Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
7 Hurt After Black Friday
Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
Nov 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
7 Hurt After Black Friday Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
And in Tennessee, 3 are dead, 4 wounded after mass shooting in Nashville apartment
- A trio of shootings across the US left three dead and nearly a dozen injured on Black Friday. NBC News reports that the three fatalities happened at an apartment in Nashville, Tenn., in an incident that also left four injured. Per WKRN , police responded to the shooting that took place...
Protesters Pressure Amazon
With Black Friday Actions
Nov 26, 2021 4:55 PM CST
Protesters Pressure Amazon With Black Friday Actions
Various groups call for treating employees better, paying taxes, cutting emissions
- A coalition of organizations protested at Amazon buildings in the US and Europe on Friday, causing scattered disruptions on one of the company's busiest days. Separately, the environmental group Extinction Rebellion blocked access to distribution centers in the UK, the BBC reports, and said at least 30 of its...
Site Suggests 10 Legit
Deals on Black Friday
Nov 19, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Site Suggests 10 Legit Deals on Black Friday
WalletHub notes that many 'sales' aren't actually sales
- Not all Black Friday deals are as good as they seem, with WalletHub concluding that nearly a quarter of such "deals" offer no savings at all. (They compared prices beforehand with those on the big sales day.) The site, however, looked at products in a wide range of...
Black Friday Sales
Break a New Record
Nov 28, 2020 4:20 PM CST
Black Friday Sales Break a New Record
US retail websites rock an estimated $9B in sales
- Black Friday online sales hit a new record this year as pandemic-wary Americans filled virtual carts instead of real ones, the AP reports. Consumers spent an estimated $9 billion on US retail websites on Black Friday, according to Adobe Analytics, which tracks online shopping. That was a 22% increase over...
Sacramento Mall Evacuated
After Man Killed in Shooting
Nov 28, 2020 5:47 AM CST
Sacramento Mall Evacuated After Man Killed in Shooting
Police say the suspect fled
- A shooting at a Sacramento mall Friday killed one young man and left a teen with life-threatening wounds and police looking for the attacker, the
reports. Shots were reported shortly after 6pm at Arden Fair Mall, police spokesman Karl Chan said. One person was found dead at the...
Black Friday Crowds Will
Be Much Smaller This Year
Nov 27, 2020 4:50 AM CST
Black Friday Crowds Will Be Much Smaller This Year
But it's still a beacon of hope for struggling stores
- After months of slumping sales and businesses toppling into bankruptcy, Black Friday is offering a small beacon of hope. In normal times, Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year, drawing millions of shoppers eager to get started on their holiday spending. But these are not normal times:...
Walmart: Here's Our
New Black Friday Plan
Oct 14, 2020 4:47 PM CDT
Walmart: Here's Our New Black Friday Plan
For one thing, its deals will be spread over 3 weekends
- Walmart says it will spread out its traditional one-day Black Friday deals over three weekends in November in an effort to reduce crowds in its stores during a pandemic, the AP reports. The nation's largest retailer said Wednesday that more of its doorbuster deals will be reserved for online,...
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat'
Has Emerged Against Amazon
Dec 2, 2019 8:25 AM CST
On Cyber Monday, a 'Threat' Has Emerged Against Amazon
Target, Walmart, other retailers could suck share on what's set to be biggest online shopping day yet
- Nearly 70 million Americans will be plopped in front of their computers or phones today, and not just because they're back to the grind after the long holiday weekend. It's Cyber Monday, an online extension of the Black Friday sales that have gone on for years, and Reuters...
How Black Friday Really Did
Nov 30, 2019 12:50 PM CST
How Black Friday Really Did
Sales should hit $9.4B by Cyber Monday
- This year’s Black Friday was the biggest ever for online sales, as fewer people hit the stores and shoppers rang up $7.4 billion in transactions from their phones, computers, and tablets, the AP reports. That's just behind the $7.9 billion haul of last year's Cyber...
Three Stabbed Among
Shoppers in The Hague
Nov 29, 2019 3:23 PM CST
Three Stabbed Among Shoppers in The Hague
- Three people were wounded in stabbings in The Hague’s main shopping street Friday night, and police were searching for at least one suspect, Netherlands authorities said. Police spokeswoman Marije Kuiper told the AP in a telephone interview that it was still too early to say whether a terror motive...
Costco Pays Dearly
for Shopping SNAFU
Nov 29, 2019 2:19 PM CST
Costco Pays Dearly for Shopping SNAFU
Website crashed on Thanksgiving, costing the company an estimated $11M in sales
- Black Friday 2019 is winding down, and if there's a quote that sums up the gist of the day's coverage, it might be this one in the
Wall Street Journal
. "The mad rush isn’t here anymore," says Reila Prose of the San Antonio area while...
It's 'Block Friday'
in This Country
Nov 29, 2019 10:29 AM CST
It's 'Block Friday' in This Country
French lawmakers, activists worry about overconsumption
- More than 200 brands are boycotting Black Friday in France this year. But come next year, there might not be a Black Friday in the country at all. A French legislative committee on Monday approved an amendment to an anti-waste bill that proposes to ban Black Friday and other "...
This Is the Shortest Holiday
Shopping Season Since 2013
Nov 29, 2019 6:20 AM CST
This Is the Shortest Holiday Shopping Season Since 2013
More intense scramble predicted
- The mad scramble between Thanksgiving and Christmas just got six days shorter. Black Friday once again kicks off the start of the holiday shopping season. But with six fewer days than last year, it will be the shortest season since 2013 because Thanksgiving fell on the 28th—the latest possible...
Time and a Half for Working
Thanksgiving? Not at Walmart
Nov 27, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Time and a Half for Working Thanksgiving? Not at Walmart
Employees will get modest store discount instead for working shifts this holiday weekend
- Walmart will be operating at regular hours this Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but unlike retailers Target and Amazon, it won't be offering employees paid time and a half. In fact, as the
reports, Walmart workers won't get any extra pay. Instead, they'll receive a 10% discount...
The Best Black Friday Guides,
and the 'Nasty Surprises'
Nov 23, 2018 10:44 AM CST
The Best Black Friday Guides, and the 'Nasty Surprises'
Top primers on top deals
- It's Black Friday, and if you didn't get a jump on your holiday shopping on Thanksgiving itself (or even if you did), there are more deals waiting for you today. The
New York Times
sums up what products make sense to shop for (video games, "smart" home...
Gunman Killed During
Black Friday Sales
Nov 23, 2018 6:46 AM CST
Gunman Killed During Black Friday Sales
2 others injured at Alabama mall
- Alabama's biggest mall is closed until further notice after a shooting that left two people injured and the suspect dead. The incident happened Thursday night at Riverchase Galleria in the Birmingham suburb of Hoover, which had been scheduled to stay open until midnight ahead of Black Friday sales, NBC...
68.9% Off?! Stores With the
Best Black Friday Discounts
Nov 14, 2018 11:32 AM CST
68.9% Off?! Stores With the Best Black Friday Discounts
WalletHub ranks 35 major stores by average discount
- Black Friday is just a week and a half away, and WalletHub has the lowdown on which stores you might want to hit up. The site analyzed Black Friday ads from 35 major US retailers—comprising almost 7,000 deals—and ranked the stores by average discount. That's not...
Black Friday Broke
Nov 27, 2017 1:03 AM CST
Black Friday Broke Background-Check Record
The previous record was set last year
- On Black Friday this year, American shoppers may have bought record numbers of a perennial favorite: guns. The FBI says it had 203,086 requests for background checks on Friday, smashing the previous single-day record of 185,713, which was set on Black Friday last year,
TVs May Be Best Deals
for Black Friday Shoppers
Nov 24, 2017 6:59 AM CST
TVs May Be Best Deals for Black Friday Shoppers
The holiday shopping sprint is underway
- Black Friday is here, and 2017's version looks like it might be the strongest one in recent years, reports Business Insider . Generally speaking, crowds are looking larger, perhaps thanks to metrics such as low unemployment and a rising stock market. "The turnout is clearly better than the last...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Adventurer's 2nd Attempt to Cross Atlantic Ends in Death
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
Flight Circles Back After Passengers Decide to Upgrade
Deception or an Oversight? 2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.