Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
What You Need to
Know About Morocco's
Sep 11, 2023 2:26 AM CDT
What You Need to Know About Morocco's Devastating Earthquake
Death toll is at 2.1K
- After a magnitude-6.8 earthquake brought destruction and devastation to Morocco, where death and injury counts continue to rise as rescue crews dig out the alive and dead from the rubble, the AP runs down what you need to know:
Who was affected?
Of the 2,122 deaths reported as
Earthquake Death Toll Tops 2K
Sep 9, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Earthquake Death Toll Tops 2K
Crews struggle to reach remote areas of Morocco for victims
- Rescue efforts in Morocco became more frantic on Saturday night, as crews rushed to hard-to-reach mountain villages almost 24 hours after a major earthquake struck . The death toll from the region's strongest earthquake in more than a century surpassed 2,000, the AP reports. The government reported that at...
Powerful Quake Kills
Hundreds in Morocco
Sep 8, 2023 11:25 PM CDT
Powerful Quake Kills Hundreds in Morocco
USGS says 6.8-magnitude quake hit south of Marrakech
- A rare, powerful earthquake struck Morocco late Friday night, killing hundreds of people and damaging buildings from villages in the Atlas Mountains to the historic city of Marrakech. Men, women, and children stayed out in the streets, fearing aftershocks. Morocco's Interior Ministry said early Saturday that at least 296...
In the Middle of
a 5.1 Earthquake
Aug 21, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
In the Middle of California's Rare Tropical Storm, a 5.1 Earthquake
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hilary was drenching the southern part of the state
- Tropical Storm Hilary drenched Southern California from the coast to inland mountains and deserts Sunday evening, prompting rescues from swollen rivers and forcing some of the nation's largest school districts to cancel Monday classes. Millions braced for more flooding and mudslides, even as the storm began to weaken, the...
Natural Disasters Hit
These States Most
Aug 19, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Natural Disasters Hit These States Most
But it's good to be in New England
- If it seems like all you're doing lately is reading about wildfires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, mudslides, earthquakes, and on and on and on, well, you're not alone. While it might seem like natural disasters are inescapable, the folks over at WalletHub crunched some data—going back to 1980—...
Taylor Swift's Concerts
Have Literally Gone Seismic
Jul 28, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Taylor Swift's Concerts Have Literally Gone Seismic
Activity from Seattle concerts had 2.3 magnitude, beating out 2011 'Beast Quake' at Seahawks game
- When commentators say Taylor Swift's concerts are "seismic," they're not simply using a colorful descriptor—they're detailing what appears to be an actual physical manifestation of Swifties' rabid fandom. As part of her Eras Tour, the 33-year-old performer took to the stage at Seattle's...
Scientists Mapping Hidden
Mountains Taller than Everest
Jun 25, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Scientists Mapping Hidden Mountains Taller than Everest
These huge peaks are located inside the Earth, but much about them is unknown
- At more than 29,000 feet, Mt. Everest is popularly known as the tallest mountain on Earth. What many may not know, however, is that there are mountain ranges
the earth that have peaks as much as four times higher than Everest. In a BBC report , the British public...
Theory Explains Why
San Andreas Fault
Is Quiet Near LA
Jun 10, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Theory Explains Why San Andreas Fault Is Quiet Near LA
The disappearance of an ancient lake plays a role in seismic silence, researchers say
- Researchers may have discovered why California is overdue for a major earthquake along the southern section of the San Andreas fault. It's been 300 years since a quake of a magnitude of 7 or greater erupted from this section of fault stretching east of Los Angeles from the Salton...
6.5 Quake Shakes
Mar 22, 2023 12:33 AM CDT
6.5 Quake Shakes Pakistan, Afghanistan
At least 11 died, including girl killed in stampede
This story has been updated with the latest death toll
. A magnitude 6.5 earthquake rattled much of Pakistan and Afghanistan on Tuesday, sending panicked residents fleeing from homes and offices and frightening people even in remote villages. At least nine people died in Pakistan and two in Afghanistan, officials...
Earthquake Kills at Least 15,
Mar 18, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Earthquake Kills at Least 15, Traps Survivors
Downed power lines in Ecuador complicate rescue crews' searches
This story has been updated with the most recent death toll.
A strong earthquake shook southern Ecuador and northern Peru on Saturday, killing at least 15 people and injuring more than 445, trapping others under rubble, and sending rescue teams out into streets littered with debris and fallen power lines....
More Than 3 Weeks After
Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Mar 2, 2023 9:02 AM CST
More Than 3 Weeks After Quake, an 'Unexpected Groan'
Alex the husky is pulled out of rubble in Turkey's Hatay province, emaciated but otherwise OK
- After a series of miraculous rescues , teams digging through the rubble in the aftermath of last month's earthquake in Turkey and Syria had more or less given up on finding any more survivors. That is, until Tuesday, when an "unexpected groan" emitted from underneath a concrete block pile...
Another Large Earthquake
Rattles Turkey, Syria
Feb 20, 2023 1:20 PM CST
Another Large Earthquake Rattles Turkey, Syria
'No one wants to get back into their houses'
- Another strong earthquake struck Turkey’s Hatay province on Monday, the same region devastated by a massive tremor two week ago, per the AP . The quake, measured initially at magnitude 6.3, hit the southern part of the province, near the border with Syria, reports CNN . Syria's state news...
Update on Soccer
Feb 18, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Heartbreaking Update on Soccer Player Caught in Quake
Body of Christian Atsu, 31, found in Antakya, Turkey, after initially being reported as rescued
- Christian Atsu, the Ghana international forward who played for Premier League clubs Chelsea and Newcastle, has died in the earthquake in Turkey. He was 31. Search teams recovered Atsu's body in the ruins of a luxury 12-story building where he'd been living in the city of Antakya, Hatay...
200 Hours After the Quake,
the Improbable: Survivors
Feb 14, 2023 3:05 PM CST
200 Hours After the Quake, the Improbable: Survivors
Yet the combined death toll stands at nearly 40K
New York Times
puts the count of "improbable rescues" at nine: people finally freed from the rubble roughly 200 hours after devastating earthquakes struck Turkey and Syria. One of those rescues involved two brothers who survived on protein powder and by drinking their own urine; the men, ages...
Gunmen Storm Hospital
of Baby Pulled From Rubble
Feb 14, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Gunmen Storm Hospital of Baby Pulled From Rubble
Hospital denies it was an attempt to kidnap baby Aya
- Gunmen stormed a hospital in north Syria where a baby girl is receiving care after being born under the rubble of her family’s earthquake-shattered home, a hospital official said Tuesday, adding that the attackers beat the clinic's director. The official denied reports on social media claiming that the...
Toll of 24K,
Feb 11, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Amid Death Toll of 24K, 'Shimmers of Joy'
Five days after Turkey-Syria quake, teen boy, family of 5 pulled alive from rubble
- Rescue teams in Turkey on Saturday pulled to safety a family of five who survived inside their collapsed home for five days following a major earthquake in a sprawling border region of Turkey and Syria, per the AP . They first extricated mother and daughter Havva and Fatmagul Aslan from a...
As Quake Toll Surges,
About 1999 Tax
Feb 8, 2023 11:38 AM CST
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
More than 11K people confirmed dead
- Wednesday's revised death toll placed the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday as the deadliest of the last decade. The
reports 8,754 people have been confirmed dead in in Turkey, with the current toll in Syria at 2,470. Those roughly 11,...
Mother Trapped in
Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Feb 7, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Mother Trapped in Quake Rubble Gives Birth
Sadly, the mother died after earthquake in Syria, but her newborn was rescued
- Thousands are dead after a devastating earthquake that wreaked havoc in Turkey and Syria, but there are small pieces of good news amid the carnage. First, a toddler was pulled out of the rubble Monday in the Syrian city of Azaz; that was followed by the rescue of a 14-year-old...
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From
Rubble a Day After Quake
Feb 7, 2023 12:00 AM CST
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From Rubble a Day After Quake
Death toll in Turkey-Syria quake is now above 4.3K
- More than a day after the devastating Turkey-Syria earthquake , what observers called a "miracle": A 14-year-old boy was pulled from the rubble in the Turkish city of Kahramanmaras, CNN reports. He was seen being carried by rescuers on a stretcher to an ambulance, which transported him to a hospital;...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.