Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coach Fired Amid Hazing Probe
Sues Northwestern for $130M
Oct 5, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Coach Fired Amid Hazing Probe Sues Northwestern for $130M
Pat Fitzgerald was wrongfully terminated, lawyers say
- Former Northwestern head football coach Pat Fitzgerald is taking the university to court, months after he was first suspended, then fired amid a hazing investigation. Attorneys Dan Webb and Matthew Carter say Fitzgerald is suing for $130 million in a wrongful termination lawsuit and will seek extra funds for future...
Gross Details Air
in Boston College
Sep 22, 2023 6:18 AM CDT
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
Swim, dive team members were allegedly forced to consume vomit
- Disturbing details have emerged on the alleged hazing that led to the indefinite suspension of the men's and women's swimming and diving teams at Boston College. According to a letter sent to a team member and seen by the Heights campus paper, team members were allegedly forced to...
Northwestern Rips T-Shirts
Backing Fired Coach
Aug 9, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Northwestern Rips T-Shirts Backing Fired Coach
Pat Fitzgerald was dismissed after accusations of hazing
- Northwestern University's athletic director criticized football team staff members on Wednesday for wearing T-shirts to practice with a message he condemned as inappropriate and offensive after the firing of head coach Pat Fitzgerald. A few of the employees at practice wore shirts reading, "Cats against the world" with...
Jul 25, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Northwestern University's Hazing Scandal Widens
Ex-volleyball player becomes first female athlete to sue the university
- The hazing scandal at Northwestern University has widened to include a volleyball player who on Monday became the first female athlete to sue the university over allegations she was retaliated against for reporting mistreatment and a new lawsuit by former Northwestern quarterback Lloyd Yates, the AP reports. "This shows...
Include Other Sports
Jul 19, 2023 4:28 PM CDT
Northwestern Accusations Include Other Sports
Former quarterback says head coach enabled culture of racism
- Allegations of hazing that first surfaced in Northwestern University's football program broadened Wednesday, with private attorneys saying male and female athletes in two other sports reported misconduct. The athletes also suggested that sexual abuse and racial discrimination in the football team were so rampant that coaches had to know...
After Hazing Investigation,
Northwestern Coach Fired
Jul 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Hazing Investigation, Northwestern Coach Fired
Pat Fitzgerald was first suspended, then terminated
- Within days of his suspension, Pat Fitzgerald has been fired as head coach of Northwestern University's football team amid an ongoing hazing investigation. "The head coach is ultimately responsible for the culture of his team," said the university's president in a statement announcing the termination Monday....
Hazed Frat Pledge Left
With 1% Chance to Live Sues
Apr 14, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Hazed Frat Pledge Left With 1% Chance to Live Sues
Benjamin Brennan, formerly of San Diego State, says he still suffers from 2021 hazing incident
- A fraternity pledge at San Diego State University says he was dumped at a hospital entrance with a blood alcohol level of 0.489 and a 1% chance that he'd live. Benjamin Brennan, now 21, is suing Kappa Sigma fraternity and members, alleging hazing practices that left him with...
Allegations of Brutal Culture
Hit Harvard Women's Hockey
Mar 12, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
Allegations of Brutal Culture Hit Harvard Women's Hockey
The Athletic explores 'mental health Hunger Games' of coach Katey Stone
- Katey Stone is the winningest coach in women's college hockey, having racked up more than 500 victories in her 27 seasons at Harvard. But a story at the Athletic suggests the 56-year-old Stone has cultivated a toxic culture, with the parent of one recent player describing it as a...
First the Team
Was Shut Down.
Coach Is Out
Feb 15, 2023 8:22 AM CST
First the Team Was Shut Down. Now Their Coach Is Out
Greg Heiar fired from men's basketball team at New Mexico State amid hazing claims
- Greg Heiar is out. Just days after New Mexico State indefinitely shuttered its men's basketball program amid allegations of hazing, the team's new head coach has been fired, reports ESPN . News of the termination came via a letter to the college community from Chancellor Dan Arvizu, who noted...
DA: High School 'Hazing'
Involved Sexual Assault
Sep 22, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
DA: High School 'Hazing' Involved Sexual Assault
10 teens at Middletown High School in Pennsylvania face charges
- Ten Pennsylvania high school students are facing charges in connection with a hazing scandal that led to the cancellation of the school's 2022 football season. Dauphin County District Attorney Francis T. Chardo said the students, all 16 or 17 years old, were charged as juveniles after a monthlong investigation...
5 Former Frat Members
Sentenced in Hazing Death
Jun 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
5 Former Frat Members Sentenced in Hazing Death
3 pleaded guilty to reckless homicide
- Three former fraternity members were sentenced Thursday to jail terms for their roles in the hazing death of a Bowling Green State University student, while two others were ordered to serve house arrest. Jarrett Prizel, 19; Daylen Dunson, 22; and Ben Boyers, 21, had all pleaded guilty to reckless homicide...
Suit: Our Son
Was Forced to
Drink Bottle of
Vodka as Pledge
Feb 3, 2022 8:37 AM CST
Suit: Our Son Was Forced to Drink Bottle of Vodka as Pledge
Parents of Mizzou student Daniel Santulli file hazing complaint against Phi Gamma Delta
- The parents of a Minnesota man allege in a lawsuit that he has been unresponsive and requires constant medical care since being forced to drink a bottle of vodka at a fraternity at the University of Missouri, reports the AP . Daniel Santulli, 19, of Eden Prairie, Minn., was found in...
Frat Member Charged With
Killing His 'Little Brother'
Apr 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
Frat Member Charged With Killing His 'Little Brother'
Involuntary manslaughter charges laid in hazing death of Bowling Green student Stone Foltz
- A grand jury has indicted eight people, including seven students at Ohio's Bowling Green State University, in connection with the death of a 20-year-old business major following an off-campus party. Stone Foltz died March 7 , three days after he attended a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity event at a house,...
This Was a
Apr 8, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
'This Report Confirms This Was a Hazing Death'
Stone Foltz's death ruled accident from 'fatal ethanol intoxication'
- The autopsy results are in for Stone Foltz, the 20-year-old sophomore at Bowling Green State University who died a month ago after an alleged fraternity hazing incident. His death was ruled an accident from "fatal ethanol intoxication during hazing incident," also known as alcohol poisoning, the
I'd Never Seen Him
'More Drunk in
His Entire Life'
Mar 8, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Student's Roommate: I'd Never Seen Him 'More Drunk in His Entire Life'
Bowling Green University sophomore Stone Foltz, 20, dead after apparent Pi Kappa Alpha hazing
- A sophomore business major at Ohio's Bowling Green State University who was in critical condition for three days at ProMedica Toledo Hospital has died—an apparent result of a fraternity hazing, reports ABC News . Sean Alto, an attorney representing the family of Stone Foltz, says the 20-year-old had attended...
Family Suspects Hazing
in Student's Death
Mar 2, 2021 5:11 PM CST
Family Suspects Hazing in Student's Death
Adam Oakes went to an off-campus party for Delta Chi initiation
- Adam Oakes had, at last, been asked to join a fraternity at Virginia Commonwealth University. On Friday night, Oakes, 19, went to an off-campus party for the first step in his Delta Chi initiation, CNN reports. "He had already tried to get into other fraternities and had been turned...
Arrest After LSU Frat Member
Ends Up on Life Support
Nov 5, 2020 2:00 AM CST
Arrest After LSU Frat Member Ends Up on Life Support
Fraternity member is accused of multiple counts of hazing
- A Louisiana State University student was arrested Monday and charged with hazing in connection with an October incident. Authorities say members of an LSU fraternity dropped a student off at a Baton Rouge hospital Oct. 19. That unidentified freshman was unresponsive with "pink frothy foam" coming from his mouth...
A Black Student's
Death is Getting
Oct 4, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
A Black Student's Death is Getting Even Uglier
More evidence emerges in the case of Sanda Dia
- A black student's death during a hazing ritual in Belgium has raised painful issues of racism, elitism, colonialism—and people who might be getting away with manslaughter, the
New York Times
reports. Sanda Dia was 20 when he died trying to enter a nearly all-white fraternity at the Catholic...
Nov 20, 2019 6:20 PM CST
9 Charged After Student Dies Amid Alleged Frat Hazing
Indictments include involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide
- The death of an Ohio University student and a related investigation into alleged hazing by fraternity members has led to charges against nine people, including two former students indicted for involuntary manslaughter and another for reckless homicide, the AP reports. The Athens County prosecutor announced indictments Tuesday related to the...
University to All Frats:
Stop Everything. Now.
Oct 5, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
University to All Frats: Stop Everything. Now.
Ohio University issues suspension amid widespread allegations
- Ohio University didn't just suspend one or two fraternities—it suspended all of them, Fox News reports. The university announced the move against 15 fraternities Thursday amid widespread claims of frat hazing. "These troubling allegations, which will be thoroughly investigated, indicate a potentially escalating systemic culture within our...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.