Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Shortest Mobile Man
in the World Dies at 27
Jan 18, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Shortest Mobile Man in the World Dies at 27
Khagendra Thapa Magar of Nepal was just 2 feet, 2.41 inches tall
- Khagendra Thapa Magar reigned as the world's shortest man who could walk, according to Guinness World Records , but he never thought of himself as small. "I'm a big man," he said after a 2010 ceremony recognizing his diminutive stature. Which is why the Nepal man's...
16 Hours, 27.4K
Rolls of TP,
and a Possible
Jan 14, 2020 8:49 AM CST
16 Hours, 27.4K Rolls of TP, and a Possible World Record
Michigan high school's robotics team hopes Guinness OKs world's tallest toilet paper pyramid
- When Maxton Herst was a freshman at Michigan's Bullock Creek High School, he left YouTube on autoplay one day, and one of the videos that popped up showed something that piqued his interest: the world's tallest toilet-paper pyramid. Per MLive.com , he brought up the idea with fellow...
The Ultimate Climbing Record
Has Just Been Smashed
Oct 29, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
The Ultimate Climbing Record Has Just Been Smashed
Nirmal Purja summited the planet's 14 tallest peaks in 189 days
- Nirmal Purja on Tuesday described the last six months as "grueling." That's likely an understatement. The 36-year-old Nepalese man has obliterated the world record for summiting the 14 peaks on the planet that measure at least 8,000 meters, or roughly 26,350 feet. The record had...
He Just Did What No Runner
Has Ever Done Before
Oct 12, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
He Just Did What No Runner Has Ever Done Before
'I am the happiest man,' says Eliud Kipchoge, the first person to run marathon in under 2 hours
- With 20 seconds to spare, Eliud Kipchoge has just done what elite marathon runners have tried to do for years. "I am the happiest man," the Kenyan athlete said Saturday in Austria after completing Vienna's Prater Park marathon in less than two hours—1 hour, 59 minutes,...
US Woman Does Something
No Swimmer Has Done
Sep 17, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
US Woman Does Something No Swimmer Has Done
Sarah Thomas becomes first to swim the English Channel 4 times in one outing
- Swimming the English Channel is an impressive feat. Swimming it four times in a row is unprecedented. Or at least it was, until Colorado swimmer Sarah Thomas went for a dip this weekend. The 37-year-old emerged from the water Tuesday to become the first person to swim the channel four...
Planted 353M Trees
—in Half a Day
Jul 30, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
This Country Planted 353M Trees —in Half a Day
4B is the ultimate goal in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia claims it has smashed a world record in the name of climate change—and the tree planting isn't even done. More than 353 million tree seedlings were planted across the country in just 12 hours as part of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's Green Legacy reforestation campaign, per...
El Capitan: 0
Jun 18, 2019 4:03 AM CDT
10-Year-Old: 1; El Capitan: 0
Selah Schneiter becomes youngest documented person to climb El Capitan's 'Nose route'
- A 10-year-old has conquered the massive rock wall that is El Capitan, a dangerous challenge even for rock-climbing legends. Selah Schneiter, whose climbing-guide father had her in harnesses soon after she could walk, had dreamed of scaling the 3,000-foot granite rock face in Yosemite National Park since she was...
Hi, I Just Climbed
in One Week!
May 21, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Hi, I Just Climbed Everest Twice in One Week!
Kami Rita Sherpa, 49, breaks own world record, ascends mountain for 24th time
- Dear everyone who's ever climbed Mount Everest: Big deal. That may be exactly what Kami Rita Sherpa is thinking after extending his latest record on the mega-mountain, reaching the peak for the 24th time on Tuesday, per the BBC . Not only that, but the 49-year-old had just ascended Everest...
Big Money for Monet
at Record-Shattering Auction
May 15, 2019 6:01 AM CDT
Big Money for Monet at Record-Shattering Auction
French artist's painting goes for $110.7M, a world record for impressionist art
- Like a fine wine, this Claude Monet piece just got better with age. Or more valuable, at any rate: An 1890 oil painting from the French artist's "Haystacks" (or "Meules") series sold Tuesday at Sotheby's for $110.7 million—the first time an impressionist painting...
The World Has
a New Pi Champ
Mar 14, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
The World Has a New Pi Champ
Google's Emma Iwao calculates it to 31 trillion digits
- It's Pi Day, the 3/14 celebration of perhaps the most famous number in history. Google is celebrating with a record-breaking feat: One of its employees calculated pi to 31 trillion digits, 9 trillion more than the previous record, with help from cloud computing, reports the BBC . Emma Hauka Iwao...
Easy to See Why Billionaire's
Tweet Is Now Most Retweeted
in case you missed it
Jan 12, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Easy to See Why Billionaire's Tweet Is Now Most Retweeted
Yusaku Maezawa promises some cash to 100 people
- A Japanese billionaire has now claimed the honor of having penned the most retweeted tweet ever. But once you hear what he wrote, it's not that surprising. Yusaku Maezawa's Jan. 5 tweet offered to split 100 million yen (that's about $925,000) among 100 people, reports the...
It's Hard to Believe
How Fast This
Sep 18, 2018 12:06 PM CDT
It's Hard to Believe How Fast This Bicyclist Went
Denise Mueller-Korenek pedals at 183.9mph in 'motor-paced' record
- Plenty of cars can't reach 183.9mph. Denise Mueller-Korenek managed it on a bike in the obscure world of "motor-paced cycling," reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Peddling in a race car's slipstream, the 45-year-old former junior cycling champion smashed the bicycle land speed record of 167mph...
Marathon's World Record
Has Been Shattered
Sep 16, 2018 6:07 AM CDT
Marathon's World Record Has Been Shattered
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge fells record by more than a minute in Berlin Marathon
- Eliud Kipchoge has an Olympic gold medal in the marathon, and has clocked the fastest recorded time of 26.2 miles in an unratified race, but now he holds the official world record—and by quite a bit, coming in at 2 hours, 1 minute, 39 seconds in Sunday's...
New Temperature Record
in Oman? No Sweat
Jun 30, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
New Temperature Record in Oman? No Sweat
Actually, lots of sweat, with a 108.7-degree 24-hour 'low' in Quriyat
- A dangerous heat wave is expected to envelop much of the US over the next few days, but residents in Quriyat, Oman, probably won't have much sympathy. That's because it's so hot there that a new world record was set Tuesday: Per Weather Underground , the city registered...
Most Climbers Need
3 Days to Conquer This.
These Guys, 2 Hours
Jun 7, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Most Climbers Need 3 Days to Conquer This. These Guys, 2 Hours
Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell say they're never taking on record for El Capitan's 'Nose' again
- Most climbers take three days to scale the 3,000-foot Nose route of Yosemite's El Capitan, perhaps the most intimidating big-wall climbing route on the planet, so it was nothing short of incredible when a pair did it with a time of 2:19:44 last October. Sadly for...
He Lost His Feet in Everest Fail.
43 Years Later, Redemption
May 15, 2018 7:52 AM CDT
He Lost His Feet in Everest Fail. 43 Years Later, Redemption
Double amputee scales mountain as new climbing record is set
- Two major conquests have kicked off the Everest climbing season. Setting out before Sherpas finished securing the season's ropes to the summit, double amputee Xia Boyu of China reached Everest's peak Monday on his fifth attempt, reports
. It was a climb 43 years in the making. The...
Blimp Tows Water Skier
6.9 Miles to Set World Record
Mar 14, 2018 3:34 PM CDT
Blimp Tows Water Skier 6.9 Miles to Set World Record
Kari McCollum was towed across a Southern California lake
- Yes, that was a blimp towing a water skier across the surface of a Southern California lake. The
reports the blimp towed skier Kari McCollum for 6.9 miles at Lake Elsinore on Tuesday. The newspaper says that's a new record, according to Philip Robertson, an adjudicator with...
Man Puts His Feet Through
Lego Ordeal for Charity
Jan 26, 2018 5:06 PM CST
Man Puts His Feet Through Lego Ordeal for Charity
At least Russell Cassevah thinks he set a world record after his 120-foot torture stroll
- Most people go to great lengths to avoid stepping on their kids' Legos. Not Russell Cassevah, described as a "madman" by ALT 103.7 for what appears to be a (painful) new world record. WAVY reports the Virginia man traversed 120 feet of the sole-puncturing plastic bricks on Sunday,...
Feat at South Pole?
Dec 27, 2017 12:32 PM CST
A Record-Setting Feat at South Pole?
Scott Sears, tennis star Andy Murray's brother-in-law, may be youngest ever to complete feat solo
- While many people were unwrapping gifts on Christmas Day, the brother-in-law of tennis star Andy Murray was wrapping up a 700-mile, 38-day journey through brutally cold temps and blistering winds—and, he hopes, setting a world record. Scott Sears, 27, reached the South Pole on Monday, and he says he'...
7 Bizarre New
Sep 8, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
7 Bizarre New Guinness Records
One involves 17,994 coats of paint on a baseball
- Ekaterina Lisina's legs are as long as some people are tall. They've also propelled the model to newfound fame. Lisina has nabbed not one but two new Guinness World Records as the world's tallest professional model (at 6 feet, 8.77 inches) and woman with the longest...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.