Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
To Study Elephants in Mourning,
Researchers Get Creative
May 18, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
To Study Elephants in Mourning, Researchers Get Creative
It's the first scientific documentation of the behavior in Asian elephants, thanks to YouTube
- Wildlife biologists used crowdsourced YouTube videos to compile the first scientific documentation of how Asian elephants react to death. It's not that they were afraid to go into the field to study them with their own eyes—the problem is that Asian elephants are jungle dwellers, which makes them...
Electrocution Kills 2 Making
Art That's a TikTok Trend
Apr 24, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Electrocution Kills 2 Making Art That's a TikTok Trend
Experts caution woodburning process isn't safe at home
- The deaths of two people in Wisconsin are being blamed on electrocution caused by a woodburning technique that's popular on TikTok but banned by a trade group. The bodies of Tanya Rodriguez, 44, and James Carolfi, 52, were found after a house fire, but the Marathon County Sheriff's...
FAA: YouTuber Crashed
Plane for the Clicks
Apr 22, 2022 12:43 PM CDT
FAA: YouTuber Crashed Plane for the Clicks
Former Olympian Trevor Jacob's pilot license to be revoked
- A pilot deliberately crashed his small plane so he could air the footage on his YouTube page, a Federal Aviation Administration investigation has concluded. Trevor Jacob, a former Olympian snowboarder whose YouTube channel dedicated to extreme sports counts 134,000 subscribers, had multiple cameras rolling as he jumped out of...
Cops: Pie in the Face
Prank Is Criminal
Apr 15, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Cops: Pie in the Face Prank Is Criminal
Greenville, SC, police search for suspect ID'd through his YouTube videos
- South Carolina police are looking for a suspect in a series of whipped cream assaults, who was identified from his own YouTube channel. Andre Eugene Moore-Gerald of Greenville, also identified through CCTV footage, is wanted on charges of third-degree assault and battery, according to Greenville police. Sgt. Johnathan Bragg says...
YouTuber Ordered to Yank
'Dream' Cabin on Public Land
Mar 22, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
YouTuber Ordered to Yank 'Dream' Cabin on Public Land
Matty Clarke of 'Skote outdoors' is squatting in the Yukon, government says
- A YouTuber who told viewers that they, like him, could build their "dream" cabin in the Yukon wilderness forgot to mention that he did so illegally in the eyes of the territorial government. In 2020, Matty Clarke ventured to Ensley Creek, 15 miles up the Yukon River from Dawson...
Cops: YouTubers Built Fort,
Hid Inside Target Until 3am
Mar 11, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Cops: YouTubers Built Fort, Hid Inside Target Until 3am
They could get up to 7 years for '24-hour Target challenge'
- Police in Pennsylvania say two people hid inside a Target store and remained there for hours after it closed—and they might have gotten away with it, if they hadn't documented their activities in a YouTube video titled "24 Hour Overnight Challenge in Target." Police say Charlotte...
Dan Bongino Permanently
Jan 27, 2022 6:25 AM CST
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
He kept posting misinformation, skirting suspensions
YouTube has permanently barred Dan Bongino. While the right-wing radio and Fox News host's channel was on a one-week suspension for violating the misinformation policy, another account associated with Bongino posted another video with the same misinformation. That not only violated YouTube's misinformation policy, but also Google'...
Cardi B Awarded $4M in
Libel Suit Against YouTuber
Jan 25, 2022 7:26 PM CST
Cardi B Awarded $4M in Libel Suit Against YouTuber
Tasha K claimed rapper was prostitute, cocaine user
- Cardi B has been awarded more than $4 million in her libel lawsuit against Tasha K. The rapper took the gossip blogger, also known as Latasha Kebe, to court after she posted videos on YouTube claiming that Cardi B was a prostitute and cocaine user whose child would be born...
80 Fact-Checking Groups:
YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Jan 12, 2022 11:20 AM CST
80 Fact-Checking Groups: YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Platform is a 'major conduit' of disinformation, say groups in more than 60 countries
- YouTube isn't doing enough to tackle fake news on its platform, according to a letter signed by more than 80 fact-checking groups in more than 60 countries. The groups, including the
Fact Checker and UK's Full Fact, say disinformation and misinformation fly under the radar of...
Pretty Down on
Nov 17, 2021 12:10 PM CST
YouTube Co-Founder Pretty Down on YouTube Change
Jawed Karim dislikes decision to hide dislike counter
: YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim dislikes the company's decision to remove the "dislike" counter—and he's edited the first video ever posted on the site to say so. Karim changed the description of "Me at the zoo" to ask why YouTube would make the "universally...
Google Makes Big Move
on Climate Change Denial
Oct 8, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Google Makes Big Move on Climate Change Denial
Company to restrict ads on Google, YouTube that promote climate change misinformation
- Google is cracking down on digital ads promoting false climate-change claims or being used to make money from such content, hoping to limit revenue for climate change deniers and stop the spread of misinformation on its platforms. The company said Thursday in a blog post that the new policy will...
Oct 2, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Ozy Makes Announcement With 'Heaviest of Hearts'
Digital media company is shutting down after week of bombshell reports, controversies
A "strange chapter" in the media world has come to a close. That's per the
New York Times
, which reports that Ozy Media, the digital media firm it had dropped a bombshell report on earlier in the week, is shuttering. "It is ... with the heaviest of...
YouTube Makes Big Move
on Anti-Vaccine Content
Sep 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
YouTube Makes Big Move on Anti-Vaccine Content
Ban now covers false claims on all vaccines
- YouTube is cracking down on medical misinformation—especially anti-vaccine content. In a blog post Wednesday, the platform said it is expanding a ban on false claims about COVID vaccines to cover other vaccines. YouTube said the ban includes content that "falsely alleges that approved vaccines are dangerous and cause...
Faces 514 Years in Prison
Sep 23, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Accused Streamer Faces 514 Years in Prison
Bill Carrasquillo allegedly stole copyrighted content from cable firms, sold it to his own subscribers
- For most people, getting arrested is, at the very least, an inconvenience. For Bill Omar Carrasquillo, his Tuesday detention was "100% a relief." That's what the 35-year-old YouTuber known as "Omi in a Hellcat" told FOX 29 Philadelphia on Wednesday outside his Swedesboro, NJ, home after...
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul
for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
Aug 11, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
GOP senator calls his weeklong booting a 'badge of honor'
- Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't the only Republican lawmaker who's temporarily lost social media privileges . On Tuesday, the same day that Twitter placed the Georgia congresswoman on a seven-day break for posting misinformation on the COVID vaccine, GOP Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky received his own weeklong suspension from...
Off Mountain: 'We
Are in Great Grief'
Jul 31, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
YouTuber Plummets Off Mountain: 'We Are in Great Grief'
Albert Dyrlund, 22, was filming a video when he fell to his death in Italian Alps
- Kids in Denmark grew up watching him. Now, a young YouTube star is dead, following a tragic accident in the Italian Alps, where he was filming a new video for his channel . Italian broadcaster Rai reports that 22-year-old Albert Dyrlund was shooting footage on Mount Seceda in Val Gardena on...
YouTube Yanks Videos
From Brazil's Bolsonaro
Jul 22, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
YouTube Yanks Videos From Brazil's Bolsonaro
Platform accuses him of spreading misinformation about COVID
- YouTube has removed some 15 videos posted by Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro that spread misinformation about COVID-19. The platform says it does not allow content "that states that hydroxychloroquine and/or ivermectin are effective in treating or preventing Covid-19, that states there is a cure for the disease, or says...
Here's One Doctor's 6-Step
Routine for an Awesome Day
Jul 18, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Here's One Doctor's 6-Step Routine for an Awesome Day
Hint: It has to do with getting a good night's sleep
- Ali Abdaal is a junior doctor in the UK who shares tips and life hacks on YouTube and his podcast , and in one recent video with more than half a million views, he explains why he's "never tired." The secret, per
, is a six-step routine meant...
Trump's Silicon Valley Move
May Be a Lose-Win Strategy
Jul 8, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Trump's Silicon Valley Move May Be a Lose-Win Strategy
Legal experts think suits against social media giants are doomed, but they may fire up his base
- Former President Trump went after Facebook, Twitter, and Google on Wednesday with class-action lawsuits that accuse them of censoring conservative views by banning him and others. The consensus in coverage is that the lawsuits stand little chance of succeeding, but that might be OK with Trump. Coverage:
An analysis at
Speech on COVID
Dinged on YT
Jun 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Senator's Speech on COVID Treatments Gets Dinged on YT
Ron Johnson earns one-week suspension after site says he spread medical misinformation
- Ron Johnson had some thoughts earlier this month on treatments for COVID, and those nuggets have now earned him a one-week suspension from YouTube. The Republican senator from Wisconsin made a June 3 appearance at the Milwaukee Press Club, where he slammed both the Trump and Biden administrations for "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
It Took Police 40 Minutes to Move in as Classroom Full of Kids Was Massacred
Ukraine Does Not Like Kissinger's Advice
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.