Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Thailand: We Busted
$1B in Ketamine...
Oh, Wait a Second...
Nov 25, 2020 7:27 AM CST
Thailand: We Busted $1B in Ketamine... Oh, Wait a Second...
Turns out the cops busted a lot of trisodium phosphate
- Thailand's justice minister is walking back claims of the country's largest ever ketamine bust as it turns out the substance seized was actually an everyday product, appropriately labeled. About 475 bags of a white, granular substance were seized from a warehouse in Bang Pakong district, Chachoengsao province, on...
Critics to Cops:
Aug 22, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Critics to Cops: Don't Give Ketamine During Arrests
The drug has led to hospitalizations and even deaths
- Police stopped Elijah McClain on the street in suburban Denver last year after deeming the young Black man suspicious. He was thrown into a chokehold, threatened with a dog and stun gun, then subjected to another law enforcement tool before he suffered cardiac arrest and died: a drug called ketamine,...
He Went to Get
an Iced Tea. His
Jun 25, 2020 8:50 AM CDT
He Went to Get an Iced Tea. His Death Spurred an Outcry
Colo. governor says his office will take closer look at 2019 death of Elijah McClain
- Last August, a 23-year-old unarmed black man died after an incident involving the police in Aurora, Colo. Now, Gov. Jared Polis says his office will examine how the state can assist in the investigation into Elijah McClain's death amid renewed public interest in the case, per the
Fixing a Flat.
Next Killed Him
in case you missed it
Mar 8, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
He Was Fixing a Flat. What Happened Next Killed Him
Jamie Britt was given a shot of ketamine by a South Carolina paramedic
- When a South Carolina cop came upon Jamie Britt last September, he was drunk, shirtless, and polite. "Yes, ma'am, no, ma'am," he's heard saying on bodycam video as the two discuss the flat tire he's trying to change in Mount Pleasant. She gets him...
Study of Shrimp Has
an Unwelcome Surprise
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 5, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Study of Shrimp Has an Unwelcome Surprise
Every one tested in UK study had traces of cocaine
- How's this for an unwelcome surprise in a study of freshwater shrimp: Every one tested in a study of 15 different sites in Britain's rural Suffolk County had traces of cocaine, reports the
. Oh, and traces of the drug ketamine were widespread. Also showing up: a long-banned...
Nasal Spray Derived From Party
Drug Approved for Depression
Mar 6, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Nasal Spray Derived From Party Drug Approved for Depression
Esketamine, for treatment-resistant depression, to be administered by experts
- The FDA has approved a new fast-acting depression treatment derived from a party drug . Nasal spray esketamine from Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Pharmaceuticals contains an active portion of the ketamine molecule. As a generic anesthetic, ketamine or "Special K" is increasingly available for depression, but costs a pretty...
EMS Staff Used
on People at
Jun 18, 2018 3:07 AM CDT
EMS Staff Used 'Date-Rape Drug' on People at Cops' Request
Minneapolis police accused of abusing power
- Ketamine, a powerful sedative used on both humans and animals, is referred to as a "date-rape drug" in the Minneapolis police manual because it can alter or erase memory. It's also used to subdue suspects at the request of Minneapolis police, according to a city report. The report...
This Party Drug
May Soon Treat
Aug 18, 2016 7:48 AM CDT
This Party Drug May Soon Treat Depression
Clinical trials on ketamine now underway
- A controversial party drug might become the first new treatment for depression in about 50 years, reports CNN . Clinical trials are underway focusing on ketamine or "Special K" and its reported ability to ease depression , particularly in those who don't respond to other treatments. Initially used as an...
Club Drug 'Special K'
Could Treat Depression
May 21, 2013 10:56 AM CDT
Club Drug 'Special K' Could Treat Depression
Study suggests drug for physical pain could treat psychological pain too
- Doctors use it as an anesthetic and ravers use it to hallucinate, but a new study indicates that ketamine might have another trick up its sleeve: treating depression. A new study found that the drug the kids call "Special K" is effective at treating major depression compared to an...
Drug Users Worldwide
Fall into 'K-Hole'
May 23, 2009 12:28 PM CDT
Drug Users Worldwide Fall into 'K-Hole'
Ketamine remains legal in some places, but can cause severe problems
- “Special K” isn’t part of the most important meal of the day. It’s part of a dangerous trend that’s seeing recreational drug users turn to ketamine, a substance commonly used as a horse tranquilizer, GlobalPost reports. In humans, ketamine induces a hallucinogenic, immobile state. “Everything...
Partying Brits High on
'Special K' Horse Drug
Jan 15, 2009 3:17 AM CST
Partying Brits High on 'Special K' Horse Drug
Cheap ketamine pushing aside cocaine
- Horse tranquilizer "Special K" or ketamine has become one of the most popular illegal drugs in Britain, pushing aside cocaine, according to a crime survey. Ketamine—which can be swallowed, snorted, injected and smoked—can cause respiratory failure, but its low cost and reputation for being "safe" and...
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
As House Burned, Georgia Mother Allegedly Killed 3 of Her Kids
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.