Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 18, 2023 9:00 AM CST
OpenAI Board Abruptly Ousts CEO Sam Altman
Says 'he was not consistently candid in his communications'; co-founder Greg Brockman quits
- In news that shook Silicon Valley on Friday, Sam Altman, the CEO of ChatGPT maker OpenAI, was abruptly fired, though no one yet knows quite why. The Verge and the AP report that the company's board of directors made the move, releasing a statement that noted a "leadership...
AMC CEO Sent Woman Photos,
She Used Them to Extort Him
Oct 13, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
AMC CEO Sent Woman Photos, She Used Them to Extort Him
NY woman, convicted of cyberstalking, reportedly demanded $300K from Adam Aron
- The CEO of AMC Theaters sent sexually explicit images and messages to a woman who later tried to extort hundreds of thousands of dollars from him. Adam Aron fessed up to the mess Thursday on X after Semafor identified him as the CEO involved in the case. "I became...
26-Year-Old Tech CEO
Found Dead in Baltimore
Sep 26, 2023 3:27 PM CDT
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Pava LaPere's death has been ruled a homicide
- A tech CEO who grabbed a spot on the 2023
30 Under 30 List in the Social Impact category was found dead Monday, and the
reports Pava LaPere's death was on Tuesday ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner's office. Police says the 26-year-old...
One of America's Best-Paid
CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Sep 22, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
'WSJ' reports that Kiwi Camara left CS Disco after alleged groping incident
- In July, Kiwi Camara made it onto a list of America's 10 highest-paid CEOs , with a 2022 compensation package higher than that of Apple's Tim Cook. But he abruptly resigned this month, giving up stock options that were worth around $110 million at one point. CS Disco, which...
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies
Need to Lose Their Jobs
Sep 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Tycoon Says 270K Aussies Need to Lose Their Jobs
Multimillionaire Tim Gurner courts controversy in saying workers need to be shown their place
- One of Australia's richest men has apologized after calling for 270,000 job losses to show workers their place. Gurner Group founder and CEO Tim Gurner, a multimillionaire real-estate tycoon, was speaking at the
Australian Financial Review
's property summit on Tuesday when he said workers have become "...
Jun 5, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
His Job Security Shaky, CNN's Boss Apologizes
Network CEO's job appears to be in jeopardy after scathing profile in 'Atlantic'
- CNN chief Chris Licht had such a bad weekend that some thought he might tender his resignation when addressing the staff Monday morning. Instead, the 51-year-old offered an apology and vowed to earn back the trust of people he let down, reports CNBC . The controversy stems from an in-depth profile...
Workers of 'Quiet
Care of Kids
Apr 21, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
CEO Accuses Workers of 'Quiet Quitting,' Taking Care of Kids
Clearlink's James Clarke made some eyebrow-raising comments on remote work at town hall
- The CEO of a digital marketing and tech firm is taking a fair amount of flak after remarks that targeted remote workers and working moms. James Clarke, head of Utah-based Clearlink, spoke during a companywide town hall last week to discuss a recent return-to-work order now that the pandemic has...
'Pity City' CEO Sorry Her
Comments 'Seemed Insensitive'
Apr 20, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
'Pity City' CEO Sorry Her Comments 'Seemed Insensitive'
The MillerKnoll leader made her controversial statements during a March town hall
- The MillerKnoll CEO who instructed employees who were worried about whether they'd be getting a bonus to "leave pity city" has apologized to her staff. MLive reports Andi Owen, who's been at the helm of the company since 2018, sent an email that read, in part: "...
Starbucks' New CEO
Is a Certified Barista
Mar 21, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Starbucks' New CEO Is a Certified Barista
Laxman Narasimhan officially took the reins of the coffee giant on Monday
- Starbucks officially has a new CEO. The Seattle coffee giant said Monday that Laxman Narasimhan has assumed the role of CEO and joined the company's board of directors. Narasimhan succeeds longtime Starbucks leader Howard Schultz, who came out of retirement last spring to serve as interim CEO while the...
Missing Chinese CEO Is
'Cooperating' in Gov't
Feb 27, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Missing Chinese CEO Is 'Cooperating' in Gov't Investigation
His company, China Renaissance, now says founder Bao Fan is cooperating with government
- Bao Fan, the billionaire Chinese investment banking CEO who has disappeared, is "cooperating in" a government investigation, according to China Renaissance Holdings, the company he founded and runs—and which reported him missing weeks ago. The company's board has since "become aware that Mr. Bao is currently...
CEO Sorry for
'All Time Classic Bad'
Jan 31, 2023 10:35 AM CST
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
Quoting MLK was 'inappropriate,' admits PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
- PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada announced she was laying off 7% of the company's workforce seven paragraphs into a 1,700-word email to employees that referred to the firings as "refinements," included news of executive promotions, and concluded with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. "I...
Netflix Announces Surprise
Jan 20, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Netflix Announces Surprise Leadership Shake-Up
Co-founder Reed Hastings steps down as co-CEO, will stay on as executive chairman
- Netflix has a new co-CEO. Greg Peters, who has been serving as the streaming service's chief operating officer, will now take the helm alongside Ted Sarandos, replacing co-founder Reed Hastings, reports the Verge . Hastings will stick around as the company's executive chairman, "a role that founders often...
Ousted Disney CEO's
Exit Pay Revealed in Filing
Jan 18, 2023 11:28 AM CST
Ousted Disney CEO's Exit Pay Revealed in Filing
Bob Chapek's package is worth about $20M
- Bob Chapek may be out at Disney, but he's definitely not down and out. A Tuesday regulatory filing shows he's slated to walk with a severance package worth about $20 million. Insider gives the breakdown: It's $6.5 million in base salary tied to the scheduled end...
CEO Hit With
Another Big Fine
Jan 10, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Ex-McDonald's CEO Hit With Another Big Fine
SEC finds Steve Easterbrook misled investors over his 2019 firing
- Steve Easterbrook is continuing to pay for his relationships with underlings while serving as CEO of McDonald's. Already forced to return a $105 million severance package so as to settle a lawsuit from his former employer, he's now been fined $400,000 by the Securities and Exchange Commission...
AMC Networks Is Having
a Rough Day
Nov 29, 2022 11:38 AM CST
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
CEO Christina Spade leaves after 3 months as network announces layoffs
- A surprise in the world of cable TV on Tuesday: AMC Networks CEO Christina Spade stepped down after less than three months on the job, reports CNBC . Neither Spade nor the network gave a specific reason, but the company announced large-scale layoffs soon after the announcement was made, per the...
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want
to Be the CEO of Any Company'
Nov 16, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want to Be the CEO of Any Company'
The CEO/CEO/CEO testified in a Tesla shareholder trial in Delaware
- Elon Musk is a CEO in triplicate: It's the title he has at Tesla, SpaceX, and now Twitter. But as he tells it, he'd prefer the count to be zero. Musk said as much from the witness stand Wednesday while in a Delaware court where he was battling...
CEO's Advice to Young Workers:
Years of 18-Hour Workdays
Aug 31, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
CEO's Advice to Young Workers: Years of 18-Hour Workdays
Suggestion by Bombay Shaving Co. chief Shantanu Deshpande isn't going over well
- On the heels of stories about "quiet quitting" —a workplace trend in which employees are doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs—comes hand-wringing over one man's very opposite work mindset. It's that of the CEO of India's Bombay Shaving Company, who took to...
'$70K CEO' Dan Price Resigns
Aug 18, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
'$70K CEO' Dan Price Resigns
Gravity Payments CEO says he's focusing on fighting 'false accusations' of misconduct
- Gravity Payments CEO Dan Price has resigned—and the move is apparently unconnected to his 2015 decision to pay all employees, including himself, a $70,000 salary. In a tweet Wednesday, the CEO of the Seattle-based payments processing company shared a letter to his colleagues in which he said he...
Selfie a Symptom
of 'Banal' LinkedIn
Aug 12, 2022 3:53 PM CDT
CEO's Teary Selfie a Symptom of 'Banal' LinkedIn
'Everyone's personal anecdotes sound like TED Talks for robots,' Slate's Shannon Palus writes
- The head of a social media marketing company recently took some flak for posting a "vulnerable" picture on LinkedIn , showing him in tears as he relayed how he had to lay off some of his workers. Braden Wallake has since issued an apology of sorts for his post as...
Tech CEO Accused of Killing
Roommate's GF 30 Years Ago
Jul 12, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
Tech CEO Accused of Killing Roommate's GF 30 Years Ago
John Kevin Woodward to face 3rd trial
- John Kevin Woodward, CEO of online training company ReadyTech, is going to face a third trial in the 1992 murder of his roommate's girlfriend. Woodward, 58, relocated to the Netherlands after two trials in the 1990s ended in hung juries. Prosecutors say he was arrested Saturday after he arrived...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
After Austin's Israel Remarks, Graham Has 'Lost All Confidence'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.