Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cannes Film Festival
Stories 1 - 20 |
Johnny Depp Has
No 'Further Need
May 17, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Johnny Depp Has No 'Further Need for Hollywood'
Actor doesn't mince words at press conference in Cannes
- Appearing at the Cannes Film Festival the day after premiering his first film in three years, Johnny Depp said Wednesday that he has "no further need for Hollywood." The AP reports Depp made a rare public appearance to face questions from the press following the opening-night premiere of...
May 29, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
Woody Harrelson Film Takes Top Prize at Cannes
Satire 'Triangle Sadness' is directed by Ruben Ostlund
- Swedish director Ruben Ostlund’s class warfare comedy
Triangle of Sadness
won the Palme d’Or at the 75th Cannes Film Festival on Saturday, giving Ostlund one of cinema’s most prestigious prizes for the second time, per the AP . The movie features Woody Harrelson as a Marxist yacht captain...
May 24, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
'Triangle of Sadness' satire wows, and maybe shocks a little, during screening
- Tom Cruise's
sequel wowed the crowd at Cannes. Woody Harrelson's latest movie appears to have one-upped it there, reports
. The outlet describes an "uproarious eight-minute standing ovation" after the screening of
Triangle of Sadness
. The film from Sweden's Ruben Ostlund is described as...
Topless Anti-Russia Protester
May 20, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Topless Anti-Russia Protester Crashes Cannes
Woman accuses Russian soldiers of rape
- A woman who stripped off her clothes to reveal a message against rape by Russian soldiers crashed the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday. The unidentified woman tore off her clothes to reveal the message “Stop raping us” written across her torso next to the blue...
Blow Away Cannes
May 19, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Sequel, Cruise Blow Away Cannes
Star unexpectedly receives Palme d'Or, movie fest's most esteemed prize, for 'Top Gun: Maverick'
- Early buzz on the
sequel has been astoundingly good , and that only continued this week at the Cannes Film Festival, where the movie received a five-minute standing ovation, and star Tom Cruise was handed a surprise Palme d'Or, the festival's most esteemed prize. Deadline reports that...
Spike Lee Accidentally
Spoils Cannes Awards Show
Jul 18, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
Spike Lee Accidentally Spoils Cannes Awards Show
Director revealed top prize at the start of the ceremony
- For anyone anxious to know who took top prize at the year's Cannes Film Festival, Spike Lee is your man. Those more partial to suspense may have been less than thrilled, though, as the director and jury president accidentally revealed the Palme d’Or winner at the top of...
Cannes Film Fest Is
Back, With a Big First
Jul 5, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Cannes Film Fest Is Back, With a Big First
Spike Lee will be first Black person to head jury for the festival, starting Tuesday
- For the past 16 months, the Palais des Festivals, the central hub of the Cannes Film Festival, has been lined with hospital beds and even turned into a mass-vaccination site after the film fest was postponed last year, then canceled due to the pandemic. On Tuesday, the film fest, delayed...
More Big Events
Mar 19, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
Pandemic Delays More Big Events
Cannes, Invictus Games are postponed
- Two more major international events have been postponed: the Cannes Film Festival and the Invictus Games, Prince Harry's athletic competition for wounded veterans and military personnel. The film festival, which was scheduled for May on the French Riviera, could be held in late June or early July. Organizers were...
With New Gig
Jan 14, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Spike Lee Makes History With New Gig
He'll be first black filmmaker to head Cannes jury
- Spike Lee will become the first black filmmaker to head the Cannes Film Festival jury this spring. "I'm honored to be the first person of the African diaspora (USA) to be named president of the Cannes jury and of a main film festival," which happens to be...
Cannes Sees a
Little Extra Drama
May 21, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
Cannes Sees a Little Extra Drama
Juror Elle Fanning faints, falls out of her chair at a dinner Monday night
- A certain time of the month and a tight dress do not a good combination make, as Elle Fanning apparently learned Monday. The 21-year-old actress and youngest juror in the history of the Cannes Film Festival fainted Monday at the Chopard Trophee dinner, where actors Francois Civil and Florence Pugh...
Cannes Goes Wild
for Elton John Biopic
May 17, 2019 2:33 AM CDT
Cannes Goes Wild for Elton John Biopic
Singer, star perform duet at after-party
- Elton John biopic
blasted off at the Cannes Film Festival Thursday night, receiving a standing ovation that brought star Taron Egerton and director Dexter Fletcher to tears, AFP reports. Sir Elton himself could be seen wiping away a tear as lights went down for the world premiere of the...
As Cannes Kicks Off,
Jury President Targets
May 15, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
As Cannes Kicks Off, Jury President Targets Trump, Netflix
'The world is melting and these guys are basically ruling with rage and anger and lies'
- The 72nd Cannes Film Festival kicked off Tuesday—and jury president Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu had more on his mind than entertainment. The Mexican director slammed populist leaders like President Trump and warned that "ignorance" on issues like immigration could lead to another world war, the BBC reports. "...
Turbulent Cannes Takes a Bow
May 20, 2018 5:37 AM CDT
Turbulent Cannes Takes a Bow
Spike Lee takes home grand prize, while 'Shoplifters' wins Palme d'Or
- A tumultuous Cannes Film Festival concluded Saturday with the Palme d'Or awarded to Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda's
a tender portrait of a poor, impoverished family, while Harvey Weinstein accuser Asia Argento vowed justice will come to all sexual predators. At the closing ceremony, the Cate Blanchett-led jury...
Whitney Houston Documentary
Spills Shocking Family Secret
May 17, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Whitney Houston Documentary Spills Shocking Family Secret
Relatives say she was abused by famous cousin
- Whitney Houston was a victim of sexual abuse as a child and she took that secret with her to her grave at age 48, family members reveal in a documentary that premiered at the Cannes festival Wednesday. In
, half-brother Gary Garland says he was abused when he was young...
on Red Carpet
May 15, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Kristen Stewart Ditches Heels on Red Carpet
Actress bucks convention at Cannes
- Kristen Stewart made a statement at Cannes on Monday under the gaze of photographers on the red carpet. The 28-year-old ditched her Louboutin heels and walked into the premiere of Spike Lee's
in her bare feet, reports
. Stewart has previously complained about the expectation that actresses...
More Than 100 Walk Out of
Shocking Cannes Premiere
May 15, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
More Than 100 Walk Out of Shocking Cannes Premiere
Matt Dillon plays serial killer in von Trier's latest
- Lars von Trier is back at the Cannes film festival, seven years after he was banned for declaring he was a Nazi —and the Danish director is as controversial as ever. His new serial-killer drama,
The House That Jack Built
, prompted more than 100 people to walk out of...
82 Women Will Walk
Cannes Red Carpet
in Silent Protest
May 12, 2018 8:45 AM CDT
82 Women Will Walk Cannes Red Carpet in Silent Protest
The number is a significant one
- Eighty-two women are set to walk the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday, and it's a meaningful figure. The number 82 corresponds with the number of films directed by women to ever play in the festival's prestigious Palme d'Or competition over its 71 years—...
Apr 27, 2018 2:35 PM CDT
Kenya Bans 1st Cannes Film Over 'Lesbianism'
Director Wanuri Kahiu ran afoul of her nation's laws on homosexuality
- Kenya has banned its first feature film to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival, accusing it of having "clear intent to promote lesbianism in Kenya contrary to the law," reports the AP . Director Wanuri Kahiu says she is "incredibly sorry" to confirm the ban of
Netflix Gives Cannes Film
Festival the Cold Shoulder
Apr 11, 2018 5:15 PM CDT
Netflix Gives Cannes Film Festival the Cold Shoulder
The streaming giant has a bone to pick with the prestigious film festival
- Netflix is pulling its films from the Cannes Film Festival, further intensifying an ongoing dispute between Netflix and the world's most prestigious film festival. Along with selfies , Cannes earlier banned any films without theatrical distribution in France from its Palme d'Or competition, which essentially rules out Netflix movies....
Cannes Bans 'Grotesque'
Apr 4, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Cannes Bans 'Grotesque' Red-Carpet Practice
Selfie-takers won't be allowed in to see films
- Want to take a selfie on the red carpet during the Cannes Film Festival? Well, you can't. That's the message from top festival official Thierry Fremaux, who says red-carpet selfies will be banned at this year's star-studded event, the AP reports. Violators, he said on Europe 1...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.