Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Ran 100-Mile World Record
Only to Be Told It Didn't Count
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2022 12:30 PM CST
She Ran 100-Mile World Record Only to Be Told It Didn't Count
USA Track & Field refuses to ratify Camille Herron's record, says course was too short
- Professional ultrarunner Camille Herron thought she'd beaten her own world record by more than a minute in February when she completed a 100-mile race in 12 hours, 41 minutes, and 11 seconds, for a pace of 7:37 minutes per mile. The Oklahoma woman beat the male second-place finisher...
Guy Eats 10 of the World's
Hottest Peppers in 33 Seconds
Nov 10, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Guy Eats 10 of the World's Hottest Peppers in 33 Seconds
Guinness World Record holder Gregory Foster admits a passion for pain
- It took just 33.15 seconds for Gregory Foster to eat 10 of the hottest peppers in the world. The pain lasted much longer—though not nearly as long as his new Guinness World Record will stand. The hot sauce maker from San Diego actually nabbed the latest of several...
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing'
El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 5, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing' El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
Experts say Sam Baker didn't technically 'climb' California rock formation
Some veteran rock climbers are speaking out after Sam Adventure Baker's ascent of El Capitan made headlines last week, the Daily Beast reports. Experts tell the
San Francisco Chronicle
that the 8-year-old and his father used a technique known as "jugging," in which they used ascenders—...
Check Out the World's
Longest Passenger Train
Oct 31, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Check Out the World's Longest Passenger Train
1.2-mile-long train run by Switzerland's Rhaetian Railway took 8 months to prep
- A Swiss railway company claimed the record for the world's longest passenger train over the weekend with a trip on one of the most spectacular tracks through the Alps. The Rhaetian Railway company ran the 1.2-mile-long train composed of 100 coaches along the Albula/Bernina route from Preda to...
Oct 27, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
This Bird's Record Flight 'Stretches the Imagination'
Bar-tailed godwit flew 8,435 miles nonstop from Alaska to Australia in 11 days, one hour
- You can imagine how grueling a drive from New York City to Alaska must be. Now picture arriving at your destination in the Last Frontier, then immediately turning around and heading right back to the Big Apple—all without a second driver or stops for food, drink, or bathroom breaks....
But Was It
Jul 25, 2022 3:27 PM CDT
She Ran Crazy Fast. But Was It Too Fast?
Some questioned how Tobi Amusan shaved 0.08 seconds off 100-meter hurdles record
- That Tobi Amusan of Nigeria won the women’s 100-meter hurdles Sunday at the world track and field championships in Eugene, Ore., wasn't a big shock. The 25-year-old has won big in the event at other games and finished fourth in the Tokyo Olympics last year. That she set...
on This Beach
Jul 13, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Nearly 800 People Went Skinny-Dipping on This Beach
769 showed up to break the Treasure Coast record at Blind Creek Beach in Lucie County, Fla.
- There's a big "thank you" on the Treasure Coast Naturists website at the moment, expressing gratitude for all the naked people who came out to help break a Florida state record over the weekend. WTSP reports that 769 people in the buff on Sunday converged on Blind Creek...
It's the Biggest Freshwater
Fish Ever Recorded
Jun 21, 2022 7:19 AM CDT
It's the Biggest Freshwater Fish Ever Recorded
Giant stingray in Cambodia weighs in at 661 pounds
- Researchers say they've encountered the largest freshwater fish ever documented—a giant stingray stretching 13 feet long, more than 7 feet wide, and weighing some 661 pounds. "In 20 years of researching giant fish in rivers and lakes on six continents, this is the largest freshwater fish that...
In 1962, His Pacific Crossing
Set a Record. Now, a New Feat
Jun 5, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
In 1962, His Pacific Crossing Set a Record. Now, a New Feat
Kenichi Horie becomes oldest person in world to cross the Pacific solo
- Japanese adventurer Kenichi Horie at 83 just became the oldest person in the world to complete a solo, nonstop voyage across the Pacific Ocean—and he says he is still "in the middle of my youth" and not done yet, reports the AP . Horie returned home as he crossed...
He Broke a Bungee-Jump
Record Shockingly Fast
Jun 1, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
He Broke a Bungee-Jump Record Shockingly Fast
Francois-Marie Dibon hit 431 jumps with nearly half-a-day to go
- In 2017, Mike Heard of New Zealand set a world record for most bungee jumps over 24 hours with an impressive 430. Now, a Frenchman has made that hair-raising stunt look rather mild, topping Heard's record in just over 12 hours. After a 50-minute rest, 44-year-old Francois-Marie Dibon went...
Paper Airplane Record
May 26, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Guinness Confirms Paper Airplane Record
It soared more than 252 feet
- When you're trying to throw a paper airplane farther than any paper airplane has gone before, paper matters. Conqueror CX22 100gsm, described by
as one of the stiffest out there, was what three men used to make a paper airplane that Guinness World Records has confirmed went...
Stack of 7 M&Ms
Takes the Cake
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Stack of 7 M&Ms Takes the Cake
Master balancer Ibrahim Sadeq of Iraq is latest to claim the world record
Will Cutbill had just eight and a half months to enjoy his Guinness World Record for the Tallest Stack of M&Ms at five. The Brit's achievement on Jan. 31, 2021 was the first of three times the world record would be broken in a 15-month span, per...
World Record for Slackline Walk
Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
May 4, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
World Record for Slackline Walk Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
Rafael Zugno Bridi crossed 59-foot line between 2 hot-air balloons 1.2 miles above Brazil
- Guinness World Records has officially recognized the highest slackline walk, at more than twice the height of the world's tallest building. Brazilian daredevil Rafael Zugno Bridi claimed the record after crossing a 59-foot slackline suspended between two hot-air balloons some 6,236 feet, or nearly 1.2 miles, above...
This Guy Has Spent
84 Years at the (Same) Office
May 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Guy Has Spent 84 Years at the (Same) Office
Centenarian Walter Orthmann has broken a Guinness World Record
- A man in Brazil has just broken his own Guinness World Record for the longest stint at one company. And after 84 years, Walter Orthmann is still excited to get up and go to the office. He's a 100-year-old sales manager at textile company ReneauxView, which was called Industrias...
Ultrarunner Camille Herron
Can Definitely Outrun You
Mar 5, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Ultrarunner Camille Herron Can Definitely Outrun You
She has earned the right to compare herself to fine wine
- Whether you are an elite marathoner or someone who only runs if you are being chased, Camille Herron’s latest feat will impress. It happened Feb. 19 at the "Jackpot Ultras" in Nevada, site of the 2022 USATF 100-mile Championships. Yes, a 100-mile race. That’s roughly the distance...
Spends All of
Jan 28, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Idaho Dad Spends All of 2021 Breaking World Records
David Rush says he broke 52 world records last year; Guinness has so far confirmed 43 of them
- David Rush spends more time than the average person trying to break world records, and he racked up 150 of them since 2015, according to the bio on his website . Now, the Idaho author and entertainer who calls himself "one of the most prolific Guinness World Records title holders...
This 90-Year-Old Fish
Likes Belly Rubs
Jan 27, 2022 2:09 PM CST
This 90-Year-Old Fish Likes Belly Rubs
Australian lungfish Methuselah is believed to be world's oldest aquarium fish
- Meet Methuselah, the fish that likes to eat fresh figs, get belly rubs, and is believed to be the oldest living aquarium fish in the world. In the Bible, Methuselah was Noah's grandfather and was said to have lived to be 969 years old. Methuselah the fish isn't...
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to
Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
Nov 7, 2021 6:00 PM CST
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
He did the trail in sections for better weather
- An 83-year-old from Alabama started walking when he retired more than a quarter-century ago — and never stopped. M.J. “Sunny” Eberhart strode into the record books Sunday as the oldest hiker to complete the Appalachian Trail. Eberhart, known by the trail name Nimblewill Nomad, acknowledged that despite having...
It's a Potato So Big
It Has a Name
Nov 5, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
It's a Potato So Big It Has a Name
Doug, the New Zealand spud, could be a new world record holder
- Colin and Donna Craig-Brown were weeding their garden in New Zealand on Aug. 30 when Colin's hoe struck something big just beneath the soil's surface. After Colin pried it out, he scratched away a bit of the skin and tasted it. A potato. "We couldn't believe...
Oct 18, 2021 2:53 AM CDT
Tony Bennett Sets Another World Record
For his latest album with Lady Gaga
- Tony Bennett has set a Guinness World Record, his fifth. The 95-year-old is now officially the oldest person to release an album of new material, the recordkeeping organization has confirmed.
Love for Sale
, Bennett's collaboration with Lady Gaga, was released October 1, CNN reports. Bennett, who has Alzheimer's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.