Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
Buffalo Area Buried,
and the Snow Keeps Falling
Nov 19, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Buffalo Area Buried, and the Snow Keeps Falling
Some areas of Western New York already have 5-feet-plus, and it's not supposed to stop till Sunday
- Buffalo is accustomed to snow. This weekend, however, the city and surrounding parts of Western New York are getting a storm for the books, with some areas already buried under several feet of the white stuff, and precipitation expected to continue through Sunday morning. In Orchard Park, about 20 minutes...
Out of Town
Nov 17, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Forecast Moves Bills Game Out of Town
NFL shifts Buffalo-Cleveland matchup to Detroit in anticipation of deep snow
- The NFL is relocating the Bills home game against the Cleveland Browns to Detroit on Sunday because of a lake-effect snowstorm forecast to hit the Buffalo region. The decision was made before the storm even began, the AP reports. The forecast is for between one and three feet of snow...
In a First, All Snow in
Olympics Will Be Fake
Feb 3, 2022 11:40 AM CST
In a First, All Snow in Olympics Will Be Fake
Beijing practice could be the new norm amid climate change
- The Winter Olympics have long been aided by fake snow. As Quartz reports, it began with the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, NY, as officials turned to snowmaking machines to pump out the white stuff in the midst of a dry winter. Over the years, amid warming global temperatures, officials...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
Denver Without Snow in
December: It's 'Unheard Of'
Dec 1, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Denver Without Snow in December: It's 'Unheard Of'
City could log 2nd-longest period without snow within days
- Never in recorded history has Denver entered December without logging some snowfall—until now. The city, which has yet to receive its first measurable snow (more than a tenth of an inch) of the 2021 winter season, has blown past its previous record for the latest first snowfall set on...
Major Storm Threatens
Nov 18, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Major Storm Threatens Thanksgiving Travel
Forecasters see a couple of scenarios
- A major storm could throw a wrench into the plans of Thanksgiving travelers next week. It's too soon to know how the weather will break, meteorologists said, but several ways could affect millions of people planning holiday trips,
reports. "We could be looking at a huge...
Makes a Late
Apr 20, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Winter Weather Makes a Late Reappearance
Next week, many of the same areas that are cold now will be in the 80s
- A resurgence of wintry weather is moving east after leaving snow behind in Colorado and Kansas, with accumulation expected in the East by Wednesday. Frost and freeze watches and warnings have been issued from Texas to Virginia by the National Weather Service, the
reports, covering 87 million people....
Texas Wind Turbines
Feb 16, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Texas Wind Turbines Are Frozen
Unprecedented storm continues to take its toll
- The historic winter storm causing power outages, canceled flights , and lots of snow and ice across Texas has also frozen many wind turbines in the state. So many, in fact, that nearly half of the state's installed wind power generation capacity is offline, the
reports. The unfrozen...
In Frigid Texas,
a 'Last Resort'
Move to Save Power
Feb 15, 2021 10:40 AM CST
In Frigid Texas, a 'Last Resort' Move to Save Power
Utility begins rotating blackouts
- A winter storm dropping snow and ice also sent temperatures plunging across the southern Plains, prompting a power emergency in Texas a day after conditions canceled flights and impacted traffic across large swaths of the US. Rotating power outages were initiated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT,...
It's Snowing in Texas
Feb 15, 2021 2:21 AM CST
It's Snowing in Texas
The entire state is under a winter storm warning
- It is surprisingly cold in Texas currently, with the entire state under a winter storm warning and heavy snow coming down in many areas. CBS DFW reports a federal emergency declaration was approved for the state, after Gov. Greg Abbott declared a disaster Friday and warned residents that the entire...
It Took a Group 2 Days to
Create This Giant Snow Art
Feb 10, 2021 2:21 PM CST
It Took a Group 2 Days to Create This Giant Snow Art
Finns in snowshoes made it happen
- An ephemeral artwork made with thousands of footsteps in the snow has captured attention near Finland's capital of Helsinki. Under the guidance of local resident and amateur artist Janne Pyykko, 11 snowshoe-clad volunteers stamped a series of complex geometric patterns on a golf course. Together, the designs create a...
2 Factors May Explain
Spike in Avalanche Deaths
Feb 8, 2021 11:23 AM CST
2 Factors May Explain Spike in Avalanche Deaths
A weak snowpack, combined with more people outdoors in the pandemic
- If it seems like you've been reading about avalanches more than usual lately, you're not wrong. The US has recorded 15 fatalities in the last week, the most in a seven-day span since 1910, reports BuzzFeed . The number so far this winter is 21, two shy of last...
Very Thirsty Southwest Is
About to Get a Cool Drink
Jan 20, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Very Thirsty Southwest Is About to Get a Cool Drink
Record rainfall expected in some parts of drought-stricken California, Nevada, Arizona
- Residents in the Southwest have wished for rain for some time, and they're likely going to see that wish granted. CNN notes that 70% of the region has been suffering from severe drought—Las Vegas, for example, has only had two episodes of rain over the last 273 days....
It's the 'Worst
Storm in 80 Years'
Jan 9, 2021 5:30 AM CST
It's the 'Worst Storm in 80 Years'
Thousands are trapped in cars, airports, and train stations as blizzard buries Spain in snow
- An unusual and persistent blizzard that Madrid's mayor is calling "the worst storm in 80 years" has blanketed large parts of Spain with snow, freezing traffic and leaving thousands trapped in cars or in train stations and airports that had suspended all services as the snow kept falling...
Buried His Car in
4 Feet of Snow.
He Was Still in It
Dec 18, 2020 1:50 PM CST
A Snowplow Buried His Car in 4 Feet of Snow. He Was Still in It
A determined Sgt. Jason Crawley finally found him after 10 hours in upstate New York
- A man trapped in his car for 10 hours under almost 4 feet of snow almost didn't get found, save for the efforts of a persistent police officer.
and NBC News report that Tioga County authorities in upstate New York received a series of 911 calls Wednesday...
Big Surprise for
After Big Snow
Dec 17, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Big Surprise for Virtual Students After Big Snow
W. Va. school district cancels remote classes to let students, staff just enjoy the day
- Do you want to build a snowman? Thanks to a West Virginia school district, Anna and Elsa weren't the only ones donning their hats and gloves Wednesday to frolic in the snow after Winter Storm Gail slammed the East Coast. Jefferson County Schools could have still made kids go...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.