Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Louisville Police Seeking
Man Who Punched Mayor
Jun 21, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Louisville Police Seeking Man Who Punched Mayor
Greg Fischer was assaulted at a public event over the weekend
- Police are searching for a different kind of Louisville slugger after a suspect was captured on video punching the mayor of Kentucky's largest city on Saturday. Greg Fischer was mingling in a crowd at a Juneteenth event at the Fourth Street Live! entertainment complex when a man walked up...
Rival Has Most
Ad of 2022
Jun 3, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Rand Paul Rival Has Most Controversial Ad of 2022
Charles Booker wears a noose to criticize Kentucky Senate incumbent
- It's a political ad that begins with a content warning. And the reason soon becomes clear in the controversial spot unveiled this week by Rand Paul challenger Charles Booker in Kentucky. Booker, who is Black, wears a noose and describes Paul as "the person who singlehandedly blocked an...
Doctor Used 'Flower Delivery' as
Code for Hit on Her Ex: Cops
Jun 1, 2022 2:15 AM CDT
Doctor Used 'Flower Delivery' as Code for Hit on Her Ex: Cops
Dr. Stephanie Russell of Kentucky is currently jailed
- A Kentucky pediatrician is accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill her ex-husband for $7,000. Authorities say Dr. Stephanie Russell, upset her ex had won custody of their kids, spoke to people who had connections to her medical practice about her idea, and one (who worked...
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Override Veto of Abortion Ban
Apr 14, 2022 4:40 AM CDT
Kentucky Lawmakers Override Veto of Abortion Ban
Activists say measure will force state's only 2 abortion clinics to close
- New abortion restrictions passed by Republican lawmakers over the Democratic governor's veto will force the only two abortion clinics in Kentucky to stop providing the procedures for women, at least temporarily, while the new law is challenged in court, abortion-rights activists said Wednesday. The law will draw immediate federal...
Body of Missing Girl
in Kentucky Is Discovered
Feb 21, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Body of Missing Girl in Kentucky Is Discovered
Mother, boyfriend charged in death of 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney
A sad end to the long search for 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney in Kentucky—authorities have found her body in a wooded area, reports WAVE . Serenity was last seen alive on Christmas Eve of 2020. Her mother, 21-year-old Catherine McKinney of Shepherdsville, and her mother's boyfriend, 26-year-old Dakota...
After Alleged Attacker
Freed, Candidate Says
System Is 'Broken'
Feb 18, 2022 8:30 AM CST
After Alleged Attacker Freed, Candidate Says System Is 'Broken'
Fund co-founded by BLM put up $100K bail after shooting at Craig Greenberg's office
- A Democratic candidate for mayor of Louisville says the fact that the man charged with trying to kill him on Monday was able to walk out of jail on Wednesday shows that "our criminal justice system is clearly broken." Social activist Quintez Brown, 21, was released Wednesday after...
Killer Pardoned by Governor
Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Jan 19, 2022 1:45 AM CST
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Patrick Baker gets 42 years
The man pardoned by Kentucky's former governor for a 2014 murder is going back to prison for 42 years for the same murder. Patrick Baker, who was prosecuted the second time in federal court under the "dual sovereignty doctrine" since his first conviction was in state court,...
Office Cat Found in Rubble
9 Days After Tornado
Dec 23, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Office Cat Found in Rubble 9 Days After Tornado
'If cats actually have nine lives, he probably used up about eight of them'
- Nine days after a tornado demolished his three-story office building in downtown Mayfield, Kentucky, Sonny "Hoot" Gibson was standing in the rubble when he thought he heard a faint meow. It instantly gave him hope that his office cat, Madix, who hadn't been seen since before the storms...
Workers at Candle Factory
Sue Employer After Tornado
Dec 16, 2021 12:57 PM CST
Workers at Candle Factory Sue Employer After Tornado
They accuse Mayfield company in Kentucky of refusing to let them leave before storm
Employees of a candle factory in Kentucky that was decimated by a tornado over the weekend are suing their employer. The workers accuse Mayfield Consumer Products of endangering their lives by refusing to let them go home as the storm approached, reports the AP . The company denies the allegation....
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit
Dec 15, 2021 5:53 PM CST
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit Kentucky Towns
He pledges to do 'whatever it takes' to support the state
- President Biden pledged Wednesday pledged to do “whatever it takes, as long as it takes” to help Kentucky and other states after a series of deadly tornadoes that he said left a trail of unimaginable devastation. "You will recover and rebuild," he said. "The scope and...
Not as Many as Feared
Dead in Candle Factory
Dec 13, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Kentucky Tornado: Not as Many as Feared Dead in Candle Factory
Governor confirms 64 deaths statewide as of Monday morning
As of Monday morning, Kentucky has confirmed 64 deaths from the weekend's tornadoes. Gov. Andy Beshear said that "undoubtedly there will be more," per CNN , perhaps as many as 80. He added that 105 residents of the state remain unaccounted for. Some of the fatalities occurred...
Tornado May Have Broken
Dec 12, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Tornado May Have Broken World Record
Meanwhile, candle factory survivors would be 'miracle'
- Saturday's devastating Kentucky tornado carved an over 200-mile track that could rival the longest on record as the stormfront smashed apart a candle factory, crushed a nursing home and flattened an Amazon distribution center, all while killing upwards of 70 people.
The longest tornado on record tracked for
Dec 11, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Tornado Survivors Describe Destruction
Rescuers, including inmates, search for survivors as families await word
- Crews were digging through rubble Saturday for survivors after powerful storms and tornadoes tore through six states. The death toll was rising, the
New York Times
reports. Gov. Andy Beshear said that at least 70 people were killed in Kentucky and that the final count could top 100. In Mayfield,...
Dozens Feared Dead
in US Tornadoes
Dec 11, 2021 5:32 AM CST
Dozens Feared Dead in US Tornadoes
Governor in Kentucky says toll may reach 100
- Tornadoes were reported in five states on Friday, and the toll in Kentucky appears to be catastrophic. There, Gov. Andy Beshear tells WLKY that at least 50 people are dead. The other states reporting storms were Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri, and Tennessee, per CNN .
"We believe our death toll from
Dec 9, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Basketball Fight Lands Sheriff in Jail
Trooper says Brent Lynch, who's also a coach, hit a member of the other girls team
- A Kentucky sheriff is jailed and four players are suspended from competition after a fight broke out during a girls high school basketball game. A state trooper said Brent Lynch, the elected Owsley County sheriff who doubles as a coach at Owsley County High School, rushed onto the court and...
Police: Missing Girl's
Hand Signal Saved Her
Nov 6, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Police: Missing Girl's Hand Signal Saved Her
16-year-old got help from passing motorist, and police arrested her driver
- A teenage girl used a hand signal popularized on TikTok to signal for help. The 16-year-old from North Carolina had been missing for days when she was rescued Thursday,
reports. James Herbert Brick, 61, of Cherokee, North Carolina, was arrested in Laurel County, Kentucky, and charged with unlawful...
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies
in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Nov 2, 2021 6:06 PM CDT
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Churchill Downs calls Miguel Mena's death 'shocking, terrible, and heartbreaking'
- Successful, well-liked jockey Miguel Mena was killed in what police are calling a "pedestrian" accident in Louisville six days before his 35th birthday—and his friends are trying to figure out why. Mena's agent, Tim Hanisch, tells the
that Mena was on his way home in...
One Adult Getting a Lap Dance
at School Was the Principal
Oct 27, 2021 5:14 PM CDT
One Adult Getting a Lap Dance at School Was the Principal
District investigates homecoming event that included Hooters costumes
- "Um. Exactly what is going on here, y'all?" a tweet by the co-founder of a local education advocacy group asked. What appeared to be going on in the photos posted by Nema Brewer was high school students in Kentucky giving lap dances to faculty and staff members. One...
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Firm Parts With Lawyers Who Won Gun Case
This Is the Healthiest County in America
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.