Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert
Was Earthquake-Level Intense
May 3, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert Was Earthquake-Level Intense
Louisiana seismograph actually registered a temblor during 'Callin' Baton Rouge'
- The thunder wasn't rolling, but the earth was shaking at a Garth Brooks concert over the weekend, at least according to a campus seismograph. The
Biloxi Sun Herald
reports that on Saturday evening, at Louisiana State University's Tiger Stadium, the din of the crowd was "deafening,"...
The Pacific Northwest Isn't
Ready for This Tsunami
Feb 13, 2022 3:00 PM CST
The Pacific Northwest Isn't Ready for This Tsunami
The evacuation options just aren't there for tens of thousands of people
- "It’s going to dwarf the scale of any disaster we have ever had. We know it’s coming." So Chris Goldfinger of Oregon State University tells the
New York Times
. He's talking about a massive—think magnitude 9.0—quake along the Cascadia fault off the...
6.2 Quake Hits
Off California Coast
Dec 20, 2021 4:55 PM CST
6.2 Quake Hits Off California Coast
Shaking was felt hundreds of miles away, but no tsunami warning was issued
- A powerful 6.2 magnitude earthquake quake shook northern California Monday afternoon, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or major damage. The United States Geological Survey said the quake was centered in the ocean around 24 miles west of Petrolia and 44 miles southwest of Eureka, KTLA reports....
Quake Interrupts Ardern
Oct 22, 2021 11:54 AM CDT
Quake Interrupts Ardern Press Conference
'Sorry, a slight distraction,' says New Zealand prime minister
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern had to ask a reporter to repeat a question at a press conference Friday because she had been somewhat distracted by a 5.9-magnitude earthquake. Video from the Wellington press conference shows the prime minister gripping the podium before smiling and saying, "Sorry,...
At Least 20 Dead
After Quake Collapses
Homes, Coal Mine
Oct 7, 2021 4:13 AM CDT
At Least 20 Dead After Quake Collapses Homes, Coal Mine
Authorities in Pakistan fear toll will rise sharply
- A powerful earthquake collapsed at least one coal mine and dozens of mud houses in southwest Pakistan early Thursday, killing at least 20 people and injuring more than 200, an official said. The death toll was expected to rise even further as crews searched in the remote mountainous area, said...
Melbourne Hit by
in 200 Years'
Sep 21, 2021 8:37 PM CDT
Melbourne Hit by 'Strongest Quake in 200 Years'
No injuries reported after 6.0 quake
- A magnitude 5.8 to 6.0 earthquake caused damage in the city of Melbourne on Wednesday in an unusually powerful temblor for Australia, Geoscience Australia said. The quake hit northeast of Australia’s second-most populous city near the town of Mansfield at a depth of 6 miles, Geoscience Australia...
'Probably a Lot of
Sep 18, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Calif. Quake: 'Wine Everywhere,' 'Probably a Lot of Frightened Cats'
Magnitude 4.3 temblor jolted S. California Friday, though no reports of serious injuries, damage
- Los Angeles County's weekend started off with a jolt, with a magnitude 4.3 quake hitting the area around Carson, Calif., on Friday evening. The US Geological Survey reports that shaking from the temblor, which hit right before 8pm local time, was felt throughout multiple counties, including Orange and...
First Came the Quake,
Then the Weird Blue Lights
Sep 9, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
First Came the Quake, Then the Weird Blue Lights
Residents of Mexico awed by 'earthquake lights' in the sky
- Soon after a strong earthquake rattled Acapulco , the hashtag "Apocalipsis" began trending, notes NPR . But the reference to the apocalypse and the end of days wasn't so much about damage caused by the quake as the weird lights in the sky. See for yourself in a few of...
7.0 Earthquake Hits
Mexico Resort Town
Sep 8, 2021 12:19 AM CDT
7.0 Earthquake Hits Mexico Resort Town
One person reportedly killed near Acapulco
- A powerful earthquake struck near the Pacific resort city of Acapulco on Tuesday night, killing at least one person and causing buildings to rock and sway in Mexico City hundreds of miles away. The US Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and was centered...
Massive Alaska Quake
May Have Caused
Sunken Ship's Leak
Aug 17, 2021 7:44 PM CDT
Massive Alaska Quake May Have Caused Sunken Ship's Leak
Fuel is spilling from 1989 shipwreck
- A ship that sank off Kodiak Island decades ago has started to leak diesel fuel, and a state official suspects ground shaking from last month’s massive magnitude 8.2 earthquake might be the reason. The vessel sank in 1989 in Womens Bay, "and it’s been resting there...
Storm Brings More Misery
to Earthquake Survivors
Aug 17, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Storm Brings More Misery to Earthquake Survivors
But 16 were found alive in collapsed building
- The death toll from the devastating earthquake that hit Haiti Saturday has risen to almost 2,000, but authorities haven't given up hopes of finding survivors. On Tuesday, 16 people were found alive in the rubble of a building in the southern town of Brefet, the
Lack of Doctors, Supplies
Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
Aug 16, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Lack of Doctors, Supplies Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
'Basically, they need everything,' one doctor says of hospitals in Les Cayes, near where quake hit
- As the death toll continues to climb after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake slammed Haiti over the weekend, killing at least 1,300 and injuring thousands, one dire issue is quickly emerging: the lack of sufficient medical care. Per the
New York Times
, the nation already had a dearth of...
Tropical Storm to Quickly
Follow Haiti Earthquake
Aug 15, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Tropical Storm to Quickly Follow Haiti Earthquake
Grace likely to hit devastated island
- Even as rescuers and loved ones still search rubble for signs of life, Haitians are bracing for another disaster that could pile onto a death count that's already surpassed 300 in the aftermath of Saturday's earthquake . Per NBC News , Tropical Storm Grace looks likely to batter the ailing...
2 Major Weekend Quakes,
Thousands of Miles Apart
Aug 14, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
2 Major Weekend Quakes, Thousands of Miles Apart
On Saturday, Haiti hit with 7.0 magnitude quake, Alaska experiences 6.9 magnitude temblor
- A 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Haiti on Saturday morning, reports the AP . According to the US Geological Survey, the quake hit about 5 miles from the town of Petit-Trou-de-Nippes, about 80 miles west of the capital of Port-au-Prince, notes the
New York Times
. Seismologists say...
This Was the Largest US
Earthquake in 56 Years
Jul 30, 2021 2:50 AM CDT
This Was the Largest US Earthquake in 56 Years
Official calls it 'a miracle' major damage was avoided
- The largest earthquake in the United States in the last half century produced a lot of shaking but spared Alaska any major damage in a sparsely populated region, officials said Thursday. The magnitude 8.2 earthquake was reported about 10:15pm Wednesday, and it struck just south of the Alaska...
Tsunami Warnings Issued
After 8.2 Quake Hits Alaska
Jul 29, 2021 4:24 AM CDT
Tsunami Warnings Issued After 8.2 Quake Hits Alaska
There could be a threat to Guam, American Samoa
- A tsunami warning was issued for parts of Alaska after a large earthquake struck the peninsula. The US Geological Survey said the quake was magnitude 8.2 and hit 56 miles east-southeast of Perryville, Alaska, at about 8:15pm Wednesday. The quake was about 29 miles below the surface of...
Seconds Before Quake Hits,
Entire West Coast Will Know
May 5, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Seconds Before Quake Hits, Entire West Coast Will Know
Earthquake early warning system now covers the entire West Coast
- It's been 15 years of labor , and now, the fruits: Anyone in California, Oregon, and Washington with a cellphone can now get the US earthquake early warning system's mobile alerts. The ShakeAlert early warning system went live in LA in late 2018 and then expanded to the rest...
Clock Stopped by Earthquake
a Decade Ago Restarts
Apr 15, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Clock Stopped by Earthquake a Decade Ago Restarts
After another earthquake in Japan
- A clock that stopped working after the catastrophic 2011 earthquake in Japan has resumed ticking a decade later—after another strong earthquake. The BBC reports that the century-old, spring-driven clock in a Buddhist temple stopped keeping time when the temple was damaged by the quake and ensuing tsunami. The temple'...
After More Than 40K
Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Mar 20, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After More Than 40K Tiny Quakes, an Eruption
Volcano on Iceland's Reykjanes Peninsula finally blew on Friday night
- They knew it was coming. For weeks, residents in Iceland have been feeling the ground tremble as the island nation was pummeled by tens of thousands of tiny earthquakes , a phenomenon that scientists warned appeared to be a precursor to a volcanic eruption. On Friday night, that eruption took place...
an Order to Move
to Higher Ground
Mar 4, 2021 5:15 PM CST
After Earthquake, an Order to Move to Higher Ground
New Zealand calls for evacuations after 8.1 quake hits off the coast
- A powerful magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck in the ocean off the coast of New Zealand on Friday, prompting thousands of people to evacuate and triggering tsunami warnings across the South Pacific. The quake was the largest in a series of tremors that struck the region over several hours, including...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.