Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kiss Showed Soccer for What
It Is: 'The Misogynistic Game'
Aug 22, 2023 4:22 PM CDT
Kiss Showed Soccer for What It Is: 'The Misogynistic Game'
Unwanted kiss and Spanish federation's reaction is a disgrace, but not a surprise: Christine Brennan
- The message behind the Women's World Cup was one of empowerment. But it "wasn't destined to last long, not in international soccer, not with its long history of ignoring women, not paying women equally and not particularly caring about the women's game." As Christine Brennan...
Tiger Woods' Prank
Doesn't Land With Everyone
Feb 17, 2023 11:46 AM CST
Tiger Woods' Prank Doesn't Land With Everyone
He outdrove Justin Thomas, then handed him a tampon
- Tiger Woods was back to form Thursday at the Genesis Invitational at Los Angeles' Riviera Country Club—his first golf tournament since missing the cut at the Open Championship last July—and back to his trash-talking ways. After Woods outdrove his playing partner Justin Thomas on the ninth hole, cameras...
Dec 30, 2022 12:28 PM CST
He Trolled Greta Thunberg. Days Later, an Arrest
Influencer Andrew Tate, brother in custody in Romania on rape, human trafficking charges
This story has been updated to clarify how the pizza boxes came into play.
Earlier this week, climate change activist Greta Thunberg got into it online with Andrew Tate, a former kickboxer, TikTok star, and controversial influencer who, until recently, had been kicked off most social media platforms. Now, a...
Toronto Spa Killer
Pleads Guilty, Says
He Was 'Born' an Incel
Sep 15, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Toronto Spa Killer Pleads Guilty, Says He Was 'Born' an Incel
Toronto teen killed woman, injured 2 others in 2020 stabbings
The now-20-year-old who went on a stabbing spree at a Toronto massage parlor when he was 17, killing one woman and injuring another woman and a man, pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of murder and attempted murder. He still faces terror charges not covered by the plea. The killer,...
28 Arrested in Viral
Video of Men Beating
Women in Restaurant
Aug 30, 2022 1:57 AM CDT
28 Arrested in Viral Video of Men Beating Women in Restaurant
Footage of women brutally attacked put gender-based violence back in spotlight
Twenty-eight people have been charged in the June assault on multiple women at a restaurant in China that sparked outrage regarding violence against women in the country. Authorities say the incident and charges are connected to gang activity in the area, the
reports. Authorities had previously said...
Boris Johnson Defends Female
Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
Apr 25, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Defends Female Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
I 'deplore the misogyny directed at her anonymously today,' PM says of Angela Rayner
- Boris Johnson is trying to distance himself from a new controversy in British politics, one revolving around a newspaper article condemned as misogynistic. Over the weekend, the
Mail on Sunday
quoted anonymous lawmakers from Johnson's Conservative Party who accused opposition lawmaker Angela Rayner of trying to distract Johnson in...
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry
for Turning Women Into Cows
Dec 15, 2021 11:47 AM CST
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry for Turning Women Into Cows
The advertisement for Seoul Milk wasn't well received
- "We are taking this matter seriously, and we will pay more attention and review to prevent similar problems in the future." It's a fairly standard corporate apology. What prompted South Korea's largest dairy company to issue it is a little less typical: an advertisement that critics...
Host Now Has
Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Aug 19, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Host Now Has Old Podcast Remarks to Explain
Mike Richards' 2013-'14 comments on women, Jews, and Haiti are raising eyebrows
- When it was revealed earlier this month that Mike Richards, the new permanent host of the regular version of
, had been named in discrimination lawsuits during his time as a producer on
The Price Is Right
, he insisted that those complaints "[do] not reflect the reality of who...
Ellen: I'm a Victim of Misogyny
May 13, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
Ellen: I'm a Victim of Misogyny
Talk show host opens up about toxic workplace scandal
- When Ellen DeGeneres addressed allegations of a toxic workplace at her talk show last year, she said "things happened here that never should have happened" and "the necessary changes" had been made. Her stance appears a little different now after announcing the
Ellen DeGeneres Show
is nearing its...
Mayoral Hopeful Yang Catches
Flak for Video Reaction to 'Joke'
Apr 16, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
Mayoral Hopeful Yang Catches Flak for Video Reaction to 'Joke'
NYC contender is seen laughing in clip after man asks him, 'Do you choke b----es?'
- Running for office in the Big Apple is tough business, and Andrew Yang is quickly finding out just how tough. The front-runner mayoral candidate is taking heat after he was seen in a now-viral video, interacting and laughing with a group of men after one made misogynistic remarks. In the...
to Britney, Janet Jackson
Feb 12, 2021 3:36 PM CST
Timberlake Apologizes to Britney, Janet Jackson
Under pressure, singer concedes he added to the mistreatment the two women faced
- Without being specific about the actions he regrets, singer Justin Timberlake told Janet Jackson and Britney Spears in an online post Friday that he's sorry for his contributions to "a system that condones misogyny and racism." Timberlake's Instagram post said he was responding to comments and...
Beloved 'Hoe' Landmark
Not Loved by Facebook
Jan 27, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Beloved 'Hoe' Landmark Not Loved by Facebook
Site flagged posts that referred to UK's Plymouth Hoe
- In the dictionary, "hoe" typically refers to a gardening tool. To Facebook, the word means something entirely different, and it led to a bit of a social media uproar in the port city of Plymouth, located in the English county of Devon. That's where, per the
Does He Live In?
Jan 15, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Filipinas After Duterte Remarks: 'Which Cave' Does He Live In?
Leader of the Philippines says the presidency 'is not for women' amid rumors of a run by his daughter
- Women in the Philippines aren't terribly happy with their president after remarks made on the possibility of a female leader one day taking his place. In short, Rodrigo Duterte doesn't think it's a good idea, and Filipinas are calling him out on sexism and misogyny for saying...
Colorful Dress to
Work, Scoffs at Flak
Aug 7, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lawmaker Wears Colorful Dress to Work, Scoffs at Flak
South Korea's youngest lawmaker, Ryu Ho-jeong, says she wanted to 'shatter tradition' of dark suits
- The "pink dress effect" has consumed South Korean politics after the country's youngest member of the National Assembly wore a colorful wrap dress this week to a parliamentary session, and she's got both supporters and detractors. The
South China Morning Post
—which deems the short dress...
'I Felt Like I
Was in Hell':
An Exposé of
Feb 1, 2020 4:00 PM CST
'I Felt Like I Was in Hell': An Exposé of Victoria's Secret
The New York Times interviews 50 company insiders about a 'toxic' culture
- Victoria's Secret has "Angels," but there was a devil too—and his name was Ed Razek. That's according to a
New York Times
article based on interviews with over 50 company insiders, who describe an established culture of harassment, bullying, and misogyny at the lingerie company....
Kid Rock Accuses Taylor Swift
of 'Oldest Move in the Book'
Aug 10, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Kid Rock Accuses Taylor Swift of 'Oldest Move in the Book'
Makes crude reference in online political attack against Swift, who he says 'wants to be a Democrat'
- Kid Rock is picking a fight with Taylor Swift, and it's political, with a "twisted oral sex remark" thrown in for good measure, TMZ reports. On Friday, the 48-year-old singer posted a tweet that was immediately called misogynistic and abusive . "Taylor Swift wants to be a democrat...
Hot Yoga Shooter Posted
Videos. They're Not Pretty
Nov 4, 2018 1:45 PM CST
Hot Yoga Shooter Posted Videos. They're Not Pretty
Scott Beierle described himself as a misogynist on YouTube
- The Florida man who murdered two women in a yoga studio Friday was a right-wing extremist who posted videos criticizing women, immigrants, and black people, Buzzfeed reports. Scott Beierle, who committed suicide after the rampage, had posted several self-made videos on YouTube describing women as "whores" and "sluts"...
Jul 8, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
A Low-Key, Enraged Comic May Have Just Broken Standup
Hannah Gadsby unleashes in her new show, 'Nanette'
- Hannah Gadsby is a quiet, tea-loving comic whose new Netflix show
is being hailed as the next big thing. She's also simmering with rage and ready to quit the business,
reports. Onstage in her homeland of Australia, the gay performer eases people in with a few...
of Order to
'in the Vagina'
Feb 13, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Duterte Boasts of Order to Shoot Women 'in the Vagina'
Critic calls him 'the epitome of misogyny and fascism'
- In addition to saying he "should have been first" to assault a "beautiful" rape victim , Rodrigo Duterte once told soldiers he'd protect them if they raped women. His misogynistic rhetoric only continued with comments last week, drawing outrage even as a spokesman claims the Philippine president shouldn'...
Lawyer in Rape
Case: Women Are
Apr 21, 2017 12:12 PM CDT
Lawyer in Rape Case: Women Are Weaker Sex, Good Liars
Steve Farese is taking some heat for his comments
- Shock and outrage after—in the closing arguments of rich Tennesee man's rape trial—a defense attorney claimed women are especially adept liars. "Women can be especially good at it because they're the weaker sex," the
quotes Steve Farese as saying Thursday. He apparently...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.