Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Since Uvalde, the US Has Had
at Least 14 Mass Shootings
May 31, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Since Uvalde, the US Has Had at Least 14 Mass Shootings
11 of them over Memorial Day weekend
- Despite the horror and grief over the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, and the rampage at a Buffalo, New York, grocery store before it, gun violence in the US has not diminished in the week since Uvalde. As of Monday, there had been at least 14...
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
Ted Cruz Interview
on Uvalde Doesn't
Go Too Well
May 27, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
Texas senator storms off after UK reporter asks him why America has so many mass shootings
- Politicians are making the rounds to express their thoughts on Tuesday's mass shooting in Texas that left 21 dead, but Ted Cruz's most recent interview didn't go exactly as planned, at least not from his perspective. After a vigil for the victims on Wednesday, the GOP senator,...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
May 25, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
McConaughey Speaks on Hometown Mass Shooting
'We have tragically proven that we are failing to be responsible,' actor says of Uvalde tragedy
- Uvalde's most famous native son is speaking out about the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School, and he's imploring the nation to "do better." Matthew McConaughey, who was born in the Texas town where at least 21 people died Tuesday afternoon, called on Americans to "...
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
11-Year-Old Walking With
Her Family Shot in Bronx
May 17, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Walking With Her Family Shot in Bronx
Girl was shot as 2 people on a motorized scooter chased a man running down the sidewalk
- A "senseless" shooting has claimed the life of an 11-year-old girl in New York City after a stray bullet hit her during a chase among strangers. CBS New York reports on the Monday afternoon shooting, which took place in the Longwood neighborhood of the Bronx around 5pm as the...
Official: Suspect Had Plans
'to Shoot More Black People'
May 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Official: Suspect Had Plans 'to Shoot More Black People'
Possibly at 'another large superstore' in Buffalo, per the city's police commissioner
- As more details trickle out on the victims of Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, NY, more on the alleged gunman is also emerging, including a chilling glimpse at what he'd possibly planned to do if he hadn't been stopped. Joseph Gramaglia, the city's police commissioner, told...
CDC Report on Gun Homicides
Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
May 11, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
CDC Report on Gun Homicides Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
First year of pandemic saw a 35% rise in firearm murders from the previous year, per new report
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on a variety of fronts, and gun violence hasn't escaped its path. According to a new report from the CDC, the firearm homicide rate in 2020 reached its highest rate since 1994, increasing nearly 35% from the previous year, reports Axios . "That's...
American Drivers Are Shooting
Each Other at Alarming Rates
Apr 17, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
American Drivers Are Shooting Each Other at Alarming Rates
A US motorist is killed or wounded by gunfire every 17 hours, says advocacy group
- Texas isn’t the only place in America where road rage incidents involving gunfire have reached alarming levels, but the state seems to have more than its fair share, reports the
New York Times
. In Houston, to cite an example that made national headlines, a 17-year-old was killed as he...
6 Teens Charged With
Murder in Iowa Shooting
Mar 8, 2022 9:20 AM CST
6 Teens Charged With Murder in Iowa Shooting
15-year-old boy was killed in Des Moines, and 2 others were wounded
Six teens have been charged with murder in Monday's fatal shooting outside a Des Moines high school, reports the
Des Moines Register
. Police didn't indicate a motive, but they say the 15-year-old boy killed in the drive-by shooting was the intended target. Two young women, ages 16...
Survivors Protest at
White House, Slam Biden
Feb 15, 2022 2:04 AM CST
Parkland Families, Survivors Protest at White House, Slam Biden
Father of one victim arrested after scaling crane
- Four years after 17 students and others were gunned down at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., families and gun control advocates pressed President Biden on Monday to do more to address gun violence. Protesters demonstrated near the White House, and the father of one teenager killed at the...
5 Officers Shot, 4 More
Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
Feb 11, 2022 2:54 PM CST
5 Officers Shot, 4 More Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
All are expected to survive in Phoenix; gunman is dead, a woman is critically injured
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
A man ambushed a police officer who responded to a call at a Phoenix home early Friday, shooting him several times, then rained more gunfire on other officers who tried to rescue a baby that was placed outside the door....
In This City, a US First
on Gun Ownership
Jan 26, 2022 8:22 AM CST
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
City Council in San Jose, Calif., votes to require gun owners to pay fee, carry liability insurance
- Gun owners in San Jose will soon need to pony up more cash than the cost of the firearm itself. An ordinance has passed in the California city that would require individuals with guns in their possession to pay a $25 annual fee for the privilege, as well as to...
Man Who Killed Rookie
NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jan 25, 2022 12:51 AM CST
Man Who Killed Rookie NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jason Rivera, 22, killed while responding to domestic incident; another officer critically hurt
The man who shot and killed an NYPD officer Friday has died. The suspect, Lashawn McNeil, was shot during the incident by one of the three NYPD officers who responded to a domestic violence call in Harlem, and McNeil died of his injuries Monday, the AP reports. The third...
'Chaos' at Friday Night
Concert After Mass Shooting
Jan 15, 2022 10:00 AM CST
'Chaos' at Friday Night Concert After Mass Shooting
6 hospitalized, with one person in critical condition, after shooting at event hall in Eugene, Ore.
- Six people were shot during a concert at an event hall in Oregon on Friday night, and the suspected shooter wasn't yet in custody as of 8am local time Saturday, police said. Officers responded to the WOW Hall in Eugene after reports of a shooting around 9:30pm, police...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Are Making a Big Ask
Dec 23, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Are Making a Big Ask
James, Jennifer Crumbley say they're 'devastated' about shooting, want bail lowered
- The parents of a teenager charged with killing four students at a Michigan high school didn't anticipate he would commit violence and are "devastated" like others in the community, a lawyer said Wednesday in requesting they be granted a lower bond. James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with...
May Be Latest
Victim of Femicide
Dec 17, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Mexican Singer May Be Latest Victim of Femicide
Tania Mendoza shot dead Tuesday at son's soccer practice
- A Mexican singer and actress was fatally shot Tuesday evening while waiting to pick up her 11-year-old son from soccer practice. Tania Mendoza was waiting with other parents outside a sporting complex in Cuernavaca, Morelos state, when two armed men arrived on a motorbike, per the BBC . One stepped off...
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
7 Hurt After Black Friday
Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
Nov 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
7 Hurt After Black Friday Mall Shootings in NC, Tacoma
And in Tennessee, 3 are dead, 4 wounded after mass shooting in Nashville apartment
- A trio of shootings across the US left three dead and nearly a dozen injured on Black Friday. NBC News reports that the three fatalities happened at an apartment in Nashville, Tenn., in an incident that also left four injured. Per WKRN , police responded to the shooting that took place...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.