Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jury Finds Egg Producers
Conspired to Reduce Supply
Nov 23, 2023 11:16 AM CST
Jury Finds Egg Producers Conspired to Reduce Supply
Defendants included Rose Acre Farms, the family company of Senate candidate John Rust
- An Illinois jury ruled this week that several major egg producers conspired to limit the country's supply of eggs in order to raise prices in a case stemming from a federal lawsuit originally filed 12 years ago, per the AP . Kraft Foods, the Kellogg Company, General Mills, and Nestle...
He Tried to Egg the King,
Called It 'Lawful Violence'
Apr 14, 2023 11:03 AM CDT
He Tried to Egg the King, Called It 'Lawful Violence'
Patrick Thelwell, 23, found guilty of threatening behavior
- He wore high-heeled shoes to better see the king, but the eggs he hurled at the monarch missed. Patrick Thelwell was arrested all the same over the November incident, and on Friday he was found guilty of threatening behavior. The BBC reports the 23-year-old threw five eggs in the direction...
Old Masters' Paint Contained
Mar 29, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
Old Masters' Paint Contained Protein—Likely Intentionally
Researchers evaluate the benefits of adding egg yolk to oil paint
- If Leonardo da Vinci and Rembrandt were alive today, they'd likely be wringing their hands over egg prices with the rest of us. That's because they may have intentionally added egg yolk to their oil paints, and a new study published Tuesday in
tries to get...
Guess What Just Got
Yanked From Dollar Tree?
Mar 15, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Guess What Just Got Yanked From Dollar Tree?
Seems eggs are a little too rich for discount chain's blood until at least the fall
- If you need to pick up a dozen eggs and you're passing the local Dollar Tree, keep driving. As Reuters reports, the discount chain has announced that given the dizzying rise in egg prices , it's going to stop carrying eggs until the industry can get its act together...
Raising Some Eyebrows
Jan 25, 2023 8:36 AM CST
Egg Producers' 'Egregious Profits' Raising Some Eyebrows
Farm Action wants Cal-Maine investigated over possible price gouging
- A US senator has joined farmers in calling for an investigation to crack the problem of soaring egg prices . Government data shows the national average retail price for a dozen eggs reached $4.25 in December, for a 138% increase from the $1.79 average a year earlier, though the...
Feds Say Cross-Border
Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
Jan 22, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Feds Say Cross-Border Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
'My advice is, don’t bring them over,' CBP official says
- Eggs are much cheaper in Mexico but anybody caught trying to bring them across the border could have to shell out a lot of money, officials say. American egg prices were up 60% year-on-year in December due to factors including avian flu, making Mexican eggs an appealing prospect for residents...
Egg Scare Again Disrupts
King Charles' Walkabout
Dec 6, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Egg Scare Again Disrupts King Charles' Walkabout
Man is held on suspicion of common assault
- King Charles' protection officers briefly hustled him away from crowds Tuesday after police said an egg was thrown in his direction for the second time in a month. A man in his 20s was arrested on suspicion of common assault, Bedfordshire police said. The monarch was greeting the public in...
After Eggings, Building Owners
Demand $260K in Damages
Aug 17, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
After Eggings, Building Owners Demand $260K in Damages
Yan Li is allegedly making life difficult inside NYC's 1214 Fifth Avenue
- The owners of the luxury 1214 Fifth Avenue high-rise on the Upper East Side of New York City are demanding $260,000 in damages from a tenant who allegedly won't stop egging her neighbors, reports the
New York Post
. Two units on the 37th floor of the building are...
We've Had to Kill 9%
of Our Chickens
May 5, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
We've Had to Kill 9% of Our Chickens
Avian flu outbreak has decimated flocks of laying hens
- The avian flu outbreak has taken a huge toll on America's poultry flocks—mainly from culling, not disease—and consumers are feeling the pain with higher prices for eggs, chickens, and a lot of other products. "More than 28 million laying hens have been culled as a result...
Birds Are Nesting, Laying Eggs
Much Earlier Than in the Past
Apr 4, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Birds Are Nesting, Laying Eggs Much Earlier Than in the Past
Study of museum's egg collection finds major shift in bird behavior
- Many species of birds are now building nests and laying eggs at a time of year their counterparts from a century ago would have considered outrageously early. Around a third of birds in the Upper Midwest region are now laying their eggs an average of 25 days earlier than they...
Cage-Free Eggs Become
Standard After Years of Debate
Feb 12, 2022 2:40 PM CST
Cage-Free Eggs Become Standard After Years of Debate
Producers have yielded to animal welfare groups, grocers, and restaurants
- With little fuss and even less public attention, US egg producers are in the midst of a multibillion-dollar shift to cage-free eggs that is dramatically changing the lives of millions of hens in response to new laws and demands from restaurant chains. The percentage of hens in cage-free housing has...
Is Egged Once Again
Sep 27, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Emmanuel Macron Is Egged Once Again
This time the egg bounced right off him
- Emmanuel Macron was hit by an egg on Monday, but he somehow managed to escape without any yolk on his suit. The French president was visiting a restaurant trade fair in Lyon when the egg was pelted at Macron's left shoulder—which it bounced off of (as seen in...
Next Entry in Unconventional
Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
May 16, 2021 1:31 PM CDT
Next Entry in Unconventional Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
Atomo startup in Seattle uses seeds and nuts and a chemical process
- You can eat "meat" made from plants and drink "milk" made from nuts, but are you ready for coffee made without coffee? That's the question posed by a story in Bloomberg about a Seattle startup producing just such a brew. The concoction by Atomo Coffee is made...
2 Reasons Why This Python's
7 Eggs Are Totally Weird
Sep 11, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
2 Reasons Why This Python's 7 Eggs Are Totally Weird
First, she's 62 years old. Second, she hasn't been near a male python for 2 decades
- A 62-year-old ball python surprised experts at the St. Louis Zoo by laying seven eggs, despite not being near a male python for at least two decades. Mark Wanner, manager of herpetology at the zoo, says it's unusual but not unheard of for ball pythons to reproduce asexually. The...
Find Shopping Stressful?
Now, a Historic Price Hike
May 30, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Find Shopping Stressful? Now, a Historic Price Hike
Food-price fluctuations began in March, when the coronavirus really sunk in
- As if trips to the grocery store weren’t nerve-wracking enough, US shoppers lately have seen the costs of meat, eggs, and even potatoes soar as the coronavirus has disrupted processing plants and distribution networks, the AP reports. Overall, the cost of food bought to eat at home skyrocketed by...
of Eggs Brings
May 7, 2020 6:38 PM CDT
Rising Price of Eggs Brings Lawsuits
In many places, stores are charging three times as much during pandemic
- The retail price of a dozen eggs has shot past $3 in parts of the country during the pandemic, sometimes tripling the bite. That's price gouging, say new lawsuits that ask that the industry give consumers some of that money back. "As in any time of economic turmoil,...
The Chickens Churned Out
Eggs. Then Came the Gas
Apr 22, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
The Chickens Churned Out Eggs. Then Came the Gas
Egg farmer Kerry Mergen says 61K chickens were euthanized due to drop in demand due to virus
- A Minnesota contract egg farmer says his livelihood has been erased along with 61,000 chickens owing to a drop in demand triggered by the coronavirus pandemic. Kerry Mergen and his wife, Barb, produced 4,500 dozen eggs per day, which were turned into fluid egg and sent to food...
Major New Study
Is Good News for Egg Eaters
Mar 5, 2020 8:13 AM CST
Major New Study Is Good News for Egg Eaters
Up to one egg per day isn't bad for your heart, say researchers
- A comprehensive new study lands the latest salvo in the egg wars , and it will please those who regularly eat them for breakfast. The study out of Harvard concludes that moderate consumption—defined as up to one egg a day on average—isn't bad for your cardiovascular health, reports...
Linked to Listeria Outbreak
Dec 20, 2019 8:46 AM CST
Hard-Boiled Eggs Linked to Listeria Outbreak
CDC warns retailers, consumers about bulk eggs sold in pails by Almark Foods of Georgia
- The CDC is linking a deadly listeria outbreak in multiple states to hard-boiled eggs from an Almark Foods plant in Georgia. For those worried about getting sick, however, the warning is tricky. It involves eggs sold in bulk mainly to food-service operators, stores, and restaurants, meaning they might turn up...
Egg Bounces Off
Aussie PM's Head
May 7, 2019 3:13 AM CDT
Egg Bounces Off Aussie PM's Head
Woman charged with common assault
- Australia's prime minister was hit on the head with an egg and a woman was knocked off her feet Tuesday during a protest ahead of a general election next week. The egg appeared to strike Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the back of the head then bounce off without...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.