Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Billionaire 2024 Hopeful:
Donate $1, Get $20
Jul 11, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Billionaire 2024 Hopeful: Donate $1, Get $20
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum hopes pricey strategy will land him a spot in GOP debate
- Donate as little as $1 to the presidential campaign of North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and you'll be rewarded with a $20 gift card. It's all part of what Politico reports is "a bold and expensive" fundraising strategy Burgum hopes will get him a spot on the...
Donors Quickly Respond
to Trump Indictment
Apr 2, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Donors Quickly Respond to Trump Indictment
Campaign collected more than $4M in the first 24 hours after indictment was reported
- Donald Trump's presidential campaign had been preparing for his indictment , and the work paid off. More than $4 million in donations poured in over the first 24 hours after the news broke, Axios reports. And another $1 million came in over the next 24 hours. Fundraising pitches began before...
'You Need to
Help This Man'
Mar 31, 2023 10:44 AM CDT
Graham to Trump Devotees: 'You Need to Help This Man'
After indictment news, senator makes emotional plea for Trump fans to 'fight this bull----' with cash
- On Thursday, there was plenty of reaction circulating on the indictment of former President Trump , including emotional responses from his two oldest sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump . That same evening, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina also gave an impassioned speech in support of the former president,...
Feb 6, 2023 4:37 PM CST
FTX Would Like Its Donations Back, Please
Vaporized crypto exchange wants something on the order of $93M returned by Feb. 28
- In the election cycle just past, then-wunderkind crypto gazillionaire Sam Bankman-Fried and his FTX cronies opened up their wallets and showered candidates with cash in what CoinDesk calls "a monumental influence campaign that crossed party lines." Now that FTX is bankrupt, and SBF's wallet is pretty much...
This May Be
Aug 22, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
This May Be the Biggest Political Donation Ever
'NYT' reports on $1.6B from conservative businessman Barre Seid to new nonprofit
New York Times
is reporting on what appears to be a record-setting political donation in the US, though the principals involved aren't exactly household names. The story by Kenneth P. Vogel and Shane Goldmacher reports that Barre Seid—a mogul who made his fortune in electronics manufacturing—donated...
Eli Lilly Faces
Aug 10, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Eli Lilly Faces Questions Over Abortion Stance
Company donated to Indiana legislators behind the restrictions
- Eli Lilly's suggestion that it will reconsider adding employees in Indiana in light of its new, nearly total restrictions on abortions might have seemed like it would encourage opponents of the law—one of the state's largest employers exerting leverage on behalf of its position. But the response...
Cheney Campaign Telling
Democrats How to Vote for Her
Jul 10, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Cheney Campaign Telling Democrats How to Vote for Her
It may not be enough in next month's GOP primary in Wyoming
- Can Democrats save Liz Cheney's job? The
New York Times
reports that the Wyoming Republican is drawing donations from prominent Democratic donors ahead of next month's GOP primary against a tough challenger. Cheney, of course, is one of the highest-profile politicians in the US at the moment thanks...
Gets 20 Months
Jun 29, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Giuliani Ally Gets 20 Months
Fraud was 'a way of life' for Lev Parnas
: Lev Parnas, an associate of Rudy Giuliani who was a figure in former President Donald Trump's first impeachment investigation, was sentenced Wednesday to a year and eight months in prison for fraud and campaign finance crimes by a judge who said fraud had become “a way of...
Toyota Flops on Certification,
Won't Donate to 'No' Voters
Jul 8, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Toyota Flops on Certification, Won't Donate to 'No' Voters
Automaker says it heard from customers
- Toyota has reversed itself and now says its political action committee will no longer contribute to the Republican lawmakers who voted against certifying Joe Biden's presidential election victory. The move by the Japanese automaker comes after a social media backlash over the contributions, including threats to stop buying the...
This May Be an 'Epiphany'
for Corporate America
Jan 12, 2021 8:44 AM CST
This May Be an 'Epiphany' for Corporate America
Businesses are halting political donations, but the big question is whether it's just a blip
- "Just a few days ago, this would have been unthinkable." That's the assessment of Judd Legum, author of the Popular Information political newsletter, as relayed to David Leonhardt of the
New York Times
. He's referring to the unprecedented wave of big corporations that have halted political...
Donors Cut Off
Jan 11, 2021 5:01 PM CST
Corporate Donors Cut Off Lawmakers Who Opposed Certification
Hallmark wants Hawley to return its money
- Major companies and their political action committees are voting with their checkbooks against the members of Congress who voted against certifying President-elect Joe Biden's victory last week—the issue that inspired the attack on the Capitol. On Monday, several companies said they'll no longer donate to the 147...
CEO to Take
Jun 17, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Redirected in NY
Jun 2, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Police PAC Donations Get Redirected in NY
Democrats are giving campaign contributions to bail funds
- "It's time to draw a CLEAR line in the sand," New York State assemblywoman Aravella Simotas tweeted Saturday, announcing she would redirect $5,350 in campaign contributions from police-affiliated groups to a New York City bail fund, as well as to groups working to "help New...
Apr 23, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Biden to Louis CK: Here's Your $2.8K Back
Donation from disgraced comedian to Biden's presidential campaign is refunded
- Joe Biden doesn't want Louis CK's money, thank you very much. A spokesman for the former vice president's presidential campaign said Wednesday that a $2,800 donation from the comedian, made on March 4, had been refunded, per the AP . Like Biden , Louis CK has faced allegations...
Wall Street Picks
a 2020 Favorite
Dec 21, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Wall Street Picks a 2020 Favorite
As you can guess, it isn't Elizabeth Warren
- The financial sector, blamed by progressives for spawning the 2008 economic collapse, is lining up behind Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign. The mayor of South Bend, Indiana, has collected more campaign cash from donors and political action committees tied to the financial, insurance, and real estate sector than any other...
8 Accused of Conspiracy
Around Clinton Donations
Dec 4, 2019 6:30 PM CST
8 Accused of Conspiracy Around Clinton Donations
Lebanese-American businessman George Nader is back in the news
- The Justice Department on Tuesday charged eight people—including a prominent political donor to both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump and a Lebanese-American businessman who was a witness in Robert Mueller’s investigation—with conspiring to conceal the source of more than $3.5 million in donations to Clinton, the...
Trump Inaugural Ball's
Money Has Vanished
Apr 13, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Trump Inaugural Ball's Money Has Vanished
The Asian American event falls under scrutiny
- A Trump inaugural ball with connections to China attracted thousands of dollars in donations that have since vanished, the
Palm Beach Post
reports. The Asian Pacific American Presidential Inaugural Gala—a lavish event that included live entertainment and buffet-style dinner—charged $75 or more per ticket and drew over 900...
'Beyond Surprising': Beto
Breaks Fundraising Records
Oct 12, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
'Beyond Surprising': Beto Breaks Fundraising Records
He raises $31.8M in 3 months in tight race against Ted Cruz
- Small-dollar donations have been the hallmark of the campaign of US Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke, who hasn't accepted PAC money in his attempt to grab Ted Cruz's Texas Senate seat. But like snowflakes that form an avalanche, all those more modest donations have converged to become what...
Pouring In to Trump
Apr 16, 2018 6:47 AM CDT
Campaign Donations Pouring In to Trump
Aggressive fundraising pulls in $20M in first quarter, with one-fifth going to legal fees
- President Trump filed for reelection almost immediately upon assuming office, and new filings reflect the aggressive approach: The president's campaign and two affiliated fundraising committees pulled in about $20 million in the first quarter, reports Politico . That's an unusually high amount for a sitting president this early in...
Gets Most of Her
Mar 4, 2018 3:08 PM CST
Texas Candidate Gets Most of Her Donations in Semen
Ana Lisa Garza gets the support of deer breeders
- A candidate running for the Texas state legislature is garnering attention over her campaign donations—most of which consist of frozen deer semen, the
reports. Ana Lisa Garza has received $87,500 for her gutsy run against eight-term Democrat Ryan Guillen, $51,000 of which are listed as in-kind...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.