Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
This 90-Year-Old Fish
Likes Belly Rubs
Jan 27, 2022 2:09 PM CST
This 90-Year-Old Fish Likes Belly Rubs
Australian lungfish Methuselah is believed to be world's oldest aquarium fish
- Meet Methuselah, the fish that likes to eat fresh figs, get belly rubs, and is believed to be the oldest living aquarium fish in the world. In the Bible, Methuselah was Noah's grandfather and was said to have lived to be 969 years old. Methuselah the fish isn't...
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to
Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
Nov 7, 2021 6:00 PM CST
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
He did the trail in sections for better weather
- An 83-year-old from Alabama started walking when he retired more than a quarter-century ago — and never stopped. M.J. “Sunny” Eberhart strode into the record books Sunday as the oldest hiker to complete the Appalachian Trail. Eberhart, known by the trail name Nimblewill Nomad, acknowledged that despite having...
It's a Potato So Big
It Has a Name
Nov 5, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
It's a Potato So Big It Has a Name
Doug, the New Zealand spud, could be a new world record holder
- Colin and Donna Craig-Brown were weeding their garden in New Zealand on Aug. 30 when Colin's hoe struck something big just beneath the soil's surface. After Colin pried it out, he scratched away a bit of the skin and tasted it. A potato. "We couldn't believe...
Oct 18, 2021 2:53 AM CDT
Tony Bennett Sets Another World Record
For his latest album with Lady Gaga
- Tony Bennett has set a Guinness World Record, his fifth. The 95-year-old is now officially the oldest person to release an album of new material, the recordkeeping organization has confirmed.
Love for Sale
, Bennett's collaboration with Lady Gaga, was released October 1, CNN reports. Bennett, who has Alzheimer's...
Both Beat the World Record,
but Only One Could Win Gold
Aug 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Both Beat the World Record, but Only One Could Win Gold
Sydney McLaughlin of the US wins Olympics' 400-meter hurdles event
- Sydney McLaughlin broke the world record. Dalilah Muhammad broke it, too. Only one of the world's best hurdlers could win the Olympic gold medal—and McLaughlin came out ahead in the latest installment of the best rivalry in track, the AP reports. The 21-year-old out of East Orange, NJ,...
Hottest Place on Earth
Could Be Getting Hotter
Jul 11, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Hottest Place on Earth Could Be Getting Hotter
Death Valley recorded a temperature of 130 degrees for just the fifth time ever
- Death Valley on Friday saw some of the hottest temperatures ever recorded on Earth, and this may not be the end of it. Dubbed the hottest place on the planet for its official record temp of 134 degrees Fahrenheit, set in 1913, the spot in eastern California had only seen...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
Woman Gives Birth to
9 Babies. At One Time
May 5, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Woman Gives Birth to 9 Babies. At One Time
Malian woman gives birth to nonuplets in Morocco
- If all goes well, Halima Cisse should be able to field an entire baseball team with all nine children she gave birth to on Tuesday. The 25-year-old Malian woman had expected to deliver seven babies, based on an ultrasound. In a surprise, she instead gave birth to nonuplets in Morocco,...
Now Has 20
Feb 8, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Ariana Grande Now Has 20 Guinness World Records
Singer wins 'most songs to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100'
- Ariana Grande has an impressive 20 Guinness World Records to her name as of last week, when the 27-year-old broke the record for most songs to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Her single, "Positions," did so on Nov. 7, her fifth song to ever...
Behold the Ring With
the Most Diamonds Ever
Jan 5, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Behold the Ring With the Most Diamonds Ever
The 'Marigold,' featuring 12,638 stones, has been recognized by Guinness World Records
- Start doing your hand exercises now if you ever want to slip the "Ring of Prosperity" on your finger—it'll be a heavy lift. That's because the piece of jewelry (aka the "Marigold") designed by Harshit Bansal of India's Renani Jewels features 12,638...
Clinch a World Record
Dec 9, 2020 12:47 PM CST
Singing Port-a-Potties Clinch a World Record
That would be for 'most animated faces on a single holiday light display'
- The Jingle Johns are back, and in a big way. This year, the singing port-a-potties brought to you by Indiana’s Service Sanitation have apparently set a World Record while saying "Hallelujah" to the end of 2020. "Fusing together the elements of lights, music, and #portapotties, the #JingleJohns...
374 Feet Without
Taking a Breath
Nov 28, 2020 6:00 AM CST
She Dove 374 Feet Without Taking a Breath
For Alenka Artnik and freediving, 'it was love at first sight'
- Those watching the surface of the water were likely somewhat worried about Alenka Artnik, who was attempting to free dive to a depth no woman had before. But Tito Zappalá wasn't too concerned. Having taken an underwater scooter to depths of 200 feet, the safety diver watched Artnik ascend...
Time Too Good
to Be True
Jul 10, 2020 6:58 AM CDT
Runner's 200-Meter Time Too Good to Be True
Sprinter Noah Lyles gets disappointing news
- What the
calls a "farcical ending" to an elite running event must've felt as crushing as it did absurd to the sprinter at the center of it all. On Thursday, 22-year-old Noah Lyles was a contender in the 200-meter race in the Inspiration Games, in which 30...
The Crash Killed Her,
but She Got Her Record
in case you missed it
Jun 28, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
The Crash Killed Her, but She Got Her Record
Earth's 'fastest woman,' Jessi Combs, awarded female land-speed record
- Jessi Combs was killed in a horrific crash last year—but the professional racer and
star known as Earth's "fastest woman on four wheels" achieved the world record she was trying to set. Guinness World Records announced this week that Combs had been awarded the record for...
Paralympian Dies Trying
to Row Across Pacific Ocean
Jun 25, 2020 12:20 AM CDT
Paralympian Dies Trying to Row Across Pacific Ocean
Angela Madsen was attempting to set world record
- A spinal cord injury during her time in the Marines left Angela Madsen a paraplegic, but it didn't slow her down. She went to the Paralympics three times, including a 2012 trip during which she won bronze in the shot put event, and won several gold medals at the...
'The Mountain' Just Deadlifted
More Than Anyone Ever Has
May 5, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
'The Mountain' Just Deadlifted More Than Anyone Ever Has
Hafthor Bjornsson lifts 1,104 pounds, breaks world record
- The Mountain is at the top of the deadlift world.
Game of Thrones
actor Hafthor Bjornsson, who played Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane in the HBO series, set a deadlift world record by lifting 1,104 pounds on Saturday, the AP reports. Bjornsson, the 2018 World’s Strongest Man , made...
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon
'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Apr 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon 'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Eliud Kipchoge did what many believed couldn't be done
- For decades, it was believed to be impossible to run a marathon in less than two hours. Then, in October, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to do it. How? Knox Robinson spent time with Kipchoge at his rural training camp in Kenya, and in an extensive piece for
What Virus? 3.5K People
Dress Up, Hang Out as Smurfs
Mar 11, 2020 7:47 AM CDT
What Virus? 3.5K People Dress Up, Hang Out as Smurfs
Event criticized as 'potentially a very dangerous viral bomb'
- A day before France banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people, some 3,500 of them gathered to break a world record. The village of Landerneau in northwestern France, home to the annual Festival of the Starry Moon, was betting on breaking the world record for the "most...
Record-Setting Firework Turns
Sky Red Over Colorado Festival
Feb 10, 2020 7:17 PM CST
Record-Setting Firework Turns Sky Red Over Colorado Festival
Team had worked for 7 years toward Guinness recognition
- After thousands of hours of building fireworks over seven years—and one failed attempt due to a premature explosion—a team has brought the record for the world's largest firework to Colorado. The explosion turned the sky over Steamboat Springs' winter carnival red on Saturday night and earned a...
Nike Nailed It With These
Shoes—and That's a Problem
Jan 18, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Nike Nailed It With These Shoes—and That's a Problem
The Vaporfly is helping marathon runners break records
- Some shoes aren't just good, they're
good—which has World Athletics seeking a response to Nike's Vaporfly sneakers, Quartz reports. The governing body of track and field knows these shoes are helping runners set marathon records, but what to do? The
of London reports a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.