Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA
Test Made Things Worse
Jun 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA Test Made Things Worse
New evidence implicates him in another murder he'd been acquitted of 25 years ago
- DNA evidence has increasingly been used to help free persons wrongly convicted of crimes they didn't commit. In a three-decade-old case out of Florida, however, authorities say it did just the opposite and proved that a man acquitted of murder was actually the killer all along. Per the
Police: DNA Match Solves
Murder After 34 Years
May 17, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Police: DNA Match Solves Murder After 34 Years
But it won't be possible to prosecute the suspect
- Almost exactly 34 years ago—May 23, 1988—two of Lucille Hultgren's many friends stopped by her house to check on her after she didn’t show up for church, only to find her body. The 79-year-old was a recent widow and mother of two adult sons. The coroner...
30 Years Later,
in Ditch Has
Apr 14, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
30 Years Later, Female Found in Ditch Has a Name
Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr., 17, IDed thanks to DNA evidence; now it's a homicide investigation
- For three decades, the identity of a body found along an Indiana highway remained unknown, a cold case that stumped Boone County officials. Now, a name to that body, thanks to a curious sister and advances in genetic genealogy. FOX59 details the case of 17-year-old Ohioan Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr....
40 Years After Couple's Murder,
Their Baby Is Still Missing
Jan 12, 2022 10:40 AM CST
40 Years After Couple's Murder, Their Baby Is Still Missing
Female named Hollie Marie by her parents would be closing in on 42 now
- Harold Dean Clouse gathered up his wife, Tina Gail Linn, and new baby, Hollie Marie, and moved from Florida to Texas, with a promise of a well-paying job as a carpenter. "I can take better care of Tina and the baby," Clouse's mother recalls him saying. Instead,...
DNA Solves Case of Waitress
Killed in Restaurant Bathroom
Dec 10, 2021 1:19 PM CST
DNA Solves Case of Waitress Killed in Restaurant Bathroom
Danny Lamont Hamilton allegedly drowned Priscilla Lewis in 1996
- A DNA match has helped cold case investigators solve the killing of a San Francisco Bay Area waitress whose body was found in a restaurant's basement bathroom 25 years ago, authorities said Thursday. A murder charge was filed by prosecutors against prison inmate Danny Lamont Hamilton, alleging he drowned...
DNA Suggests Her 2001 Killer
Was Also a Pallbearer
Dec 6, 2021 12:34 PM CST
DNA Suggests Her 2001 Killer Was Also a Pallbearer
Investigators say David Reed beat his half sister to death with a conch shell
- After Rose Marie Moniz was found dead in a pool of blood in her New Bedford, Mass., home in March 2001, investigators determined the 41-year-old had been beaten to death with a fireplace poker, a cast-iron kettle, and a conch shell. Investigators say DNA evidence from the last item has...
For the First Time, Tree DNA
Leads to a Conviction
Nov 10, 2021 6:25 PM CST
For the First Time, Tree DNA Leads to a Conviction
Timber poacher Justin Wilke gets 20 months
- DNA evidence is now solving crimes against trees as well as crimes against people. Justin Andrew Wilke, ringleader of a group of timber poachers that operated in Washington state's Olympic National Forest, was sentenced to 20 months in federal prison earlier this week after the first federal trial to...
DNA on Beer Cans Helps
Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Nov 9, 2021 9:50 AM CST
DNA on Beer Cans Helps Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Kenneth Stough Jr. is accused of killing a convenience store manager in Orlando in 1996
- A discarded Budweiser beer can has led authorities to a man accused of stabbing a convenience store manager 73 times in 1996. Terrence Paquette, 31, was preparing to open the Lil' Champ Food Store in Orlando, Fla., before 6am on Feb. 3, 1996, when he was gruesomely attacked, per KIRO...
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
Detectives Charged With Perjury
In Wrongful Conviction Case
Aug 14, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Detectives Charged With Perjury In Wrongful Conviction Case
Three homicide detectives are accused of coercing a confession and lying about it in court
- A man who spent 25 years in prison after being wrongfully convicted of murder was set free after his second trial in 2016 cleared him. Now, a grand jury has indicted the three Philadelphia police officers who put him away in the first place and tried to keep him in...
DNA Evidence Solves Crime,
This Time With a Twist
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2021 8:31 AM CDT
DNA Evidence Solves Crime, This Time With a Twist
For the first time, tree DNA was used in a federal criminal trial
- That prosecutors used DNA evidence to convict a criminal isn't too surprising. But in this case—a first—the DNA came from a tree, reports the
. A jury in Tacoma, Wash., convicted 39-year-old Justin Wilke last week of illegal tree harvesting in Olympic National Forest, per the...
Mom Arrested in Newborn's
Death, 14 Years Later
Jul 8, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Mom Arrested in Newborn's Death, 14 Years Later
Another cold case helped along by DNA evidence in 2007 homicide in Pennsylvania
- "Baby Mary Anne" would have been 14 this year, had she not been killed as a newborn and dumped in a trash bin at a Pennsylvania YMCA. Now, justice may be around the corner, thanks to DNA evidence that has helped along yet another cold case. PennLive.com reports...
Jun 10, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
DNA Cracks 65-Year-Old 'Lovers' Lane' Double Murder
The presumed killer, Montana native Kenneth Gould, is dead
- The children of a Montana native who died almost a decade and a half ago have learned the man with no known criminal history was in fact a double murderer. It wasn't a skeleton in the closet, but rather genetic genealogy that supplied the shock. Since 1956, detectives have...
California to Review
Jun 1, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
California to Review Infamous Murder Case
Death row inmate Kevin Cooper has long maintained in his innocence in 1983 slayings of 4 people
- A wish has been granted to death row inmate Kevin Cooper, a Black man convicted of quadruple murders in 1983. California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order Friday calling for an independent investigation into the stabbing deaths of Doug and Peggy Ryen, their 10-year-old daughter Jessica, and 11-year-old neighbor...
Australia to Try to Solve
One of Its Greatest Mysteries
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Australia to Try to Solve One of Its Greatest Mysteries
Somerton Man's remains exhumed in hopes of creating a DNA profile
- Australian authorities are hoping to get to the bottom of one of the 20th century's most intriguing cold cases : that of the still-unidentified Somerton Man, a suit-clad, 40-something man who was found dead on a beach near Adelaide—possibly by poison—on the morning of Dec. 1, 1948. Now,...
DNA Ties Man
to 1995 Murder
of Bridesmaid in
May 7, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
DNA Ties Man to 1995 Murder of Bridesmaid in His Wedding
Clayton Foreman is accused of killing teacher Mary Catherine Edwards in Beaumont, Texas
- Thanks to DNA evidence, an Ohio man has been arrested and charged with murder, 26 years after a woman who served as a bridesmaid in his wedding was brutally killed in her Texas townhouse. Mary Catherine Edwards, a 31-year-old teacher who lived alone in Beaumont, was last seen on Jan....
DNA to Be
May 4, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
DNA to Be Tested Decades After Warmus' Conviction
Killer spent 27 years in prison for killing her lover's wife in 1989
- Prosecutors in New York have consented to DNA testing of evidence from the 1992 trial of so-called "Fatal Attraction" killer Carolyn Warmus, who was paroled two years ago after serving 27 years in prison for the murder of her lover's wife. Westchester County District Attorney Mimi Rocah consented...
4 Years After His Execution,
New Evidence Raises Doubt
May 4, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
4 Years After His Execution, New Evidence Raises Doubt
Profile of unknown male found at murder scene in Ledell Lee case
- Ledell Lee maintained his innocence even up to the day of his execution in Arkansas in 2017. Now, new tests on DNA evidence from the 1993 murder scene lends support to those still trying to clear his name, reports Complex :
The tests turned up the profile of an unknown male
Burglar ID'd Thanks
to Bite of Sausage
Mar 12, 2021 9:34 AM CST
Burglar ID'd Thanks to Bite of Sausage
It only took 9 years
- German police say they have solved a nine-year-old burglary after DNA found on a half-eaten piece of sausage matched that of a man detained in France over an unrelated crime, reports the AP . Police in the western town of Schwelm said Thursday that the sausage belonged to the victim, and...
DNA Solves 1999 Cold Case
Dec 13, 2020 9:55 AM CST
DNA Solves 1999 Cold Case Hospital Slaying
Cops used a public genetic genealogy database
- The 1999 murder of a 23-year-old Colorado woman whose body was found wrapped in plastic in the stairwell of the hospital where she worked has finally been solved. Per Fox News , Colorado Springs police announced Wednesday that they finally found the man who murdered Jennifer Watkins over two decades ago,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.