Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
People Are Calling Uber Instead of Ambulances, Study Finds
Uber isn't thrilled, but researchers say it could be a good thing
- People are increasingly taking Uber instead of ambulances to get to the hospital, new research suggests. For a (non-peer-reviewed) research paper released Wednesday, economics professor David Slusky and Dr. Leon Moskatel looked at ambulance usage in 766 US cities upon the arrival of Uber from 2013 to 2015. Slusky tells...
Paramedics Clap Back at Angry Note Left on Ambulance
"Sometimes we just don't know quite what to say"
- "You may be saving lives but don't park your van in a stupid place and block my drive." So read a note left on an ambulance while paramedics were responding to a patient in critical condition in Birmingham, England, the BBC reports. Shocked by the message’...
Drunk Man Jumps Out of Ambulance, Sues Medics
He says they should have stopped him
- A New York City man who says the city didn't do enough to keep him from drunkenly jumping out of the back of a moving ambulance has filed a lawsuit, the AP reports. Yaugeni Kralkin says he was intoxicated last June when he was picked up by EMTs. According...
Fast-Thinking 4-Year-Old Saves Mom With Siri
He uses her thumb to unlock phone, then summons help
- A tech-savvy 4-year-old boy saved his mother’s life by unlocking her iPhone with her thumbprint and using Siri to call an ambulance when she became unresponsive. The BBC reports that during the emergency call in south London, the boy identified as Roman thought his mother had already died, saying...
NY EMT Dead After Being Run Over by Own Ambulance
Mother of 5 killed in the line of duty
- An FDNY EMT was killed in the line of duty Thursday evening when she was hit and dragged for at least 15 feet by her own ambulance, police say. Yadira Arroyo, a 44-year-old mother of five, and colleague Monique Williams were on their way to a call about a pregnant...
Man Makes Poor Choice After Ambulance Blocks His Car
Police say Matthew Duval tried to move the emergency vehicle himself
- Authorities say a New Hampshire man was arrested after he tried to move a parked ambulance that was blocking his car. Matthew Duval was charged Tuesday with disorderly conduct and unauthorized use of a vehicle, the AP reports. According to WMUR , firefighters and paramedics were inside a home helping a...
Jockey Kicked in Face by Horse, Then Luck Gets Even Worse
Ambulance runs over Chris Meehan's leg, breaks it
- You might think that, once you've gotten kicked in the face by a horse, nothing worse is likely to happen to you on that particular day. Not so for Northern Irish jockey Chris Meehan, who got a gash on the jaw and a broken nose after falling from his...
After Baby Stops Breathing, 'Hey Siri' Comes to Rescue
Aussie mom used voice-activated feature to call ambulance as she performed CPR
- An Aussie mom recently penned a heartfelt thank-you note to Apple, and her story of how the company's "Hey Siri" feature helped save her 1-year-old daughter is now making the rounds. Per 9to5mac.com , Stacey Gleeson noticed her daughter, Giana, wasn't breathing back in March, and as...
Cops: Woman Gets in Police Chase in Stolen Ambulance
And it ends in a fiery crash
- Paramedics leaving a San Francisco apartment building with their patient Tuesday morning were shocked to find their ambulance missing, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. They had left it running when they went inside. Police used a tracking device inside the ambulance to catch up with it a short time later....
Guy Busted With DUI in Stolen Ambulance
That's not the only odd DUI charge this week
- If you're bored on the University of Rochester campus after the bars let out, don't do as this student did: Police say 22-year-old Robert Cordaro Jr. hopped into a Rural Metro ambulance around 2:20am Thursday and drove a quarter of a mile until he crashed into a...
Patient Flees Ambulance, Is Hit and Killed in Traffic
He ran across 5 lanes of traffic, then back into traffic
- A patient bolted from an ambulance, ran across five lanes of traffic, and was struck and killed by cars, shutting down early morning traffic Monday on one of metro Atlanta's busiest interstates. The ambulance was transporting the patient to Grady Memorial Hospital for an evaluation shortly before 4:45am...
Cleveland Mayor Apologizes for Ambulance Bill Sent to Tamir Rice
It was apparently a miscommunication
- Cleveland is sorry for sending an ambulance bill to the family of Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old fatally shot by a city police officer while he held a pellet gun. After news broke of the $500 claim filed against Rice's estate, Mayor Frank Jackson apologized Thursday, Cleveland 19 reports. The...
Ambulance Service to 500K People Abruptly Shutters
And hundreds are left without jobs
- Residents in six states are scrambling for medical transportation after First Med EMS, a private ambulance service that served more than 500,000 patients a year, shut down with no warning Friday. The company was based in North Carolina and also served areas in Kentucky, Ohio (where it was the...
Man Hijacks Ambulance —With Patient Inside
No one hurt in bizarre incident
- Let's say traffic is backed up on the highway, and you're a gun-toting would-be carjacker in a hurry. What car do you grab? If you're a quick thinker like Brian Timothy Kada Jr., you carjack an ambulance and make everyone get out of your way. That's...
Guy Needs Ride Home, Steals Ambulance
Police say he was heading home from ... the police department
- Here's how you take your arrest on an open container charge and snowball it into something much, much worse: Steal an ambulance to get home from the police department. That's what Cesar Garcia is accused of doing after he received the misdemeanor citation yesterday morning and was released...
Big Problem for Air Ambulances: Huge Patients
Providers have to upgrade helicopters or reject patients
- Emergency medical providers across America are being forced to get bigger, stronger helicopters to deal with rising numbers of patients too heavy to be carried in the current helicopters—or too big to fit in the aircraft, NBC reports. Around 1% of patients who need medical air flights, or about...
Dad Dies Waiting for Ambulance, Son Gets Billed
Washington, DC, man feels 'angry, upset'
- Durand Ford, Jr's father died before an ambulance arrived to take him to the hospital. Then the Ford family received an ambulance bill: $780.85. "I feel angry. Upset," Ford tells NBC Washington . "I'm disturbed that we even received the bill." The Washington, DC,...
Woman Raped by Paramedic —in Ambulance: Cops
22-year-old was being taken to hospital after falling
- Yet another truly horrific Christmas Day story: A Connecticut woman was raped in the wee hours of Dec. 25, say police—by the paramedic who was dispatched to help her after she fell at a holiday party. Police say the 22-year-old woman suffered a head injury and lost consciousness around...
Man Dies in Hospital Parking Lot ...
As police helping him are told to call 911, wait for ambulance
- Birgilio Marin-Fuentes drove himself to an Oregon hospital early Thursday morning because he was coughing and couldn’t sleep, and he almost made it—but he crashed his car into a pillar and wall in the medical center parking garage. After 20 minutes, police found him and started CPR, as...
Insurgents Strike Iraqi Police With Ambulance Bomb
Latest in string of attacks on security forces, gov't, Christians
- A suicide bomber blew up an ambulance filled with explosives outside a police headquarters in Diyala Province today, in the latest in a string of insurgent attacks. The bomb killed five and wounded 76, leaving a seven-foot-wide crater in its wake. “We felt that life was over and it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Plans White House Surprise
Monolith in Utah Desert Disappears
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
Ex-Trump Campaign Aide Files Suit Over 'Spying'
Assassination Complicates Biden's Plans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.