Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Havana Syndrome' Victims
to Receive Compensation
Jun 23, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
'Havana Syndrome' Victims to Receive Compensation
Biggest amounts could go to those who lost their jobs because of symptoms
- After years of investigations and legislative pressure from Congress on their behalf, some victims of "Havana syndrome" are to receive $100,000 to $200,000 each in compensation. The health problems first reported by diplomats and intelligence officials include headaches, vision problems, dizziness, and brain fog. The US has...
After 6 Years
Detained in Iran,
She's Back Home
With Daughter, 7
Mar 17, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
After 6 Years Detained in Iran, She's Back Home With Daughter, 7
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are released
After years in detention in Iran, two British-Iranian nationals are back in the UK. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori were released Wednesday and arrived home early Thursday, following months of negotiations between the UK and Iran, the BBC reports. In a photo shared by Ashoori's daughter, Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 43,...
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
Fee Hike Is
on the Way
Dec 23, 2021 2:32 PM CST
Big Passport Fee Hike Is on the Way
Passport books will cost $20 more starting Monday
- American citizens applying for new passports or renewing old ones next week might get sticker shock: The fee is set to jump by 18%, more than double the rate of inflation, starting Dec. 27. The State Department tweeted this week that the cost of a passport book is going up...
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned
Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
Aug 20, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
State Department chief received internal document on July 13
- The White House says nobody anticipated that Afghanistan would fall so quickly. But the
Wall Street Journal
is out with a scoop about an internal State Department cable dated July 13 that warned things were about to get very bad in a hurry:
The cable, signed by 23 staffers,
Carving of Swastika
at State Department
Jul 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Blinken Denounces Carving of Swastika at State Department
Etching occurred inside the building's security perimeter
- A swastika carved into an elevator car has been discovered at the State Department in Washington—in a location within the building's security perimeter. The elevator is close to the office of the special envoy charged with monitoring and opposing anti-semitism, Axios reports. Secretary of State Antony Blinken emailed...
US Passports Are Getting
a Third Gender Option
Jul 1, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
US Passports Are Getting a Third Gender Option
State Department says applicants can now self-select gender
- Under changes announced by the State Department on Wednesday, American passports will still list a person's gender—but it will be up to the individual whether it says M or F, and a third option is on the way. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a release that...
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents
Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
May 13, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
That's just so far this year; total cases number more than 130: reports
- More than 130 US personnel within the CIA, State Department, Defense Department, and other agencies have suffered ailments, including what could be permanent brain damage, as a result of mysterious incidents that began five years ago—far more than the 60 cases that have been publicly disclosed. That's according...
US to Put 'Do Not Travel' Label
on 80% of World's Nations
Apr 19, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US to Put 'Do Not Travel' Label on 80% of World's Nations
State Department discourages Americans from going abroad during pandemic
- The State Department doesn't like the idea of Americans traveling to other nations during the pandemic, and it's about to make that clear. About 80% of the world's countries are getting the "Do Not Travel" warning, the
reports, up from 16% as of Monday....
Broke Ethics Rules
Apr 16, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Watchdog: Pompeo Broke Ethics Rules
Staff members were asked to pick up the dog and make salon appointments, report says
- More than 100 times, Mike Pompeo or his wife, Susan, asked State Department employees to handle errands and personal tasks for them, such as booking salon appointments and picking up the family dog. The former secretary of state told investigators the requests were minor, the sort of things friends do...
Trump Appointee Arrested
for Role in Capitol Riot
Mar 5, 2021 4:55 AM CST
Trump Appointee Arrested for Role in Capitol Riot
Federico Klein accused of assaulting police officers
- One of the latest people arrested in connection with the Capitol riot is a former State Department aide who worked on former President Trump's 2016 campaign. Federico Klein, 42, is the first known Trump appointee facing charges over the Jan. 6 attack, Politico reports. According to documents seen by...
Biden Makes Big Break
From Trump on Foreign Policy
Feb 5, 2021 7:09 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Break From Trump on Foreign Policy
'This war must end,' he says of Yemen conflict
- President Biden, declaring that "America is back," delivered his first diplomatic address as president Thursday. He outlined several policies that reverse those of the Trump administration, and one that also breaks with an Obama administration policy that he helped shape, the
New York Times
reports. Biden, calling Saudi...
to Europe, Just
Jan 12, 2021 1:47 PM CST
Pompeo's Trip to Europe, Just Announced, Is Canceled
State Department says the Biden transition is the reason, not threats of violence
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has canceled what would have been his final official trip abroad as concerns grow over potential violence at next week's presidential inauguration, the State Department said Tuesday. Less than 18 hours after announcing that Pompeo would be traveling to Brussels on Wednesday to close...
Critics Raise Alarm on
11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Jan 12, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Critics Raise Alarm on 11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Designation of Houthi rebels as terrorists could make it harder to deliver food amid crisis
- The Trump administration just made two big foreign policy moves. The one that drew most of the headlines was the designation of Cuba as a sponsor of terrorism. The other, though, is causing plenty of consternation on Capitol Hill and among humanitarian groups. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that...
State Department Site Briefly
Said Trump's Term Ended
Jan 12, 2021 12:08 AM CST
State Department Site Briefly Said Trump's Term Ended
It was the work of a disgruntled employee, sources say
- Biography pages for President Trump and VP Mike Pence on the State Department website briefly stated on Monday that their terms ended that day. BuzzFeed and PBS have screenshots. According to two currently-serving diplomats, it was a disgruntled employee who put up the fake message. The pages have since been...
US Shutters 2 Remaining
Consulates in Russia
Dec 19, 2020 7:30 AM CST
US Shutters 2 Remaining Consulates in Russia
US Embassy in Moscow will now be the only American diplomatic outpost in Russia
- Just days after news broke of a huge monthslong hack against American government agencies and Fortune 500 companies, a breach suspected to have been carried out by Russia, the United States is shuttering its last two consulates there. The US Consulate in Vladivostok will see its doors closed for good,...
Goes to State Dept.'s
Indoor Holiday Party
Dec 16, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Barely Anyone Goes to State Dept.'s Indoor Holiday Party
More than 900 were reportedly invited
- Perhaps America's appetite for attending indoor parties during a pandemic is waning? The
reports an annual State Department holiday party that was to be hosted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his wife had anemic turnout on Tuesday. Of the 900-plus guests invited, about 70 RSVP'...
Dec 11, 2020 4:35 PM CST
Watchdog Mostly Clears Travel by Susan Pompeo
Six of the eight trips weren't properly approved, report says
- An independent probe into the travel of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's wife has concluded that the trips with her husband on official business did not violate federal ethics rules. But, in a report released Thursday, the department's acting inspector general, Matthew Klimow, also determined that the State...
Report Finds Culprit
Dec 6, 2020 5:44 AM CST
Report Finds Culprit Behind Mystery US Diplomat Illnesses
'Directed' microwave energy apparently sickened envoys in Havana and China
- A new report by a National Academy of Sciences committee has found that “directed” microwave radiation is the likely cause of illness among American diplomats in Cuba and China. The study commissioned by the State Department and released Saturday is the latest attempt to find a cause for the...
China Threatens US Over
Diplomat's Taiwan Visit
Sep 17, 2020 12:02 AM CDT
China Threatens US Over Diplomat's Taiwan Visit
Krach is highest-level State Department official to visit island in decades
- A senior US State Department official is arriving in Taiwan on Thursday for a three-day visit, prompting a threat of possible retaliation from China. US Undersecretary of State Keith Krach is to meet Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen and other senior officials, the island's foreign ministry said Thursday. Krach, who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.