Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Morgan Names Royals Who
Made Alleged Racist Comments
Nov 30, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Book says King Charles, Kate Middleton made remark on skin color of Harry, Meghan's unborn son
- More than two years ago, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, made reference during an interview with Oprah Winfrey about "concerns and conversations" with the royal family about how dark the skin of their then-unborn son Archie would be when he emerged, fueling plenty of rumors about who...
'Tyranny of the Scales'
Nov 29, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Tyranny of the Scales' Eliminated From British Gymnastics
British Gymnastics unveils new policies designed to put children's welfare first
- British gymnastics coaches can instruct their gymnasts to do many things. Step on a scale isn't one of them anymore. The BBC reports that new British Gymnastics rules prohibit "harmful" weight-management practices that it described as "on the fringes of abuse." Going forward, no child 10...
Crane Operator Praised for
Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
Nov 23, 2023 8:00 PM CST
Crane Operator Praised for Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
He saved man from top of burning building
- A crane operator played down tributes paid to him on Thursday after he lifted a man to safety from a burning high-rise building in England. Video from the scene in the town of Reading in southern England showed a man being rescued by a crane cage from the roof of...
UK Can't Send
Nov 15, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Top Court: UK Can't Send Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Supreme Court decision deals PM Rishi Sunak's policy a big blow
- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the government's contentious plan to send some migrants on a one-way trip to Rwanda is illegal, striking a major blow to a key policy of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's government that has drawn international attention and criticism. Five justices on the...
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle'
Sentenced in UK
Nov 13, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle' Sentenced in UK
Aine Davis was arrested at a UK airport after he finished a 7-year sentence in Turkey
- A man suspected of being the fourth member of the ISIS "Beatles" kidnap gang has been sentenced to eight years in prison in the UK for terror-related offenses. Aine Davis, 39, spent seven years in prison in Turkey for being a member of the extremist group and was arrested...
Terminally Ill Baby at Center
of Legal Battle Dies
Nov 13, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Terminally Ill Baby at Center of Legal Battle Dies
Indi Gregory, in midst of standoff between parents, Britain, and Italy, was taken off life support Sunday
- A terminally ill baby at the center of a legal battle involving her parents, British health officials, and the Italian government has died, a group supporting her family said Monday, reports the AP . Christian Concern said Indi Gregory died in a hospice on Monday morning after her life support was...
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed
'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Nov 10, 2023 8:44 AM CST
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed 'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Aircraft out of London with missing windows got to altitude of 14.5K feet before damage was spotted
- Twenty people are breathing a sigh of relief that their flight safely made it back to London after a startling discovery made midair. Per a report released Friday, investigators with the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch say an Airbus A321 took off on Oct. 4 from the British capital'...
2 More Arrested in Felling
of Sycamore Gap Tree
Nov 1, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
2 More Arrested in Felling of Sycamore Gap Tree
Pair of 30-something men are released on bail, but not charged yet
- Two more men have been arrested in the investigation into who cut down the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree, police in England said Wednesday. The men, whom the AP reports are both in their 30s, were released on bail Tuesday without being charged in the felling of the iconic sycamore that...
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
Oct 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
UK Team, Pittsburgh Penguins mourn Adam Johnson
- Adam Johnson, who played briefly in the NHL, was killed Saturday when the blade of a skate cut his neck during a game in England. The 29-year-old American was playing for the Nottingham Panthers in a Challenge Cup game against the Steelers, the BBC reports. The Panthers issued a statement...
Soccer Star Embodied
Oct 21, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Soccer Star Embodied Gentlemanly Greatness
Bobby Charlton survived plane crash to become beloved United, World Cup leader
- Bobby Charlton, a UK soccer icon who held Manchester United's scoring record for decades—after surviving a plane crash that killed eight teammates—and starred in England's 1966 World Cup championship, died Saturday. He was 86. Charlton not only made most lists of the sport's greatest players,...
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
Oct 17, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
This time in London for protesting Big Oil in front of an energy conference
- Greta Thunberg was detained by British police on Tuesday alongside other climate activists who gathered outside a central London hotel to disrupt a major oil and gas industry conference. As the AP reports, Thunberg was among dozens of chanting protesters who sought to block access to the luxury InterContinental hotel...
'Horrified' London Theater
Nixes Spacey Film Premiere
Oct 16, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
'Horrified' London Theater Nixes Spacey Film Premiere
Prince Charles Cinema cancels world's first showing of 'Control' due to actor's involvement
- Kevin Spacey's face never makes a showing in the upcoming thriller
, but his voice does—and that was apparently enough for a London movie theater, which has now canceled its planned world premiere of the film due to Spacey's involvement. In July, the 64-year-old actor was found...
Big Tobacco Not
Thrilled With UK
PM's Latest Push
Oct 5, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Big Tobacco Not Thrilled With UK PM's Latest Push
Rishi Sunak's plan for progressively rising smoking age would effectively bar younger generation
- If you're a British middle schooler looking forward to the day when you can wander into a Tesco and legally pick up a pack of cigarettes, you have a long wait ahead—as in forever, if Rishi Sunak's plans come to fruition. Per the AP , the UK prime...
He's the First
Jailed for Treason
in the UK in 40 Years
Oct 5, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
He's the First Jailed for Treason in the UK in 40 Years
Jaswant Singh Chail, who sought to kill the queen, will remain in a hospital for now
- A young man who plotted to assassinate members of the British royal family as revenge for a century-old massacre by British troops was handed nine years in prison Tuesday in what the BBC reports is the UK's "first treason case for 40 years." A masked Jaswant Singh...
There's Still Hope for
Iconic Tree Felled in UK
Sep 29, 2023 10:07 AM CDT
There's Still Hope for Iconic Tree Felled in UK
The stump is healthy, but sycamore will take centuries to regrow to former size, expert say
- The British are mourning one of the country's most famous trees, a centuries-old sycamore that was felled Wednesday night in what authorities have described as an appalling act of vandalism. But the Sycamore Gap tree, which grew in a gap between hills along Hadrian's Wall in northern England,...
After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sep 28, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sycamore Gap tree in Northumberland, England, is cut down, and a teen is in custody
- Authorities in northern England have arrested a 16-year-old boy who is accused of cutting down a world-famous tree, reports the BBC . The unidentified teen is being held on suspicion of criminal damage over the felling of the tree near Hadrian's Wall, a landmark from the Roman Empire, per the...
They Were Arrested at Sarah
Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Sep 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
They Were Arrested at Sarah Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Metropolitan Police to pay 'substantial damages' to 2 women who were mourning murdered UK woman
- Just days after the body of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer now serving a life sentence, was found in Kent, England, in March 2021, mourners were detained at a London vigil in her memory. Now, police there are apologizing for how two protesters in particular were treated, with...
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour
Jailbreak Has Ended
Sep 9, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour Jailbreak Has Ended
Daniel Khalife, who broke out of London prison on Wednesday, was nabbed in west end of city
- Daniel Abed Khalife has been found. Local police say the 21-year-old terror suspect, who'd escaped from London's Wandsworth prison on Wednesday by apparently strapping himself to the bottom of a food delivery van, was arrested in the Chiswick section of the city around 11am local time on Saturday,...
On Anniversary of Death, King
Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Sep 8, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
On Anniversary of Death, King Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Charles III, Queen Camilla also held prayer service for Elizabeth II near Balmoral
- Friday marks one year since the death of Queen Elizabeth II , and the royal family has circulated a never-before-released portrait of the late monarch in commemoration. "We recall with great affection her long life, devoted service, and all she meant to so many of us," King Charles III...
UK Pushing Back Hard
on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Sep 6, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
UK Pushing Back Hard on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Nation wants to deem Prigozhin-less Wagner Group a terrorist organization
- Yevgeny Prigozhin may be out of the picture , but the Wagner Group is still causing leeriness around the globe—and the United Kingdom is now set to deem it a terrorist organization. "They are terrorists, plain and simple," Home Secretary Suella Braverman said Wednesday of the Russian mercenary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.