Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant
Inmates Into Early Labor
Jan 5, 2023 9:15 AM CST
Report: Prison Forces Pregnant Inmates Into Early Labor
3 prisoners at Arizona's Perryville facility claim that forced inductions are prison policy
- Three female inmates have lobbed an eyebrow-raising accusation against the Arizona prison where they're incarcerated. The three women say that when they were pregnant at the Perryville facility outside of Phoenix, they had labor induced against their will, and medical records seen by the
confirm that all...
Outrage After Maternity Nurses
Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Dec 11, 2022 3:00 PM CST
Outrage After Maternity Nurses Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Emory University Hospital Midtown refers to 'former employees' in statement
- Complaining about your job with co-workers is pretty typical, but four labor and delivery nurses who made a TikTok video airing their gripes may have lost their jobs over it. NBC News reports the nurses at Emory University Hospital Midtown made a video in which they sounded off about what...
Think Your Fetus Liked That
Salad You Ate? Check the Scan
Sep 23, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Think Your Fetus Liked That Salad You Ate? Check the Scan
Ultrasound facial expressions differed depending on if moms-to-be were given kale or carrot capsules
- New moms often insist that their infants respond positively to the same music they used to hear in the womb—could the same go for food that their mothers ate while they were still in utero? Scientists out of the UK's Durham University are now wondering the same, after...
Jailed Here for
Drugs Have Only
One Way Out
Sep 11, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Pregnant Women Jailed Here for Drugs Have Only One Way Out
They're kept behind bars in Etowah County, Ala., unless they go to rehab, pay $10K
- Multiple pregnant women or new moms are behind bars in an Alabama prison after being arrested for drug use, and they're being kept there for "weeks or months" on end under "special conditions," per AL.com . The outlet reports that the women involved, accused of exposing...
Her Pregnancy. Then,
Feb 18, 2022 8:10 AM CST
She Announced Her Pregnancy. Then, 'Something Baffling'
Ga. government worker indicted after allegedly faking she was with child for paid leave
- It seems it would be an elaborate scheme to fake one pregnancy, let alone several. But that's exactly what a government worker in Georgia is accused of doing, allegedly to secure paid time off. A release out of the state's Office of the Inspector General says 43-year-old Robin...
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend
a Day After Her Ultrasound
Nov 23, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend a Day After Her Ultrasound
Kwanmaine Boyd reportedly said 'he did not want any more children'
- A Texas man is charged with killing his girlfriend one day after an ultrasound confirmed she was pregnant. Cavanna Smith, a 25-year-old teacher, was found to be about four and a half weeks pregnant at an Oct. 5 ultrasound appointment, which her sister, Brittany Wilson, attended. Smith was nervous and...
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading
Gifts From Her Baby Shower
Nov 22, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Woman Fatally Shot Unloading Gifts From Her Baby Shower
7-months-pregnant Jessica Covington ambushed during 'heinous crime' in Philly
- A mom-to-be's weekend celebration ended in tragedy after she was fatally gunned down in Philadelphia. According to the city's police department, the seven-months-pregnant woman—IDed by sources as Jessica Covington, 32, per CBS Philly —was outside her home around 8:30pm Saturday, unloading gifts out of her...
After Mom's 'Beautiful' Baby
Shower, Tragedy at Her Home
Sep 13, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
After Mom's 'Beautiful' Baby Shower, Tragedy at Her Home
Cops: Shanice Young gunned down by ex after he confronted her, new boyfriend
- A day of celebration turned tragic over the weekend for a New York woman after her own baby shower. NBC New York reports that 31-year-old Shanice Young, a mom of two who was pregnant with her third, was headed home early Sunday after the party in her honor, bearing gifts...
Nurse, Unborn Baby
Aug 25, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
COVID Battle Kills Unvaccinated Nurse, Unborn Baby
Family now wishes Alabama's Haley Richardson had been vaccinated
- A widower in Alabama is urging pregnant women to get vaccinated against COVID-19 after losing his wife and unborn daughter to the virus. Haley Richardson, a 32-year-old labor and delivery nurse from Theodore, Ala., fell ill after testing positive for COVID-19 at the end of July when she was nearly...
May 21, 2021 7:50 AM CDT
Murder Charges Dropped Against Mom Who Had Stillbirth
Calif. judge says not enough proof Chelsea Becker knew her meth use might harm fetus
- In September 2019, 26-year-old Chelsea Becker, who was 8 1/2 months pregnant, delivered a stillborn baby. Two months later, she was arrested and charged with murder, accused of taking meth just days before her stillbirth. Those charges have now been dismissed, with a California judge ruling that prosecutors didn't...
She Didn't Think
She Could Get
in case you missed it
Apr 4, 2021 9:53 AM CDT
She Didn't Think She Could Get Pregnant While Pregnant. Wrong
UK woman gives birth to rare superfetation 'super twins,' conceived 3 weeks apart
- Rebecca Roberts' first shock when she went for an ultrasound at around 12 weeks during her pregnancy was finding out she was having twins. The second shock was more of a mystery: Doctors were baffled as to why one of the UK woman's fetuses was much bigger than the...
NZ OKs Paid Leave for Parents
Grieving 'Strange, Secret Birth'
Mar 25, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
NZ OKs Paid Leave for Parents Grieving 'Strange, Secret Birth'
Kiwis approve legislation that gives couples 3 days off to deal with loss after miscarriage or stillbirth
- "A miscarriage is a strange, secret birth that is also a death," wrote Kathryn van Beek in 2018 after suffering her own. That's why the New Zealand author is celebrating this week after her country's Parliament gave the green light to legislation that will offer three...
Lay Out Skivvies
for Your Husband
Jan 11, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Seoul's Advice for Moms-to-Be: Lay Out Skivvies for Your Husband
City government slammed for sexist guidelines on expectant moms' looks, weight, spousal care
- Everyone knows pregnant women don't especially love being told to keep their weight in check and always look their best, especially right after giving birth. Except, apparently, the city government in Seoul, which is seeing backlash for posting advice for expectant mothers that's being called antiquated and sexist....
Cops: Man Made
Nov 6, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cops: Man Made Tragic Error While Shooting at 'Intruder'
Police say husband fatally shot pregnant wife in apparent accident
- A Florida man made what police say looks to be a tragic mistake in the middle of the night when the "intruder" he thought he was shooting at turned out to be his pregnant wife. NBC News reports cops were called to a home in Stuart, Fla., at around...
Cops: Stalker Waited 90 Mins.
for Pregnant Woman, Shot Her
Nov 2, 2020 8:31 AM CST
Cops: Stalker Waited 90 Mins. for Pregnant Woman, Shot Her
Remy Lee gave birth to a healthy baby before dying of her injuries
- A pregnant woman fatally ambushed outside a New Jersey apartment building gave birth to a healthy baby before she died, police say. Per NBC New York , prosecutors allege that Donqua Thomas, 30, arrived at the Brooks-Sloate Terrace complex in Paterson on Thursday afternoon and waited in his vehicle for 90...
This Pit Stop Wasn't in
Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Oct 30, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
This Pit Stop Wasn't in Pregnant Woman's Birth Plan
Florida woman in labor made husband stop so she could vote on their way to hospital
- "Florida Woman" definitely trumps "Florida Man"—at least in the case of a pregnant woman in Orange County who wasn't about to miss her chance to vote in this election. While some people have flown hundreds of miles to exercise their right to vote, this unidentified...
Till Age 18
Oct 27, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Emily Ratajkowski Won't 'Know' Baby's Gender Till Age 18
Supermodel announces pregnancy, says she won't impose an identity on her soon-to-arrive child
- Emily Ratajkowski's "pumpkin spice" hair is making headlines , but that isn't the biggest news of the week for her. In an essay for
, the 29-year-old supermodel reveals she's pregnant, but if you're tempted to ask if she's having a boy or a girl,...
Takes on Shark
Sep 25, 2020 10:27 AM CDT
'Without Hesitation,' Pregnant Woman Takes on Shark
Margot Dukes Eddy jumped into Florida waters when she saw husband getting attacked
- An Atlanta couple's vacation in the Florida Keys took a terrifying turn last weekend, ending with a surprising rescue. Per the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, 30-year-old Andrew Eddy was on a private boat with his pregnant wife, Margot Dukes Eddy, and her family Sunday morning at Sombrero Reef...
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant
Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Aug 25, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Health authorities disagree; 200mg daily limit remains
- Pregnant women who've limited their caffeine consumption to one or two cups of coffee per day, in accordance with official US guidance, aren't going far enough, according to a new peer-reviewed study that finds there's no safe level of caffeine for moms-to-be. Researchers say health recommendations in...
Drive-By Shooting Kills
but Not Her Baby
Feb 3, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Drive-By Shooting Kills Pregnant Woman, but Not Her Baby
Annie Sandifer was in a party bus celebrating a family event
- Annie Sandifer was 26 weeks pregnant with her sixth child when a bullet from a drive-by shooting struck her early Saturday. The Milwaukee woman, variously reported as 33 or 35, didn't survive—but her baby, delivered via emergency C-section, did. "She had kids to go home to. She...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Fed-Up Rod Stewart Offers to Pay for People's Hospital Scans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.