Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Forces Strike in Iraq
Nov 22, 2023 6:28 AM CST
US Forces Strike in Iraq
At least 5 members of Kataeb Hezbollah killed in what the military said was retaliation
- The US military struck two operations centers belonging to Iraqi Hezbollah early Wednesday in response to what it said were attacks on US bases, including the Ain al-Asad Air Base, that have escalated alongside Israel's operations against Hamas in Gaza. "We can confirm an attack last night by...
Fireworks Set Off
at Wedding Spark
Blaze That Kills 113
Sep 27, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Fireworks Set Off at Wedding Spark Blaze That Kills 113
Iraq tragedy leaves 150 people injured as well
- More than 100 people are dead after a devastating blaze that reportedly broke out after fireworks were set off at a wedding in Iraq Tuesday night. Health officials in Nineveh, the province where the wedding took place, put the death toll at 113 or 114. Another 150 people were injured,...
Iraq Bans 'Gender,'
From Use in Media
Aug 9, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Iraq Bans 'Gender,' 'Homosexuality' From Use in Media
'Sexual deviance' must be used in place of 'homosexuality'
- Iraq says all media and social media companies operating within its borders are now barred from using the terms "homosexuality" and "gender." In place of "homosexuality," the term "sexual deviance" must be used instead, Reuters reports. The new edict was issued by the Iraqi...
Protesters Try to Storm
Baghdad's Green Zone
Jul 22, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
Protesters Try to Storm Baghdad's Green Zone
Security forces stopped them from reaching Danish embassy
- Hundreds of protesters attempted to storm Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, which houses foreign embassies and the seat of Iraq's government, early Saturday following reports an ultranationalist group burned a copy of the Koran in front of Iraq's embassy in Copenhagen. Security forces pushed back protesters, who...
Storm Swedish Embassy
Jul 20, 2023 4:23 AM CDT
Iraqi Protesters Storm Swedish Embassy
Iraqi protesters denounced plans to burn Koran outside country's Stockholm embassy
- The Swedish embassy in Baghdad was stormed Thursday by hundreds of protesters angered by plans to burn a Koran outside the Iraqi embassy in Sweden. Protesters broke into the compound, which also houses the Finnish embassy, and set a small fire, the AP reports. Swedish Foreign Minister Tobias Billstrom said...
to Repeal Measure
That Green-Lit Iraq War
Mar 29, 2023 1:46 PM CDT
Senate Votes to Repeal Measure That Green-Lit Iraq War
It seeks to end 20 years of authorization for US presidents to use force in Iraq
- The Senate voted Wednesday to repeal the resolution that gave a green light for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, an effort to end more than 20 years of authorization for US presidents to use force in that country and return those war powers to Congress, reports the AP . The measure...
Still Holds Food
Feb 2, 2023 12:55 PM CST
5K-Year-Old Tavern Still Holds Food
Fish stew, anyone?
- With the exception of beer, the tavern has everything a tavern should: an open-air dining area, benches, a kitchen complete with a refrigerator and oven, even food. The catch: all of it is more than 5,000 years old. Archaeologists have announced the discovery of the buried pub in the...
Baghdad's 'Starbucks' Points
to Growing Problem in Iraq
Dec 22, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Baghdad's 'Starbucks' Points to Growing Problem in Iraq
Country is a hub for trademark violation, costing companies billions
- Everything from the signboard outside down to the napkins bears the official emblem of the top international coffee chain. But in Baghdad, looks are deceiving: The "Starbucks" in the Iraqi capital is unlicensed. Real Starbucks merchandise is imported from neighboring countries to stock the three cafes in the city,...
As Iraq Melts Down,
Borders Close, Flights Halt
Aug 30, 2022 2:07 AM CDT
As Iraq Melts Down, Borders Close, Flights Halt
The death toll has reached 20 amid unrest over resignation of influential cleric
- Iran closed its land borders to Iraq as flights to the country halted Tuesday amid violence in Baghdad following an influential Shiite cleric's announcement he would resign from politics, the AP reports. The death toll rose to 20 Iraqis on Tuesday after the unrest erupted the previous day, according...
10 Killed After
Protesters Storm Iraq's
Aug 29, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
10 Killed After Protesters Storm Iraq's Government Palace
Clashes erupt after Muqtada al-Sadr announces retirement from politics
- An influential Shiite cleric announced Monday that he would resign from Iraqi politics, prompting hundreds of his angry followers to storm the government palace and sparking clashes with security forces in which at least 10 protesters were killed. Protesters loyal to cleric Muqtada al-Sadr pulled down the cement barriers outside...
Iraq Releases Tourist
Who Took Rocks Home
Jul 31, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Iraq Releases Tourist Who Took Rocks Home
Court overturned retired geologist's conviction
: Iraq has released a British citizen imprisoned for antiquities smuggling. Jim Fitton, a retired geologist, has left the country, his family said Sunday, per the AP . An appeals court overturned the conviction and ordered him freed. Sam Tasker, his son-in-law, said Fitton landed Friday in Malaysia, where he lives,...
Jul 30, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Protesters Storm Iraqi Parliament
Cleric's followers begin sit-in, canceling legislative session
- Thousands of followers of an influential Shiite cleric breached Iraq's parliament on Saturday, for the second time this week, protesting government formation efforts led by his rivals, an alliance of Iran-backed groups. The alliance called for counterprotests, raising the specter of civil strife. Iraqi security forces initially used tear...
of the Century'
May 19, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Former president slips up during speech, condemns invasion of Iraq instead of Ukraine
- It's been awhile since we were treated to a Bushism , but the internet is once again delivering. The Hill reports that former President George W. Bush was speaking at an event in Dallas on Wednesday when he started slamming Russia's electoral system and how the country persecutes political...
Stack of 7 M&Ms
Takes the Cake
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Stack of 7 M&Ms Takes the Cake
Master balancer Ibrahim Sadeq of Iraq is latest to claim the world record
Will Cutbill had just eight and a half months to enjoy his Guinness World Record for the Tallest Stack of M&Ms at five. The Brit's achievement on Jan. 31, 2021 was the first of three times the world record would be broken in a 15-month span, per...
Iran Fires Missile Barrage
Near US Facility in Iraq
Mar 13, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Iran Fires Missile Barrage Near US Facility in Iraq
It's seen as an escalation of tension between Washington and Tehran
- Iran has claimed responsibility for a missile barrage that struck early Sunday near a sprawling US consulate complex in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil, saying it was retaliation for an Israeli strike in Syria that killed two members of its Revolutionary Guard. No injuries were reported in the attack,...
Iraq Is Done Paying
Reparations to Kuwait
Feb 10, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Iraq Is Done Paying Reparations to Kuwait
It paid out $52B over 3 decades
- Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, and its forces were ousted by 1991. In the more than 30 years since, it has been paying reparations to Kuwait, a process that has finally officially finished. The UN commission set up to review the compensation demands and obtain and pay out the money...
Saga of Looted
Comes to an End
Dec 8, 2021 12:14 PM CST
Saga of Looted Gilgamesh Tablet Comes to an End
3,500-year-old tablet bearing portion of Epic of Gilgamesh now in Baghdad
- A small clay tablet dating back 3,500 years and bearing a portion of the Epic of Gilgamesh that was looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago was formally returned to Iraq on Tuesday, following a September repatriation ceremony in Washington, DC. The AP reports the $1.7 million...
In Iraq, an Assassination
Attempt Via Armed Drone
Nov 7, 2021 5:29 AM CST
In Iraq, an Assassination Attempt Via Armed Drone
Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi is OK after assault on his home
- Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi survived an assassination attempt with an armed drone that targeted his residence early Sunday, and officials said he was unharmed. The attack in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone marks a major escalation of tensions sparked by the refusal of Iran-backed militias to accept...
Gilgamesh Dream Tablet
Is Finally Returned to Iraq
Sep 24, 2021 3:07 AM CDT
Gilgamesh Dream Tablet Is Finally Returned to Iraq
It was looted years before Hobby Lobby bought it in 2014
: A 3,500-year-old clay tablet looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago and bought by Hobby Lobby in 2014 is now officially Iraq's property again. The Gilgamesh Dream Tablet was formally returned at a repatriation ceremony at the Smithsonian Institution Thursday, CNN reports. Fareed Yasseen, Iraq's...
Biden, Iraqi Leader Announce
Change of US Mission
Jul 26, 2021 6:09 PM CDT
Biden, Iraqi Leader Announce Change of US Mission
Combat troops to be withdrawn, but nations will work together against ISIS
- President Biden said Monday the US combat mission in Iraq will conclude by the end of the year, an announcement that reflects the reality on the ground more than a major shift in US policy. Even before Biden took office, the main focus had been assisting Iraqi forces , not fighting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.