Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Surfside Condo Collapse,
an 'Abhorrent' Alleged Crime
Sep 9, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
After Surfside Condo Collapse, an 'Abhorrent' Alleged Crime
3 are charged with stealing the identities of 7 victims following shopping sprees
- Two women and a man allegedly stole the identities of seven victims of the condominium collapse in Surfside, Fla. , in the days after the tragedy and spent thousands of dollars on shoes and a Versace purse. Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle described the suspects—Betsy Alexandra Cacho-Medina, 30; her...
Mistakenly Released From Jail
Sep 2, 2021 9:13 AM CDT
Lookalike Inmate Mistakenly Released From Jail
Search is on for Ellen Goble in Randolph County, Mo.
- Authorities in Missouri are searching for a woman who was mistaken for another inmate and wrongly released from jail over the weekend. Ellen Goble—who was held in Randolph County Jail on charges of resisting arrest, burglary, drug possession, and operating a vehicle without a valid license—looked almost identical...
Scope of Unemployment Fraud
in Pandemic Is Staggering
Jun 10, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
Scope of Unemployment Fraud in Pandemic Is Staggering
Axios reports that half of benefits, totaling hundreds of billions of dollars, might have been stolen
- Stories about rampant fraud related to unemployment benefits paid out during the pandemic have been percolating for a while. The AP reported in March that states were being overwhelmed by bogus claims. Earlier this week, WBTW noted that the FTC has logged 400,000 complaints so far from people who...
Stealing From Star
Feb 12, 2021 12:02 PM CST
Kevin Hart's Personal Shopper Charged With Stealing From Star
Dylan Jason Syer accused of spending $1M on himself
- Kevin Hart's former personal shopper apparently thought "personal" applied to himself. Dylan Jason Syer of Long Island City, NY, is facing up to 25 years in prison after allegedly stealing more than $1 million from the actor, the BBC reports. Syer, who ran the personal shopper business Sire...
Funds to Tune of $11.4B
Jan 26, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Calif.: Criminals Raided Unemployment Funds to Tune of $11.4B
State's labor secretary says hackers, other criminals may have stolen an additional $20B
- From March of last year to the middle of January, California paid out some $114 billion in unemployment benefits. Now, the state's labor secretary, Julie Su, has some alarming news on about $11.4 billion, or 10%, of that figure—those payments were fraudulent, stolen by hackers, identity thieves,...
Ohio Man Sentenced for
Impersonating Missing Boy
Dec 16, 2020 1:50 PM CST
Ohio Man Sentenced for Impersonating Missing Boy
Prosecutors said Brian Rini caused Timmothy Pitzen's family 'enormous pain'
- An Ohio man who caused fresh heartbreak for the family of a long-missing boy has been sentenced to 2 years in prison for aggravated identity theft. Brian Rini, now 25, was 23 years old when he claimed to be 14-year-old Timmothy Pitzen , an Illinois boy who has been missing since...
Found a Way
to Rob Rich
Aug 24, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
'Slick' Pair Found a Way to Rob Rich Celebrities: LAPD
Benjamin Ackerman and Jason Emil Yaselli could serve over 31 years each
- If this story's true, "slick" is really the word. Police say a Beverly Hills man and a real estate agent conspired to steal from high-end homes—including celebrities Usher and Adam Lambert—and spent the money partly on credit-card debt, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Benjamin Eitan Ackerman...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
FEMA Struck by
a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Mar 23, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
FEMA Struck by a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Agency disclosed sensitive data of more than 2M disaster survivors, per DHS IG report
- Survivors may still be picking up the pieces after the natural disasters that have swept across the country over the past couple of years, and now they have a new issue to contend with: the possibility of identity theft thanks to what the Federal Emergency Management Agency is calling a...
Parents Stole Kids' Identities,
Racked Up Debt, Police Say
Nov 15, 2018 6:30 PM CST
Parents Stole Kids' Identities, Racked Up Debt, Police Say
The mom and dad are in jail
- New York State Police say a couple racked up nearly $10,000 in unpaid utility bills and credit card debts using the man's son's name, destroying his credit rating, the AP reports. Authorities say 44-year-old Thomas Cash and his wife, 39-year-old Alisha Cash, were arrested in Madison County,...
America's Oldest Man
Robbed of His Savings
Jun 30, 2018 1:20 PM CDT
America's Oldest Man Robbed of His Savings
Thieves stole Richard Overton's identity and broke into his bank account
- Richard Overton is something of a celebrity in Austin, Texas, because the 112-year-old WWII veteran is the oldest living man in America. He now has a new distinction: the oldest American to be robbed of his savings, reports
. Family members recently learned that an unidentified thief used Overton's...
Answers in One Mystery
Lead to More Questions
Jun 22, 2018 10:12 AM CDT
Answers in One Mystery Lead to More Questions
Could Robert Ivan Nichols be the Zodiac Killer?
- What appeared to be a straightforward suicide case morphed into what's been called "one of northeast Ohio's biggest mysteries," involving a long-dead boy, identity theft, and a war hero turned deadbeat dad. Now, per the
, the cold case has been (somewhat) solved, largely thanks...
Someone Stole Her ID. She
Went to Jail for 49 Days
Jun 8, 2018 1:02 PM CDT
Someone Stole Her ID. She Went to Jail for 49 Days
Joy Morales is suing over her false imprisonment in New Mexico
- A New Mexico woman wrongly jailed for weeks in two states after someone stole her identity is suing a New Mexico county and a city that ignored her pleas that they had the wrong person, reports the AP . The
reports lawyers for Joy Morales recently filed a lawsuit...
Man Who Vanished in 1993
Must Pay Family He Left $2M
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2018 6:42 AM CDT
Man Who Vanished in 1993 Must Pay Family He Left $2M
Judge orders Richard Hoagland to pay back child support, with plenty of interest
- Matthew Hoagland turned 35 a few weeks ago, but when his father went up to him to say happy birthday, "I told him this was not the time or the place," Matthew says. The place was an Indiana court, where Richard Hoagland had to appear for a hearing...
Their Info Was in ICE's Hands.
Bigwig Is Accused of Stealing It
Feb 14, 2018 8:16 AM CST
Their Info Was in ICE's Hands. Bigwig Is Accused of Stealing It
Raphael Sanchez, chief counsel for Seattle's ICE office, has been indicted
- The lead attorney for Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Seattle office abruptly resigned Monday, with an indictment charging him with wire fraud and identity theft handed down the same day. The identities Raphael A. Sanchez is accused of stealing, per BuzzFeed : those of seven immigrants whose cases the agency was...
He's 4 Years Old
Feb 3, 2018 7:33 AM CST
Kevin Barnaby's Credit Stinks. He's 4 Years Old
BuzzFeed looks at the hazy and thorny issue of child identity theft
- Like a lot of Americans, Kevin Barnaby Jr.'s credit is messed up. The difference in his case is that he's a 4-year-old with two Capital One credit card accounts. Writing for BuzzFeed , Leticia Miranda uses his story as a launchpad from which to dive into the hazy...
Cops: Unpaid Waffle House Bill
Exposed ID Theft Ring
Oct 20, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Cops: Unpaid Waffle House Bill Exposed ID Theft Ring
Suspects skipped out on $7 bill
- Police in Louisiana have uncovered a sophisticated, Los Angeles-based identity theft ring, thanks to two men who skipped out on their $7 Waffle House bill, authorities say. Waffle House employees called police Saturday, saying two men had stiffed the restaurant and driven away in a U-Haul van. Investigators were still...
in This State
Oct 18, 2017 11:46 AM CDT
Identity Theft, Fraud Worst in This State
- Given the recent Equifax security breach —alongside a 630% increase in data breaches in the past year, according to one report —identity theft is bound to be a concern for many Americans. But it turns out the state you call home has a lot to do with your...
He Died in 1972, Turned Up
Alive and Well on Ancestry.com
Apr 13, 2017 3:03 AM CDT
He Died in 1972, Turned Up Alive and Well on Ancestry.com
Police investigating identity theft case in Pennsylvania
- In 1996, prosecutors say a young man escaped a halfway house in Texas, went to a cemetery, picked the name of a person born close to his birth date, tracked down that person's birth certificate, and began a second life as Nathan Laskoski. The ruse worked spectacularly for two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Michael Madsen: Son's Death Is 'Mind-Blowing'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.