Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal
as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jul 18, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Cops Eye Freed Career Criminal as Suspect in Serial Killings
Jesse Lee Calhoun is person of interest in deaths of 4 women near Portland, Oregon: reports
- Days after police arrested a suspected serial killer linked to the deaths of four women in New York, authorities have identified a person of interest in the deaths of four women on the other side of the country. Kristin Smith, 22; Charity Perry, 24; Bridget Webster, 31; and Ashley Real,...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Ready for Movie Night?
These US Cities Are Best
Feb 11, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Ready for Movie Night? These US Cities Are Best
New York takes No. 1 spot for movie lovers on Lawn Love list
- If you love movies as much as Nicole Kidman loves movies , there are certain cities where you'll be in Hollywood heaven. Lawn Love wanted to find where movie lovers could have the most "memorable cinematic experience," so the outdoor-services website looked at the 200 largest US cities,...
This Is the Best City in
America if You're Single
Nov 28, 2022 1:09 PM CST
This Is the Best City in America if You're Single
Seattle tops WalletHub's ranking, and there are plenty of other options across the US
- Looking for love these days can be tough. Along with people still exercising caution over COVID and prices spiking due to inflation, the dating scene can prove challenging all around. To help take that unintended sting out of Cupid's arrow, WalletHub put 182 cities across the US under the...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
US Cities to Be Car-Less
Nov 15, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Be Car-Less
You don't need wheels to get around San Francisco, per LawnStarter
- In some places, not having a car could adversely affect everything from employment opportunities to how you spend your downtime. LawnStarter wanted to see where a vehicle isn't as necessary for your daily routine, so it looked at the 200 largest cities in the US to measure their standings...
This Is the
Oct 6, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
This Is the Greenest City in America
San Diego takes the top spot in WalletHub's ranking of environmentally conscious metropolises
- With what seems like a never-ending series of headlines tied to the effects of global warming on Earth, many of us may be thinking ahead on what we can do next to help save our planet. Where we choose to live could also prove meaningful, with some cities around the...
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
After First Day of Classes,
Tragedy on Oregon Campus
Aug 30, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
After First Day of Classes, Tragedy on Oregon Campus
Column collapse kills student at Lewis & Clark College in Oregon
- The first day of classes at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon, ended in tragedy Monday night when a freestanding brick column collapsed on a group of students, reports CNN . Portland Fire and Rescue responded around 8:15pm local time to reports of several students injured, including one who...
Pacific Northwest Readies
for Dangerous Heat
Jul 29, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Pacific Northwest Readies for Dangerous Heat
Several deaths already are tentatively blamed on hyperthermia
- Extreme heat is forecast to stretch through the weekend in the Pacific Northwest, and authorities are investigating whether triple-digit temperatures were to blame for the deaths of at least four people. The Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office said at least three people have died of suspected hyperthermia during the...
Candidate Criticized After
Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Jun 30, 2022 4:04 PM CDT
Candidate Criticized After Mocking 'City of Roaches'
Oregon governor contender Betsy Johnson takes heat over her label of Portland
- An independent candidate for governor of Oregon took an interesting approach to building support, criticizing the state's largest city by suggesting the bloom is off the City of Roses because of homelessness. Betsy Johnson's comments appeared this week in a
New York Times
newsletter , the
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
County Acts After Public
Dissection of WWII Veteran
Apr 15, 2022 2:36 PM CDT
County Acts After Public Dissection of WWII Veteran
Teary officials in Multnomah County, Ore., move to ban for-profit display of human remains
- The widow of a World War II and Korean War veteran who thought she was donating his body to science was aghast to learn that it was instead dissected in front of a paying audience at a Portland hotel last October. Now, as the
reports, the Multnomah County Board...
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
Woman in Portland Gives
Birth on Sidewalk, Walks Away
Mar 10, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Woman in Portland Gives Birth on Sidewalk, Walks Away
Newborn is fine, and mother is undergoing a mental health evaluation
- A disturbing story out of Portland, Oregon, but one that seems to have ended as well as possible under the circumstances. Police say a woman gave birth on a downtown sidewalk and then walked away from the newborn, reports KOIN . Bystanders quickly wrapped up the baby and called 911, and...
Filed in Shooting
Feb 23, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Murder Charge Filed in Shooting of Protesters
Family, neighbors say Benjamin Jeffrey Smith had complained about demonstrations
- The man police say opened fire on a crowd of people demonstrating for racial justice and against police violence in a park has been charged with murder and attempted murder. Four people were injured in the attack Saturday night in Portland, Ore., and Brandy "June" Knightly, 60, was killed,...
1 Dead, 5 Hurt After
Homeowner Angry at
Protest Opens Fire
Feb 21, 2022 12:41 AM CST
1 Dead, 5 Hurt After Homeowner Angry at Protest Opens Fire
4 of the victims were working as traffic safety volunteers
- A shooting that left one person dead and five others injured in Portland, Ore., happened during a confrontation between a homeowner and protesters at a park where a march was planned to protest police violence, authorities said Sunday. Officers responding to Normandale Park Saturday night found one woman dead, and...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Front of Paying
Nov 4, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
COVID Victim Dissected in Front of Paying Audience
His family says they never gave consent for 'pay-per-view autopsy'
- In late August, David Saunders, a 98-year-old decorated World War II veteran from Louisiana, died of COVID, and his widow, Elsie, tried to donate his body to LSU for science, though the university refused due to his COVID status. Through a Baton Rouge funeral home, she found another company that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.