Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K:
'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Oct 19, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K: 'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Silver medal won by Germany's Luz Long, who embraced gold winner Jesse Owens at '36 Games
- The silver medal captured by Luz Long, the German long jumper who befriended Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, sold at auction for more than $488,000, a sum the auction house said was a record price for a publicly sold second-place prize. Long walked arm in arm...
I Was Attacked
With Metal Pipe
Jul 12, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
US Olympian: I Was Attacked With Metal Pipe
Kim Glass says she suffered facial fractures in encounter with random 'homeless man' in LA
- Former US Olympian Kim Glass is warning people to keep their heads on a swivel while out and about in Los Angeles after a man attacked her with a metal pipe. The 6-foot-3 volleyball player and 2008 Olympic silver medalist posted a series of videos to Instagram over the weekend,...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
He Had Gold in His Sights After
COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Feb 16, 2022 11:49 AM CST
He Had Gold in His Sights After COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Wrong turn likely cost Jarl Magnus Riiber a medal in Nordic combined
- Expectations were high for Jarl Magnus Riiber going into the Winter Olympics. "He's probably going to go down as the best Nordic combined skier ever," NBC analyst Johnny Spillane said, per the
Wall Street Journal
. "If he has a good day, he's pretty much unstoppable....
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
FBI Has Ominous
Advice for Olympians
Feb 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
FBI Has Ominous Advice for Olympians
Bureau tells athletes to use burner phones, warns of 'malicious cyber activities' in China
- The FBI is urging Olympic athletes to use burner phones while in China over fears that they might otherwise be tracked. "The FBI urges all athletes to keep their personal cell phones at home and use a temporary phone while at the Games," the agency says. It adds...
China Loves This Olympian.
America Has Mixed Feelings
Feb 1, 2022 12:17 PM CST
China Loves This Olympian. America Has Mixed Feelings
18-year-old Eileen Gu, born and raised in US, will compete for China as its best chance for gold
- Eileen Gu "is, without debate, the most dominant woman in freeskiing," per ESPN . The 18-year-old San Francisco native is therefore the favorite to win gold in big air, halfpipe, and slopestyle freestyle skiing events at the Beijing Olympics. But if she does, those medals won't be counted...
Oct 15, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
'Prime Suspect' in Olympian's Murder Arrested
Emmanuel Rotich, husband of runner Agnes Tirop, was detained in Mombasa, Kenya
The husband of a Kenyan long-distance runner who competed in the Tokyo Olympics and was found murdered this week has been arrested. The BBC reports that Emmanuel Rotich was detained in Mombasa on Thursday, a day after 25-year-old Agnes Tirop was found dead in her bed, as he was...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
'I Wish She Had
Dead at 24
Aug 11, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
'I Wish She Had Said Something': Ex-Olympic Cyclist Dead at 24
Earlier on the day of her death, Olivia Podmore posted a since-deleted Instagram post
- On Monday, former Olympic cyclist Olivia Podmore posted a since-deleted Instagram post that talked about the pressures faced by top athletes. By Monday evening, the 24-year-old from New Zealand was dead. A police rep told Reuters that police were called to "a sudden death" at a property in Waikato...
Out of Biles'
Shadow, a New
for Team USA
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM CDT
Out of Biles' Shadow, a New Gold Medalist for Team USA
18-year-old gymnast Suni Lee of Minnesota takes top honors at women's all-around finals
- Much of the talk of late regarding women's gymnastics at the Summer Olympics has centered on the US' Simone Biles , who dropped out of multiple events to focus on her mental health, but one of her teammates just earned her own big headline. Sunisa Lee, 18, took home the...
Jul 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Biles Experienced a Gymnast's 'Worst Nightmare’
Gymnasts speak out on the dangers of the 'twisties'
- In describing the shaky landing of her Tuesday vault routine at the Tokyo Olympics—after which Simone Biles withdrew from the team and all-around individual competitions —the world's most decorated gymnast said she'd had "a little bit of the twisties." Considering she was attempting to...
Jul 28, 2021 9:46 AM CDT
Olympian in Quarantine Blasts 'Inhuman' Living Conditions
Dutch skateboarder Candy Jacobs decries lack of fresh air at hotel, calls it 'mentally super draining'
- An Olympic skateboarder who was put in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 called the conditions at the hotel "inhuman" on Wednesday. Candy Jacobs has been in isolation for eight days and missed the street event in skateboarding's debut as an Olympic sport, per the AP . She said...
For This Former Olympian,
It's a Trip to Prison
Jul 27, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
For This Former Olympian, It's a Trip to Prison
Australia's Nathan Baggaley sentenced to 25 years for 2018 cocaine-smuggling plot
- A two-time Olympic silver medalist and three-time world kayaking champion has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in a failed $150 million cocaine-smuggling plot. Australia's Nathan Baggaley, 45, and his brother Dru, 39, were convicted in April of attempting to smuggle 650 kilograms of cocaine...
Jul 21, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Why Some Olympic Athletes Are Sporting Tourniquets
Blood flow restriction is an in-vogue training technique, according to the 'NYT'
- Not a sentence you'd expect to read in relation to the Olympics: "This year, the hot thing appears to be tourniquets." But that's exactly what the
New York Times
proclaims in looking at the trendy training/recovery method some of this Games' athletes have adopted. The idea...
This NZ Weightlifter
Is an Olympic First
Jun 21, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
This NZ Weightlifter Is an Olympic First
Laurel Hubbard, headed to Tokyo, will be the first transgender athlete to compete in the games
- New Zealand has announced it's sending five weightlifters to the Tokyo Games next month, and one of them in particular is making headlines for her groundbreaking Olympic debut. CNN reports that Laurel Hubbard will be the games' first transgender athlete, competing in the women's super-heavyweight 87-kilo category after...
to Receive 160K
Jun 18, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Olympic Athletes to Receive 160K Condoms. There's One Problem
Games organizers forbid sex in Olympic Village amid pandemic, tell athletes to bring condoms home
- If Olympic athletes preparing to descend on Tokyo for the delayed 2020 Games were thinking of getting some side action while they're there (i.e., having sex), they'll have to rethink those plans. Per the
, the International Olympic Committee has laid down the law for those staying...
World's Fastest Man Will
Miss Tokyo Olympics
Apr 16, 2021 3:54 AM CDT
World's Fastest Man Will Miss Tokyo Olympics
Panel refuses to overturn Christian Coleman ban
- The fastest man in the world, American sprinter Christian Coleman, will miss the Tokyo Olympics after failing Friday in an appeal to overturn his ban for missing doping tests . The Court of Arbitration for Sport did cut the 100-meter world champion’s ban from two years to 18 months, but...
Olympics Figure Skater
Dies at 20 in Moscow
Jul 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Olympics Figure Skater Dies at 20 in Moscow
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya was born in Russia but won a world junior title for Australia
- A former figure skating champion who was born in Russia but skated for Australia has died in Moscow at the age of 20, CNN reports. Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya's death was confirmed Saturday by skating officials , but no cause was given. A pairs' figure skater, Alexandrovskaya obtained Australian citizenship in 2016...
Jul 8, 2020 12:01 PM CDT
World Champion Snowboarder Drowns
Alex Pullin had been spearfishing off Gold Coast
- Australia is mourning one of its greatest-ever winter athletes. Alex "Chumpy" Pullin drowned Wednesday while spearfishing on an artificial reef off Queensland's Gold Coast, the BBC reports. The 32-year-old, a two-time world snowboarding champion, was Australia's flag-bearer at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics. He was spotted unconscious...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.