Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Giant Panda Gives Birth to
Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Sep 6, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Giant Panda Gives Birth to Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Hua Zuiba has already had four cubs with Bing Xing
- The world just got a few ounces cuter. Hua Zuiba, a giant panda on loan to the Madrid Zoo from China, gave birth Monday morning to twins. Hua Zuiba and Bing Xing, the father of the twins, have four other adorable offspring, including another pair of twins, per the AP...
For Giant Panda,
It's a Girl ... and
Aug 2, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
For Giant Panda, It's a Girl ... and Another Girl!
Huan Huan, on loan from China to France, is the new mom of twins
- Happy news on the giant-panda front: One such panda on loan to France from China gave birth to twin female cubs early Monday, per the AP . "They are very lively, pink, and plump," says the Beauval Zoo, south of Paris. The cubs weigh 5.3 ounces and 4....
Big News for
China's Giant Pandas
Jul 9, 2021 2:02 PM CDT
Big News for China's Giant Pandas
They're now considered a vulnerable species in the wild, not endangered
- Giant pandas outside of captivity in China just saw a status upgrade. Thanks to conservation efforts, they're no longer considered an endangered species, but a vulnerable one, reports the
, which notes there are about 1,800 pandas currently in the country's wild. Environment Ministry rep Cui Shuhong...
on Panda Birth:
'I Was Relieved,'
Jun 23, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Zoo Director on Panda Birth: 'I Was Relieved,' Then 'Shocked'
Japan's Ueno Zoo welcomes its first twin panda cubs
- Japan's oldest zoo was one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country before closing for five months due to the pandemic. Shortly after reopening, it's suddenly even more attractive. In a surprise, a giant panda at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo gave birth to twins early Wednesday....
Researchers Figure Out Why
Pandas Like Horse Manure
Dec 10, 2020 2:17 PM CST
Researchers Figure Out Why Pandas Like Horse Manure
Compounds in dung seem to keep them warm in chilly weather, study suggests
- It isn't an Earth-shattering revelation, but a Chinese study has uncovered what could be chilling news for some: pandas appear to smear themselves with feces to stay warm. According to the
, scientists who were curious about a behavior seen in some giant pandas set up cameras in 2016...
Cub' at DC's
Aug 22, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Giant Panda Delivers 'Miracle' Cub' at DC's National Zoo
Mei Xiang, 22, is oldest giant panda in US to give birth, also first to do so in US using frozen semen
- "A precious giant panda cub has arrived!" That was the excited tweet Friday evening from the National Zoo in Washington, DC, announcing the birth of what the
calls a "miracle cub." Giant panda Mei Xiang, 22, delivered a "wonderful, wiggly cub" at 6:...
May 14, 2020 4:38 PM CDT
Calgary Sending Pandas Home
With flights canceled, zoo can't get enough good bamboo for them to eat
- Two giant pandas scheduled to stay in Canada for three more years are instead headed back to China. Because of the pandemic shutdown, the CBC reports, the Calgary Zoo said it's having problems getting shipments of imported bamboo. "This is too much stress on my team and on...
At Least Someone's Getting
Busy During Quarantine
Apr 7, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
At Least Someone's Getting Busy During Quarantine
Giant pandas in Hong Kong zoo mate naturally for first time after a decade of trying
- The story is a little more involved than the headline implies, but the
New York Times
neatly wraps up what just went down in Hong Kong: "Some Giant Pandas Had Sex." Per CNN , the Ocean Park zoo in Hong Kong has been shut down for a coronavirus quarantine...
This Has Never
Seen in the Wild
May 27, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
This Has Never Before Been Seen in the Wild
Fully albino giant panda spotted in Chinese forest
- Chinese researchers believe they've captured the first footage of a fully albino giant panda in the wild. The panda, believed to be a year or two old, was spotted on an infrared camera some 6,500 feet above sea level in Sichuan's Wolong National Nature Reserve in April....
Giant Pandas Getting
National Park That
Mar 9, 2018 4:25 PM CST
Giant Pandas Getting National Park That Dwarfs Yellowstone
Giant Panda National Park to be built in China by 2023
- China's giant pandas will soon have a national park over twice the size of Yellowstone in which to mingle and mate, the AP reports. China's foreign ministry announced Thursday that the Bank of China will provide at least $1.5 billion toward Giant Panda National Park. The conservation...
France Sees First-Ever
Panda Birth, Death
Aug 5, 2017 7:58 AM CDT
France Sees First-Ever Panda Birth, Death
Only one of Huan Huan's twins survived
- Chinese giant panda experts and French zookeepers are working to ensure a panda cub's survival after its twin died during the first-ever birth of the rare animal in France. Images released Saturday by the Beauval Zoo south of Paris show mother Huan Huan enveloping the cub and zoo handlers...
National Zoo Says Last
Goodbye to Bao Bao
Feb 21, 2017 8:02 AM CST
National Zoo Says Last Goodbye to Bao Bao
Panda cub leaves DC to take part in breeding program in China
- The National Zoo in Washington is saying a final goodbye to its panda cub Bao Bao. The zoo is packing up the US-born panda for a one-way flight Tuesday to China, where the 3-year-old will eventually join a breeding program, the AP reports. Bao Bao is scheduled to leave the...
Oct 16, 2016 12:58 PM CDT
World's Oldest Captive Panda Has Died
Jia Jia was 38, thought to be oldest ever held in captivity
- A Hong Kong theme park says the world's oldest-ever panda in captivity has been euthanized because her health was deteriorating, reports the AP . Ocean Park says a veterinarian euthanized 38-year-old Jia Jia on Sunday to prevent further suffering and for ethical reasons. Guinness World Records recognized Jia Jia as...
Pandas Now Off
the Endangered List
Sep 5, 2016 2:29 AM CDT
Pandas Now Off the Endangered List
They're now listed as 'vulnerable,' WWF says
- The animal on the World Wildlife Fund 's logo now represents a rare and very welcome environmental success story. The group says the giant panda has been bumped down a notch in the Red List of Threatened Species and is now classed as "vulnerable" instead of "endangered,...
Study Shows Why
Dec 19, 2015 4:00 PM CST
Study Shows Why Giant Pandas Need Tinder
Mutual attraction drastically increases the likelihood of panda babies
- The scientist who invents a Tinder for giant pandas may just single-handedly save the endangered species. A study published Tuesday in
found that pandas are much more likely to successfully mate when they're attracted to each other. It seems like an obvious conclusion, and that's why...
National Zoo's Baby Panda
Is No Shrinking Violet
Dec 16, 2015 11:14 AM CST
National Zoo's Baby Panda Is No Shrinking Violet
Bei Bei is performing well ahead of his public debut
- If the youngest giant panda cub at the National Zoo is stressed out about appearing in front of crowds for the first time, he isn't showing it. Keepers were expecting Bei Bei to squawk and squirm during an audience with a small media contingent Monday. Instead, he quickly fell...
We Now Know the
Panda Cub's Gender
Aug 28, 2015 9:34 AM CDT
We Now Know the Panda Cub's Gender
Surviving panda twin is a male: National Zoo
- The National Zoo's panda parents, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, have a son. The zoo announced this morning that the surviving panda cub is male and the son of the zoo's male panda, Tian Tian. Mei Xiang gave birth to fraternal twins Saturday, but the smaller cub—also...
Panda Mom Is Ignoring
One of Her New Cubs
Aug 26, 2015 9:20 AM CDT
Panda Mom Is Ignoring One of Her New Cubs
Smaller cub in care of vets is having digestive issues
- Workers at the National Zoo are continuing to care for one panda cub while the other is safely in the care of its mother—but it appears Mei Xiang has decided she is "not a willing participant" in the zoo's swapping program , reports
. Since the twin cubs'...
Aug 22, 2015 5:17 PM CDT
National Zoo's Giant Panda Gives Birth
Mei Xiang is a mom again
- Great news out of the National Zoo in Washington this afternoon: The giant panda Mei Xiang gave birth at 5:34pm, the zoo announced via tweet . No word yet on the gender. The
notes that Mei Xiang has given birth to four other cubs since 2005, two of...
Inside the Insanely
Tricky Process of
Aug 20, 2015 9:44 AM CDT
Inside the Insanely Tricky Process of Breeding Pandas
Cross your fingers: a panda cub could be on the way
- Congratulations are in order for the National Zoo's female giant panda—or so veterinarians hope based on an ultrasound yesterday: Mei Xiang is presumably pregnant. Experts are cautious as the 1.5-inch-long fetus could still be reabsorbed or the panda could miscarry. Research vet Pierre Comizzoli says the ultrasound...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.