Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Andre Leon Talley
Is Dead at 73
Jan 19, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Fashion Legend Andre Leon Talley Is Dead at 73
He was the former creative director and editor-at-large of 'Vogue' magazine
- André Leon Talley, the towering former creative director and editor-at-large of
magazine, has died. He was 73, reports the AP . Talley’s literary agent David Vigliano confirmed Talley’s death to
late Tuesday, but no additional details were immediately available. Talley was an influential fashion journalist who...
Top Fashion Magazine
Is Going Fur-Free
Dec 3, 2021 4:02 AM CST
Top Fashion Magazine Is Going Fur-Free
Elle is dropping fur from all 45 global editions
- Fashion magazine
has 45 global editions—and fur will be banned from all of them as of Jan. 1, 2023.
senior vice president and international director Valeria Bessolo Llopiz tells Reuters that fur is being ditched because tastes are changing and support for animal welfare is growing. "...
Influential Designer's Death
Stuns Fashion, Art Worlds
Nov 28, 2021 5:46 PM CST
Influential Designer's Death Stuns Fashion, Art Worlds
Virgil Abloh, 41, was artistic director for menswear at Louis Vuitton
- Virgil Abloh, the groundbreaking designer for Louis Vuitton and Off-White, died Sunday at age 41. He had been diagnosed with cardiac angiosarcoma, but had chosen not to go public with his diagnosis, battling the disease in private, according to a post on his Instagram profile. Abloh didn’t start his...
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
AOC's Met Gala Dress
Has a Message
Sep 14, 2021 6:46 AM CDT
AOC's Met Gala Dress Has a Message
Congresswoman wore dress reading 'tax the rich' to Monday's high-society event
- The Met Gala red carpet was dotted with political messages, including from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Attending her first high-society Met Gala, where tickets reportedly cost $35,000, the New York congresswoman wore a floor-length white gown with the words "tax the rich" emblazoned on the back in red. "...
Levi's CEO: Number Who
Need New Size 'Staggering'
in case you missed it
Jun 12, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Levi's CEO: Number Who Need New Size 'Staggering'
About 25% of buyers need either a bigger or smaller jeans size, says Chip Bergh
- The pandemic didn't just change the style of jeans people are buying— skinny jeans are out and more comfortable fits are in—but something more fundamental: waist sizes. In an interview with the AP , Levi's CEO Chip Bergh estimates that 25% of customers are in need of a...
Balenciaga, Crocs Team Up
to Make Uncomfortable Shoes
Jun 12, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Balenciaga, Crocs Team Up to Make Uncomfortable Shoes
And the resulting negative reaction about stiletto crocs is likely the whole point
- Crocs are having a moment. They were hot sellers during the pandemic lockdowns, which makes sense. They put out a KFC-branded pair that looks—and smells!—like fried chicken, which really doesn’t make much sense. They’ve turned up on the famous feet of Nicki Minaj and...
Pandemic May Have Changed
Thinking on Blue Jeans
Apr 18, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Pandemic May Have Changed Thinking on Blue Jeans
'New denim cycle' may be here: goodbye skinny jeans, hello mom jeans
- Of all the changes wrought by the pandemic, a shift in blue jeans fashion may not seem of great importance. But it certain circles, it's leading to serious-sounding pronouncements like this one, from Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh to the
New York Times
: "It's very possible that...
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size
Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM CDT
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Critics say not enough larger sizes are actually offered, and that pieces are too expensive
- Lena Dunham has a new clothing line out, but like much other news involving Lena Dunham, it's a project not without controversy. Per
, the collaboration between the 34-year-old
star and fashion retailer 11 Honore offers various apparel for women sizes 12 through 26, a line Dunham says...
Second Stepdaughter Makes
Fashion Runway Debut
Feb 19, 2021 4:46 AM CST
Second Stepdaughter Makes Fashion Runway Debut
Her knitwear collection sold out within hours
- This has been an amazing week for Ella Emhoff, one of two people who call Vice President Kamala Harris "Momala." The 21-year-old "Second Stepdaughter" not only made her catwalk debut at New York Fashion Week, her knitwear collection made its debut at online shop Mall Thursday and...
Kamala Harris Gives Jolt
to a Certain Sneaker
Feb 2, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Kamala Harris Gives Jolt to a Certain Sneaker
Sales of Converse's Chuck Taylors spike after vice president wears them
- Supporters of Kamala Harris appear to have helped boost sales of the vice president's favorite pair of shoes. Women across the country vowed to wear Converse sneakers —specifically the Chuck Taylor versions Harris loves so much—and/or pearls for Inauguration Day, in honor of the nation's first...
Dec 29, 2020 7:55 AM CST
Adieu to a French Fashion Icon
Pierre Cardin, whose name graced everything from watches to bedsheets, is dead at 98
- France's Academy of Fine Arts says Pierre Cardin, the French designer whose Space Age style was among the iconic looks of 20th-century fashion, has died at 98. The academy announced his death in a tweet Tuesday, per the AP . His family tells AFP that he died at the American...
He Heads a $23B Fashion Site.
He's Walking Away for His Wife
Dec 7, 2020 8:49 AM CST
He Heads a $23B Fashion Site. He's Walking Away for His Wife
Rubin Ritter, co-CEO of EU e-commerce giant Zalando, wants to prioritize his spouse's career
- Rubin Ritter's contract with Europe's largest fashion site isn't set to expire for two-plus years. But a surprise announcement Sunday from the 38-year-old co-CEO of the Berlin-based Zalando indicates he has other plans for the near future—ones that include letting his spouse's career take center...
Cover Makes History
Nov 14, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Cover Makes History
Harry Styles is the first solo male to make American Vogue's cover
- Harry Styles, in a Gucci ballgown?
has it, on the cover no less—the first time a man has graced the 127-year-old magazine's cover all by himself,
reports. "Clothes are there to have fun with and experiment with and play with. What's really...
Fending Off the Virus
Just Got Fancy
Sep 14, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Fending Off the Virus Just Got Fancy
Louis Vuitton will make a $1K face shield
- "An eye-catching headpiece, both stylish and protective" is in the works, courtesy of Louis Vuitton and meant to help keep COVID-19 at bay, but it won't come cheap. Per the
New York Post
, the fashion house's new plastic face shield, which is part of the brand's...
In New Suit, 'Scandal That
Could Tarnish the Gucci Name'
Sep 10, 2020 7:07 AM CDT
In New Suit, 'Scandal That Could Tarnish the Gucci Name'
Heir Alexandra Zarini says stepdad sexually abused her
- A lawsuit that threatens to sully the Gucci name has been filed in California Superior Court in Los Angeles. Alexandra Zarini, the 35-year-old great-granddaughter of Gucci founder Guccio Gucci, says her former stepfather sexually abused her from when she was about 6 to age 22. She accuses Joseph Ruffalo of...
a Big Brand
Jun 27, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Kanye Strikes 10-Year Deal That Might Just Save a Big Brand
The singer-songwriter joins forces with the Gap
- "He just might make Gap cool again." That's how TMZ describes a new 10-year deal between Kanye West and the Gap to forge a clothing line. The mall brand and Kanye's company, Yeezy, say the new "Yeezy Gap" line will provide "modern, elevated basics...
Former Right-Hand Man:
Wintour Gave Me 'Scars'
Apr 24, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
Former Right-Hand Man: Wintour Gave Me 'Scars'
Andre Leon Talley tells of 'huge emotional and psychological scars' in new book
- It was the 2003 novel
The Devil Wears Prada
, written by a former assistant of Anna Wintour, that cast the
editor-in-chief as a nightmare. Almost two decades later, a new book from her former right-hand man reportedly confirms some of the narrative. In a memoir that will be out...
Canada Goose Makes
a Big Change on Fur
Apr 22, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Canada Goose Makes a Big Change on Fur
Parka maker says it will only buy 'reclaimed' fur
- After years of pressure from PETA and other groups, Canada Goose says it is making a big change on the use of coyote fur in its luxury parkas—but it's not being eliminated. Instead, the company says that starting in 2022, it will no longer buy "virgin" fur...
Apr 15, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Witherspoon Wanted to Help Teachers. It Backfired
One million educators applied for a free Draper James dress; there were only 250 available
- Reese Witherspoon said she wanted "to show teachers a little extra love" in offering free dresses through her fashion line, Draper James, earlier this month, per
. But love is hardly what teachers are feeling following the promotion, described as a way to honor those who are "working...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.