Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
District Probes 'Shameful
Incident' at Middle School
May 19, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
District Probes 'Shameful Incident' at Middle School
6 middle school students used giant letters to spell out racial slur
- Six Florida middle school students who used large letters to spell out a racial slur can expect the "appropriate disciplinary consequences," the district says. The Martin County School District launched an investigation after a photo appeared on social media of the male students standing outside Hidden Oaks Middle...
'One of the Most Appalling
Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Mar 15, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
'One of the Most Appalling Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Cops: 42-year-old man struck an Asian woman more than 100 times in Yonkers, NY
- An elderly Asian woman in Westchester County, NY, was brutally beaten in the vestibule of her building last week, and a fellow resident is now in custody. Police say that the 67-year-old victim passed by 42-year-old Tammel Esco as she was walking to her Yonkers home around 6pm on Friday...
Dunkin' Worker Who
Killed Customer Gets
2 Years House Arrest
Mar 8, 2022 5:32 PM CST
Dunkin' Worker Who Killed Customer Gets 2 Years House Arrest
Corey Pujols was called a racial slur by Tampa customer
: A Dunkin' employee who punched a customer, causing the man's death three days later, has been sentenced to two years of house arrest plus three years probation after pleading guilty to felony battery, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. The charge was reduced from aggravated manslaughter under a plea...
Governor, Wife Face
Tirade at Restaurant
Feb 28, 2022 5:43 PM CST
Governor, Wife Face Tirade at Restaurant
State police investigate threats, racial slurs apparently from right-wing podcaster
- What appeared to be a friendly selfie request of Nevada's governor turned into a profane, threatening situation Sunday at a Las Vegas restaurant. Nevada State Police are investigating the confrontation that began just after Gov. Steve Sisolak; his wife, Kathy; and a daughter arrived at Lindo Michoacan in Summerlin,...
Feb 17, 2022 7:02 AM CST
Howard's Lacrosse Team Greeted With Racial Slurs
Presbyterian College is investigating students' behavior ahead of Friday's game
- An investigation is underway after Howard University's women’s lacrosse team said they were subjected to racial slurs and other derogatory remarks ahead of their season debut against Presbyterian College. Howard coach Karen Healy-Silcott says the team, made up of students of color, had entered Presbyterian's Bailey Memorial...
La. Judge Resigns
Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Jan 1, 2022 6:30 AM CST
La. Judge Resigns Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Michelle Odinet had been caught on video saying n-word, comparing Black people to roaches
A Louisiana judge caught on video saying the n-word has resigned. Lafayette City Court Judge Michelle Odinet had already taken an unpaid leave of absence after the clip of her using the racial slur—recorded as she watched surveillance footage of an attempted burglary outside her home—circulated online...
'Truly Shocking Language'
Lands Woman in Jail
Dec 14, 2021 12:20 PM CST
'Truly Shocking Language' Lands Woman in Jail
Sharna Walker of England sentenced in racially aggravated assault on bouncer
- A British woman will spend Christmas behind bars after a racially charged attack on a nightclub bouncer. Widely shared video footage showed 25-year-old Sharna Walker of Worcester being kicked out of The Figure of Eight bar in Birmingham, England, on May 22. West Midlands Police said she upended furniture before...
Interior Secretary to Wipe
'Squaw' From Government Use
Nov 19, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Interior Secretary to Wipe 'Squaw' From Government Use
Deb Haaland rules the term derogatory
- Interior Secretary Deb Haaland on Friday formally declared "squaw" a derogatory term and said she is taking steps to remove it from federal government use and to replace other derogatory place names. Haaland is ordering a federal panel tasked with naming geographic places to implement procedures to eliminate what...
3 Women Charged in NYC
Restaurant Melee Over COVID
Oct 6, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
3 Women Charged in NYC Restaurant Melee Over COVID
Carmine's says there's no proof its hostess used a racial slur
Three woman who were recorded allegedly attacking a NYC restaurant hostess in a September dust-up over proof of vaccination were arraigned Tuesday on charges of third-degree assault, attempted assault, and harassment. The
New York Post
reports Sally Rechelle Lewis, 49; Kaeita Nkeenge Rankin, 44; Tyonnie Keshay Rankin, 21, could...
Guy Who Alleged
Swastikas at Tesla
Oct 5, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Guy Who Alleged Swastikas at Tesla Wins $137M
Owen Diaz said company created a hostile work environment
- Tesla has been ordered to pay a whopping $137 million to a former contract employee who sued over racist abuse he endured at the company's factory in Fremont, Calif. Elevator operator Owen Diaz said he worked at the factory for about a year up to 2016, during which fellow...
Storied Ski Resort Makes
'a Big, Big Statement'
Sep 14, 2021 8:58 AM CDT
Storied Ski Resort Makes 'a Big, Big Statement'
Squaw Valley, host of 1960 Olympics, changes name to Palisades Tahoe
- The largest ski resort at California's Lake Tahoe will no longer be known as Squaw Valley. The Olympic Valley resort cast off its 72-year-old name on Monday, unveiling its new moniker, Palisades Tahoe. The resort, a host site for the 1960 Winter Olympics, had announced an upcoming name change...
Bank Manager: Customer
'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Sep 13, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Bank Manager: Customer 'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Hispanic Army vet says customer at Wells Fargo hurled racial slur, beat him in parking lot
- The heated climate over mask mandates kicked up a notch at a Wells Fargo branch earlier this month, when a California bank manager says he was ambushed and beaten by a customer who didn't want to comply with the bank's mask rules. The bank manager, IDed only as...
Health Director Describes
Racist Taunts at Mask Meeting
Jul 29, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Health Director Describes Racist Taunts at Mask Meeting
Council member announced to crowd that Dr. Faisal Khan is not from the US
- As the crowd at a public meeting of the St. Louis County Council began taunting the local health director, he turned to council members for help. He got none. "When I asked you to intervene ... you lectured me—not them," Dr. Faisal Khan later wrote to the council'...
Billie Eilish 'Appalled'
by Old Video Clip
Jun 22, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Billie Eilish 'Appalled' by Old Video Clip
Singer apologizes for mouthing racial slur in a song lyric when she was a young teen
- "I'm being labeled something that I am not," says Billie Eilish, who says she's "appalled and embarrassed" by a years-old video clip that appears to show her mouthing a racial slur. An edited compilation video spreading online seems to show the seven-time Grammy winner mouthing...
Judge Steps Down
'All Lives Matter'
Apr 19, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Judge Steps Down After Declaring 'All Lives Matter'
Colorado's Natalie Chase earns rare public censure for opining on racial justice, using n-word on car ride
- It's exceedingly rare for a judge in Colorado to receive a public censure, but Natalie Chase just earned one, with behavior that's also now led to her leaving the bench. CBS4 reports that the Colorado Supreme Court has accepted the Arapahoe County district court judge's resignation, as...
Boy at Sleepover
Mar 10, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Family Alleges 'Racially Motivated' Attack Against Boy at Sleepover
Black 13-year-old allegedly shot at with BBs, made to drink urine, called the n-word
- School and law enforcement officials in Texas are investigating after a Black boy was allegedly called the n-word and homophobic slurs, shot with BB guns, and made to drink urine during a sleepover at a friend's house. SeMarion Humphrey, a 13-year-old eighth grader at Haggard Middle School, went to...
Figure in Hot
Feb 23, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Another Media Figure in Hot Water Over Racial Slur
Mike Pesca, host of Slate's 'The Gist' podcast, argued with co-workers on Slack about n-word
- In somewhat meta media news, the host for Slate's
podcast has been suspended indefinitely without pay after using a racial slur in a Slack conversation with co-workers about another media figure who used the racial slur. Pesca tells the
New York Times
he was suspended Monday, and...
Laughter at Film
Feb 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Co-Star 'Haunted' by Laughter at Film
In NBC News essay, Bee Vang says racial slurs in 2008 movie weren't 'harmless jokes'
- When Clint Eastwood's
hit theaters in 2008, it smashed at the box office, bringing in nearly $150 million in the US, per
. One person, however, isn't looking fondly back on the movie: Eastwood's co-star, Bee Vang, who portrayed a Hmong teen who befriends Eastwood'...
Feb 16, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Race Flap Isn't Hurting Sales for Morgan Wallen
Singer's new album tops the charts even after stations pulled him, and an older one is climbing
- Three weeks into Morgan Wallen's run atop the album charts, the country singer was caught on video using a racial slur . In response, radio stations and streaming playlists dropped his music. His recording company suspended him, and the Academy of Country Music said Wallen is not welcome at this...
Morgan Wallen’s Sales
Skyrocket After Racial Slur
Feb 6, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Morgan Wallen’s Sales Skyrocket After Racial Slur
While the industry sanctions singer, fans download his music
- After Morgan Wallen was caught on video using a racial slur, the country music star's professional world seemed to come crashing down. Radio stations quit playing his music , his recording contract was suspended, and the Academy of Country Music announced he won't be part of this year's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.