Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 368,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Professor's 'OK Boomer' Comparison Blows Up
University of Oklahoma denounces Peter Gade's comments in class
- A University of Oklahoma journalism professor is in hot water after using the n-word in class—and claiming that the phrase "OK boomer" is comparable to the racial slur. Peter Gade , who has been on the school's faculty since 1998, is director of graduate studies at the Gaylord...
CEO Who Called Uber Driver the N-Word Booted From His Own Company
Hans Berglund, 71, says his life has been ruined by the incident
- The CEO of an Arizona-based organic fertilizer company has been booted from his own business after hurling the n-word at an Uber driver. Hans Berglund, 71, who is also the founder of Agroplasma, hailed a ride Jan. 31 and got in the front seat of the car that responded—apparently...
Coach Out After Being Accused of Slur Years Ago
Former player says Bill Peters of Calgary Flames used 'the N bomb'
- Bill Peters is no longer the coach of the Calgary Flames, after a former player accused him of using a racial slur against him a decade ago in the minor leagues. The NHL team announced Friday that Peters resigned, ESPN reports, and is no longer in the organization. Akim Aliu,...
Syracuse Faculty Member Sent Anti-Semitic Email
It's the latest in a slew of racist incidents at the school
- Syracuse University was already investigating racist graffiti and the use of a racial slur against a student; now a faculty member has been targeted. Syracuse Police, New York State Police, and the FBI are investigating an email that "contained anti-Semitic language and was threatening in nature," the school...
Meteorologist Fired for Racial Slur Sues City, Mayor
Jeremy Kappell claims defamation from the city of Rochester, NY, and Mayor Lovely Warren
- He's already sued the TV station that fired him for uttering a racial slur on the air in January; now a meteorologist has filed a lawsuit against the city of Rochester, NY, and its mayor. Per the
Democrat and Chronicle
, Jeremy Kappell is suing the city and Mayor Lovely...
Protest Greets Redskins
Demonstrators call name more hurtful than 'Braves' or 'Indians'
- Several hundred people marched Thursday to the Minneapolis stadium where the Vikings and Redskins were to play hours later in protest of Washington's team name. "We are not your mascot!" the crowd chanted as passing drivers honked their support and a drummers’ circle in the back of...
School District Reverses Firing of Security Guard Over Slur
Marlon Anderson had received 'a busload of love' from supporters
- A union official says a black security guard is getting his job back at a Wisconsin school after he was fired for repeating a racial slur while telling a student not to use it. Doug Keillor, executive director of Madison Teachers Inc., said Monday that the union was contacted by...
Cher Offers to Finance Suit by Fired School Guard
Marlon Anderson was telling a student not to use the word
- Cher says she'll cover the expense of any lawsuit a black Wisconsin high school security guard might file after he was fired for using a racial slur while telling a student not to use that word. Marlon Anderson said a disruptive student at Madison West High School used the...
She Said They Were Too Loud at Dinner, Hurled N-Word
Nancy Goodman isn't sorry for saying it at NC restaurant
- A confrontation in a North Carolina restaurant ended with a racial slur—and the woman who said it says she'd say it again. NBC News reports on Nancy Goodman, a white patron at Bonefish Grill in North Hills, who got into a verbal tiff Tuesday with three black patrons—...
Meteorologist Fired Over 'Linguistic Error' Sues Station
Jeremy Kappell says he did not intentionally utter a racial slur
- A meteorologist fired for appearing to make a racial slur on the air has sued the TV station over his dismissal. In referring to Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park in January, Jeremy Kappell seemed to say "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park." Kappell called it an accident,...
Same MLK-Tied Racial Slur, Different Newscaster
This time a St. Louis newsman is apologizing for on-air misspeak; he won't be fired, station says
- Saying Martin Luther King Jr.'s name out loud recently caused some unexpected trouble for a newscaster in upstate New York—and now, with the holiday honoring King nearly upon us, another newsman finds himself in similar hot water. The
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports that KTVI's Kevin Steincross...
MLK's Daughter Weighs In on Fired Meteorologist
Bernice King doesn't think Jeremy Kappell should've been fired for on-air racial slur
- First Al Roker came to Jeremy Kappell's defense. Now the meteorologist who was fired for saying a racial slur on air has another big name standing up for him, the AP reports: Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter. Bernice King told TMZ Thursday she doesn't think the...
Al Roker Backs Meteorologist on 'Unfortunate Flub'
'Today' weatherman says Jeremy Kappell should be given chance to apologize for racial slur
- "Anyone who has done live TV and screwed up" should be understanding of a meteorologist's use of a racial slur during a Friday broadcast, for which he was fired , according to a Wednesday tweet . The defense of former WHEC chief meteorologist Jeremy Kappell was surprising, considering its source:...
TV Station Calls It Racial Slur. He Calls It a 'Flub'
Meteorologist fired over apparent slur in reference to Martin Luther King Jr.
- A TV meteorologist has been given the boot over an apparent racial slur used on air. Jeremy Kappell, former chief meteorologist at Rochester, New York's WHEC, can be heard in video posted to social media as seeming to refer to a local park as "Martin Luther Coon King...
License Plate Spotted in Calif. Gets Hundreds Recalled in Kansas
Complaints came in about lettering offensive to Japanese-Americans
- Kansas is recalling hundreds of vehicle license plates on the streets containing "JAP" lettering in the wake of complaints that it's an ethnic slur offensive to Japanese-Americans. The Kansas Department of Revenue said there are 731 active registrations containing that random letter combination on standard license plates, per...
Man Who Had Racist Outburst: I'm Not Racist
David Mesher apologizes; Delise Gayle says no thanks
- The British man who unleashed a racist rant on a fellow airplane passenger earlier this month says he's "not a racist person by any means," the
reports. Calling the woman, who is black, an "ugly black bastard," on the Oct. 19 Ryanair flight was...
Omarosa: Trump Should Worry About Being Exposed as 'Racist'
Meanwhile, White House won't 'guarantee' n-word tape doesn't exist
- President Trump insists that the "terrible and disgusting" n-word is simply not in his vocabulary —but White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says she "can't guarantee" that recordings of him saying it will not emerge. "I can tell you that the president addressed this...
Black Woman Receives N-Word as Temporary Passcode
Erica Conway wants the NAACP to meet with the local utility provider
- A Washington woman was horrified when a recent attempt to reset a password returned a racial slur as the temporary new code in an email. "It was capital N---a," Erica Conway told KIRO . Conway, a board member with the Seattle NAACP chapter, said she subsequently called Puget Sound...
Woman Allegedly Defaced Black Neighbor's Home With N-Word, 'Hail Trump'
Toledo woman has been charged with ethnic intimidation, among other things
- A white Toledo woman was hit with charges including ethnic intimidation Monday after allegedly spray-painting "Hail Trump," "N--- keep out," and a swastika across the front of her black neighbor's home over the weekend. Patricia Edelen, 47, pleaded not guilty; she was ordered not to...
Fox News Commentator Says 'Cotton-Picking' to Black Guest
David Bossie made a racist comment while speaking to black Democratic strategist Joel Payne
- A white Fox News paid commentator who is also an outside adviser to President Trump has found himself in hot water after a tense back-and-forth with a fellow guest on "Fox & Friends" Sunday that culminated with the use of a racist slur. "You're out of your...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here Are the 9 States Resisting a Shutdown
Triathlete Was Rocking a Virtual Race. In Came Her 'Idiot' Husband
Zoom CEO: 'I Really Messed Up'
Coronavirus Hits the Lottery
Here's What Ousted Intelligence Official Has to Say About Trump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.