Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: Warrant for
Google Location History
Mar 31, 2022 4:27 AM CDT
Judge: Warrant for Google Location History Was Unconstitutional
Cops used 'geofence warrant' to find people who were near scene of bank robbery
- A warrant that used Google location history to find people near the scene of a 2019 bank robbery violated their constitutional protection against unreasonable searches, a federal judge has ruled. The decision—believed to be the first of its kind—could make it more difficult for police to continue using...
What You Should Know About
Alphabet's Stock-Split News
Feb 2, 2022 2:39 PM CST
What You Should Know About Alphabet's Stock-Split News
Entry point into investing in Google parent company will be lower in July
- Alphabet has had plenty of people doing division over the last day, after the Google parent company announced a planned 20-for-1 stock split, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. What does this mean for the value of the stock, the future of Alphabet and its subsidiaries, and the stock market at...
Googleplex Architect: Places
Like This Are 'Dangerous'
Jan 24, 2022 3:00 AM CST
Googleplex Architect: Places Like This Are 'Dangerous'
Clive Wilkinson says megaplex discourages work-life balance, innovation
- Loaded with gourmet meals, fitness classes, swimming pools, athletic courts, and so much more, Googleplex seems like a dream come true for most office employees. However, the architect who designed it says in hindsight that what he created fosters a “dangerous” dependency between employees and their employer, per NPR...
Dec 29, 2021 7:45 AM CST
Plaintiffs Nab Small Victory in Google Privacy Case
Judge rules that Sundar Pichai can be questioned regarding complaint about Chrome browser
- If you use Google Chrome and don't want the web browser to remember where you've been, you can head into "Incognito" mode, which ostensibly keeps your activity private. A lawsuit now brings under the microscope the meaning of what "private" actually means, and a California federal...
Russian Court Delivers
Huge Fine to Google
Dec 24, 2021 12:15 PM CST
Russian Court Delivers Huge Fine to Google
Meta also gets hit, for failing to delete banned content
- A Moscow court on Friday slapped Google with a nearly $100 million fine and also fined Facebook’s parent company Meta $27 million over their failure to delete content banned by local law, per the AP . The Tagansky District Court ruled that Google repeatedly neglected to remove the banned content...
This Year's Stock Market Rise
Has a Potential Hitch
Dec 21, 2021 11:16 AM CST
This Year's Stock Market Rise Has a Potential Hitch
It hinges on 5 big stocks, which makes investors worried
- If your 401(k) has done well in 2021, a Goldman Sachs analysis points to five key reasons:
Profits at Google's
Parent Firm Jump 68%
Oct 26, 2021 6:53 PM CDT
Profits at Google's Parent Firm Jump 68%
Rebound in digital ad spending meant big bucks for Alphabet
- A continued rebound in digital ad spending at Google drove its parent company's profit up 68% in the third quarter. Alphabet Inc. said Tuesday that it earned $18.94 billion, or $27.99 per share, in the July-September period. Revenue rose 41% to $65.12 billion, more than $1....
Google Makes Big Move
on Climate Change Denial
Oct 8, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Google Makes Big Move on Climate Change Denial
Company to restrict ads on Google, YouTube that promote climate change misinformation
- Google is cracking down on digital ads promoting false climate-change claims or being used to make money from such content, hoping to limit revenue for climate change deniers and stop the spread of misinformation on its platforms. The company said Thursday in a blog post that the new policy will...
Google Tells Its Workers
Vaccinations Are Required
Jul 28, 2021 1:08 PM CDT
Google Tells Its Workers Vaccinations Are Required
The policy will eventually be rolled out to offices around the globe
- Google is putting itself in the vaccination-mandate camp. CEO Sundar Pichai told employees in a Wednesday morning email that anyone working at its US campuses must be vaccinated. That policy will be expanded to its other locations around the globe in the coming months, he said, per the
3 Tech Giants Report
of More Than $50B
Jul 27, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
3 Tech Giants Report Combined Profits of More Than $50B
Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet have more than doubled in value during pandemic
- Three tech companies— Apple, Microsoft, and Google owner Alphabet—reported combined profits of more than $50 billion in the April-June quarter, underscoring their unparalleled influence and success at reshaping the way we live. The results served as another reminder of the clout they wield and why government regulators are growing...
Following Google Maps Up
This Mountain Could Kill You
Jul 16, 2021 3:01 AM CDT
Following Google Maps Up This Mountain Could Kill You
Mountaineers in Scotland are trying to get the problem fixed
- Want to get to the top of Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain? Don't follow Google Maps' directions. Mountaineers in Scotland, where the mountain is located, say the service directs people to drive to the parking lot that is nearest the summit, then walk from there—but the...
Trump Is Suing Big Tech
Jul 7, 2021 11:57 AM CDT
Trump Is Suing Big Tech
He files class-action suits against Facebook, Twitter
- Donald Trump is taking on tech giants again—this time as a private citizen. The former president, speaking at his Bedminster golf club in New Jersey, announced Wednesday that he is leading class-action lawsuits against Facebook, Twitter, Google, and their CEOs, NJ.com reports. He accused the companies of censoring...
Plan to Ditch Cookies
Jun 24, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Google Delays Plan to Ditch Cookies
Removal of third-party trackers from Chrome pushed back to 2023
- Google is delaying by nearly two years a plan to remove web-tracking cookies from the world's most extensively used web browser. The plan was for Google's Chrome web browser to stop supporting third-party cookies, which track a user's web-browsing habits, by January 2022. But on Thursday, Alphabet...
Google, Hospital Chain
Cut Data Deal on
May 26, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Google, Hospital Chain Cut Data Deal on Patient Records
Goals include greater efficiency, help for clinicians
- Google is moving deeper into the health care business. Under a multiyear deal with HCA Healthcare, a hospital chain, the companies' engineers will develop algorithms to help monitor patients, guide medical decisions, and increase efficiency. Google will store data generated by HCA's medical devices, as well as information from...
Random Internet User
Buys Google Domain for $3
Apr 23, 2021 3:34 AM CDT
Random Internet User Buys Google Domain for $3
Argentinian version of site was down for several hours Wednesday
- The Argentinian version of Google went offline for a few hours this week after the domain was bought by an Internet user for less than $3. Nicolas Kuroña tweeted Wednesday night that he saw the domain google.com.ar for sale and legally bought it when he visited the...
She Found Her Dream Job
at Google, Learned a Lesson
Apr 8, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
She Found Her Dream Job at Google, Learned a Lesson
Emi Nietfeld: 'After I quit, I promised myself to never love a job again'
- Emi Nietfeld landed her dream job as a Google software engineer in 2015. And as she recounts in a
New York Times
op-ed, it was much more than a job to her—it was a lifestyle that she embraced. "I ate all my meals at the office," she...
Supreme Court Backs Google
in Landmark Copyright Case
Apr 5, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Backs Google in Landmark Copyright Case
Justices say company doesn't owe Oracle over use of its code
- The Supreme Court sided with Google in an $8 billion copyright dispute with Oracle on Monday. The case has to do with Google's creation of the Android operating system, now used on the vast majority of smartphones worldwide, per the AP . To create Android, which was released in 2007,...
Google Says It Will
'Pause the Jokes' Again
Apr 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
Google Says It Will 'Pause the Jokes' Again
This is the second April 1 of the pandemic, it notes
- For the second year in a row, Google has decided that this is not the right time for jokes or stunts like " Google Tulip ." According to an internal email seen by Business Insider , the company told managers to "pause the jokes" for another year because the pandemic...
Apple for $600K
Mar 31, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Man Blames Apple for $600K Bitcoin Theft
Scam cryptocurrency app was downloaded from the 'trusted' App Store
- Apple says its App Store is "the world's most trusted marketplace for apps," where each submission is carefully reviewed. Still, one app on iOS was able to steal $1.6 million in bitcoin from at least five people, reports the
. On Feb. 1, Phillipe Christodoulou...
Facebook Agrees to Terms
on News Content in Australia
Mar 15, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Facebook Agrees to Terms on News Content in Australia
News Corp and Google reached a deal already
- News Corp and Facebook announced on Tuesday new pay deals for news in Australia, three weeks after the government passed laws that would make digital giants help cover the costs of journalism. The New York-based news business that operates mainly in the US, Britain, and Australia said it had reached...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.