealing $300 worth of items
- Andrew Lippi owns a resort that's been used in MTV's
and a private island in the Florida Keys that he purchased for $8 million last week. He was also just accused of trying to steal about $300 worth of items from Kmart. ABC News and the...
'Idiot' Jumps on Pelican,
Now Faces Charges
Mar 11, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
'Idiot' Jumps on Pelican, Now Faces Charges
Maryland's Hunter Hardesty posted now-viral video involving protected species
- Questionable content often finds its way onto Facebook, but viral videos of humans attacking animals generally don't go over well. A Maryland man is finding that out after he posted a clip Thursday from Key West, Fla., in which he's seen apparently luring a pelican over to the...
Key West Bans Sale of
Feb 7, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Key West Bans Sale of Certain Sunscreens
Hawaii also restricts products with certain chemicals
- Wear sunscreen, sure, but not just any kind—especially when you're in the Florida Keys. Key West lawmakers voted 6-1 Tuesday to ban the sale of sunscreens with oxybenzone and octinoxate, the
New York Times
reports. Studies have shown that the chemicals are damaging to coral reefs. "Our...
Conch Harvesting Gets Tourist
Over 2 Weeks Jail Time
Jul 19, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Conch Harvesting Gets Tourist Over 2 Weeks Jail Time
The Texas woman said she didn't know it was illegal to harvest the threatened mollusks
- A tourist in Florida has been sentenced to 15 days jail time after she says she thought she was simply collecting sea shells. Per the
, Diana Fiscal-Gonzalez was caught after harvesting dozens of queen conchs from the coast of Key West. Fiscal-Gonzalez, who was visiting from Texas, was...
Retiree Accepts Proposal After
Winning Conch Shell Contest
Mar 4, 2018 4:40 PM CST
Retiree Accepts Proposal After Winning Conch Shell Contest
Mary Lou Smith, 70, and Rick Race, 73, were both competing on a stage in Key West
- A Florida retiree has won the women's division in Key West's annual Conch Shell Blowing Contest—and accepted a marriage proposal from a fellow competitor. Seventy-year-old Mary Lou Smith impressed the judges Saturday with long blasts on the fluted, pink-lined shell. And when 73-year-old Rick Race proposed on...
Packing 130mph Winds,
Irma Makes Landfall in Florida
Sep 10, 2017 8:41 AM CDT
Packing 130mph Winds, Irma Makes Landfall in Florida
Monster hurricane slams into Cudjoe Key; up to 1M are already without power
- Hurricane Irma has made landfall in the Florida Keys, reports the AP . The US National Hurricane Center in Miami said the center of the massive hurricane made landfall on Cudjoe Key in the lower Florida Keys at 9:10am. Its top sustained winds are 130mph. Irma earlier began its assault...
Best Hemingway Lookalike:
Guy Named Hemingway
Jul 25, 2016 10:05 AM CDT
Best Hemingway Lookalike: Guy Named Hemingway
Like Ernest, he also likes to drink
- For the first time in its 36-year history, a Hemingway has won a competition seeking the man who most looks like literary giant Ernest Hemingway. Dave Hemingway was named the winner of the "Papa" Hemingway Lookalike Contest on Saturday in Key West, Fla., reports the AP . He says he'...
Fugitive's Home for 18 Years: Key West Houseboat
Mar 24, 2014 9:09 AM CDT
Fugitive's Home for 18 Years: Key West Houseboat
Michelle Singleton was living as Catherine Harris
- Michelle Singleton had a seemingly enviable life in Key West, Florida—that is, until police knocked on the door of her houseboat on Friday and took her into custody, 18 years after she was convicted of payroll check fraud. Singleton had skipped town in 1996, leaving Kansas City, Mo., before...
Key West Could Be
Underwater by 2113
Jul 2, 2013 2:05 PM CDT
Key West Could Be Underwater by 2113
Florida Keys prepare for sea level rise
- According to federal flood-planning directives, the ground floor of the Stock Island fire station in the Florida Keys should be built up 9 feet. Instead, county authorities went a foot and a half beyond that—just in case. Nearby parks, roads, and bridges also may be elevated. The sea level...
Feds Can Restrict
Dec 16, 2012 5:04 PM CST
Feds Can Restrict Hemingway's Cats: Ruling
Judges crack down on Key West museum
- Looks like Ernest Hemingway's famous six-toed cats won't roam so freely anymore. Three federal judges have ruled that a Key West, Fla., museum housing the cats can no longer keep them without restrictions, the
Christian Science Monitor
reports. The museum will have to put them in cages overnight,...
Man Commits Suicide
Over Obama Victory
Nov 14, 2012 2:17 AM CST
Man Commits Suicide Over Obama Victory
Fla. man scrawled 'F*** Obama' on will
- A troubled Florida man appears to have chosen death over another four years of President Obama, police say. Officers who had been requested to conduct a welfare check found the body of Henry Hamilton, 64, next to two empty bottles of anxiety and schizophrenia medication in the Key West home...
Top 10 Trashiest
Spring Break Cities
Feb 11, 2012 8:40 AM CST
Top 10 Trashiest Spring Break Cities
Las Vegas and Key West earn top 'honors'
- With spring break nearly here, the connoisseurs of trashiness at COED Magazine have ranked America's top 10 "trashiest" destinations:
Quickest Flight to Cuba
Now From Key West
Oct 14, 2011 4:16 PM CDT
Quickest Flight to Cuba Now From Key West
Feds approve flights, but restrictions remain
- Americans can now legally hop a plane in Key West and skip over to Cuba: The US government has given the green light to Key West International Airport to run charter flights to the communist state 90 miles away, reports the Huffington Post . Restrictions do remain: Havana-bound flights are limited...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.