Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Again Search Moor
for 1964 Victim of Killers
Sep 30, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Police Again Search Moor for 1964 Victim of Killers
Author thinks he found human remains in the area
- Winnie Johnson searched for her 12-year-old son's body from 1964 until her death in 2012, sometimes digging herself in the moor where English police believe Keith Bennett was buried by his killers. A new lead has Greater Manchester police again digging in Saddleworth Moor, the
reports. Russell Edwards,...
UK Pound Falls
to Record Low,
as a 'Perfect
Sep 26, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
UK Pound Falls to Record Low, as a 'Perfect Storm' Looms
Economists warn nation's newly pledged tax cuts could help drive it straight into recession
- The British pound fell to an all-time low against the US dollar early Monday after Treasury chief Kwasi Kwarteng pledged a sweeping package of tax cuts, fueling concerns about the government's economic policy as the United Kingdom teeters toward recession. The pound fell as low as $1.0373, its...
UK Channel Showed Terrible
Film Instead of Queen's Funeral
Sep 19, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
UK Channel Showed Terrible Film Instead of Queen's Funeral
Channel 5 decided abysmally rated 'Emoji Movie' would be a good substitute for royal coverage
- Although it was expected that almost every channel in the UK would air some kind of coverage about Queen Elizabeth II on Monday, offering a look at her funeral or her life in general, EW.com notes it also "makes sense" that Channel 5 decided to opt out of...
Sep 17, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Arrests Made After 'Upsetting' Incidents in Queen's Queue
One man accused of rushing her coffin, another for sexual assault against 2 women also waiting in line
- People have been emotional enough as they queue up to catch a glimpse of the coffin of the late Queen Elizabeth II, who's lying in state at London's Westminster Hall until her funeral on Monday. Two incidents this week made things even more stressful, according to authorities. In...
How Long I've Been
Waiting to See Queen
Sep 16, 2022 12:43 PM CDT
Beckham: Guess How Long I've Been Waiting to See Queen
Soccer legend got in line at 2am, was still there 12 hours later
- David Beckham long ago proved his endurance on the pitch. Now he's showing he can make it for the long haul while queuing up for the late Queen Elizabeth II, whom the soccer legend came to see lying in state in London on Friday.
reports that the...
UK's New Health Secretary
Bans a Punctuation Mark
Sep 16, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
UK's New Health Secretary Bans a Punctuation Mark
Memo to Therese Coffey's staff asks them to avoid use of Oxford commas
- If Therese Coffey, the UK's new health secretary, saw the Twitter comment "Therese Coffey can take a running jump, give her head a wobble, and get in the bin," would she be most upset at a) the casual insult, b) the lack of substantive criticism related to...
New Details of
Sep 15, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Palace Releases New Details of Queen's Funeral
Representatives from Russia will not be among 2K guests at Westminster Abbey
- In London, Queen Elizabeth II is lying in state at Westminster Hall, and the queue of people waiting to pay their respects is currently more than 4 miles long. More than a million people are expected to file past her coffin in the coming days—but her state funeral will...
The Queen Now Lies in State,
and the Line Grows and Grows
Sep 14, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
The Queen Now Lies in State, and the Line Grows and Grows
Her coffin has been moved to Westminster, where it will remain until Monday
- The queen has left Buckingham Palace for the last time. Queen Elizabeth II's coffin was on Wednesday taken from the palace to Westminster Hall, where she will lie in state until 6:30am local time Monday, the day of her funeral. King Charles III led the procession behind the...
King Charles Has a
Slew of Housing Options
Sep 12, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
King Charles Has a Slew of Housing Options
King Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla don't have to reside at Buckingham Palace
- We know the burning question on everyone's mind this Monday morning: Where are the new king of England and his queen consort going to hunker down for the long haul? Options abound, though opinions on where the royal couple will end up vary. The Independent notes it's "...
'She Fell in Love, and She
Never Looked at Anyone Else'
Sep 9, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
'She Fell in Love, and She Never Looked at Anyone Else'
Romance between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip burned strong for 7-plus decades
- The headlines have been dominated by Queen Elizabeth after her death Thursday at the age of 96. But ever-present in the background is the person she once called her "strength and stay": husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who died in April 2021 at 99. Before his death, the...
Britain Has Chosen
Its New Prime Minister
Sep 5, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Britain Has Chosen Its New Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss chosen to lead Conservative Party over Rishi Sunak
- Britain's Conservative Party has chosen Foreign Secretary Liz Truss as the party's new leader, putting her in line to be confirmed as prime minister. Truss' selection was announced Monday in London after a leadership election in which only the 180,000 dues-paying members of the Conservative Party were...
Couple Finds Out Home Is
'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
Sep 3, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Couple Finds Out Home Is 'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
UK pair discovered 18th-century gold coins worth up to $290K under their kitchen floor
- Home renovations can be nerve-wracking: You never know what you're going to unearth underneath the old plaster and wood as you make way for the new. For a UK couple, their discovery was more shocking than most: a container filled with 18th-century coins that could end up selling at...
In Reversal, Cap for Black
Swimmers Is Approved
Sep 2, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
In Reversal, Cap for Black Swimmers Is Approved
FINA says the Soul Cap is OK after all
It's a victory for Black swimmers. FINA, aka the International Swimming Federation, has reversed its decision and now says a swimming cap designed specifically for natural Black hair can be worn at the Olympics and other top-level competitions, reports the BBC . The sport's governing body previously declared...
17 Bodies Thrown in Well
Point to Medieval Hate Crime
Aug 31, 2022 10:39 AM CDT
17 Bodies Thrown in Well Point to Medieval Hate Crime
Researchers say individuals were Jewish, perhaps killed during antisemitic riot
- Almost 20 years after the jumbled bodies of 17 men, women, and children were found at the bottom of a medieval well in Norwich, England, researchers believe they know why they were thrown in there, many of them headfirst: It was an antisemitic hate crime. In sequencing DNA preserved in...
'Do You Think
to Kill Me?'
Aug 31, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Month Before Diana's Death: 'Do You Think They're Going to Kill Me?'
Memory from a bodyguard, plus other tributes for late princess, who died in car crash 25 years ago
- Mourners are flocking to sites in Paris and London on Wednesday to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana, who died at the age of 36 in a car crash in Paris' Pont de l'Alma tunnel, along with her romantic partner, Dodi Fayed, and limo driver...
Aug 26, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Miss England Finalist Goes Makeup-Free
Melisa Raouf says she's accepted her 'imperfections'
- A finalist for the Miss England title has set herself apart by showing her true face in the competition. Melisa Raouf, 20, who has long worn makeup, made her decision after a bare-faced semifinal round Monday, CNN reports. She plans to compete the same way in the final in October....
First US Navy Destroyer
Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Aug 21, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
First US Navy Destroyer Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Tales of kindness, bravery surround 1917 sinking of USS Jacob Jones
- The first US Navy destroyer to be sunk by enemy fire—specifically a torpedo shot from a German submarine—has been discovered more than a century after ending up in a watery grave. The USS Jacob Jones was sent to the submarine-infested waters around the UK to help safeguard supply...
Deported From Turkey,
Arrested at UK Airport
Aug 11, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Deported From Turkey, Arrested at UK Airport
Aine Davis, man said to be 4th ISIS 'Beatle,' detained on terror charges in Luton
- Aine Davis, the man alleged to be the fourth Islamic State "Beatle" was deported from Turkey, then arrested Wednesday in the United Kingdom as soon as he landed. "A 38-year-old man has been charged with various terrorism offenses following an investigation by the Met's counterterrorism command,"...
Archie Battersbee Dies After
Being Taken Off Life Support
Aug 6, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Archie Battersbee Dies After Being Taken Off Life Support
Parents of 12-year-old, in coma since April, waged unsuccessful battle to keep him on life support
Archie Battersbee, the 12-year-old British boy whose parents fought to keep him on life support, has died, reports the Independent . Per Sky News , a spokeswoman for the family said Archie, who'd been in a coma since April, was taken off his medication at Royal London Hospital at 10am...
Sees Court Move
Promised a Decade Ago
Jul 29, 2022 1:39 AM CDT
England Finally Sees Court Move Promised a Decade Ago
Broadcasters hailed 'landmark' moment
- A British judge jailed a man who killed his grandfather for life Thursday in the first crown court sentencing to be televised in Britain, the AP reports. Judge Sarah Munro's remarks were the first to be broadcast live on news channels after a change in law to allow cameras...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.