Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Could've Called
the Cops After
She Stole His Dog.
Jul 12, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
He Could've Called the Cops After She Stole His Dog. Instead, Rehab
Canadian man arranged for drug addict to be placed in rehab after she swiped Chinese shar-pei
- Last month, Brayden Morton put up a frantic message on Facebook. "Please share and help me," he pleaded in a June 18 post . "A blue older model Ford truck just pulled up behind my house and took Darla." Darla is Morton's 3-year-old Chinese shar-pei, and...
Mulaney Isn't Only
One Who Relied on
Booze in Pandemic
Dec 23, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Mulaney Isn't Only One Who Relied on Booze in Pandemic
One survey found 9 out of 10 people telecommuters have been drinking while working
- Like many people, John Mulaney suddenly had a lot of downtime once the pandemic began. For someone who's struggled with cocaine and alcohol use, that wasn't a good thing. The comedian is now undergoing a rehab program in Pennsylvania. "It was a relief to his wife and...
15 Years After
Dec 22, 2020 1:14 AM CST
15 Years After Getting Sober, John Mulaney Enters Rehab
Comedian reportedly seeking treatment for alcohol, cocaine addiction
- John Mulaney is an open book when it comes to his struggles with addiction: the comedian has talked about how he began drinking at 13, then started doing drugs, before ultimately getting sober at age 23. Now, at age 38, the former
Saturday Night Live
writer is in rehab, Page...
'I Must Save the
Only Life I Can'
Nov 11, 2020 1:10 PM CST
Sinead O'Connor: 'I Must Save the Only Life I Can'
Singer is entering rehab for trauma, addiction
- Sinead O'Connor says she is taking a year off from performing—and it's not because of the pandemic. The Irish singer says she plans to spend a year in rehab to recover from six traumatic years, Fox reports. Next year's shows "are being postponed until 2022...
Errand at Dallas
Gas Station Was
No Regular One
Sep 29, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Mark Cuban's Errand at Dallas Gas Station Was No Regular One
Dallas Mavericks owner picked up troubled ex-player Delonte West, with hopes to help get him to rehab
- It started out last week with a distressing scene: former NBA player Delonte West standing in the rain on the side of a Dallas street, holding up a sign asking for help. Someone snapped a pic, and concerned parties started trying to track the 37-year-old down. This week, a big...
Andrew Gillum Is Leaving
Politics for Rehab
Mar 16, 2020 2:57 AM CDT
Andrew Gillum Is Leaving Politics for Rehab
'This has been a wake-up call for me,' says former Florida gubernatorial candidate
- Andrew Gillum is stepping back from politics and entering rehab after being found in a Miami Beach hotel room with an overdose victim and several bags of crystal meth. "This has been a wake-up call for me," he said in a statement Sunday night, per WESH . "Since...
Looks Like Movie Star
Fell Off the Wagon
Oct 27, 2019 3:12 PM CDT
Looks Like Movie Star Fell Off the Wagon
Ben Affleck loses his balance after leaving LA event
- Seems Ben Affleck knocked back a few at a Halloween party in Los Angeles after staying sober for more than a year,
star—or what looks like him, behind a skull mask—was caught by TMZ leaving a Unicef ball in West Hollywood on...
More Than 190K People
Like DMX's Sobering News
Oct 14, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
More Than 190K People Like DMX's Sobering News
Rapper has entered rehab
- DMX fans in Memphis and New York didn't get their fill of the rapper over the weekend as planned, reports CNN . The 48-year-old's team announced Saturday on his Instagram account that DMX had decided to enter rehab and apologized for being a no-show. The brief statement notes that...
on Hold as
Sep 28, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Metallica Tour on Hold as Frontman Enters Rehab
Band cancels performances in Australia, NZ as James Hetfield '[works] on his recovery again'
- Nothing else matters to the guys of Metallica except their lead singer getting better—which is why the band has announced it has nixed plans to tour in Australia and New Zealand, at least for the time being, TMZ reports. James Hetfield's bandmates posted a note on Twitter Friday...
Goes to Rehab
Sep 21, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Self-Help Guru Goes to Rehab
Jordan Peterson says, 'At least life isn't dull'
- A self-help guru who's widely celebrated in some circles—and reviled in others—has gone into rehab, the Daily Dot reports. Jordan Peterson's daughter announced the development Thursday on YouTube and Peterson himself tweeted a link to the video, saying, "At least life isn't dull."...
They Spent Six Figures
on Son's Rehab. It Didn't Work
in case you missed it
Sep 8, 2019 1:05 PM CDT
They Spent Six Figures on Son's Rehab. It Didn't Work
Vox investigates the nation's questionable rehab system
- The booming opioid crisis has led to a rising need for rehab facilities to help people get sober. The problem is these places are expensive and, as Vox explains, they often don't work. As an example, the story focuses on the plight of Kim and Tim Blake of Vermont,...
Heather Locklear Sentenced
to Mental Health Facility
Aug 17, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Heather Locklear Sentenced to Mental Health Facility
'Melrose Place' actress avoids jail, will spend 30 days in treatment center after 2018 incidents
- Heather Locklear had a rough 2018, with an arrest in February , then again in June . Now the 57-year-old
actress, who's long struggled with mental health issues and substance abuse problems , is trying to get help and take responsibility for her actions. That's what sources tell TMZ...
Lawyer: Ryan Lochte Finally
Getting Help for Longtime Issue
Oct 6, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Lawyer: Ryan Lochte Finally Getting Help for Longtime Issue
Olympic swimmer will seek treatment for 'destructive' alcohol addiction
- A hotel altercation this week has forced an Olympic champion to seek treatment for a longtime problem. TMZ Sports reports swimmer Ryan Lochte found himself in trouble Thursday after he tried to bust through his own hotel room door in the middle of the night in Newport Beach, Calif. He...
Ben Affleck: 'I Am Fighting
for Myself and My Family'
Oct 5, 2018 12:37 AM CDT
Ben Affleck: 'I Am Fighting for Myself and My Family'
He thanks fans after 40-day rehab stay
- Ben Affleck says he has completed a 40-day stint in rehab for alcohol addiction and is now in outpatient care—but because battling addiction is a lifelong struggle, "one is never really in or out of treatment." "I am fighting for myself and my family," the...
Mel B Admits
Numb My Pain'
Aug 28, 2018 12:53 PM CDT
Mel B Admits 'Drinking to Numb My Pain'
Says she'll get treatment for sex, alcohol addiction
- Mel B has a hurdle to clear before embarking on a Spice Girls tour next year. Admitting to "drinking to numb my pain" from an allegedly abusive marriage and the death of her father last year, the 43-year-old singer and
America's Got Talent
judge tells the
Affleck's Ex 'Had to Let
Him Hit Bottom': Source
Aug 25, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
Affleck's Ex 'Had to Let Him Hit Bottom': Source
'Saturday Night Live' producer Lindsay Shookus tried to keep him sober, source says
- Seems addiction is having a huge impact on Ben Affleck's life. Not only is he back in rehab, a source tells
Saturday Night Live
producer Lindsay Shookus broke up with him over his struggles: "Lindsay had been supporting Ben’s sobriety and going to meetings with...
Pic of Affleck Was
'Tipping Point' for
Aug 23, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Pic of Affleck Was 'Tipping Point' for Ex's Intervention
Report says Jennifer Garner drove him to 3rd stint in rehab Wednesday after photo of him with booze
- The "tipping point" that led Jennifer Garner to stage an intervention and get estranged husband Ben Affleck into rehab came from a photo. That's what sources tell TMZ , which reports the 46-year-old actor left his home in Pacific Palisades, Calif., on Wednesday with Garner and an unidentified woman...
He Became a Billionaire,
Dies on Way to Rehab at 54
Apr 17, 2018 7:28 AM CDT
He Became a Billionaire, Dies on Way to Rehab at 54
Matthew Mellon bet big on cryptocurrencies, but battled an OxyContin addiction
- Matthew Mellon, the banking heir whose cryptocurrency investment paid off big-time, has died in Cancun, Mexico. He was 54. A family rep issued the following statement to
: "Mellon made his fortune in cryptocurrency, turning a $2 million investment into $1 billion. He is survived by his three...
Jan 3, 2018 11:00 AM CST
One Addict's Death Illustrates Sprawling Rehab Industry
'New York Times' explores legal fight involving American Addiction Centers
- One aspect of the story is fairly straightforward: An alcoholic who also happened to have a chronic lung disease checks into a California rehab clinic to get clean and is found dead in his bed the next morning. But the death of Gary Benefield is just a launching point for...
Google Is a Dangerous Place
for Addicts Seeking Help
Sep 8, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
Google Is a Dangerous Place for Addicts Seeking Help
There's no shortage of scammers looking to take advantage of people at their lowest
- The internet can be a dangerous place for people seeking help for drug and alcohol addiction. And that's bad news for many Americans, as a Google study found 61% of people who enter rehab used the internet to find treatment. Search a phrase like "rehabs near me" on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.