Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news reports about cruelty to animals, animal cruelty laws, and other stories of dog and cat abuse on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Corrections Officer Charged
in Death of Beloved Rooster
Apr 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Corrections Officer Charged in Death of Beloved Rooster
Carl the Rooster once roamed the streets of of downtown Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- A corrections officer in Mississippi has been fired for her alleged role in the death of a town's most beloved rooster. Carl the Rooster was the most well-known bird in a band of chickens that has been roaming downtown Ocean Springs for years, the
reports. After Carl...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Suit: First She Threw His Phone,
Keys Off Balcony. Next, His Dog
Mar 3, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Suit: First She Threw His Phone, Keys Off Balcony. Next, His Dog
Florida man sues ex-girlfriend, accusing her of fatally hurling his pug Bucky 7 floors down
- A Florida man is suing a woman he had been seeing after he alleges she hurled his pug off a seventh-floor balcony, killing it. In a Monday news conference , Eric Adeson explained that he and Shelley Nicole Vaughn, 46, lived in the same Clearwater apartment building, had dated off and...
Charges Filed After an
Alleged 'Koala Massacre'
Dec 22, 2021 1:52 PM CST
Charges Filed After an Alleged 'Koala Massacre'
21 animals were found dead in February 2020, more were euthanized
- An Australian landowner and an earthmoving business face 126 animal cruelty charges apiece in connection with a February 2020 incident that one conservation group dubbed a "koala massacre." CNN reports the individual and company are accused of causing "unreasonable pain or suffering to dozens of koalas,"...
It's a 'Defining Moral
Failure of Our Age'
Dec 17, 2021 8:15 AM CST
It's a 'Defining Moral Failure of Our Age'
Ezra Klein offers ways to ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals
- In one sense, it's a typical column for this time of year: Ezra Klein of the
New York Times
is suggesting groups worthy of donations. In this case, he puts the focus on organizations that can help end or ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals. And in making his...
Dec 15, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Runaway Zebras Found in Maryland
They're back with their herd
The two zebras that had been on the loose in Maryland since August have been located and reunited with their herd, WJLA reports. Authorities say they returned to the herd last week after having been corralled in an undisclosed location. A third zebra that originally escaped with them died...
Rescue Dogs Shot Dead
Due to COVID Restrictions
Aug 22, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Rescue Dogs Shot Dead Due to COVID Restrictions
Animal welfare group says it had a safety plan ready and was planning to take the animals
- Volunteers were ready to pick up some dogs that had been impounded in New South Wales, Australia. Instead, the dogs were shot dead. A reporter for the
Sydney Morning Herald
learned from a local government watchdog group that an animal shelter in the middle of the state—the same state...
Undercover Probe Finds Catfish
'Gasping,' 'Slowly Suffocating'
Aug 16, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Undercover Probe Finds Catfish 'Gasping,' 'Slowly Suffocating'
Investigator at Simmons farm in Mississippi found 'numerous instances of animal abuse and suffering'
- "I remember as a kid the moment I learned that there was an awful place animals were sent to be killed called a slaughterhouse. If you had told me back then that I would be working in one someday, I would've never believed you." So says an...
Texas Governor's Surprise
Veto Spurs a Hashtag
Jun 24, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Texas Governor's Surprise Veto Spurs a Hashtag
Greg Abbott nixes bill on tethering dogs, leading to #AbbottHatesDogs trend
- A bipartisan bill in Texas meant to protect dogs from abuse easily passed the state House and Senate with backing from law enforcement, animal control officers, and animals rights activists before landing on the desk of Gov. Greg Abbott—who then vetoed it. Friday's surprise move spawned the trending...
Wildlife Officials Seek Info on
'Atrocious Act' Against Pelicans
Jun 21, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
Wildlife Officials Seek Info on 'Atrocious Act' Against Pelicans
Authorities say dozens of seabirds are being intentionally injured in Southern California
- "WHO'S MUTILATING PELICANS?" That was the all-caps question posed last week by Orange County's Wetlands & Wildlife Care Center after dozens of brown pelicans turned up along the Southern California coastline with serious injuries that appear to have been intentionally caused by a human. In a Facebook...
Florida Man Cites
'Stand Your Ground'
in Iguana Killing
Jun 2, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Florida Man Cites 'Stand Your Ground' in Iguana Killing
The judge was not convinced
- A Florida man tried unsuccessfully to duck animal cruelty charges by claiming he had every right to beat an iguana to death under the state's "stand your ground" law. The law allows for the use of deadly force if a person "reasonably believes that using or threatening...
Teacher Accused of Killing
His Kittens to Feel 'Powerful'
May 19, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
Teacher Accused of Killing His Kittens to Feel 'Powerful'
Graham Reid, who is no longer employed by Fort Bend ISD, was arrested in late April
- Counselors were made available to students at a Houston-area school after news broke that a former teacher at the school had been arrested for killing his kittens. Graham William Reid, 29, is said to have had four kittens named Cabbage, Parsnip, Carrot, and Broccoli, and investigators say all met brutal...
After 'Grotesque Test' Kills
Elephant Seal, Prison Time
Apr 14, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
After 'Grotesque Test' Kills Elephant Seal, Prison Time
Jordan Gerbich gets 3 months behind bars after he says drunk pal asked him to shoot marine creature
- A man will spend three months in prison for shooting an elephant seal in the head . Jordan Gerbich pleaded guilty to one count of illegally taking a marine mammal in December, more than a year after prosecutors said he shot an elephant seal in the head with a .45 caliber...
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust
Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
Feb 18, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Dog, 2 Pups Die After 'Unjust Cruelty' Seen in TikTok Video
2 Florida men arrested after illegal surgery performed by non-vet on pregnant French bulldog
- A French bulldog and two of her puppies are dead, and two Florida men have been arrested after a botched surgery that went viral on TikTok. An affidavit cited by the
alleges that Larry Colon, 50, forked over $650 to 33-year-old Frankie Huertas-Rivera to perform a C-section on...
Report: Cop Ran
to Kill It, 'Returned
With a Smile'
Oct 10, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Report: Cop Ran After Porcupine to Kill It, 'Returned With a Smile'
2 Maine police officers fired, face charges amid allegations they beat porcupines to death
- Two Maine police officers have been fired and now face criminal charges after being accused of beating porcupines to death with their batons. The state's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife says that 27-year-old Addison Cox and 30-year-old Michael Rolerson, now formerly of the Rockland Police Department, were hit...
Pain to Pets
Oct 7, 2020 8:44 AM CDT
Petco Won't Sell Product That Brings Pain to Pets
Pet supplies chain also wants its competitors to stop hawking electronic 'shock' collars
- A pet product that's been labeled "controversial" by the Humane Society will no longer be sold by one major chain. Petco announced Tuesday that consumers won't find human- and bark-activated "shock" collars—devices that administer electronic pulses of varying intensity and duration to help train animals...
Find Thousands of
Aug 5, 2020 11:02 AM CDT
California Cops Find Thousands of Cockfighting Roosters
Hundreds of other animals were rescued from Los Angeles property
- As many as 3,000 cockfighting roosters were rescued from a California ranch this week as part of an investigation into animal cruelty. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said 2,000 to 3,000 roosters were kept on the multi-acre ranch in Los Angeles' Chatsworth area, where a...
At This 'Eden' for Animals,
Cops Make Horrifying Find
May 4, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
At This 'Eden' for Animals, Cops Make Horrifying Find
Police find dead dogs, cats in freezer at Ky. no-kill animal shelter
- Police seized 90 dogs from a no-kill animal shelter in Kentucky due to its allegedly poor conditions, reports the AP , and charged its owner after dead cats and dogs were found in the facility's freezer. The dogs were taken Saturday because of "poor living conditions" at the Trixie...
Dog Leads Rescuers
to Neglected Animals
Jan 24, 2020 5:03 AM CST
Dog Leads Rescuers to Neglected Animals
Georgia woman charged with animal cruelty
- Animal rescue volunteers in Georgia say they went out to help a stray dog in Spalding County—and came back with six dogs and 10 puppies. The volunteers say that the stray mother dog, Clover, led them to a property where numerous dead or distressed and malnourished animals were in...
Cops: Suspect Lured
Seagulls to a Horrible Fate
Jan 5, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Cops: Suspect Lured Seagulls to a Horrible Fate
Someone in Maryland apparently ran over the birds while they ate popcorn
- Maryland police are seeking a person who allegedly enticed seagulls with pre-popped popcorn and brutally ran them over, CNN reports. Responding to an animal-cruelty report, police showed up at a Laurel shopping center and found at least 10 dead birds. "Through investigation, officers learned that a subject purchased a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.