Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,175,545+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
New York Yankees
Stories 1 - 20 |
Yankees' First Team Workout Is a Disaster
A line drive hit a star pitcher in the head, and 2 players missed practice after testing positive
- The Yankees made their official return to the field Saturday for the first team workout since the pandemic ended spring training. New York got off to a painful start. Pitching in a simulated game, Masahiro Tanaka was struck in the head by a line drive hit by slugger Giancarlo Stanton....
Somehow, He Did What No Other Pitcher Has Done
Journeyman Don Larsen, who threw a perfect game in the World Series, is dead at 90
- Former Yankees pitcher Don Larsen has died at age 90, and the news brings a reminder of a name and accomplishment that might be familiar even to those who don't follow baseball: He threw the only perfect game in World Series history, notes NPR . Larsen managed the feat in...
Walk-Off Sets Up World Series That Could Buck a Trend
Astros and Nationals are rich in dominant pitching
- A ninth inning with dueling home runs sent the Astros to the World Series and a matchup with the Nationals. The Yankees came back Saturday night in Houston to tie the Astros with a homer by D.J. LeMahieu in a 10-pitch at-bat, Deadspin reports. Jose Altuve launched a walk-off...
Minnesota Sets Record for Baseball Futility
They've lost 16 straight playoff games, are eliminated again
- For Minnesota Twins fans, it's a sad, familiar story: The team got eliminated from the playoffs Monday night by the New York Yankees. But the 5-1 loss for Minnesota has an added sting—the Twins have now lost a remarkable 16 straight playoff games, which is a Major League...
Iowa Will Host Its First MLB Game, in the Most Perfect Spot
8K-seat stadium will be built before next August at the site where 'Field of Dreams' was shot
- There won't be Angels in the outfield, but there will be Yankees. The Chicago White Sox will play a game against the New York Yankees next August at the site in Iowa where the movie
Field of Dreams
was filmed, reports the AP . Major League Baseball announced Thursday that...
Meghan Markle, Harry Step Out for a Ball Game
The royals welcome the Yankees, Red Sox in British debut; Meghan meets a relative
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made one of their first joint outings since introducing baby Archie , and it was to mark the arrival of American royalty of sorts—the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees making Major League Baseball's debut across the pond. The
A Yankees Home Run Breaks MLB Record
They homered in 28th straight game
- The New York Yankees have homered for the 28th straight game, breaking a major league record. And they wasted no time setting the mark Tuesday night. DJ LeMahieu hit a leadoff shot into the second deck down the left field line against Toronto lefty Clayton Richard, giving the Bronx Bombers...
Ballplayer Gets Death Threats for Bunting
'It is what it is,' says the opposing pitcher
- Sure, bunting to break up a no-hitter in the ninth violates baseball's unwritten rules—but death threats? It all began at a double-A game Tuesday night in Connecticut when Matt Lipka, an outfielder for Trenton Thunder, bunted with one out in the ninth inning against the Hartford Yard Goats,...
Yankees Drop 'God Bless America' Version Over Racism Claims
Kate Smith sang 'That's Why Darkies Were Born'
- The New York Yankees have suspended the use of Kate Smith's recording of "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch while they investigate an allegation of racism against the singer. There are conflicting claims about Smith's 1939 song "That's Why Darkies Were Born," the...
'Sandman' Is First-Ever Unanimous Hall of Fame Pick
He got all 425 votes
- This honor was saved for the one and only Mariano Rivera. Not Babe Ruth. Not Hank Aaron. Not Cy Young. Not until "the Sandman" could everyone agree. Rivera became baseball's first unanimous Hall of Fame selection, elected Tuesday along with Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina, and the late Roy...
Sox Mark World Series Win With a Yankees Diss
Boston Red Sox blasted Frank Sinatra's 'New York, New York' in the locker room
- Like a boy who pulls the ponytails of the girl he secretly likes on the playground, the Boston Red Sox gave a shoutout of sorts to the New York Yankees after winning the World Series Sunday night. In the locker room after emerging victorious 5-1 in Game 5 against the...
Pitcher Throws Away $500K Bonus to Defend Teammate
CC Sabathia ejected for hitting a batter just 2 innings shy of his bonus mark
- So agonizingly close. Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia got ejected Thursday in his last start of the season for hitting a batter, and the timing was especially costly. Sabathia got tossed in the sixth inning—leaving him two innings shy of the 150 he needed for the year to earn a...
Yankees' Home Opener Gets Snowed Out
Monday's game rescheduled for Tuesday afternoon
- Aaron Boone woke up before heading to the ballpark for his first home opener as New York Yankees manager and peeked outside the window. "Huh," he recalled saying to himself. "It really is 100% chance of snow at 7am." Two hours later, the Yankees postponed Monday'...
Astros Win Game 7, Head to World Series
They lost 3 in a row, came back
- Charlie Morton and Lance McCullers combined for a three-hitter, Jose Altuve and Evan Gattis homered and the Houston Astros reached the World Series, blanking the New York Yankees 4-0 Saturday night in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series, the AP reports. Just four years removed from their third straight...
Player Reassured by Family of Girl Hit by Foul Ball
'He said she’s doing well'
- Todd Frazier says he's found some relief after speaking to the family of the girl hospitalized after being hit in the face by a 105mph foul ball during a baseball game Wednesday, the
New York Times
reports. The New York Yankees player says he spoke to the girl's...
Young Girl Hit by 105mph Ball at Yankees Game
Players were in tears as she was taken away
- Players and fans were shaken Wednesday after a foul ball hit a young girl in the face during a game at Yankee Stadium. (This video captures their reactions.) The game between the New York Yankees and the Minnesota Twins was delayed for several minutes while the girl, who was...
Red Sox Caught Cheating With Apple Watch: Report
Team was reportedly using it to steal signals from Yankees
- The Boston Red Sox have reportedly admitted to Major League Baseball that they improperly used electronic devices to steal signs from their longtime rival, the New York Yankees, the AP reports. According to the
New York Times
, the Red Sox used an Apple Watch to relay signs by the Yankees...
MLB Pitcher's Tragic Struggle to Fit In, Succeed, Find Peace
The sad, conflicted life of Hideki Irabu, who killed himself in 2011
- He was known as the "Japanese Nolan Ryan" for how fast he could hurl a ball. But more unflattering descriptions eventually found their way to MLB's Hideki Irabu, leading to a downward spiral that culminated in his 2011 suicide . In his look at Irabu for
Court: Sorry, Can't Blame Conviction on Yankees Cap
Man's appeal rejected
- David Alcantara was wearing a Yankees baseball cap when he committed bank fraud and conspiracy to counterfeit currency, but his attempt to blame his conviction on the cap has failed. Alcantara committed his crimes in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut , and there's a legendary rivalry between New York Yankees...
Yankee Fan Drops Bomb on GF—and Engagement Ring
But did Andrew Fox make the save?
- If Red Sox fans didn't have enough to taunt Yankees fans about, Tuesday's game between the two rivals offered more ammunition. A Pennsylvania man decked out in pinstripes decided to propose to his girlfriend at Yankee Stadium, and he had his stunt all worked out, down to getting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cohen 'Had Rug Pulled Out From Under Him' in Prison Stunner
CEO Says US Is 'Blessed' to Have Trump, Spurs Boycott
Lawyer: Pandemic Has Wrecked De Niro's Finances
Report: Feds Are Working Hard to Prevent Maxwell Suicide
Trump Boasts About Wowing Doctors on Cognitive Test
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.