Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Carnival Misled Passengers on
2020 'COVID' Cruise: Court
Oct 25, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
Carnival Misled Passengers on 2020 'COVID' Cruise: Court
In landmark ruling, Ruby Princess passengers win class-action suit against Carnival Australia
- Carnival Australia was negligent in misleading passengers about the measures in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 ahead of a March 2020 cruise that resulted in 900 cases and 28 deaths, an Australian court ruled Wednesday in what Reuters reports is "the first class action win against a...
Man Sues Hospital
Over His Lost Tumor
Sep 12, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Man Sues Hospital Over His Lost Tumor
Sample was supposed to be analyzed for cancer but was misplaced, per Seattle man's complaint
- After Jeremy Morton-Maxson had a tumor on his bladder removed at the University of Washington Medical Center-Northwest on Aug. 17, 2022, just two days after it was discovered, he felt a sense of urgency in finding out if it was cancerous, due to a family history of bladder cancer. After...
Family Awarded $800K in
Chicken McNugget Burn Suit
Jul 20, 2023 1:41 AM CDT
Family Awarded $800K in Chicken McNugget Burn Suit
McDonald's, franchisee had already been found liable
- A Broward County jury on Wednesday awarded the family of a girl who was burned by a Chicken McNugget from her McDonald's Happy Meal $800,000, CNN reports. That covers pain and suffering, disfigurement, mental anguish, inconvenience, and loss of capacity for enjoyment of life, with half of the...
Just Got Messier
Dec 22, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Litigation Just Got Messier
Assistant director David Halls countersues, alleging negligence by Alec Baldwin, others
- The finger-pointing over the fatal firing of a live round on the set of
continues, with the film's assistant director claiming he should not be held liable for harm alleged and deserves compensation from other parties involved if he is. David Halls on Friday filed a countersuit to...
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer
Knew Petito Was Dead
Dec 7, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer Knew Petito Was Dead
Gabby Petito's parents claim he made 'coldhearted' statement on a possible reunion anyway
- Gabby Petito's parents filed a motion Tuesday to add Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the parents of Brian Laundrie, to their ongoing negligence lawsuit against the couple, alleging he, too, knew Laundrie had killed Petito before her body was found. Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt initially sued Christopher and...
Family Sues Little League Over
Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Sep 21, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Family Sues Little League Over Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Easton Oliverson of Utah suffered a serious head injury
- A Utah boy who suffered a serious head injury after falling from a bunk bed during last month's Little League World Series in Pennsylvania has returned home from the hospital, and his family is suing the league and the company that made the bed. Easton Oliverson, 12, of St....
Gaffer on the Moment
That Will 'Haunt Him Forever'
Nov 11, 2021 8:17 AM CST
Gaffer on the Moment That Will 'Haunt Him Forever'
Serge Svetnoy files negligence suit naming producers, assistant director, armorer
- The chief electrician on the set of
didn't name names when he spoke out about a lack of professionalism that set the stage for the accidental shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21. But he's naming names now. On Wednesday gaffer Serge Svetnoy, 63, became...
Texas Mayor After Child's Death
From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Oct 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Texas Mayor After Child's Death From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'
Parents of Bakari Williams sue Arlington for $1M
The parents of a 3-year-old Texas boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba found in water samples from an Arlington splash pad he visited are suing the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell are seeking at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit alleging negligence at Don Misenhimer...
Dogs Were Sent
Overseas to Help.
A Report Details
Sep 16, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Dogs Were Sent Overseas to Help. A Report Details Their Horrors
State Department probe details serious neglect, terrible conditions for bomb-sniffers in Jordan
- A hotline complaint about US bomb-sniffing dogs working overseas jump-started a State Department probe, and the resulting report is a disturbing one. Federal investigators looking into the health and welfare of the canines sent to Jordan—one of several partner nations the US sends specially trained dog to for assistance...
He Had a Window
Seat. The Dog Lunged
From the Middle: Suit
May 30, 2019 8:08 AM CDT
He Had a Window Seat. The Dog Lunged From the Middle: Suit
Suit says he bled so much after attack on Delta flight 'entire row of seats had to be removed'
- A Delta flight Marlin Jackson took in June 2017 from Atlanta to San Diego ended up being a horrific one, he claims—and now he's suing the airline and another passenger for negligence after an animal attack he says caused him "severe physical pain and suffering," as...
'I Have the Most Terrible Thing
to Tell You. They Killed Laura'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 18, 2018 3:22 PM CST
'I Have the Most Terrible Thing to Tell You. They Killed Laura'
Weeks after his wife's death, Peter DeMarco learned the truth
- There's a good chance you heard Peter DeMarco's story. Or, at least, the first version of it. The Massachusetts man received national press after a heartfelt thank-you he wrote to the employees of CHA Cambridge Hospital was published in the
New York Times
. In it, he extolled the...
Proposal Didn't Get
in case you missed it
Oct 13, 2018 7:46 AM CDT
Guy's Disney Proposal Didn't Get Fairytale Ending
Marc Rubin claims employee started altercation that ended up getting him arrested, sues Disney
- A Long Island man thought July 8, 2015, was going to be "one of the most important" days of his life, but now he's suing Disney World for ruining it. Fox News reports on Marc Rubin's lawsuit, which the 57-year-old filed Sept. 27 in Florida's Orange...
Surgeon Who Removed
Sep 20, 2018 1:44 AM CDT
Surgeon Who Removed Healthy Kidney Denies Negligence
He was supposed to remove woman's adrenal gland
- A South Dakota surgeon admitted to mistakenly removing an Iowa woman's healthy kidney but denied that he breached the standard of care, according to the surgeon's response to a lawsuit filed by the patient. Dr. Scott Baker and the Surgical Institute of South Dakota acknowledged in an answer...
Man Hurt in Copperfield Trick
on Hook for His Own Injuries
May 30, 2018 9:19 AM CDT
Man Hurt in Copperfield Trick on Hook for His Own Injuries
Illusionist was found to be negligent but not liable
- Illusionist David Copperfield was found negligent but not financially responsible for a British tourist's injuries during a signature vanishing act that used participants from the audience of a Las Vegas Strip show in 2013, a jury said Tuesday. Gavin Cox and his wife, Minh-Hahn Cox, alleged negligence by the...
Doc Who Says He's Done 40K
Abortions Pleads Guilty for One
May 7, 2018 11:23 AM CDT
Doc Who Says He's Done 40K Abortions Pleads Guilty for One
Prosecutors say Robert Rho botched 30-year-old woman's abortion, leading to her death
- A doctor's attorney says a death under his client's watch was tragic but not criminal; an assistant DA calls it a case of "greed and arrogance." Either way, Dr. Robert Rho, who says he's done at least 40,000 abortions, has pleaded guilty to criminally...
Mar 2, 2018 9:18 AM CST
Aly Raisman Goes After US Olympic Committee
Nassar, USA Gymanstics also named in lawsuit
- Six-time Olympic medalist Aly Raisman is suing the US Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics, claiming both organizations "knew or should have known" about abusive patterns by disgraced former national team doctor Larry Nassar, the AP reports. The lawsuit, filed in California on Wednesday, alleges negligence by the USOC and...
Suit: Trip to Amusement Park
Ended With Eye-Eating Parasite
Dec 1, 2017 8:52 AM CST
Suit: Trip to Amusement Park Ended With Eye-Eating Parasite
Robert Trostle is suing Kennywood for negligence
- Its website proclaims Kennywood "Pittsburgh's best amusement park." Robert Trostle would likely append "for contracting an eye-eating parasite" to the end of that. That's what the Squirrel Hill man is claiming happened to him during a July 2 visit to the Pennsylvania park, per a...
Suit: Dad Heard Ghastly Crack
as Boy Died in Rotating Eatery
Nov 18, 2017 9:15 AM CST
Suit: Dad Heard Ghastly Crack as Boy Died in Rotating Eatery
Rebecca and Michael Holt accuse Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel of negligence
- The family of a 5-year-old boy whose skull was crushed in the rotating wall of a hotel restaurant has sued the Atlanta hotel, accusing it of negligence in his death. Attorney Joseph Fried filed suit Wednesday for Rebecca and Michael Holt of Charlotte, North Carolina, whose son Charlie died April...
New Mom Becomes Quadruple
Amputee and Blames Hospital
Oct 13, 2017 10:42 AM CDT
New Mom Becomes Quadruple Amputee and Blames Hospital
Lindsey Hubley says doctors' negligence led to flesh-eating disease
- When Lindsey Hubley visited a hospital complaining of a "sharp, distinct, abdominal pain" a few days after giving birth, she says doctors blamed constipation without examining her. The 33-year-old Canadian woman then headed home, only to return to IWK Health Center in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the next day, per...
Lawyer: Key Missing From
Sandy Hook Massacre Room
Sep 6, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Lawyer: Key Missing From Sandy Hook Massacre Room
He says the emergency folder he inspected should have contained a key
- A missing key "is going to be a big part of our case moving forward," says a lawyer for two families who are suing Newtown, Conn., over the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre. The
Danbury News Times
reports that the school district had said in court documents that each...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Vermont Suspect Reportedly Told ATF Agents, 'I've Been Waiting for You'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.