Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4 Furry Suspects
in Tahoe Mayhem
Aug 7, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Authorities Bust 4 Furry Suspects in Tahoe Mayhem
'Hank the Tank' and her youngsters have been captured in California after string of break-ins
- California authorities have captured four suspects in multiple break-ins at homes around South Lake Tahoe, and they're not who you might think: a mama bear and three of her cubs. DNA has confirmed the large female black bear and her three little accomplices were responsible for at least 21...
Cops: Man Who Fondled
Feet in Tahoe Arrested
Aug 3, 2023 9:54 AM CDT
Cops: Man Who Fondled Feet in Tahoe Arrested
Mark Anthony Gonzales, 26, accused of sneaking into Nevada resort condos to commit creepy crime
- A California man accused of sneaking into Lake Tahoe vacation condos and fondling women's feet has been arrested. On Wednesday, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office in Nevada said that 26-year-old Mark Anthony Gonzales of Atwater had been taken into custody on Monday and hit with burglary and battery...
Rep Gives Update
After Snow Plow
Jan 3, 2023 12:39 AM CST
Jeremy Renner's Rep Gives Update After Snow Plow Accident
Actor is still in critical but stable condition after surgery
- Jeremy Renner remains in critical but stable condition after a snow plow accident at his Reno, Nevada, home Sunday following a big storm in the area the day prior. "We can confirm that Jeremy has suffered blunt chest trauma and orthopedic injuries and has undergone surgery today, January 2nd...
There's a Lot Less Trash
in Lake Tahoe Now
May 12, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
There's a Lot Less Trash in Lake Tahoe Now
It won't alter systemic problems in the lake, but it sure doesn't hurt
- Lake Tahoe is now home to 25,000 fewer pounds of trash, thanks to Clean Up the Lake, a California nonprofit that recently finished clearing garbage to a depth of 25 feet along all 72 miles of the lake’s shores, per the
Over the course of a year,...
That Snoring Noise Was
Not What Family Thought
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
That Snoring Noise Was Not What Family Thought
Mom and 4 yearling cubs have since moved on from hibernating under Lake Tahoe home
- A California family thought they occasionally heard a strange sound coming from underneath their Lake Tahoe home, but when they asked neighbors to listen for the rumbly noise, similar to snoring, no one else noticed it. So they ignored it ... until last week, when the five bears who'd spent...
'Hank the Tank'
Is Not Just One Bear
Feb 25, 2022 1:40 AM CST
'Hank the Tank' Is Not Just One Bear
Officials say at least 3 bears are responsible for rash of property damage
- Hank the Tank is actually a three-bear battalion. DNA evidence now shows that the 500-pound black bear the public had nicknamed “Hank the Tank” is, in fact, at least three not-so-little bears who have damaged more than 30 properties around Lake Tahoe in recent months. The California Department of...
Hank the Tank
Feb 22, 2022 6:14 AM CST
Hank the Tank Strikes Again
Supporters hope to remove black bear from Lake Tahoe area, where he's wreaking havoc
Hank the Tank is at it again. The 500-pound black bear who's been busting into homes around Lake Tahoe made his way into yet another home Friday, according to South Lake Tahoe police. "He broke into a secured home, through the small window in the photo, and...
Father, Son Accused of
Starting Caldor Fire
Dec 9, 2021 1:48 AM CST
Father, Son Accused of Starting Caldor Fire
California wildfire burned for 67 days before it was contained
A father and son stand accused of reckless arson in the California wildfire that threatened the storied Lake Tahoe region, the
reports. After a monthslong investigation involving multiple search warrants, David Scott Smith, 66, and Travis Shane Smith, 32, were on Thursday taken into custody on a...
She Heard a
Noise in the Kitchen.
Then, a 'Big Paw
Right on My Face'
Nov 6, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
She Heard a Noise in the Kitchen. Then, a 'Big Paw Right on My Face'
Laurel-Rose von Hoffmann-Curzi, who has cancer, fought off bear in her Lake Tahoe vacation cabin
- For Laurel-Rose von Hoffmann-Curzi, her Lake Tahoe vacation home has been a refuge during the pandemic, especially since she has stage 4 non-Hodgkin lymphoma and is particularly vulnerable to COVID. But the 66-year-old retired doctor says she won't be going back to the cabin anytime soon after a black...
Storied Ski Resort Makes
'a Big, Big Statement'
Sep 14, 2021 8:58 AM CDT
Storied Ski Resort Makes 'a Big, Big Statement'
Squaw Valley, host of 1960 Olympics, changes name to Palisades Tahoe
- The largest ski resort at California's Lake Tahoe will no longer be known as Squaw Valley. The Olympic Valley resort cast off its 72-year-old name on Monday, unveiling its new moniker, Palisades Tahoe. The resort, a host site for the 1960 Winter Olympics, had announced an upcoming name change...
Lake Tahoe Residents
'Thankful to Be Alive'
Sep 8, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Lake Tahoe Residents 'Thankful to Be Alive'
They're returning home, though Caldor Fire is only 50% contained
- Residents are returning to the Lake Tahoe resort area more than a week after evacuation orders spurred by the Caldor Fire , though full containment is still weeks away. More than 53,000 people had been ordered to evacuate by Sept. 1. At that time, officials expected full containment by Wednesday....
'This Fire Does Stuff
I’ve Never Seen Before'
Sep 1, 2021 12:59 PM CDT
'This Fire Does Stuff I’ve Never Seen Before'
Firefighters make progress in Tahoe battle, but danger remains
- Firefighters battling to save the Lake Tahoe resort area got some help from the weather overnight. Operations section chief Tim Ernst told firefighters Wednesday morning that they had "lucked out" with winds that were not as fierce as expected, allowing them to make progress defending the South Lake Tahoe...
Fire May Wipe Out
Lake Tahoe As We Know It
Aug 31, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
Fire May Wipe Out Lake Tahoe As We Know It
Iconic resort area is endangered
- As the Caldor Fire bears down on Lake Tahoe , experts warn that an "urban conflagration" could see the popular resort area around the lake gutted. Old homes and log cabins with wood porches and roofs are common in the neighborhoods around Lake Tahoe, which straddles the California-Nevada border, as...
As Fire Bears Down, Residents
of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Aug 30, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
As Fire Bears Down, Residents of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Evacuations ordered as 'Today, it let loose'
- Fire officials ordered more evacuations around the Tahoe Basin as a two-week-old blaze encroached on the mountain towns surrounding glimmering Lake Tahoe. By nightfall, the AP reports that all residents on the California side of the Lake Tahoe Basin were warned to evacuate, after fire officials had stressed for days...
Guy's Suit: I Went to Dump Dog
Poop, Encountered a Bear
Aug 17, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
Guy's Suit: I Went to Dump Dog Poop, Encountered a Bear
Calif. tourist on Nevada side of Lake Tahoe says he hurt himself trying to flee from bear in dumpster
- He took his dog for a walk, ran into a bear in a dumpster, and hurt himself trying to get away. That's the upshot of a confrontation two years ago in Lake Tahoe between a California tourist and said bear, and now the subject of a lawsuit in Nevada'...
Sets Lake Tahoe Record
Aug 11, 2021 3:16 PM CDT
14-Year-Old Swimmer Sets Lake Tahoe Record
James Savage is the youngest person to swim lake's 21.3-mile length
- A 14-year-old California boy has become the youngest person to swim the entire 21.3-mile length of Lake Tahoe and complete the alpine lake’s coveted Triple Crown. James Savage of Los Banos completed the trip across the scenic lake, which straddles the California-Nevada line, in 12 hours on Aug....
They Were About
Then, a Splash
Mar 22, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
They Were About to Exchange Wedding Rings. Then, a Splash
Bride's wedding ring falls into Lake Tahoe during ceremony, but there's a happy ending
- It's a happy ending after all following a Washington state couple's heart-stopping marriage ceremony that left the bride's wedding ring submerged in Lake Tahoe. "It was going off without a hitch and I was thinking in my head, 'No weddings just go without a hitch,...
Recovery of Man's Body
Is Deepest Ever in US
Sep 30, 2020 11:38 AM CDT
Recovery of Man's Body Is Deepest Ever in US
Remains of Ryan Normoyle retrieved from 1,565 feet below the surface
- The body of a man missing since August has been retrieved from 1,565 feet below the surface of Lake Tahoe in what's thought to be the deepest recovery ever recorded in the US. Ryan Normoyle's body was recovered Sunday, some seven weeks after the 29-year-old disappeared. He'...
California Has First Case
of Plague in 5 Years
Aug 18, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
California Has First Case of Plague in 5 Years
Dog-walker may have been bitten by infected flea
- Because a pandemic, a heat wave , and rolling power shortages weren't enough, California is now dealing with the plague, too. Health authorities in South Lake Tahoe say a local resident has tested positive—the first case for the state in five years, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The best...
This Mountain Just Delivered
an 'Exciting' Weather Event
Feb 10, 2020 8:42 AM CST
This Mountain Just Delivered an 'Exciting' Weather Event
Still-to-be-confirmed wind gust of 209mph on California's Kirkwood Mountain 'looks legitimate'
- Winds at the Kirkwood Mountain Resort near Lake Tahoe were so strong on Sunday that the ski resort closed for the day "to ensure guest and employee safety," reports KCRA . The resort's tweet on the matter also cited a notable stat: that the wind gusts may have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.