Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Democratic presidential primaries
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Racks Up Primary Wins
Jun 2, 2020 7:33 PM CDT
Biden Racks Up Primary Wins
Pennsylvania gave him biggest delegate prize
- Joe Biden is on the cusp of formally securing the Democratic presidential nomination after winning hundreds more delegates in primary contests Tuesday that tested the nation's ability to run elections while balancing a pandemic and sweeping social unrest. Biden could lock down the nomination within the next week as...
Today Could Be
the Day for Joe Biden
Jun 2, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Today Could Be the Day for Joe Biden
Former VP could seal the Democratic nomination Tuesday
- Tuesday could be the day that Joe Biden is crowned the official Democratic presidential nominee. There are 479 delegates up for grabs as Indiana (82), Maryland (96), Montana (19), New Mexico (34), Pennsylvania (186), Rhode Island (26), South Dakota (16), and the District of Columbia (20) hold Democratic presidential primaries,...
Ohio Gives Biden
a Reason to Smile
Apr 29, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Ohio Gives Biden a Reason to Smile
First major test of mail-in voting is complete
- Joe Biden easily trumped Bernie Sanders in Tuesday's presidential primary in Ohio, conducted almost entirely by mail, reports the Hill . The former vice president nabbed 72.4% of 860,347 votes cast, according to unofficial results , compared to 16.6% support for Sanders, who ended his campaign three weeks...
NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Apr 27, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Sanders Campaign: NY Decision an 'Outrage'
Primary cancellation called a 'blow to democracy'
- The New York Board of Election's decision to cancel the state's Democratic primary is an "outrage" and a "blow to American democracy," Bernie Sanders' campaign said Monday. Campaign senior advisor Jeff Weaver said in a statement that the Board of Elections is ignoring the fact...
New York Makes
Apr 27, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
New York Makes Unprecedented Primary Move
It has canceled the Democratic primary
- New York's Democratic presidential primary has been axed—making it the first state to make such a move. The two Democrats on the New York State Board of Elections said it wasn't worth the risk of spreading the coronavirus just to hold "essentially a beauty contest,"...
Dems, Trump Clash
Over Pandemic Voting
Apr 4, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Dems, Trump Clash Over Pandemic Voting
And the Wisconsin primary is center stage
- While Wisconsin struggles to hold its primary on Tuesday, President Donald Trump and Democrats are bickering over how to provide voters with safe and secure access to a ballot as the coronavirus pandemic rages in the US and threatens to extend into the fall, affecting the general election, the AP...
Sanders Under Pressure
After Biden's Triple Win
Mar 18, 2020 6:56 AM CDT
Sanders Under Pressure After Biden's Triple Win
Biden reaches out to Sanders supporters
- Joe Biden cruised to victory in all three states that held Democratic primaries Tuesday—but there were no triumphant rallies in Florida, Illinois, and Arizona for him to address. Instead, the former vice president, obeying federal guidance against gatherings of more than 10 people, addressed supporters from his home in...
'And Then There Were Two'
Mar 14, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
'And Then There Were Two'
Sunday's debate will feature only two candidates: Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden
- And then there were two. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are set to meet Sunday night in their first one-to-one presidential primary debate after months of Democratic free-for-alls that presaged a dramatic culling of the field since the opening round of the 2020 race, the AP reports. Some key questions...
on Cuba Could
Cost Him Big
Mar 12, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Sanders' Remarks on Cuba Could Cost Him Big in Florida
Biden has advantage among various demographics, including Hispanics, ahead of Tuesday's primary
- Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign is struggling after Joe Biden's big wins in recent primaries, and another important state on the horizon also doesn't look particularly promising for the Vermont senator. Marc Caputo writes for Politico that after "Michigan broke Bernie Sanders' heart Tuesday, Florida looks ready to...
Picks Up a
Mar 11, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
Bernie Finally Picks Up a Tuesday Win
Sanders wins North Dakota, as he and Biden are still tied in Washington
- After big wins for Joe Biden in Michigan, Missouri, and Mississippi on Tuesday, the picture is looking only slightly brighter for Bernie Sanders out West. In what may be his only win of the night, Sanders won North Dakota's caucuses; the state offers up 14 pledged delegates, reports the...
Mar 7, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Joe Biden Mini-Gaffe Is Fresh Meat Online
The presidential candidate can't get 'Bernie Bros' quite right
- Joe Biden took a swing at Bernie Sanders supporters Friday and stumbled into a gaffe that's classic Joe—which generated a few chuckles online,
reports. "What we can't let happen is let this primary become a negative bloodbath," Biden said at a Maryland fundraiser....
New DNC Rules on Debates
Leave Tulsi Gabbard Out
Mar 6, 2020 4:55 PM CST
New DNC Rules on Debates Leave Tulsi Gabbard Out
Presidential candidate is still on the campaign trail
- Rep. Tulsi Gabbard hasn't been onstage for the past five Democratic presidential debates. She faces long odds for the next one, too. The Democratic National Committee announced Friday that to qualify, candidates will need to have won at least 20 percent of the pledged delegates by March 15, when...
Bernie Faces Must-Win State
Mar 4, 2020 7:00 PM CST
Bernie Faces Must-Win State
Losing Michigan could be catastrophic, write David Siders and Holly Otterbein
- Super Tuesday was tough on Bernie Sanders—but Michigan? It could be the end. So argue David Siders and Holly Otterbein in a sobering analysis of the March 10 primary. "It was Michigan where Sanders engineered a primary day miracle four years ago, upsetting Hillary Clinton and imprinting his...
Group Sues to Extend Voting
in Tornado-Hit Tennessee
Mar 4, 2020 12:11 AM CST
Group Sues to Extend Voting in Tornado-Hit Tennessee
Storm damage closed 21 polling stations
- Advocates have filed a lawsuit in Tennessee seeking to extend Super Tuesday voting until Friday. Hours before polls opened, tornadoes killed at least 24 people in parts of the state including Nashville. The suit filed by the National Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law states that storm damage affected...
Report: Obama Told Biden He's
Holding Off on Endorsements
Mar 2, 2020 4:36 AM CST
Report: Obama Told Biden He's Holding Off on Endorsements
Former president wants to be a 'unifier,' source says
- The Democratic field is narrowing —but Barack Obama is in no rush to endorse a candidate. CNN , citing sources "close to Obama," report that the former president called Joe Biden, his former vice president, to congratulate him on his big win in the South Carolina primary , but...
Pete Buttigieg Has Bad
News for Campaign Staff
Mar 1, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Pete Buttigieg Has Bad News for Campaign Staff
The 2020 candidate is dropping out
- Democrat Pete Buttigieg is ending his campaign for president. Three people with knowledge of Buttigieg’s decision tell the AP he is informing campaign staff. They were not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity. His campaign says Buttigieg will speak Sunday night in South Bend, Indiana. Buttigieg rose to...
a Big Claim
After SC Win
sunday talk shows
Mar 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Biden Makes a Big Claim After SC Win
Joe Biden and Sen. Sanders both hit the talk-show circuit
- Joe Biden said Sunday he can "unite this country, the whole country" after scoring a comeback victory in South Carolina’s Democratic primary that could force moderate rivals out of the race and blunt the rise of progressive leader Bernie Sanders, the AP reports. Biden vowed he would improve...
South Carolina Is Voting.
6 in 10 Want Reparations
Feb 29, 2020 3:00 PM CST
South Carolina Is Voting. 6 in 10 Want Reparations
These primary voters are also more likely to want the Obama days
- South Carolina Democrats were voting in Saturday’s presidential primary with a greater sense of nostalgia for the Obama presidency than voters in earlier contests—likely reflecting the state's sizable bloc of African American voters, the AP reports. Voters in the Palmetto State were more likely than those in...
A New Poll Has Troubling
News for Elizabeth Warren
Feb 28, 2020 12:06 PM CST
A New Poll Has Troubling News for Elizabeth Warren
She's trailing in her home state of Massachusetts
- Elizabeth Warren didn't see the results she wanted in Iowa , New Hampshire , and Nevada , and it remains to be seen how she'll fare in the South Carolina primary on Saturday, though it doesn't look promising there , either. With Super Tuesday coming up in a few days, Warren'...
Polls Show Biden Way
Ahead in South Carolina
Feb 27, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Polls Show Biden Way Ahead in South Carolina
Polls show former vice president leading closest rivals by around 20 points
- A new poll shows that Joe Biden, who needs a victory in South Carolina's Democratic primary Saturday, has nothing to worry about. He leads Bernie Sanders, 36% to 26%, in a Monmouth University poll and Tom Steyer, 35% to 17%, in a Clemson University Palmetto Poll. Steyer was third...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.