Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kari Lake Says She's
Fighting Election Results
Nov 17, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Says She's Fighting Election Results
Trump ally claims Arizona voters were disenfranchised via issues with tabulation machines
- Kari Lake, the Arizona gubernatorial candidate who refused to commit to accepting a losing election result, is now challenging her loss to Democrat Katie Hobbs . "I am still in this fight," the Trump-backed Republican says in a video posted to Twitter on Thursday, adding she's assembled the...
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake
in Arizona Governor Race
Nov 14, 2022 9:04 PM CST
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake in Arizona Governor Race
Republican Kari Lake is an election denier and Trump ally
- Democrat Katie Hobbs was elected Arizona governor on Monday, defeating an ally of former President Trump who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged and refused to say she would accept the results of her race this year, the AP reports. Hobbs, who is Arizona’s secretary of state, rose...
After Closer Than
Democrat Will Be
Nov 10, 2022 10:43 PM CST
After Closer Than Expected Race, Democrat Will Be Oregon Governor
Republicans had hoped to win governorship in the state for first time in 40 years
- Tina Kotek has been elected Oregon’s next governor, extending longtime Democratic control of the state and dashing Republican hopes for a rare win in a top race on the West Coast of the United States, the AP reports. Kotek joins Maura Healey of Massachusetts as the first openly lesbian...
How the 36 Governor
Races Are Shaking Out
Nov 9, 2022 12:54 PM CST
How the 36 Governor Races Are Shaking Out
Keeping tabs on a slew of governor's mansions
- As far as the scales go, the GOP had 28 governors to the Democrats' 22 going into Tuesday. And Politico spies "an opening for Republicans to retake a significant number of governorships." Thirty-six states are electing governors, reports the AP , with many of those races poised to come...
Arizona Polls Close After
Judge Refuses to Extend Hours
Nov 8, 2022 8:19 PM CST
Arizona Polls Close After Judge Refuses to Extend Hours
Kari Lake hasn't said whether she'll accept a loss
- Polls have closed in Arizona, where a judge denied an emergency motion from the Republican National Commitee to extend voting hours in Maricopa County because of problems with ballot tabulators , reports ABC15 . Kari Lake, the Republican candidate for governor, cast her ballot at a site she called "the heart...
in My Sights
Oct 25, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
DeSantis: Only One 'Worn-Out Old Donkey' in My Sights
In debate with Crist, Florida governor and potential 2024 candidate won't commit to full term
- Gov. Ron DeSantis and Democratic challenger Charlie Crist had their only debate Monday night in the Florida gubernatorial race, and one subject in particular was getting a lot of attention in the aftermath—DeSantis' White House ambitions. The governor is considered to be a top 2024 presidential candidate, and Crist...
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump
in Road for Governor
Sep 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump in Road for Governor
Ex-WH press secretary, 40, reveals thyroid cancer surgery, says she'll be back soon for Ark. campaign
- Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who's running for governor in Arkansas, underwent surgery Friday for thyroid cancer. Sanders announced she underwent the surgery after a biopsy earlier this month revealed she had the cancer. Sanders was recovering at an Arkansas hospital on Friday, her campaign said....
GOP Governor Primary
Sep 6, 2022 9:36 PM CDT
Trump-Backed Candidate Wins Massachusetts GOP Governor Primary
Geoff Diehl wins Republican nomination
- Geoff Diehl, a former state representative endorsed by former President Donald Trump, has won the Republican nomination for Massachusetts governor over businessman Chris Doughty, who was considered the more moderate candidate in the race, the AP reports. The victory for Diehl sets up a general election contest against Democratic Attorney...
O'Rourke Ends Up in
Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Aug 29, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
O'Rourke Ends Up in Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Democratic gubernatorial candidate says he had bacterial illness, will rest at home for a bit
- Beto O'Rourke has temporarily paused his gubernatorial campaign and is resting up after a weekend hospitalization for a bacterial infection. The Hill reports that the Texas Democrat announced his malady Sunday on Twitter, noting he wasn't feeling well on Friday and so he went to San Antonio's...
Faculty Pic With
Aug 27, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Faculty Pic With Pa. Governor Hopeful Raises Eyebrows
Doug Mastriano posed in Confederate uniform in 2013-14 Army War College photo
- Doug Mastriano, a far-right GOP candidate for Pennsylvania governor who's been endorsed by former President Donald Trump, has already raised eyebrows with his appearance outside the US Capitol on Jan. 6 and the various conspiracy theories he promotes, including that widespread fraud tipped the 2020 election in Joe Biden'...
Ahead of Ariz. Primary,
a Trump-Pence Split
Jul 19, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Ahead of Ariz. Primary, a Trump-Pence Split
They're each backing different Republican gubernatorial candidates in that state
- Former Vice President Mike Pence is again butting heads with his former boss, this time in the Arizona gubernatorial race. With two weeks left until the Aug. 2 primary, Pence endorsed Republican Karrin Taylor Robson on Monday and is to campaign on her behalf on Friday, reports Politico . Former President...
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate
for Governor in Michigan
Jun 9, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate for Governor in Michigan
Ryan Kelley charged over his alleged participation in the Capitol riot
- The latest arrest related to the Capitol riot is a doozy—it just happens to be the leading GOP candidate for governor in Michigan. The FBI arrested Ryan Kelley at his home in Allendale on Thursday after executing a search warrant, reports the
. Among other things, the criminal...
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor
Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
May 14, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trump's Pick for Pa. Governor Is an Eyebrow-Raising One
Doug Mastriano has pushed lie of 2020 stolen election, said he'd make voters 'reregister' to vote
- Donald Trump on Saturday endorsed Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania's Republican primary for governor, siding with a far-right candidate who was outside the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection and has worked with determination to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. Mastriano was already leading a crowded...
Greg Abbott to
Face Off in Texas
Mar 1, 2022 8:30 PM CST
Beto O'Rourke, Greg Abbott to Face Off in Texas Governor's Race
They win their respective primaries Tuesday
- It'll be Beto O'Rourke vs. Greg Abbott in the Texas gubernatorial race. O'Rourke won the Democratic primary Tuesday—the first primary of the 2022 midterm election season—and incumbent Gov. Abbott won the Republican primary, the AP reports. O'Rourke, a former congressman, 2018 Senate candidate, and...
'Man Who Lost Republicans
the US Senate' Wants New Job
Dec 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
'Man Who Lost Republicans the US Senate' Wants New Job
Looks like former Sen. David Perdue is running for Georgia governor against Brian Kemp
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who drew former President Trump's wrath for refusing to act on his false allegations of a stolen election, is likely to face a prominent challenger for the 2022 Republican primary for governor: former Sen. David Perdue. Late Sunday, a website and text updates launched for...
Makes His Call on
Nov 29, 2021 6:37 AM CST
Matthew McConaughey Makes His Call on Governor Run
Texas native has decided not to take on Gregg Abbott in his home state
- Looks like it's back to Hollywood and/or family life for Matthew McConaughey. The 52-year-old actor has made headlines of late—and polled pretty well doing so—by publicly mulling whether he should make a run for governor in his home state of Texas. Over the weekend, however, he announced...
Nov 15, 2021 11:37 AM CST
Beto O'Rourke Is Running for Governor
Democrat announces candidacy in Texas
- Democrat Beto O'Rourke is running for governor of Texas, pursuing a blue breakthrough in America's biggest red state, per the AP . O'Rourke's announcement Monday via video kicks off a third run for office in as many election cycles. First came his near-miss 2018 Senate race against...
Virginia Polls Vary, but
All Show Youngkin Gaining
Oct 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Virginia Polls Vary, but All Show Youngkin Gaining
Fox has Republican up 8 points over McAuliffe, though other results show a tighter race
- The most recent polls in the Virginia governor's race show Republican Glenn Youngkin closing ground on Democrat Terry McAuliffe—if not already ahead—as the campaigns reach final days. A Fox News poll taken early last week is by far the most encouraging for Youngkin, showing him up 53%-45%...
In Virginia, Two Words
Democrats Hate: 'Dead Heat'
Oct 26, 2021 12:13 PM CDT
In Virginia, Two Words Democrats Hate: 'Dead Heat'
New poll shows tight race for governor in contest with national implications
- Democrats have won the last two races for governor in once-red Virginia, but a three-peat won't be easy. A new poll from
/Suffolk University shows Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin tied at about 45%. "Dead heat," is how Suffolk's David Paleologos puts...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.